• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - First timer with questions (1 Viewer)

Zoots

Adult
RedCents
161¢
Hello!

I've never played on a live server before until recently. I have a main 111 SK right now who is gold. My friends that I was leveling with quit already and now I've realized how miserable it is to try to do stuff solo with just a merc. I did a duo box once on a TLP and didn't really enjoy managing the second character a lot so I'm naturally interested in things like kissassist so I can play/level. Any other players I run into are doing this as well so I can't group with them anyways. I've had friends use this software before and loved it. I have a few questions, though.

1) How much does it cost to get the 'useful stuff'? I believe there's a tiered subscription and also some paid plugins that people use? What is that all-up cost going to look like?
2) Do you get a free 85 heroic boost when you go gold? Do most people just go gold on their initial characters and try to push them to 110 in the first month? If not, what's the optimal method to 'catch up'?
3) Do you guys use your 6 box to do current era rares and such, or is that too risky of a report?
4) For team composition, I was debating on sk/shm/brd/bst and then either mag/nec or ber/rog. I'd probably prefer the mage/necro for a pet comp but not sure how much worse that group is and how much more painful it is to manage more casters and pets? Is there an advantage of cleric over shm? Seems like the pet setup could be pretty strong with full pet weapons/mask and bard songs but then there's mana to worry about potentially, burstier threat, and squishier characters.

Thanks for the help! I've watched some of the guide videos but haven't started down the path yet. Appreciate any insight.

welcome! give this here a watch:
Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

welcome to the darkside ( or QOL side)

1) How much does it cost to get the 'useful stuff'? I believe there's a tiered subscription and also some paid plugins that people use? What is that all-up cost going to look like?
so you will need lvl 2 I think thats around 10 bucks a month ( or 50 redcents) you can get those by being active on forums and discord! For plugins it depends what classes you have really but figure $20 a year per plugin .. imo don't skimp get plugins for every class you have. You can also use KA but its not as good or easy as
2) Do you get a free 85 heroic boost when you go gold? Do most people just go gold on their initial characters and try to push them to 110 in the first month? If not, what's the optimal method to 'catch up'?
you don't BUT the lvl 100 heroics are worth it
3) Do you guys use your 6 box to do current era rares and such, or is that too risky of a report? Many of us do way more than 6...
4) For team composition, I was debating on sk/shm/brd/bst and then either mag/nec or ber/rog. I'd probably prefer the mage/necro for a pet comp but not sure how much worse that group is and how much more painful it is to manage more casters and pets? Is there an advantage of cleric over shm? Seems like the pet setup could be pretty strong with full pet weapons/mask and bard songs but then there's mana to worry about potentially, burstier threat, and squishier characters.
Play what you want!

Thanks for the info!

1) Is there a plugin for every class available? What do they provide that you don't get from the normal kissassist?
4) Yeah I'm not looking for everyone to pick my choices but just looking for some pros/cons on options because I don't know how things play with the assist tools and I'm not very familiar with high lvl EQ Live class dynamics and what they bring to the table.

If you decide to get redguides level 2, you can just /testcopy any toons (or make some new ones on test if you don't have any on live yet) and try all the available class plugins out there.
The plugins are all $20 per year. The cost of this would look like whatever you are willing to spend with that in mind. You could use them on test server free forever if you desired.
There is not currently a plugin for all classes. Wizard, Druid, Ranger, and Bard are not currently released, but are in progress with some potentially right around the corner (not bard).

The plugins are per class, not per character. So you buy a mage plugin, you can have infinite mages use the plugin assuming you have infinite computers to use.
Kissassist allows granular control of the details of the characters. The plugins do not. But they plugins don't need to be updated as you level, they update themselves and even tell you that you're missing stuff (spells/Discs) that you should have at your level. Burn routines are baked directly into the plugins. Essentially it will allow you to spin up a character you know nothing about, put them in chase/tank/assist mode and pretend they are your best friend who knows how to play their character. Occasionally though your friend is going to take some gear, require you hold their hand and buy all their spells for them, perhaps throw them some milk and cookies on occasion. May need to let them know when you want them to follow you (chase mode) or wait for you to bring stuff back to camp (assist mode).

Honestly the best way to find out what they are all about is to pop on test and level up group. I'd say like SK, Shm, Enc (because no bard), and then toss in 3 DPS toons like Bst, Rog, Ber or something like that.

But be sure to check out >>> Getting Started with CWTN plugins! (Movement, UI Window, Clickies, Pulling, ETC) Check Here First! <<<

Thanks for the info!

1) Is there a plugin for every class available? What do they provide that you don't get from the normal kissassist?
4) Yeah I'm not looking for everyone to pick my choices but just looking for some pros/cons on options because I don't know how things play with the assist tools and I'm not very familiar with high lvl EQ Live class dynamics and what they bring to the table.
1. Not yet, the missing ones are being developed. You can look for what you want in the plugins tab above.
4. If you go all MQ2 plugins by Chatwiththisname and Sic, you will find a nice way for your group to move, etc. Any form of the automated software help has pluses and negatives. a form of negative, is you are relying on the creator to decide spells/actions for you. There is more than just Chat's plugins for automation, but as an example, you can also use BYOS Bring Your Own Spells, and the plugin will use spells you want. A downside is those are not as configurable as KissAssist. You can also mix and match controlling automation. Once you find what you like, you'll be able to move, attack, etc with ease.

Welcome to RedGuides!
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Hello!

I've never played on a live server before until recently. I have a main 111 SK right now who is gold. My friends that I was leveling with quit already and now I've realized how miserable it is to try to do stuff solo with just a merc. I did a duo box once on a TLP and didn't really enjoy managing the second character a lot so I'm naturally interested in things like kissassist so I can play/level. Any other players I run into are doing this as well so I can't group with them anyways. I've had friends use this software before and loved it. I have a few questions, though.

3) Do you guys use your 6 box to do current era rares and such, or is that too risky of a report?

Thanks for the help! I've watched some of the guide videos but haven't started down the path yet. Appreciate any insight.
1. If you have a level 2 membership which is $10 a month you have access to everything but the Plugins and you can run anything you want. I personally have like 10 or 12 Plugins and I also uge RGMercs which is really good for beginners. Mercs come with the level 2 membership like KissAssist MuleAssist etc. You get amazingly useful Stuff with level 2 membership. I personally prefer to run my toons with the Plugins they do an almost human like job of automation and they are designed to play with a tank as lead.

2. You don't get a free 85 for going gold. You get to use journeyman Mercs, you get to use the bazaar to sell you get other benefits. The fastest way to level is to be power leveled. If you are on FV I can power level you free., But there are great methods you can use. Check out the YouTube videos by a guy named HammackJ he gives good new player leveling advice.

3, Most of us Box some of us can do full raids by ourselves. On my server FV people talk about it openly. As long as you don't come into conflict with other players for the most part on my server people don't care.

4, If you plan to use the Plugins you want a Shaman, SK, Beastlord, Necro , Mage and either an Enchanter, Berserker or Rogue depending on your style of play. that's $120 in Plugins but it gives you the best version of EQ you will ever play. And if you decided to make multiple toons like you wanted two Rogues to kill humaniods which is something a lot of use in groups to power level our toons to120, You only pay for the plugin once. One guy was running like 54 Shaman if you made thata per plugin cost that's like 40 cents. I have like 4-6 of everything with 7 gold accounts and expanding 4 Beastlords 1 Plugin, 4 Berserkers 1 Plugin 4 Rogues 1 Plugin 3 Necros 1 Plugin and counting not like I have to stop. Each one is $20 you can buy one use RGMercs on the other toons until you collect all the Plugins. Just buy the SK first.

1. If you have a level 2 membership which is $10 a month you have access to everything but the Plugins and you can run anything you want. I personally have like 10 or 12 Plugins and I also uge RGMercs which is really good for beginners. Mercs come with the level 2 membership like KissAssist MuleAssist etc. You get amazingly useful Stuff with level 2 membership. I personally prefer to run my toons with the Plugins they do an almost human like job of automation and they are designed to play with a tank as lead.

2. You don't get a free 85 for going gold. You get to use journeyman Mercs, you get to use the bazaar to sell you get other benefits. The fastest way to level is to be power leveled. If you are on FV I can power level you free., But there are great methods you can use. Check out the YouTube videos by a guy named HammackJ he gives good new player leveling advice.

3, Most of us Box some of us can do full raids by ourselves. On my server FV people talk about it openly. As long as you don't come into conflict with other players for the most part on my server people don't care.

4, If you plan to use the Plugins you want a Shaman, SK, Beastlord, Necro , Mage and either an Enchanter, Berserker or Rogue depending on your style of play. that's $120 in Plugins but it gives you the best version of EQ you will ever play. And if you decided to make multiple toons like you wanted two Rogues to kill humaniods which is something a lot of use in groups to power level our toons to120, You only pay for the plugin once. One guy was running like 54 Shaman if you made thata per plugin cost that's like 40 cents. I have like 4-6 of everything with 7 gold accounts and expanding 4 Beastlords 1 Plugin, 4 Berserkers 1 Plugin 4 Rogues 1 Plugin 3 Necros 1 Plugin and counting not like I have to stop. Each one is $20 you can buy one use RGMercs on the other toons until you collect all the Plugins. Just buy the SK first.
This was super helpful! Thank you!

How long does it take to power level? I'm on FV. I'm definitely hesitant of spending all of the money on golds and boosts plus the plugins, etc. would add up to $450.

Is bard not a good choice because there isn't a plugin for it? I would assume that bard would be the better choice but I'll have to configure it more myself with kissassist then?

For my bard what I did was use RG Mercs, and manual play from time to time, from 1 to 120 and then switch to Kissassist. The reason for using RG Mercs was that it didn't need to be reconfigured every couple of lvls. That being said you can fine tune a character to a much higher degree more easilly with Kissassist.

Is there a way to manage my 5 boxes separate from my main SK? Like I want to play my SK separately while being able to tab to one of the other 5 but control those 5 together with commands? How do I split my SK out of those commands?

Thanks!

Is there a way to manage my 5 boxes separate from my main SK? Like I want to play my SK separately while being able to tab to one of the other 5 but control those 5 together with commands? How do I split my SK out of those commands?

Unless I'm missing something here, this is what MQ does. You can drive from the SK without any automation and they run whatever automation you like on the other 5. cwtn plugins, Kissassist, RGmercs, etc. The commands can be issued from the SK using dannet or eqbc and the automated toons will execute.

Unless I'm missing something here, this is what MQ does. You can drive from the SK without any automation and they run whatever automation you like on the other 5. cwtn plugins, Kissassist, RGmercs, etc. The commands can be issued from the SK using dannet or eqbc and the automated toons will execute.
I'm basically saying, treat it like two different groups.

I want the SK who is lvl 112 to be off doing his own things. My 5 boxes are like lvl 14, I want to control one of those 5 and run them around leveling while I have my SK in another zone completely. The dge commands will impact the SK I believe? When I don't want him impacted at all by any commands.

I'm basically saying, treat it like two different groups.

I want the SK who is lvl 112 to be off doing his own things. My 5 boxes are like lvl 14, I want to control one of those 5 and run them around leveling while I have my SK in another zone completely. The dge commands will impact the SK I believe? When I don't want him impacted at all by any commands.
SyntaxDescription
/dexecute <name> <command>Executes a command on peer's client. Short version: /dex
/dgaexecute <group> <command>Executes a command on all clients in a group (including own). Short version: /dgae
/dgexecute <group> <command>Executes a command on all clients in a group (except own). Short version: /dge
/dggaexecute <command>Executes a command on all clients in your current in-game group (including own). Short version: /dgga
/dggexecute <command>Executes a command on all clients in your current in-game group (except own). Short version: /dgge
/dgraexecute <command>Executes a command on all clients in your current in-game raid (including own). Short version: /dgra
/dgrexecute <command>Executes a command on all clients in your current in-game raid (except own). Short version: /dgre
/dgtell <group> <text>Echo text on console for all peers in group. Short version: /dgt
/dgzaexecute <command>Executes a command on all clients in your current in-game zone (including own). Short version: /dgza
/dgzexecute <command>Executes a command on all clients in your current in-game zone (except own). Short version: /dgze
/djoin <group> [all|save]Join a group, and optionally write to [General] or [server_character] (all or save, respectively)
/dleave <group> [all|save]Leave a group, and optionally write to [General] or [server_character] (all or save, respectively)
/dnet [<arg>]Set variables such as network interface, change settings in the config file, toggle debug mode, and output group/peer information. No option will
/dobserve <name> [-q <query>] [-o <result>] [-drop]Add an observer on name and update values in result, or drop the observer.
/dquery <name> [-q <query>] [-o <result>] [-t <timeout>]Execute query on name and store return in result.
/dtell <name> <text>Echo text on peer's console. Short version: /dt

I know you can send dannet commands to one of the other 5 (presumably the one controlling the other 4 in that group) using /dex. And no, Dannet itself will not make the main do anything you don't allow/want it to do. The only way I know of would be to set a MT/MA within the other 5 and use /dex commands to send group commands to that toon and if the other 4 are assistant that toon, they will execute.

But to me, that sounds pretty close to afk play. I can't imagine focusing on playing my main presumably engaged in group activities while trying to watch and control a whole different group in a different zone doing different things. If that is the plan, easier to use one screen for SK and then other 5 on a separate screen and use the MT/MA on that screen to control those 5.

I know you can send dannet commands to one of the other 5 (presumably the one controlling the other 4 in that group) using /dex. And no, Dannet itself will not make the main do anything you don't allow/want it to do. The only way I know of would be to set a MT/MA within the other 5 and use /dex commands to send group commands to that toon and if the other 4 are assistant that toon, they will execute.

But to me, that sounds pretty close to afk play. I can't imagine focusing on playing my main presumably engaged in group activities while trying to watch and control a whole different group in a different zone doing different things. If that is the plan, easier to use one screen for SK and then other 5 on a separate screen and use the MT/MA on that screen to control those 5.
Well it's more like, I might go take my SK into the guild lobby and just afk him in there to soak up buffs for a while while I'm leveling my other characters, or I might go kill a few things and then wait for respawns. level my boxes while I'm waiting for those respawns, etc.

I think the solution is what Robban posted. There's a zone wide command only dgz. That should do it I think!

about 10 bucks a month to gain access to level 2, but as said above, be active on the forums and it can pay for itself. CWTN plugins and some of programs cost money, CWTN is 20 bucks for a year per class. I run the mage one and use kissassist on my tank/healer/chanter.

No, no free heroics, periodically they give them out if you are gold though. You can stay FTP until around lvl 75 with a full group, then it starts to get a bit tough unless you do severely lower content than what is recommended for your level. My first group, I did gold on the tank, sold a krono to get cheap upgrades as I saw them. I then krono'd the other 5 accounts, hit autogrant and levelled them up to 115 and all I did was grind AAs until they were maxed. after that I worked on getting them FTP gear/augs.

I only do the free expacs myself, so I'm locked at 115 and CoV except one account that I use to get the gems to make ToL FTP 115 gear. I try to stay under the radar.

If you're running FTP on any dps, go caster. Melee get handicapped by not being able to stack their Hdex. My 3 mages do about 40% more dps than my 3 ftp zerkers. although my zerker ini could be lacking.

Is there a command that spreads them out so they aren't standing on top of each other after a follow me, etc.?

Well it's more like, I might go take my SK into the guild lobby and just afk him in there to soak up buffs for a while while I'm leveling my other characters, or I might go kill a few things and then wait for respawns. level my boxes while I'm waiting for those respawns, etc.

I think the solution is what Robban posted. There's a zone wide command only dgz. That should do it I think!
/dgga sends commands to the current group (when issued by someone in the group) Good to use if your sk happens to be in the same zone doing other things (collecting mobs for example)

some automations have commands, like rgmercs have /kaenform

or use a Lua

Thank you! The Lua worked great.
I got the beastlord/mage/necro/shaman plugins. One thing I can't figure out is how people get the beastlord and shaman to work together for buffing. The beastlord just keeps trying to overwrite the shaman buffs and spamming them indefinitely. Is there a way to disable buffing? I didn't see one yet. My boxes are lvl 41. He keeps trying to overwrite the shaman Health buff with Spirit of Ox.

Hello!

@Zoots my two redcents below:
1) It can be free if you get involved in the community (Redcents)
2) No, RG isn't linked to DBG in any ways...it's like fight club...don't ever talk about Redguides or MQ stuff in game w/ people
3) I run 50+ boxes at the same time. At least 30 are perma 6 grouped working on stuff (epics, quests, earrings, coins for bags, etc.)
4) Nice that's a good start. Play what you like...I usually build everything around Tank/bard/enc/cleric...but I like to keep things super safe. My teams rarely die. 4.1 Yes - Clerics are way better healers and group safety throughout (altough shamans do catch up in the endgame). 4.2 Yes pet build is amazing and reduces how much you stick out when out in the open. Mana isn't usually a problem with a well built pet/caster team. War or SK/Mage/Bst/Bard/Enc/Cleric is amazeeeeeing...
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Last edited:
I got the beastlord/mage/necro/shaman plugins. One thing I can't figure out is how people get the beastlord and shaman to work together for buffing. The beastlord just keeps trying to overwrite the shaman buffs and spamming them indefinitely. Is there a way to disable buffing? I didn't see one yet. My boxes are lvl 41. He keeps trying to overwrite the shaman Health buff with Spirit of Ox.

or

look at the bst one (and watch the vids).

There are various stacking issues EQ side. MQ cant figure it out because EQ lies about stacking. So cast the one you DONT want, add to blocked spells. The let the other char cast the one you want (have to do this on all char/pets). happy days.

or

look at the bst one (and watch the vids).

There are various stacking issues EQ side. MQ cant figure it out because EQ lies about stacking. So cast the one you DONT want, add to blocked spells. The let the other char cast the one you want (have to do this on all char/pets). happy days.
Thank you. I just blocked them all from the beastlord onto the pets and players for now. I'll just keep doing this as I get new buffs, or not buy the buffs.

Please see >>> Getting Started with CWTN plugins! (Movement, UI Window, Clickies, Pulling, ETC) Check Here First! <<<

Discussion - First timer with questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back