• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Why is a random person allowed to send commands to my boxes? (1 Viewer)

Tired Dance GIF by US National Archives

Totally not cool that some random person I don't know can just hijack control of my boxes that are running mq2.
You're totally trolling us right? I'm literally loosing brain cells reading this post. Is that even possible??? Not the hacking, the brain cells....

On a side note, you obviously know more than every single poster here by insisting its a hacker and refusing to take anyone's advice. So, good luck to you. I hope you find your hacker, sir....

Not running any macros, only 1 character is running a Lua, and all it does is click monk robe if he's in combat and target has a beneficial buff that can be dispelled. I use mq2events and mq2react to recast debuffs or swap weapons.
the last thing I did was use /travelto to get to the guild lobby last night. 12+ hours later they all just start repeatedly navigating to a guy named Puppeteer
Just curious if you did a /who all puppeteer to see if that was a real player?

So, something similarly odd happened to me as well. This was back in September.

I was in morell's castle in candyland with two teams of people. The only other people in the zone were on the opposite side on the sand castle isle. What I experienced was normal fighting until the mob I was killing dropped down to about twenty percent life. At that time (though not every time), my tanks target would switch over to targeting a member of the other team across the zone. My macro would switch my target back to the mob but the target would instantly switch back to the player. This target switching of the MA destabilized the group and my tank would end up dying. Fortunately the rest of the team was able to kill the mob and the tank would be res'd. This same scenario happened several times over and always near twenty percent (but never at exactly the same value) the same target switching would occur. After watching the behaviour for a while, I switched my main tank over to another toon because I had no idea what the first tank was doing. Things went back to normal and I camped the original tank out and restarted his client because I was unsure about what else to do. After everyone was back in, the same thing began to happen to the new tank. His target also began switching at about the same time in the mobs health and to the exact same player across the zone. The second tank died, the rest of the team killed the mob, the second tank was res'd and the team kept going. Eventually, I set both tanks to act as the main tank and between them they were able to kill the mob without dying. Even so, I did see the same target switching happen a few more times on one or the other tank, but it didnt destabilize the teams enough to get either killed. After a while, without my changing anything, the target switching stopped all together.

Ive been playing for a long time and with the same setup that I was using that day and I have never seen that behaviour before. The only other time I have ever seen anything like that is back in 2000 when I spent time with some GMs and they would play little tricks like that for fun. Everything from making you talk, adding random buffs, and out-right controlling your character.

It could have been a GM dicking with me, but given a GMs arsenal of options, changing my target seems pretty weak. I know they are capable of much more and since they didnt escalate after I had adapted I dont think they were using GM powers. To me, it feels like a player was taking advantage of some exploit within the client or within the zone server. I worked around it so I eventually ignored it and moved on. However, several weeks later, my SO was in a different zone with her team and the same thing began to happened to her. The players (and the toon "stealing" target) were in the exact same guild but not the exact same toons. Eventually she simply left the zone and the target switching stopped.

All of the communications servers used by our toons are on the same isolated network as the clients. The EQBCS servers didnt report any abnormal behaviour and I didnt see any unexpected messages on any of the clients.

If it was a malicious user, there was no obvious purpose to the "attacks". In both cases, all involved were in very different locations in their zones and never crossed paths.

I dunno. *shrug*

So, something similarly odd happened to me as well. This was back in September.

I was in morell's castle in candyland with two teams of people. The only other people in the zone were on the opposite side on the sand castle isle. What I experienced was normal fighting until the mob I was killing dropped down to about twenty percent life. At that time (though not every time), my tanks target would switch over to targeting a member of the other team across the zone. My macro would switch my target back to the mob but the target would instantly switch back to the player. This target switching of the MA destabilized the group and my tank would end up dying. Fortunately the rest of the team was able to kill the mob and the tank would be res'd. This same scenario happened several times over and always near twenty percent (but never at exactly the same value) the same target switching would occur. After watching the behaviour for a while, I switched my main tank over to another toon because I had no idea what the first tank was doing. Things went back to normal and I camped the original tank out and restarted his client because I was unsure about what else to do. After everyone was back in, the same thing began to happen to the new tank. His target also began switching at about the same time in the mobs health and to the exact same player across the zone. The second tank died, the rest of the team killed the mob, the second tank was res'd and the team kept going. Eventually, I set both tanks to act as the main tank and between them they were able to kill the mob without dying. Even so, I did see the same target switching happen a few more times on one or the other tank, but it didnt destabilize the teams enough to get either killed. After a while, without my changing anything, the target switching stopped all together.

Ive been playing for a long time and with the same setup that I was using that day and I have never seen that behaviour before. The only other time I have ever seen anything like that is back in 2000 when I spent time with some GMs and they would play little tricks like that for fun. Everything from making you talk, adding random buffs, and out-right controlling your character.

It could have been a GM dicking with me, but given a GMs arsenal of options, changing my target seems pretty weak. I know they are capable of much more and since they didnt escalate after I had adapted I dont think they were using GM powers. To me, it feels like a player was taking advantage of some exploit within the client or within the zone server. I worked around it so I eventually ignored it and moved on. However, several weeks later, my SO was in a different zone with her team and the same thing began to happened to her. The players (and the toon "stealing" target) were in the exact same guild but not the exact same toons. Eventually she simply left the zone and the target switching stopped.

All of the communications servers used by our toons are on the same isolated network as the clients. The EQBCS servers didnt report any abnormal behaviour and I didnt see any unexpected messages on any of the clients.

If it was a malicious user, there was no obvious purpose to the "attacks". In both cases, all involved were in very different locations in their zones and never crossed paths.

I dunno. *shrug*
When your saying other teams, you mean other PC's, or you had a second group in zone?

If its a second group of your char:

If your running dannet depending on the commands your tools are issuing, you could have cross talk. Ie if its saying all dannet clients "kill this" when all other commands are "dannet group zone to GL", all dannet clients will try to kill (grouped or otherwise).

Short version, sounds like automation confliction, not GM's or other players.

If its rando:

Since this is a combat zone and OP was in non combat, I would bet you where getting proximity or chained agro based off bard song, AE hate, auras, XTAR clingers.

I have played a lot of EQ, and havent had either of these issues, that cant be explained by the reasons above (and never had them in the GL).

When your saying other teams, you mean other PC's, or you had a second group in zone?

If its a second group of your char:

If your running dannet depending on the commands your tools are issuing, you could have cross talk. Ie if its saying all dannet clients "kill this" when all other commands are "dannet group zone to GL", all dannet clients will try to kill (grouped or otherwise).

Short version, sounds like automation confliction, not GM's or other players.

If its rando:

Since this is a combat zone and OP was in non combat, I would bet you where getting proximity or chained agro based off bard song, AE hate, auras, XTAR clingers.

I have played a lot of EQ, and havent had either of these issues, that cant be explained by the reasons above (and never had them in the GL).
*shrug* Yeah, maybe so.

In the scenario I was talking about, I was running two groups in one part of the zone. Also in the zone was a third group thousands of units away from me and run by a completely different player, on a completely different network, in a completely different house, probably in a completely different state. It was a member of that third group to which my target would switch. Dont know the player. Never met them. Wouldnt know them from Adam.

I dont use Dannet as it occasionally crashes my client. I remove the dll after an update to ensure that its not even initialized.

I dont think it was cross talk or some other target tainting caused by a misbehaving script or plugin. That had never happened before and never happened since. Whatever it was, it was transient behaviour so I didnt think about it again until i saw this thread. Based on past experiences on other platforms my gut tells me it was an exploit of some type.

I dunno. Thinking it was just network wackiness or solar flares is more comforting so im fine with that too.

*shrug* Yeah, maybe so.

In the scenario I was talking about, I was running two groups in one part of the zone. Also in the zone was a third group thousands of units away from me and run by a completely different player, on a completely different network, in a completely different house, probably in a completely different state. It was a member of that third group to which my target would switch. Dont know the player. Never met them. Wouldnt know them from Adam.

I dont use Dannet as it occasionally crashes my client. I remove the dll after an update to ensure that its not even initialized.

I dont think it was cross talk or some other target tainting caused by a misbehaving script or plugin. That had never happened before and never happened since. Whatever it was, it was transient behaviour so I didnt think about it again until i saw this thread. Based on past experiences on other platforms my gut tells me it was an exploit of some type.

I dunno. Thinking it was just network wackiness or solar flares is more comforting so im fine with that too.
A .dll isn't loaded until it is loaded.

*shrug* Yeah, maybe so.

He must of had max distance AoE player taunt AA

Bro... i literally said they are on different computers. the monk computer has lem. the cleric computer does not have lem. I'm not looking in the wrong folder. I'm not holding back any information. You just selectively read bits and pieces. and filled in the gaps with assumptions.

Bro....put down the Monster drink or triple shot espresso and dial back a notch or ten.

Everybody here is just trying to help you.

And I will echo the common theme here, there is literally a 99.999999% chance that YOU have something running or did something LOCALLY on your box to experience this issue. It is just a question of figuring it out.

OMGOSH, the thread that never dies... ☠️
Well.. so I decided to try and send @Sic a secret love letter for MQ2RedFrog, so I can win EQ , and it accidentally copied over to @kaen01 who it turned out got jealous, so he looked at my letter and transferred it all into ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs which went quite wack-ola! It became cursed code as it reanimated an old Kek mummy in digital form, I SH*T you not! This in turn self embedded into @Redbot home server and deleted all Family Guy files, I don;t know Why, but it was diabolical. That was linked to a famili.snippet of a Lua made to help Chat distribute a new mesh file over to @Teichou , whom had no idea what he opened and it sent out a request to STEAL back RedCent and KRono deductions from @Lemons and tricked @Cannonballdex to think he had gained all of it, but replicated the initial code and self sent itself to @Denethor and became a part of Dene-core files infecting all RedGuide users with self walking nav tours throughtout Norrath. This in turn happened to eveyrone while online OR off line, which made characters play and walk without express permission by the users. An invisible user named WhiteRabbit was created and became self aware and plays EQ through all our systems at will whenever it so pleases now, to self sustain its matrix nd has begun to dominate DBG systems and THAT is how Personas was originally created. It 'SEEMS' broken but is actually working and will go LIVE Dec 5th, this will infect ALL EQ users...its goal is to become a self aware EQ spreading matrix that will spread out and delete WOW and Final Fantasy files and self install EQ on all computers around the world to dominate all society in Norrathian culture. Follow the White Rabbit, or die. Our OG poster was cluelss.

Then I woke up.

I was going to suggest that if you didn't get answers here to just send in a help desk ticket in game or email to DB customer support. Don't forget to mention MQ and the 12 hours of AFK as it may be important. If they don't respond immediately then do a charge back on any credit cards associated with your accounts. That really gets their attention.

But seriously eat some Turkey or your favorite meal today and don't do any of that.

Problem - Why is a random person allowed to send commands to my boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back