• IS THIS SITE UGLY? Click "RG3" at the very bottom-left of this page to change it. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Guide - Several things I learned as a newbie recently.

RedCents
834¢
Hi I'm a newbie sharing some tips. I started on MQ a few months ago and there was much to learn. MQ2 mostly just works by itself but some stuff you gotta figure out as you go. Luckily there is already an answer to everything on this forum, but if it helps other newbies like me save some time, I am gonna post the few questions I had and the answer.

Prerequisite:
Use EQBC, it makes everything so much better! You turn it on in your ini files for each character in the part that says EQBCOn=1
1 is on and 0 is off for a lot of things in these ini files. With this you can have your characters talk to each other, tell you important stuff, and you give them commands from any character. I use it all the time.
2019 edit: There is a new alternative to this now called MQ2DanNet which is newer faster better sexier. The commands are slightly different. This guide was written with EQBC commands, so you can change those if you use DanNet instead.

Search inside a page:
You can search the forum for answers with the search box at the top. But if you want to find something on a big page like this, press CTRL F and you can search for a word or phrase on that page and it will jump right to it. Once you start editing your character ini files, you will probably use this a lot. Say you added a new spell called Flaming Bolt and the character isn't casting it. You can just open your ini and do CTRL F for Flaming and it will jump right back to that part so you can fix it.

What is MQ2 and KISS and how do I use it?
MacroQuest2 is like the machinery in the background that makes everything work.
KissAssist (KA) is like the driver of the machine, it is the front interface that lets you set things up easily and make characters play by themselves.
It works so well that you could go afk and your characters will play themselves! This is against the rules on most servers, but even so, MQ2+Kiss is good enough to do it. Most people just play one character and then have some other characters that follow you and behave like real people. They cast buffs/heals/nukes in a smart way. But to make them work well, you have to spend the time to setup their file to set exactly what they should do, and when. This takes time but you only need to do it once, and then they will work great forever!

Check out the many beginner guides on this forum and search for anything you need. But the basics are to install the beginners pack, then load your characters and do /mac kissassist PutYourTankNameHere on them and it creates an .ini file for each character. This contains all the categories you need, and now you put your own spells and rules into these categories. It is simpler than it looks at first, but you have to type it in the right way. Also you can copy other peoples ini files, there are a lot on this forum. Just remember when you copy someone elses file, you may need to change some things to make it work on your character, especially if they are higher level.
But stick with it, and always keep tweaking towards perfection. Soon you will be so used to the way the files work that you would be able to write your own from scratch.

Best way to start?
Start small and simple, take your time, don't try to setup everything at once. Start by getting the characters to buff you automatically when you engage the macro. Click off some buffs and check that they rebuff you. Next step is to go to a lower level zone, preferably with light blue enemies. Set up some heals and basic dps, and you can injure yourself on purpose and check that they heal properly. Next you can go pull a mob to the group, your other characters should automatically engage. Healers should heal when you reach a certain health percent, nukers should blast stuff down without stealing aggro, melees should get behind the enemy and smack it, and characters should do debuffs like slow or snare or whatever. Once you are happy that it is working well, go and pull 2 or 3 mobs. If you have a mezzer, get them setup so that they take care of adds.

Get used to how it feels to play with automated characters, and get a feel for what your group can handle. Do bigger pulls to find out your limits. Always keep tweaking your ini files, they start off basic, but in time they should be able to play as well as a real person!

Once you are happy that they all do their job well, you can do some more advanced things, like setting up a camp spot that characters will stay within, and run back to after chasing a mob or whatever. You can also setup a character to pull automatically.
Also I recommend making your own folder and copy all your ini files in there as a backup, once you are happy with them. So if you ever screw something major up, you can at least go back to a recent backup.
Also, you should Bookmark some of the most useful pages. I spent my entire first month referring to this page over and over. It taught me so many things and answered most questions I had.

How do I make my party follow me?
There is a beginners way and an uber way, but both are useful. Beginners way: In your ini file there is a ChaseAssist= part but I think that is best set to 0 because I don't want everyone hugging me all the time. Instead you can just type /chaseme from your main character which will tell them to start following you. To turn it off, from your main you can do /bca //chase which tells everyone to stop following you. It works fine, but sometimes running through a tricky dungeon the characters will get stuck on obstacles so there needs to be a better way. And that works like this:

Check your MacroQuest.ini file has this under [plugins] MQ2AdvPath=1

This plugin comes as standard with the basic redguides download, but for me it wasn't enabled as standard, so this is how you turn it on. You now have access to a bunch of useful controls but the main thing is the better follow. From your main guy you can now type /afollow and the characters will follow you. But with this version, they will follow your exact steps! So if you are running through a zone and you sidestep some rocks and trees, the following toons will follow those exact steps. So they wont get stuck! Just remember if you goof around sidestepping or something before setting off, they will do the exact same thing. Also this means that if people see you, it will look suspicious, so for that reason I still use the first option (/chaseme) whenever I am near people, because it looks like regular autofollow. Away from people I use the /afollow because it is far better.

How do I start and stop it all?
To start everyone's macro type (or make a hotkey that says this):
/bcaa //mac kissassist YourTanksName

To end everyone's macro type /bcaa //end
The bcaa part is an instruction to all your logged in macroquest characters, then you need two // to do slash commands. So with one press of this button, my team starts working automatically, I let them buff up, and then I'm ready to rock. Remember to use the stop hotkey when you go near other people like in PoK. Also you can pause the macro instead of stopping it completely with //mqp on instead of //end.

It is hard to read the ini files.
You get used to it, trust me. But also you can put your own spaces in and it works fine. You can even do colors and change the font sizes and stuff, there are examples on this forum. But for me I like to just have a space between each section and it is easier to read. So an example of my ini files is like this:

[SpellSet]
LoadSpellSet=1
SpellSetName=1

[Buffs]
BuffsOn=1
Buffs1=Echoing Loop of Ryken
Buffs2=Daggerspike Shoulderguard

[Melee]
AssistAt=99
MeleeOn=1
FaceMobOn=1
MeleeDistance=75
StickHow=front
AutoFireOn=0
UseMQ2Melee=1

etc...
p.s. Also, reduce the size of your sections with the size part. Most sections have that option, for example in dps it says DPSSize=25 which tells that section to have 25 dps lines. But you can reduce this for however many you need. No point having 25 dps sections on a Cleric that only uses 1 dps or maybe none at all. In that case just turn it to DPSSize=1 and this will make the files shorter and easier to read.

My Mage keeps spamming his mana rod but it is on cooldown
I doubt the new version of Kiss has this problem, but I'll mention how I fixed it in an old version. Turn conditions on, and in the conditions part for the mage's modrod:
${Me.ItemReady[Rod of Mystical Transvergence]}
Bear in mind that kiss11 has some differences with conditions and I haven't used it yet so this might need to be tweaked a bit. But you can also convert old conditions into kiss11 conditions by doing this:
To convert your conditions, type /plugin mq2kisstemplate and then /maketemplate

My computer is lagging like crazy!
This one confused me because on PEQ I was boxing 19 characters at once on the same PC. But when I started real EQ a few months ago, I could barely even run 5 characters.
The solution is make sure these plugins are enabled:- mq2viewport, mq2cpuload, and mq2fps. Everything runs so much faster now!
From your main character type: /bcaa //plugin mq2fps this will turn the plugin on, and then type: /bcaa //fps 10,60 this will tell the characters to all have 60 fps when you are viewing their screen, but 10fps when they are in the background. This really helps! You can tweak these numbers how you like but for me, this was great.

There is more you can do to improve performance and I don't want to make this thread too big so search for any other tweaks. This thread had some good info, especially the post by Playbetter, but there are many threads that really help. If you want to have multiple characters visible on screen at once, then you will need to do /plugin mq2fps unload but for me, I like to play my main character and the ones in the background just do their job without causing lag.
p.s.:
I used to use WinEQ2 but it had some bugs and isn't even supported anymore, and I found the staff to be rude. Enable the plugin called MQ2AutoLogin and it does most of the same things, and the other plugins above do the rest.
p.s.
If you don't mind a one off payment of 10 bucks to the guy who made macroquest, he also made this plugin which is amazing. It basically replaces mq2viewport, mq2cpuload, and mq2fps into one slicker and better plugin.

My Mage stops casting when my tank is injured?!
Change this in your mages ini file to say CastingInterruptOn=0 instead of 1. It maybe starts disabled now but on an older version it was turned on which kept stopping the mage. You should have that interrupt set 1 on your healers though, because you want them to stop whatever they are doing and heal the tank when he is injured.

How do I have my healer heal the correct people?
I wanted a fast heal if my tank gets really low, but the same fast heal for my other characters if they take a bit of damage. So I did this:
[Heals]
HealsOn=1
Heals1=Qirik's Mending|40|MA
Heals2=Qirik's Mending|70|!MA
Heals3=Call of the Ancients|30
Heals4=Union of Spirits|20
The first line tells the character to heal the MA (my tank is my Main Assist) if he gets to 40%. The second line says if anyone except the tank gets to 70%, then heal them. This is just an example, my real heal sections are more fancy. But the MA and !MA part was really useful to make healers work in a more slick way.
P.S. it didn't work sometimes but that might be because I was playing on an old version. I think with newer version of Kiss this should work.

What is MQ2Melee and should I use it?
When I got MQ2 and kiss, this was set to enabled in the ini files, yet a lot of the high level ini file examples that I was learning from had it turned off. So I had to figure out what it was and why some people turned it off. Basically it is a plugin that comes as standard that will tell every class to do certain useful things for that class. So on warriors it tells them to use taunt, bash, kick, etc. On other classes it does a few things like tells them whether to use banestrike or not, but it doesn't do much else for them.
For a long time I had my Warrior working really well with just MQ2Melee (and a lot of conditions in the mq2melee file). But once you setup kiss11 well, it is best to turn mq2melee off, or it will overrule your hard work.

My mage only gave 1 weapon to his pet?
You can tell the mage to give 2 weapons and you can even tell them exactly what weapons to give. For me his ini line looks like this:
PetToys1=Grant Spectral Armaments|Summoned: Spectral Shortsword|Summoned: Spectral Iceblade
The first part tells him what spell to cast to create the bag full of weapons. Then the after the first | it tells him what weapon to give him first. And then another | and it tells him the second weapon to give. You can use the same weapons if you want, I just like to give him a spectral blade and an ice blade.

My character was working and now it is not :C
I have screwed up my characters many times, but it is only ever one small thing you recently added to the ini file that breaks them. My first tip is to always leave the ini file open in your text editor. So when you make a few changes, save the file but leave it open, now tab back into the game and run the macro again and test it out. If something is wrong, you can tab back to the text file and just press Ctrl Z to undo your last change, now you can save it again and it should work again. But it is still worth only making changes bit by bit, and remember what you are doing (or make notes). So if you change a few things and it stops working, you know exactly what those few things are, you can change them back and it should work again. Now you can make the changes one by one and figure out which one causes the problem. And again, I recommend backing up your ini files in a separate folder somewhere, just in case you permanently mess them up somehow. (It happens).

How do I have my tank use his area taunt? (Or any character use their area stuff like area slow etc)
I was being a noob and trying to do this with his DPS section and conditions. But there is already a section which handles this perfectly. Find the characters [AE] section in their ini file and put the abilities or spells in there, and then tell them how many mobs there should be for it to trigger. So for my warrior it looks like this:
[AE]
AEOn=1
AECOn=0
AESize=5
AERadius=58
AE1=Wheeling Blades|3
AE2=Area Taunt|3|Mob
AE3=Resplendent Glory|3
AE4=Rallying Roar|3
AE5=NULL

So in this case if 2 mobs come, he just fights as normal and my mezzer will take care of the add. If 3 mobs come, the tank uses a few useful area aggro grabbing abilities. It works well. He uses it before my mezzer has a chance to do an area mez which is perfect, the tank is best to aggro them all and then the mezzer takes care of the adds without being interrupted. And you can use this section for any class you want, so shammys can AOE slow, enchs can AOE tash, wizzies can drop their little totems or whatever you want to do.

My mage/wiz keeps stealing aggro:
You really want your dps casters to spam their spells as fast as they can. But sometimes if they do it too efficiently, they will grab aggro. You can prevent this in many ways, but I think these are the best 2 ways. First off, there is already a specific [aggro] section in the ini files. On my Wiz he can use some good wiz anti-aggro spells like his Concussion spell in there. (Concussion is essential for a pro wiz!) My mage only has an AA called Silent Casting. Depending on your level, you might have a lot or just one. So my mage's aggro section is like this:
AggroOn=1
AggroSize=2
Aggro1=Silent Casting|82|>
Aggro2=NULL

This tells the mage to nuke happily until his aggro meter gets to 82% or higher, and then he will activate Silent Casting. It works well.

Another thing you can do is use conditions. They might seem like an advanced pro thing but they are not too complex and they are just so... cool and powerful! They can do anything and really tweak a basic ini file into a finely tuned pro file that makes the character behave in a far more intelligent way. In your characters ini file, change ConditionsOn= to be set to 1. On older kiss you had to do this on each section as well, I am not sure if the new version does that so just check. Then run kiss and it should add conditions sections to your file. So my mages dps section is like this:

2019 edit: This if for the old version of kiss! In kiss11 it does conditions in a slicker way. I will re-write this section when I get the chance. But here is the old conditions anyway, they will still be useful if you know how to do them in kiss11.

DPSOn=2
DPSCOn=1
DPSSize=5
DPSSkip=1
DPSInterval=1
DPS1=Malosinete|99|once
DPS2=Ruinous Servant|98
DPS3=Twincast|97
DPS4=Shock of Argathian Steel|96
DPS5=Spear of Magma|95

Then in the conditions part you give rules for each spell:

DPSCOn=1
DPS1=Malosinete|99|once
DPSCond1=FALSE
DPS2=Ruinous Servant|98
DPSCond2=${Target.PctHPs} > 65
DPS3=Twincast|97
DPSCond3=${Me.AltAbilityReady[Twincast]} && ${Target.Named}
DPS4=Shock of Argathian Steel|96
DPSCond4=${Me.PctAggro}<77
DPS5=Spear of Magma|95
DPSCond5=${Me.PctAggro}<77

It seems complex but it isn't really. The first line is just the same as your usual ini file. The second line is the condition which makes rules for the first line. In this example, for Malosinete there is no condition (the main line already tells it to cast it early and only do it once, which is fine). But on the second one, it shows Ruinous Servant which is my mage's spell that sends a bunch of mini pets to attack. The condition line below that says ${Target.PctHPs} > 65 which is telling him to only use it if the target is at 65% health or higher. I don't like him using it on mobs that are nearly dead, he may as well just nuke those down. The twincast command just tells him to only use it if Twincast is ready to be used, AND if the target is named. Otherwise I would rather he save it. The last 2 are the nukes, and it tells him to only use those if his aggro is below 77%. If it goes above that, he will just chill for a moment. My tank is strong so my mage rarely gets high aggro, and if he does, he will be using Silent Casting anyway. But still, occasionally he might get high aggro and this will prevent him from nuking when he already has high aggro. These conditions can do almost anything, and the best way to learn them is to just start copying what other people use and then mix and match them to suit what you want to do. If you are a coder or a genius you can figure them out yourself or make your own, but for me I just copy others, and once you get used to reading them, you learn how they work and you can put them together to do anything you want. I copied so much from here. Not everyone uses conditions but some people are like me and have a huge boner for conditions so you can just find those files and learn so much. (And copy all the bits you need and put them together how you want).

What is left?
There is a lot more great stuff you can do with MQ2 and Kiss. I think once you have these basics down, you should get MQ2Nav running and learn how to make your own nav meshes unless you can find a bunch of them somewhere. They are really easy to make though, and it lets your team navigate the zone really well and not get stuck on anything. Also with MQ2Nav you can be on the other side of a huge zone and tell your characters to come to you, and it works! And you can automatically travel to places and characters etc.
Also if you ever go AFK and leave your characters fighting, you really need to have MQ2Posse set up. I recommend getting the GTFO.mac macro which will set up posse for you, and also lets you do a bit more.
Also look into getting MQ2Hud set up well, there are a lot of components and customisation you can do to them and it gives you so much useful information any time you want. How did I live without it?! It can lag your game if you do too much but mostly it is fine. The only thing that lagged for me was a hud section that shows all nearby nameds. But I solved the problem by just making a hotkey that turns the nameds section on for 10 seconds, and then turns itself off. I don't need to see it 100% of the time anyway, so I just press the button when I want to know what nameds are near.

If you like this guide you might also like this:
Hotkeys to save time and trouble
https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/useful-commands-hotkeys-to-save-time-and-trouble.298/

Last edited:
RedCents
834¢
I wish lol, I'm only level 90 ish so far. But I got there from level 1 so it has been a long road. I could share those though if anyone is interested, although I haven't perfected them too much because they keep changing as I get new spells and figure new stuff out.

RedCents
1,097¢
Thank you for this! It got bookmarked in my "Best of Redguides" folder! I need to re-read this entire thing more slowly but then there are several of your tips I'm going to implement!