• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Plugin - MQ2Radar (1 Viewer)

I've ran it, was recently revived by @eqmule . Some tips from my experience from testing. Loading the plugin didn't work immediately on my character I had up when I loaded the plugin. Once the plugin was loaded and I started another account up it worked on that account.

I've tried /loadskin default in order to attempt to get it to work on the account I loaded the plugin on and that did not work.
I've camped to character select and that did not work.
I've used /unload and reinjected and that did not work.
I did not try closing the instance of EQ and reloading it, but based on it working for other characters that didn't have an instance running I expect that it would cause it to work.
It's fancy for sure. I liked the look over it. The options built into the commands were useful for customizing it.

Hope that information helps.

Yes the way dsurface works it needs to be loaded from the start... that means a complete restart of eq is needed first time u use it after u load the plugin... but from that point on it should work.

This plugin was recently revived, but it still has some issues. There are cases where quest NPCs won't respond to you if it's loaded, and it doesn't work on some computers for reasons we haven't figured it out.

Usually if I start with radar enabled in the mq ini file, the client will instantly close as soon as it starts. So I do Load All, and see the clients open and close. If I turn radar off, it logs in as normal. I did login one time with the radar enabled though and it seemed to work well.

Working in windowed mode for me, did not test in full screen mode.
NPC like those for heroic adventure don't respond me if radar loaded (like Clayton Teek in PoK, and like Snazlieu in Bixie Warfront)
May be it can work in full screen, will try next time

How does one get this to work?

Plugin loaded, /radar help brings up options. Tried setting map to on, mode to 1 and pressing F11. Not much success.

Rebooted, reloaded, same thing.

It does not work when it is windowed.
I wonder that is why it does not work under ISX.

I do not use ISX to box more than one very often but I primarily use it because it allows me to use my G13.

P.S. Full screen looks terrible with my near 4K monitor.

Yeah u have one of those machines... on one of my computers it only works in full screen mode on the laptops it works fine in windowed mode, I don’t know why because I don’t have the source for dsurface.dll

Yeah, I wish I could get a hold of that source. I wonder how bad it would be to engineer a replacement. Not being a programmer, I just wonder if anyone has tried this.

You will laugh, but I got it to work.
Apparently with isboxer, you can run EQ full screen but with my window size, I had to edit the client so that the window size and full screen size are the same.

Then it worked correctly. And lo and behold, I have my radar again for the first time in like 3 or 4 years.

I can also switch between my two toons and still works.

I have tried to get hold of @odessa , I sent mails, asked around, I can’t get hold of him, I don’t particularly have the time to rewrite dsurface from scratch so if anyone knows how to get hold of him let me know.

Due to the NPC hail bug being impossible to fix without the source to dsurface, it has been suggested that we remove MQ2Radar from Very Vanilla.

If you disagree with the removal and want us to keep MQ2Radar in VV, please reply here or in the issue above before this coming Wednesday (the 20th)

Last edited:
I wonder if someone would be interested in rebuilding it from the ground up. I would be willing to pay decently for something like this.... i have always found it useful. Just wish when i loaded a new map pack that the radar would use that.

I wonder if someone would be interested in rebuilding it from the ground up. I would be willing to pay decently for something like this.... i have always found it useful. Just wish when i loaded a new map pack that the radar would use that.
as @eqmule mentioned we don't have the source code for dsurface.dll - so it would literally be a re-write

I know that, i thought offering up money might entice someone to try. this is really nice as it shows the map with a player 'north' and the map shows, too.

We are once again discussing the removal of this plugin due to the issues it creates for users and that fact that there's closed-source components that we don't fully understand.

Does anyone besides @Gnits still use it? Gnits, would you be OK with that? Have you tried MySEQ?

I dont use it anymore. My suggestion is if you dont want to use Myseq is to use mq2viewport. Stretch your eq window across another monitor and set viewport to show eq on the one and move the map to the other and just leave it open.

Was playing around with this tonight on the ROF2 build, pretty cool little plugin that I had never tried before. Unfortunately the map part of it wasnt working for me because I play with my viewport off in a small box in a portion of the screen /viewport 800 0 800 600 and this caused the background map to detach from the circular radar portion that shows the mobs - it worked perfectly if I set the viewport to full screen though, didnt seem to have problems with /say but I didn't test that much and I guess they're there if it hasn't been fixed, or maybe never affected ROF2?

Think I will keep using it see how I get on, I use the map a LOT to look at mob positions and its a bit annoying how it blocks so much of the screen, will see if this reduces the problem. Pity the .dll is closed source and can't be updated.

Redbot updated MQ2Radar with a new update entry:

Add option to use a custom map folder.

/radar Mapfolder "Brewall's Maps" requires the use of Quotes for multi-word Map folders. /radar Mapfolder clear Will clear the use of a map folder and use the default maps. default is not to use a mapfolder. Adds new INI entry "MapFolder" which is loaded with other character specific options, and saved when the MapFolder is changed.

This is in response to #97

[URL...

Read the rest of this update entry...

since the last update MQ2 loaded is messing with the say from NPC, they talk to me when hail, but won't take any say after, I can't get a task or advance them unless I unload MQ2 camp and get back in with MQ2 unloaded. Is anyone having the same issue or know how to fix it?

since the last update MQ2 loaded is messing with the say from NPC, they talk to me when hail, but won't take any say after, I can't get a task or advance them unless I unload MQ2 camp and get back in with MQ2 unloaded. Is anyone having the same issue or know how to fix it?
Do you have mq2radar loaded?

Plugin - MQ2Radar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back