• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - Hotfix 22/5 (1 Viewer)

The Everquest's hotfix did not fix my problem with the game Everquest, sad face :(

Now I has to manually switch between the resolutionens everytime I wanna play the game. Bummer.

The UI is all skewed, the mouse cursor is not on point unless I do the res thingy.. really annoying when you enter the game with 12 toons :P

You didn't sound grumpy. You pay for the service, you shouldn't feel bad for wondering when it is going to be up and running. Unfortunately, there is no way to know when the developers are going to have it up and running again. All a part of the game.
This is a MQ patch, that then feeds to RG download. If you want to pay MQ people:
The MacroQuest scene has two standout developers who have requested tips from RedGuides users: @brainiac and @dannuic

To keep our favorite software modernized and updated, please consider contributing.

brainiac's tip thread is here:
Donate to the MQ Dev "brainiac"

dannuic's tip thread is here:
Donate to the MQ Dev "dannuic"

Thank you!

This is a reoccurring thought, MQ and RG are different, attached but separate entities.

This is a MQ patch, that then feeds to RG download. If you want to pay MQ people:
The MacroQuest scene has two standout developers who have requested tips from RedGuides users: @brainiac and @dannuic

To keep our favorite software modernized and updated, please consider contributing.

brainiac's tip thread is here:
Donate to the MQ Dev "brainiac"

dannuic's tip thread is here:
Donate to the MQ Dev "dannuic"

Thank you!

This is a reoccurring thought, MQ and RG are different, attached but separate entities.
Thank you for posting this

For those that wonder why it takes so long to update and why there is no Set time frame or an update let me summarize what happens. When things are running smoothly each time Everquest sends the EQ client a message it breaks it down into a pack of data (for ease of use we will say it's a 1000 characters long). In that packet is going to be information on what you see around you, other characters, movements of npcs, messages, chat, etc. Basically everything other than what you load off your hard drive (which is the maps, the graphics, the textures, etc). Now back 20 years ago the developers didn't want the data in the open so that just anyone could see since of course that would lead to rampant cheating. So they scramble up the data into different segments. Each of those segments carries different information for what is going on around you. Now for the most part with each patch Sony/Daybreak (forgive me for calling it sony I am old school) has been changing the order of the segments in those packets and then updating the Everquest game client so that it expects all the information to come in in a very specific order to display it. So MQ comes along and tries to decode it. After a while of human guessing they figure out the first segment of a 1000 characters might be level information, then the next might be npc information, then weapons, the direction of travel and so on. So they have MQ reading it based on that. Now patch day hits, and all of that order is scrambled. So it takes physical time and guess work to go through and match up what they know with every packet transmitted back and forth. Eventually as they start finding things out they can piece together the order of the packet. This is a slow laborious process of guesswork mixed in with a lot of testing (like for instance leveling a character to know when a packet piece goes from level 1 to 2 for instance). So part of that "it will be done when it is done" is the time process it takes of going through and decoding those packets to figure out the order. There isn't a way to speed it up (they have tried over the last 20 years and have got it down pretty well compared to the early days). There also isn't a way to predict how long it will take. Now as others have pointed out if you have the autologin setup where it doesn't update the eq client, and the eq server still accepts the packets from the old client then yes you may be able to play with RG if you don't patch. This isn't always a guarantee, it just depends on what type of patch Daybreak pushes out and if the server forces the packets back and forth between the client to be the new ones are not. In the meantime as others have pointed out, now is a good time to remember those developers who are doing this grueling work for our benefit.

For those that wonder why it takes so long to update and why there is no Set time frame or an update let me summarize what happens. When things are running smoothly each time Everquest sends the EQ client a message it breaks it down into a pack of data (for ease of use we will say it's a 1000 characters long). In that packet is going to be information on what you see around you, other characters, movements of npcs, messages, chat, etc. Basically everything other than what you load off your hard drive (which is the maps, the graphics, the textures, etc). Now back 20 years ago the developers didn't want the data in the open so that just anyone could see since of course that would lead to rampant cheating. So they scramble up the data into different segments. Each of those segments carries different information for what is going on around you. Now for the most part with each patch Sony/Daybreak (forgive me for calling it sony I am old school) has been changing the order of the segments in those packets and then updating the Everquest game client so that it expects all the information to come in in a very specific order to display it. So MQ comes along and tries to decode it. After a while of human guessing they figure out the first segment of a 1000 characters might be level information, then the next might be npc information, then weapons, the direction of travel and so on. So they have MQ reading it based on that. Now patch day hits, and all of that order is scrambled. So it takes physical time and guess work to go through and match up what they know with every packet transmitted back and forth. Eventually as they start finding things out they can piece together the order of the packet. This is a slow laborious process of guesswork mixed in with a lot of testing (like for instance leveling a character to know when a packet piece goes from level 1 to 2 for instance). So part of that "it will be done when it is done" is the time process it takes of going through and decoding those packets to figure out the order. There isn't a way to speed it up (they have tried over the last 20 years and have got it down pretty well compared to the early days). There also isn't a way to predict how long it will take. Now as others have pointed out if you have the autologin setup where it doesn't update the eq client, and the eq server still accepts the packets from the old client then yes you may be able to play with RG if you don't patch. This isn't always a guarantee, it just depends on what type of patch Daybreak pushes out and if the server forces the packets back and forth between the client to be the new ones are not. In the meantime as others have pointed out, now is a good time to remember those developers who are doing this grueling work for our benefit.
no one is going to read this.

use paragraphs.

you should only us the eq launcher on eq patch days that require you to update - or AFTER a hotfix where MQ also was rebuilt.

you should instead use autologin to launch your toons - and avoid the eq launcher any time you can
Autologin is a truly special and helpful resource. There is no reason not to use it. If you try it you will love it!

Is it policy not to discuss the sharing of everquest files on the forums? For legal reasons or otherwise? Seems like it wouldnt take much effort for someone to share the files required to un-bork your EQ install until the macroquest patch. Unfortunately not in the habit of checking the forums daily and was under the false impression that the auto login thing was just netting me convience. I will definitely use it moving forward of course.

Well said, @qaldyari! Unfortunately, I created a new toon so went through the normal eq login screen to open up and create an acct/toon so that could ultimately put in the autolog info. Unknowing there was a patch (my own fault). So when I set up the autogroup and stuff, wasn't able to log in as the clients were different. Oh well. It's been over 24 hours now, and it still says patchday/unavailable. However, I am a patient man. Sometimes, people fail to realize that while 24 hrs may seem like an eternity, those of us who have used RG/MQ2 for years know that we have saved an INFINITE amount of time using these programs, and we have been able to do in days/weeks what would normally take months to do (i.e. level a toon from 1 to 125 and max out it's aa's in 3 weeks vice almost a year or more. We must all be patient and fight off the jonzing/fiending for MQ while the powers that be take care of business on their end so that we are able to take care of business on our end :)

Is it policy not to discuss the sharing of everquest files on the forums? For legal reasons or otherwise? Seems like it wouldnt take much effort for someone to share the files required to un-bork your EQ install until the macroquest patch. Unfortunately not in the habit of checking the forums daily and was under the false impression that the auto login thing was just netting me convience. I will definitely use it moving forward of course.
We're just not sharing random .exe files this is the internet

It is a file safety thing. Not really a legal one. EXE files can do all sorts of damage to your OS if they are compromised.

I can respect that I suppose. I have a cavalier attitude with regards to stuff like that so it didnt immediately cross my mind. Can always format/reinstall and everything related to money/indentity theft is insured /shrug. Totally get it though, thanks for the reply.

I can respect that I suppose. I have a cavalier attitude with regards to stuff like that so it didnt immediately cross my mind. Can always format/reinstall and everything related to money/indentity theft is insured /shrug. Totally get it though, thanks for the reply.
we're not kicking in people's doors to see if they have shared an eqgame.exe - we're not not having it posted on our forums

I have my characters set up so incase MQ isnt available i can hotbutton some similar setups. And i mimic'd my kissassist to follow hotbutton logic so i "can" box and play. I was just in the middle of doing collection collecting and not having the map showing them is painful, but doable... I only 3box and use mercs so its really just a convenience thing. Quality of life.

Thanks for all the work everyone puts into this.

For anyone deciding to patch on accident in the future, I will be hosting the older files on my site soon where you can get whatever EXE you want from prior patches. It won't have anything prior to "now", but moving forward I will update the list of available files. In the future, just look in my signature for the link to go there to retrieve them or interface files, etc. All files will be safe when uploaded. But, obviously it will be a download at your own risk regardless.

Just for clarity this will NOT be an RG thing but a "Me" thing. So, no association here with RG admins or the site. Again, the link to my site will be in my signature in the next few days.
thanks Doc

For anyone deciding to patch on accident in the future, I will be hosting the older files on my site soon where you can get whatever EXE you want from prior patches. It won't have anything prior to "now", but moving forward I will update the list of available files. In the future, just look in my signature for the link to go there to retrieve them or interface files, etc. All files will be safe when uploaded. But, obviously it will be a download at your own risk regardless.

Just for clarity this will NOT be an RG thing but a "Me" thing. So, no association here with RG admins or the site. Again, the link to my site will be in my signature in the next few days.
He is a Doctor, you can trust him =). Seriously, that's awesome, you're awesome.

i read it thanks for explanation

News - Hotfix 22/5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back