• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Ryzen 3950x - 16 cores @ 4.7Ghz!!!!! (1 Viewer)

I can load about 9 groups on the 2700x. Probably run into a GPU bottleneck before you use all of that CPU. No one believed me when I said intel better watch out when the first generation of ryzens were released. Go benchmark that 3950x vs almost anything intel has right now and it will come out ahead way ahead.

I can load about 9 groups on the 2700x. Probably run into a GPU bottleneck before you use all of that CPU. No one believed me when I said intel better watch out when the first generation of ryzens were released. Go benchmark that 3950x vs almost anything intel has right now and it will come out ahead way ahead.
What are your stats with that load? Memory and cpu usage?

I'm looking forward to the threadrippers from this generation as well. Should be brutal. Sadly they don't yet seem to have a similar laptop ryzen chip yet that competed well in the 6c/12t range.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the threadrippers from this generation as well. Should be brutal. Sadly they don't get seem to have a similar laptop ryzen chip yet that competed well in the 6c/12t range.

Threadripper is supposed to have over 50% performance increase from previous generation.

Using AMD RX 580 GPU and 64 gbs of 3200 DDR4. Ram really isnt an issue you use about 600 mbs per instance and CPU wise .5 to 1.5 % You do notice some system lag though probably too many instances up for an 8 core CPU.

I think the key is all in the various configs. Been trying to get my CPU down better to get more bots than mq2fps + m2viewport using mq2eqwire but not managing it. Do you run bots with low resolution, luclin models etc?

I'm looking for 2x32 ddr4 ram cl14 or cl16, only can find lower mhz in this config, anyone able to suggest higher for the ryzen 9 3900x? Possibly with rgb features

after a while the RAM usage drops to 32GB, so I am guessing you can run 12 on 32GB RAM

Thats because windows 10 moves a lot of what EQ uses to virtual memory. Click the memory tab and screenshot that :) You should have over 90gbs committed. I have 101 with 9 groups and the problem is you cant clear that without reloading all the toons and it keeps going up and up and up. Go to details and screenshot how much ram is committed to each eqgame.exe mine are over 3 gbs each.

Thats because windows 10 moves a lot of what EQ uses to virtual memory. Click the memory tab and screenshot that :) You should have over 90gbs committed. I have 101 with 9 groups and the problem is you cant clear that without reloading all the toons and it keeps going up and up and up. Go to details and screenshot how much ram is committed to each eqgame.exe mine are over 3 gbs each.

I wonder why it treats EQ1 and EQ2 memory so different. On EQ2 Windows has each instance using nearly 2GB, and 15% CPU (if frame limited to 50FPS) on a 3930K. Maybe they do something like encrypt the memory or something there?

I just ordered my build. Went with the AMD 9 3950x, ROG Thor 1200w PS, NZXT Kraken x73, Asus ROG Strix 8550F gaming board, Geforce RTX 2070 Super Strix, 128gb G.Skillz 3600 RAM, Samsung 2TB PCIE4 M.2 x2. Will post pictures when it all arrives and is put together.

I'm running a 3900x, but struggle with anything more than 16 or so clients running. I get a lot of freezing if I tend to go over that limit.

I'm using ISboxer on an emu server with RoF2 client. Are you using any special config to get that many clients running with decent performance?

I am running a Ryzen 9 3950x (32 cpus) with an old GTX980 and I run 24 toons with zero problems. I no longer need to use mq2 wire. My cpu usage is about 20% on each core and I use about 16k MB out of 32 when running all 24. I should probably add more just to see but I am too damn lazy. I do not overclock this system, have not found a reason to yet.

I run a 3950x with 2070 Super OC and 128gb of DDR4 3600 with 21 toons and never use more than 26% of CPU and 35% GPU and about 32gb out of the 128 with zero issues. I also have NVMe memory they load super fast.

$3500...
giphy.gif

I tried a 3970x setup (32 cores 64 threads) version and eq ran very poor on it. Even after tons of tweaking. I did a 3950x setup and it ran far better than the 32 core version did.

If you want the best of both worlds, cores and speed then just get a W3175X the intel 28 core desktop version.
Doesn’t AMD down clock the per core the higher the core count? If so would explain why the lower end cpu ran better. Faster per core performance.

Doesn’t AMD down clock the per core the higher the core count? If so would explain why the lower end cpu ran better. Faster per core performance.

The 3970 is 3.7 across all cores or should be. The 3990 is the one thats only like 2.9

I don't see why the 3970x would run bad with EQ honestly.

The 3970 is 3.7 across all cores or should be. The 3990 is the one thats only like 2.9

I don't see why the 3970x would run bad with EQ honestly.

It under performs because basically their higher core cpus are just multiple cpus tied together under the hood. Where intel 28 core is 1 cpu the amd 64 core is really 8 8 core cpus. The issue is how windows talks to each core, and it doesnt do it well although its getting better.

It under performs because basically their higher core cpus are just multiple cpus tied together under the hood. Where intel 28 core is 1 cpu the amd 64 core is really 8 8 core cpus. The issue is how windows talks to each core, and it doesnt do it well although its getting better.

That's how all the threadrippers are. The 1st gen ones suffered from this, but the newest ones were supposed to have improved greatly in this.

That's how all the threadrippers are. The 1st gen ones suffered from this, but the newest ones were supposed to have improved greatly in this.

They are better but still no where close to intel on windows platforms. Dont get me wrong, I love my 3950x but hated my 3970. Even though I think the W3175X is the best cpu on the market and I love it the price is just stupid.

Well, folks can always following the mq2 on linux guide hanging out on the forums if they're worried about how Windows handles NUMA processors. *grin*

For what it's worth thought the third gen I posted above I believe has a single NUMA node design so hopefully the Windows kernel shouldn't be quite as stupid with it.

Once you go past a certain number of accounts on the same computer don’t they get flagged and you have to add a phone number for them all? I remember reading where a guy was specifically told he had to keep adding phone numbers because they felt he had an unusually high number of accounts, even worse the thread said you could only register up to 10 accounts to the same number if I remember right.

since you guys are talking about AMD I figured id share this since i just heard about it 2 days ago

not saying use that specific link but I guess windows normal power plan messes with the AMD stuff and they use their own power plan that you have to install yourself. I guess it greatly helps performance on AMD chips.

More googling for you guys I guess LOL

Begins casting resurrection on an old thread:

I am looking for some tech help. I am having issues with more than 30 clients running. I get graphic freezing and lag. Sometimes swapping windows is giving me issues where everything freezes for 5-10 seconds.

system:
3950x
64g ram
3070ti
1tb NVME

MQ2:
EQwire
Kissassist
CWTN plug-ins

External Programs:
Gina

EQ Settings:
Old Models
75 FPS/30 fps
Pixel shaders/environmental 2.0 off
Spells:Me + NPC
Most other settings set to “medium”

thanks for any input

I am looking for some tech help. I am having issues with more than 30 clients running. I get graphic freezing and lag. Sometimes swapping windows is giving me issues where everything freezes for 5-10 seconds.

system:
3950x
64g ram
3070ti
1tb NVME

MQ2:
EQwire
Kissassist
CWTN plug-ins

External Programs:
Gina

EQ Settings:
Old Models
75 FPS/30 fps

thanks for any input
have you considered checking out mq Next? the performance increases are pretty substantial especially with the > Framelimiter <

great video. I have not switched over to mq next. I need to check it out. Maybe this weekend.
How hard is the learning curve? I haven’t been following it a lot. Thanks for the suggestion!
I would download with the vv launcher -> run knightly's migrator utility -> run it.

brain is still working on the easyfind replacement - but most other stuff should be pretty much as you'd expect it.

system:
3950x
64g ram
3070ti
1tb NVME

MQ2:
EQwire
Kissassist
CWTN plug-ins

External Programs:
Gina

EQ Settings:
Old Models
75 FPS/30 fps

thanks for any input

- Try to separate EQ from Windows main storage device (Like move it to D drive instead of C).
- I would lower Foreground FPS to 60fps, it's not that bad for EQ.
- Try to go to Low instead of Medium in settings. (Assuming you're running 30 instance)
- GINA needs real-time EQ logs reading, moving EQ to another storage device helps. Or try to create a RAMDRIVE for EQ logs for GINA to use.

Like Sic said, new MQNext comes with this priceless tool, the Frame Limiter. GL :)

Tech - Ryzen 3950x - 16 cores @ 4.7Ghz!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back