• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Funny - Tell me you’re and old gamer without saying you’re an old gamer. (1 Viewer)

Pre-EQ story time:

My friend and I would make our own custom DOOM and Warcraft 2 maps to play coop over dialup. The problem is his computer would never pick up when I called his house. Therefore he always had to call me. Now, I lived with my grandmother then and we had three phones in the house, one in her bedroom, one near the kitchen, and one in my room. I had to silently make my way through the house after she was asleep and unplug the cords from the wall in her room and kitchen. I often forgot to plug them back in the next day and she always was upset when people said they called and no one picked up. I'm sorry, grandma. :sweat:

4363652346.jpg

Insane Clown Posse minted FTW as the latter... I guess you know you are old when you can reference pre 2k ICP songs
Yeah but an old GAMER not just prove yer old lol :)

For just old: who remembers watching the M*A*S*H finale its first airing?

I remember the whole class was ecstatic on the last day of school before any break because they'd wheel the special computer cart in so we could communally help the teacher play Oregon Trail

Hey we established in your birthday thread I have kids older than you lol...and I am trying something new: I have Bluetooth earbuds somewhere for my phone, and I even have photodeposit..both what, 10-15 yrs after they came out? Lol
lol

I remember haveing an Atari back in the day, the power converter (atleast thats what i think its called) was broken , so my dad (electrical engineer) connected the power thru a speed controller for old electrical trains to it. To get it to work the power (speed) had to be set to a certain point or it would not turn on.

Looked a little bit like this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38462153...55-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

One of my favorite old games I played on my Tandy computer. You played a human in a robot world and you had friendly robots where you could go inside them. But the only way to make them do anything was to rewire them and actually program them with basic boolean I/O logic. Wire it to go forward but if the front bumper hits something stop thrusting and move up. when that bumper hits stop and move forward. Stuff like that.

I was like 6 playing this game and had to just.... figure it out.

Robot_Odyssey_Title_Screen.png

37d05276-7113-47b8-aec8-656f9e49cdef.png

retrieving_token23e8c.gif

My first video game was Pong in the early 70s. My first computer game was by a dude named Scott Adams, adventure land. I loaded it using a tape drive onto my 4K memory TRS-80. When I first started EverQuest, it was through AOL on a dialup modem. The first evening I played, I drowned and consented someone to loot my corpse for me. I used to drop coin and relog onto another toon to transfer money. I died seven times in a death loop after forgetting to rebind after a Naggy raid.

Oh yeah, and in August, I'll officially become a grandfather. I 'aint young.

I left Ultima Online to play Everquest.

Same. Played EQ and tons of MMOs since 99 but really have only stayed with EQ. I might have been one of the first boxers when I realized my warrior needed a healer, so I 2-boxed a warrior and a cleric on 2 systems and on 2 different IPs beginning in May of 1999. I think at that time they frowned on playing more than one character at a time, but I am not 100% on that. Might have been a gray area, thus why I went to such lengths to conceal it.

Same. Played EQ and tons of MMOs since 99 but really have only stayed with EQ. I might have been one of the first boxers when I realized my warrior needed a healer, so I 2-boxed a warrior and a cleric on 2 systems and on 2 different IPs beginning in May of 1999. I think at that time they frowned on playing more than one character at a time, but I am not 100% on that. Might have been a gray area, thus why I went to such lengths to conceal it.
I remember meeting my fist boxer when I played on Test server. Back in like 03-04. On test there was a "high end (for test) raiding alliance. Not one guild but it was exclusive and was the only group that raided near end game. Usually an expansion or so behind live.

Well then there was the B-Squad and I say that lovingly. It was everyone deemed "not good enough" to raid with the big dogs. It was run by this guy who mained a SK. And he also ran a shaman and a 3rd box. I was BLOWN AWAY at this concept. One day he "loaned" me his spare account that had a cleric on it. That was when I learned the power of alt-tab boxing. With my trust bard I would /melody, auto attack, and then alt tab over to the cleric and just spam heals because I had no Idea how to play a cleric. It was cool doing content I was never able to do before.

I remember meeting my fist boxer when I played on Test server. Back in like 03-04. On test there was a "high end (for test) raiding alliance. Not one guild but it was exclusive and was the only group that raided near end game. Usually an expansion or so behind live.

Well then there was the B-Squad and I say that lovingly. It was everyone deemed "not good enough" to raid with the big dogs. It was run by this guy who mained a SK. And he also ran a shaman and a 3rd box. I was BLOWN AWAY at this concept. One day he "loaned" me his spare account that had a cleric on it. That was when I learned the power of alt-tab boxing. With my trust bard I would /melody, auto attack, and then alt tab over to the cleric and just spam heals because I had no Idea how to play a cleric. It was cool doing content I was never able to do before.
TSF? Raided with them during that time.

That is all!
altho star wars was dope but you needed one of those new fangled pentiums to get good FPS...like 10 hahaha

Attachments

• dos.jpg
    dos.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 3
  • star wars.jpg
    star wars.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 3
TSF? Raided with them during that time.
Going back almost 20 years now. I couldn't tell you if I wanted to. I was in game buddy buddy with a frequent Test Server GM. He gave me a custom title before you could earn/buy them, and when I told him I was "retiring" from EQ, he GM summoned me into Plane of Time A so I could finally see it since I never would get there naturally.

Well one of the big raiding guild guys must have been watching something because he WENT OFF on me in PM about how I was a cheater or hacker because only his raiding group was allowed in Time and I better get out lol.

Inspired by a guy in a help thread saying he still uses TeamSpeak, which brought back old memories.

What can you say that let’s us know you’ve been MMOing for decades? I’ll start with:

Asking my family not to use the phone because I’m getting online to play EQ, Duke Nukem, or Age of Empires; and then 20 minutes in someone tries to make a phone call and I get kicked off.
convincing my dad to let me get a second phone line so I wouldnt have to worry about someone calling or wanting to use the phone.

im thinking leisure suit larry but that was one of the " modern " games. pong before atari the one with the cords and just a knob in the middle. yes and the black and white tv

Funny - Tell me you’re and old gamer without saying you’re an old gamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back