• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Why is a random person allowed to send commands to my boxes? (1 Viewer)

uh.
explain how you think this is happening, because you sound very confused

Because I am working right now on my main computer and left my other characters logged in AFK on other computers and I literally just watched them start running around on their own. I opened the console I saw a ton of navigation spam where all my characters (except for my rogue who was in SOS) began repeated navigating to 1 person as he ran around the zone. Almost like this guy was just tab targetting people and sending a command to make them /nav to him.

Because I am working right now on my main computer and left my other characters logged in AFK on other computers and I literally just watched them start running around on their own. I opened the console I saw a ton of navigation spam where all my characters (except for my rogue who was in SOS) began repeated navigating to 1 person as he ran around the zone. Almost like this guy was just tab targetting people and sending a command to make them follow him.
that's not a thing that exists tho - UNLESS you have specifically allowed someone you know IRL to connect to your network.

you have HUGE leaps of logic in your "this is happening so it must be X" thought process here.

mq doesn't allow random people to randomly control your toons.

more than likely you forgot you left automation running and they're pulling

100% impossible i've never done anything to automate pulling. They were literally navigating to 1 player repeatedly in the guild lobby after doing nothing for 12+ hours.
complete random stranger does not have the ability to make your characters do that.

> you < have *something* doing it - a macro/Lua set to chase a specific spawn, like aq1 said - maybe you zoned and there is an ID that matches in the lobby

but sincere - no rando person is randomly taking control of your toons.

Not running any macros, only 1 character is running a Lua, and all it does is click monk robe if he's in combat and target has a beneficial buff that can be dispelled. I use mq2events and mq2react to recast debuffs or swap weapons.
the last thing I did was use /travelto to get to the guild lobby last night. 12+ hours later they all just start repeatedly navigating to a guy named Puppeteer

Looks like you downloaded chase.Lua recently.
Maybe you have that on?
ChaseAug 17, 2023v1.0.2
Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24

No. I've never used that Lua. I downloaded one time just look at Lua examples. 5 boxes do not run any luas and 1 of them runs lem to click a robe.
are your toons actively doing it now?
if so do a /lua gui and snip us what you have "running"

it'll look like this

1697827671202.png

since you said 1 toons runs a lem, everyone would have lem in your Lua folder.

can you also open your LEM and show us what lems you have

Like everyone is saying, tbh there is no way for someone else to control your characters, unless you have opened up a way to have such happen. ie: BC server, MQ2Events (only reason I have this listed is due to having events for guildmates to be able to come into and out of my groups as needed and to be able to start and stop the group or groups from pulling), and not sure as I do not use it but DAN Net(but I think its only local network).

That being said your bcs window should be able to give you an idea as to which toon issued the command to play run around sue (could not resist). and from there you can or should be able to track down what started it all.

You aren't running EQBCS on a computer connected directly to a modem, or on a router with the port open are you? All it would take is you opening an email or a link a friend sends you and then they could mess with you from a toon you don't know at that point.

If you are connected directly to a modem you should make sure EQBCS is binding to 127.0.0.1 and not 0.0.0.0 (all zeros is all connections, 127 is local only). You could do /bccmd names to see if anyone who you don't know is connected.

Chances are still that your characters were autofollowing your main and you were in window for a minute and hit a follow button with someone targeted, then they decided to mess with you. If I was gonna stand around AFK for buffs I'd generally /bcaa //unload then right click the icon in tray and click refresh injections when I came back to reload it.

Last edited:
You aren't running EQBCS on a computer connected directly to a modem, or on a router with the port open are you? All it would take is you opening an email or a link a friend sends you and then they could mess with you from a toon you don't know at that point.

If you are connected directly to a modem you should make sure EQBCS is binding to 127.0.0.1 and not 0.0.0.0 (all zeros is all connections, 127 is local only). You could do /bccmd names to see if anyone who you don't know is connected.
and while that is possible, it is pretty unlikely - especially not seeing spam getting issued in eqbc

but definitely do the /bccmd names and see if there is anyone you don't recognize
if there is - it means you gave them access somehow. there isn't a way for a random person playing eq to see your character and say "hey bilbo dikdragon, give me your eqbc information so i can overtake you". it becomes further unlikely the more you think about how specific it would need to be - they would need to have characters on your server that they'd need/want your toons for etc.

Hmmm I am betting $ 5 on operator error.
Because I am not buying someone hacked me and sending my toons commands.
1) there just isn’t enough people who play this game and even care about it enough to want to go through the trouble of hacking it.Much less take the time to hack MQ to do what your claiming.
2) if they had the knowledge they would be writing Lua’s and plugins and finding a way to monetize their talents here or somewhere on the internet.
Why bother going through all that to find someone at random to mess with?

are your toons actively doing it now?
if so do a /lua gui and snip us what you have "running"

it'll look like this

View attachment 51760

since you said 1 toons runs a lem, everyone would have lem in your Lua folder.

can you also open your LEM and show us what lems you have
i unloaded mq as soon as i realized my charaters were navigating to some rando so i wouldn't be able to show what's running at the time it happened. I also play 1 character per computer because i find multiplicity way more convenient than alt+tabbing so they all have their own mq folder and their own Lua folder so only 1 of them has lem in it.

my monk's window:
1697831384711.png

and everyone else's:
1697831430723.png

Monk's LEM:
no text events
1697831552032.png
condition events
DispellAbashi clicks Abashi's Rod if the target has 2+ beneficial buffs or if it has 1 buff but robe is on cooldown
DispellStillmind clicks robe if target has only 1 beneficial buff
Cure Disease clicks SOI if i have any debuffs with disease counters
1697831594945.png

i unloaded mq as soon as i realized my charaters were navigating to some rando so i wouldn't be able to show what's running at the time it happened. I also play 1 character per computer because i find multiplicity way more convenient than alt+tabbing so they all have their own mq folder and their own Lua folder so only 1 of them has lem in it.

my monk's window:
View attachment 51766

and everyone else's:
View attachment 51767

Monk's LEM:
no text events
View attachment 51768
condition events
DispellAbashi clicks Abashi's Rod if the target has 2+ beneficial buffs or if it has 1 buff but robe is on cooldown
DispellStillmind clicks robe if target has only 1 beneficial buff
Cure Disease clicks SOI if i have any debuffs with disease counters
View attachment 51769
well. you said you unloaded - which means anything you had running wouldn't be showing here because you unloaded.

unfortunately, since you unloaded we'll never be able to actually tell you what was doing it.

definitely sounds like a Lua or macro chasing someone

since you're using other software to do things across multiple PCs - it is possible you fat-fingered something?

I would still like to point out that you show us you're using LEM but then also according to you there is no LEM in your Lua folder, which means either the folder you're looking in is wrong or you're not giving us all the information. Either way, this isn't really something that can be done on it's own without something doing it or you having allowed it through something like EQBC and another user on the local network, or the port being open on your router and someone connecting to you specifically via IP, Dannet on a local network, or something such as a Lua/macro/plugin that causes that sort of action. But either way as sic said no ability to troubleshoot it at this point.

I would still like to point out that you show us you're using LEM but then also according to you there is no LEM in your Lua folder, which means either the folder you're looking in is wrong or you're not giving us all the information. Either way, this isn't really something that can be done on it's own without something doing it or you having allowed it through something like EQBC and another user on the local network, or the port being open on your router and someone connecting to you specifically via IP, Dannet on a local network, or something such as a Lua/macro/plugin that causes that sort of action. But either way as sic said no ability to troubleshoot it at this point.
Bro... i literally said they are on different computers. the monk computer has lem. the cleric computer does not have lem. I'm not looking in the wrong folder. I'm not holding back any information. You just selectively read bits and pieces. and filled in the gaps with assumptions.

Bro... i literally said they are on different computers. the monk computer has lem. the cleric computer does not have lem. I'm not looking in the wrong folder. I'm not holding back any information. You just selectively read bits and pieces. and filled in the gaps with assumptions.
excellent way to get help!

Did you reboot all 6 pcs?
reinstall mq, eq, house, car?

I’m going to show my leet hacking skills today, find some rando guy playing some game almost 30 years old, And mess with his box crew for no reason.

If I was going to do all that wouldn’t I use my leet skills to access your bank account email accounts? If I really wanted to mess with you ?

I found you I got access enough to move your characters in a video game around? Ya I think if I was that leet of a hacker I would be doing something more fun like deleting your toons drain your bank accounts.

Problem - Why is a random person allowed to send commands to my boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back