• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Do you all use mounts? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
243¢
Lots of macros I see state that it's best to run without a mount when using nav or any of the movement commands in the macros.

Even saw a shaman ini that said "your shaman should be melee-ing the mob."

Question is, do you sit any of your toons on mounts or no? Is the benefit of perma-sitting outweighed by the hassle of dealing with the mount?

Lots of macros I see state that it's best to run without a mount when using nav or any of the movement commands in the macros.

Even saw a shaman ini that said "your shaman should be melee-ing the mob."

Question is, do you sit any of your toons on mounts or no? Is the benefit of perma-sitting outweighed by the hassle of dealing with the mount?
if possible i keep my cleric on a mount - and i don't have it melee - maybe sometime in the future, but for now, with how fast incoming damage happens, i don't want my cleric target swapping to the mob and back and forth - might be worth exploring in ToV since undead and such, however.

Shammies get melee juice so prolly melee with ur sham if you can

Different folks have different needs based on a whole multitude of things - if you don't want to melee, don't sweat it.

I'd really like to see dbg expand the implied target healing (target of target) to all heals and not just the hybrid classes. eq2 had this and it was very nice for healing/debuffing

I do, where possible. When I move about I pause all macro's then issue a command that dismounts on all and also does dual invis (because I can). I have a separate pause for my "driving" toon. I move around using Pause > Invis > Follow > Unfollow > Unpause > Uninvis ; it's been the most reliable way for me.

e.g.
Pause:-
/dgge /mqp

AllInvis:
/dex CLERIC /alt activate 1212
/dex ENCHANTER /alt activate 1210
/dgga /dismount

DropInvis:-
/dgga /makemevisible

As a ranger, I don't see much benefit other than looks. Cool watching me shoot arrows from a horse but looks akward when in melee with the mob. All of my casters - chanter, wiz, mage and sometimes shaman use mounts. Unless they want to get in and fight! Then they drop the mount and go toe to toe!

Yeah I would never use a mount with melee or tanks. Casters, I assume all use mounts. The .inis almost always have mounts in the buffs sections. And my SHM uses a mount.

You would lose a lot of DPS with a melee toon on a mount. Lots of fights are over fairly quickly and the additional time it would take for positioning on a mount isn’t worth the missing DPS IMO

As a ranger, I don't see much benefit other than looks. Cool watching me shoot arrows from a horse but looks akward when in melee with the mob. All of my casters - chanter, wiz, mage and sometimes shaman use mounts. Unless they want to get in and fight! Then they drop the mount and go toe to toe!

As a ranger main, being able to be mounted is HUGE if you're doing full burns. In a legit full burn a ranger can go from full mana to OOM in under 90 seconds. A mount helps extend that just a bit more.

I have found Mounts to be very handy for my caster characters. But using a mount and trying to melee, they overshoot the approach and waste too much time moving forward, turning around, moving forward again because of the increase velocity while mounted. Suppose I could add a DPS condition to /dismount . . .
but for the casters it benefits them the sitting mana regen speed without the sitting agro, so definitely worth it.

Personally I hate using them! HATE! Just small movements seem to interrupt spell casting due to the "over run" a mount seems to do. Its almost like mounts are sliding on ice (no ToV pun intended) even when they move just a couple of steps. Having face mob or rear or any other set up causes your toon to move. While on foot they plant solid and cast, whereas on a mount they tend to slide and then plant, causing interrupts in spell casting. Some ini get buggy where casters just wont sit and med. JBs wizard wont sit and med (though I have never looked into it). These prickly pear toons I have to usually put up on mounts for obvious mana issues.

The general rule is if you are a non melee mana user then sit on your mount all else stand. For melee you should use your mount just to get the buff "if the buff is worth having" then dismount.

whats the command to make it so your mount doesnt over shoot and keep bouncing back and forth every fight
No command, I think only the Knight AA mounts have instant stop, maybe a raid one. All other mounts have that bounce effect if you are running and sudden stop. If you have a Knight AA Mount, I also believe all that characters mounts also get the 'instant stop' ability.

whats the command to make it so your mount doesnt over shoot and keep bouncing back and forth every fight
there isn't one, that is one of the "tradeoffs" with using a mount.

I haven't had anyone actually sit on a mount in a very long time.

static camping with casters in old content? sure I could see that
modern game? i haven't found much use as i tend to huntercamp/chase with all of my toons anyhow

There are reasons to use mounts (rare) but mana regen is NOT one of them. You guys need to look at how much mana you med on your mount vs how much you would save because the fights are shorter because you were smart and started swinging your proc stick,

I use mounts when I have a camp, either a static camp or a mobile one with sic tank.

I always Dismount when traveling because inevitably the one on the mount gets stuck if you're going up or down.

I have two macro buttons one to make all my casters Mount up and one to have them dismount.

As to my SHM meleeing. I found that it doesn't make a huge difference either way but once your tank is Beefy enough you may as well.

I only use a mount in the lobby (or wherever) after a rez.

My stats fully recover in under 4 minutes as opposed to over 10 without the mount. Even with bards singing etc

Other than that they seem useless. Don't get the same regen when just out and about and not recovering from a rez, and they are not that much faster than running. Unless you have a long distance.

My healers don't melee a Mez can break on a large pull and two can start whacking the healer. Dead healer =dead group. Meleeing is a choice you should make for yourself with casters. I don't personally.
In an instance, away from prying eyes - melee everybody except healer. That includes refraining from melee on shaman if only heal option. My decision to mount up is more to do with where my group is assembled and who might observe certain behaviors that I would rather not be displayed in live zones.

I use CWTN and my casters spell book will get stuck open if I use a mount. I use frame rate limiter on all characters and it still happens. I also have it happen on 7 different computers, even if I only have 1 character running on it. So I do not use mounts anymore. It got annoying trying to figure out why something happens, only to realize it was the stupid book that CWTN did realize was open. I love CTWN plugins, so I'd rather go without mounts.

Question - Do you all use mounts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back