• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Software RGManager (beta) discussion (1 Viewer) 0.0.8852.35864

Currently aware of these three issues:
  1. Widgets aren't appropriately updating on the VeryVanilla page on refresh.
  2. Conditional workflow issue with updating. Not currently causing issues, but could potentially down the line.
  3. We should be excluding the config folder for updates but not installs.
Going to tackle some overhaul on the updating logic to clean things up and fix functional issues, will be a couple days as I get it sorted and unit test but expect a fix sometime Friday-Sunday!

Ionis updated RGManager (beta) with a new update entry:

0.0.8825.22634: Downloading Overhaul, Very Vanilla page tweaks & fixes

Changes:
-Downloading has been vastly modified to allow for more dynamic handling of specific abnormal resources.
-Entropy for files that are in use and marked for deletion over the path of the initialized download has been tightened significantly to prevent any outstanding issues.
-The launch VeryVanilla button & install/update VeryVanilla button have been consolidated in to one button.
-Refreshing now appropriately refreshes the framework elements on the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Just a quick note; a handful of you know this already, but I am currently refactoring resource handling to allow for tighter user control over both how a resource is installed and the full process of installation.

This includes:
-Systems for the user to exclude specific files built in to the file list of existing resources.
-An external, melted resource manager that handles pipelined resources in-case of niche catch scenarios where the user has specific file protections.
-Elevation, continue and cancellation case handling for when the resource download would otherwise fail due to specific file protections.

These systems will give the user more overall flexibility when it comes to resource management and allow for more dynamic installations of resources that may otherwise be customized client-side (such as VeryVanilla).

I will, more than likely, release these over multiple patches to allow for more intensive unit testing on functionality that may need it as well as getting more prioritized logic out faster (such as better elevation handling).

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on where we're headed next! More dynamic resource handling was heavily requested so I figure we'll tackle that before moving on to any extensive additional features. Expect pushes over the next couple weeks addressing these and any other reported issues! :)

Last edited:
I was just testing the RGManager beta, and had some questions. I set it up to DL into a new folder, and the first time I run it, when I look at the resources, obviously all of them still need to be downloaded. It looks like I have to do them one at a time. Am I missing something, or is there a way to download all of the updated resources with one button push? I hope this would be added in the future, if you can. Also, there did not seem to be a way to sort the screens by anything other than the default sort it starts with.

I was just testing the RGManager beta, and had some questions. I set it up to DL into a new folder, and the first time I run it, when I look at the resources, obviously all of them still need to be downloaded. It looks like I have to do them one at a time. Am I missing something, or is there a way to download all of the updated resources with one button push? I hope this would be added in the future, if you can. Also, there did not seem to be a way to sort the screens by anything other than the default sort it starts with.
ty for the feedback!

I was just testing the RGManager beta, and had some questions. I set it up to DL into a new folder, and the first time I run it, when I look at the resources, obviously all of them still need to be downloaded. It looks like I have to do them one at a time. Am I missing something, or is there a way to download all of the updated resources with one button push? I hope this would be added in the future, if you can.
Currently there is no "update all" functionality, but it is heavily requested and planned to be integrated over the course of the Beta! :)

Also, there did not seem to be a way to sort the screens by anything other than the default sort it starts with.
There is filtering based on name & category, but I plan to introduce more advanced filtering (and organizational features for the datagrids holding the resources) in the coming updates!

Last edited:
Currently there is no "update all" functionality, but it is heavily requested and planned to be integrated over the course of the Beta! :)

There is filtering based on name & category, but I plan to introduce more advanced filtering (and organizational features for the datagrids holding the resources) in the coming updates!
I figured you were still in the middle of adding features As with most software, it is a matter of getting the least viable product released first, then adding in all the bells and whistles afterwards. Let me know when you get it to a point where you are ready to start taking suggestions.

Thanks @Sic for directing me to this developement.
I know where the files are and have an automatic and a manual triggered batch to backup whole mq-directory including subdirectories an all files.
so next time I am at my computer, I’ll come back here and will try this nice new version :)

As far as I understand, this contains already my wishes posted at feature-request at the “old” Launcher.

Is it meant, to be able to work in place where the “old” launcher does its job?
If so I will try it and report, if I find any hassles.
I am confident to be able to restore the content of the folders as they have been befor I tried this, if need be.

Thanks @Sic for directing me to this developement.
I know where the files are and have an automatic and a manual triggered batch to backup whole mq-directory including subdirectories an all files.
so next time I am at my computer, I’ll come back here and will try this nice new version :)

As far as I understand, this contains already my wishes posted at feature-request at the “old” Launcher.

Is it meant, to be able to work in place where the “old” launcher does its job?
If so I will try it and report, if I find any hassles.
I am confident to be able to restore the content of the folders as they have been befor I tried this, if need be.
It is intended to, and will eventually, replace the old launcher as a successor. The beta period is to continue adding planned as well as suggested features while ironing out any bugs that folks may run in to! Not to imply that once we're at launch community suggestions will be ignored, RGManager is an ongoing project even after beta so the floor will always be open for feedback as we continue to expand.

Given the nature of RGManager being community-driven, I'm always open to any community suggested changes, features, systems or recommendations! I have to run requests by a particular red robot in charge, but I am always open to anything that may create a better tool overall!

Installation report:
RGLauncher has been running, 6 instances of eq have been active.
I simply closed the RGLauncher ant startet the installation.

On launching the msi, the proposed installation folder has been on my backup-drive, likely caused by some of my settings on my computer.
I changed the target-folder to be within my mq-folder.
Proceeding with the installation there came a message to update .Net:
1710653083377.png
which I confirmed and I was directed to:
1710653228474.png
The "windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.17-win-x64.exe was downloaded automatic but not launched.
So I went to the download-folder and launched the runtime by myself, which ended with a message to have been done successful.
The installation-process ended and I got a new desktop-Icon RGManager.

So the installation went throught smooth.
If it is possible, it would be nice if, after the download of the .Net Update the installation, it would launch automatic.

Report first start:
on launching RGManager the following page popped up:
1710653989074.png
requesting full access to the account, which I confirmed.
The RG-Manager popped up, already showing the list of the ressources.
Filtering by private "plugin" I see "MQ2Shaman", but expected to see here "MQ2Mage" and "MQ2Eskay" as well.
1710654465858.png
The filter "private Lua scripts" at first glance seems to show all luas, RGLauncher shows as well.
The filter "private macros" at first glance seems to show all mac's, RGLauncher shows as well.
The filter "private apps" shows the RGLauncher and VV (Beta) but not VV (life) which I am not sure is what should be shown here. If VV (beta) is shown, I might expect to see VV(live) as well.

The other filter seems as working as intended to me.

The menu-point "add ressources" shows a list of ressources which might be added.
The ressources I don't have purchased a licese yet do show the "purchase" icon, as intended.

The menu-point "maps" is void, so likely waiting for some implementation.
The ressources "Brewall's Everquest Maps" and "Good's Everquest Map Pack" actually are listed at "My Ressources". My guess: eventually they will be shown at the menu-point "maps".

So allover: working as intended as far as I can tell.
I like the design and layout of the manager and the possibillity to use the filter to choose the type of ressources I want to see.
I would like to have the shown list of ressources be sorted alphabetically by default. If I remember well, this has already be mentioned and may come in future versions.

The installation of the manager in place for me seems to have been successful.

Finally I closed the RGManager and relaunched the RGLauncher.
The RGLauncher displayed the latest available version in red, so asking for an update.
Not shure if there was pushed an update in the meantime by coincidence or if the launcher noticed some configuration changes, which he wants to set back at his liking.
1710655684085.png
Clicking "Update" at the launcher produced an Error-Message:
1710655814829.png
suggesting to reboot the computer.
I will shut down the computer and retry the update.
If I find any issues I will report back.

Update:
After the reboot of the computer RGLauncher processed the update without hassles.
As I use Onedrive-sync as an automatic backup for the MQ2-folder, this could be was well the cause for the error-messages shown before.

I closed RGLauncher again and startet RGManager. This second time RGManager launched completely without requesting again authorisation; as I have expected. At RGLauncher I saw that RGMercs - Lua Edition requests an update. At RGManager I cannot distinct, which ressource may need an update and which is actual as is, as all reccources show the "download"-symbol.
1710657171139.png

I closed the RGManager and started the RGLauncher again.
This time, no update has been requested; "last installed" is shown in green.

Update:
After the reboot of the computer RGLauncher processed the update without hassles.
As I use Onedrive-sync as an automatic backup for the MQ2-folder, this could be was well the cause for the error-messages shown before.

I closed RGLauncher again and startet RGManager. This second time RGManager launched completely without requesting again authorisation; as I have expected. At RGLauncher I saw that RGMercs - Lua Edition requests an update. At RGManager I cannot distinct, which ressource may need an update and which is actual as is, as all reccources show the "download"-symbol.
View attachment 59104

I closed the RGManager and started the RGLauncher again.
This time, no update has been requested; "last installed" is shown in green.
There is currently no synchronization between RGManager and RGLauncher. If the original launcher has a resource downloaded, the manager doesn't currently access this information in any way. If the resource is otherwise downloaded through RGManager, upon requiring an update (version has changed site-end), you should see the button change to an Update button. RGManager resource history is handled locally through RGManager, in the future (closer to release) there will be implementation to translate RGLauncher's resource history over to RGManager assuming the original structure allows for it.

This is probably why you don't see a update for RGMercs as it's not in RGManagers resource history. Downloading RGMercs through RGManager, which will replace the current one so if you have user-end modifications to the Lua (via code) make sure you make a backup, will add the resource to existing resources on the current machine and should solve the issue moving forward.

Closer to when RGManager is in a stable enough state to be taken out of Beta, there will be implementation to automatically determine what resources the current launcher already has handled for translation in to the new structure. If this is something folks would like to see sooner, it's definitely something I can prioritize.

As far as the errors being thrown by the old launcher, I have no idea. Seems like a protections (could be caused by read-only, currently in-use, etc. etc.) issue given the feedback r1pt1de has in that dialogue window? I'm not entirely sure

OK, thank you. Did I miss the "launch mq" Button?
I have 3 aktive CTWN-licenses, but only one is listed.
If there is the "launch eq" button and once all CTWN-licenses are listed I can swap to RG-Manager and use it exclusively, so I can help to find further "hickups".
If I use Rg-Manager to download all ressources once, I should not expect any interferences with the Rg-launcher right.
If I understand well, it will create its own database with the downloaded version of the ressources and show an "update" button for those who have newer versions waiting for download.
As far as I understand, everything needed is there, so I can start to use it.

The one error-message of the Rg-launcher likely has been caused by the Onedrive-Synchronisation and if so, would not have anything to do with the operation of the Rg-Manager. Apart from that, it was easy resolvable doing a reboot.
So not a problem.

If there is the "launch eq" button and once all CTWN-licenses are listed I can swap to RG-Manager and use it exclusively, so I can help to find further "hickups".
If I use Rg-Manager to download all ressources once, I should not expect any interferences with the Rg-launcher right.
If I understand well, it will create its own database with the downloaded version of the ressources and show an "update" button for those who have newer versions waiting for download.

The one error-message of the Rg-launcher likely has been caused by the Onedrive-Synchronisation and if so, would not have anything to do with the operation of the Rg-Manager. Apart from that, it was easy resolvable doing a reboot.
So not a problem.
RGManager currently doesn't interact with RGLauncher, they should be working independently of each other yes. :)

What licenses do you own that aren't currently appearing in RGManager and could you toss me a screenshot of how they look in the current grid for you?

So not a problem.

Double check that the resources are being "watched" or else they won't show in "My Resources".

Double check that the resources are being "watched" or else they won't show in "My Resources".
^ What Red said, which resource page is which will be a lot more clear in the following patches as there will be some UI tweaks for ease of access and additional features.

It is more than likely that you own the licenses but you aren't following the resources themselves, if this is the case they will be on the Add Resources page as opposed to the My Resources page.

This distinction will be made clearer in the following updates, not the next one but more than likely the one after that. :)

I also didn't see this question, sorry about that.

If you already have MQ installed, assign the path that holds the MacroQuest executable (and MQ2Main.dll, should be the same) in the settings page:
localpaths.png

For ease of access, you can use the buttons to the right of the textbox to navigate to the folder if you don't know the path.

Once set, navigate to the Very Vanilla page and click this button:
launchmq.png

The function of this button changes whether you need to install or update MacroQuest. If your version is up to date, you can click this to launch MacroQuest. If it isn't, you'll have to update (via the same button) before launching! :)

As a quick side note, there will be a new update sometime between Wed & Fri.

Currently testing and modifying changes that allow for elevation, continuation & cancellation handling of resources seamlessly without user/action interruption. Was a bit intensive so took longer than usual but this should alleviate any issues with resource handling that folks have been experiencing. :)

More in-depth patch notes & such will be posted with the release, but expect it sometime before or on the 22nd!

This is something I brought up that shouldn't be required for purchased items as it differs from current experience and will cause a lot of user support challenges

This solved the issue I had. Wasn't aware.

In order to achive this, I closed RGManager after I sat the 2 missing ressources to "watch" and than I attempted to launch RGManager again via the desktop-Icon. That didn't work. After a while I noticed, that closing the RG-Manager using "X" did not close it but minimized it to systemtray.
1710829171965.png
Right-clicking the Systemtray there was no Context-Menupoint to "Launch RGManager" to bring up the UI again.
So I had to "Exit" the Systemtray in order to be able to launch RGManager. That seems unusual to me.
Don't programms minimizing to Systemtray usually have a context-menupoint to launch their UI again?

Setting up the right pathes made me also finde the "launch EQ" button :)
1710828769787.png
So this point is solved for me also.

To increase potential risks for interferences today I launched RGLauncer and RGManager together.

At this moment I expected some animation of a great explosion on the screens and that both programs attempted to destroy each other.
Nothing like this happened. Both programms do work contemporary seemlessly.

But I noticed a for me unusual behavoir:
Where RGLauncher shows its "running" Status with an "Underline" at the Taskbar when its running, RGManager does not.
This may bring confusion to users and attempts to launch RGManager multiple times, if it may happen, that it does not load ontop of active eq-sessions, as they don't get aware that RGManager is running.
1710829876737.png

Last edited:
This solved the issue I had. Wasn't aware.

In order to achive this, I closed RGManager after I sat the 2 missing ressources to "watch" and than I attempted to launch RGManager again via the desktop-Icon. That didn't work. After a while I noticed, that closing the RG-Manager using "X" did not close it but minimized it to systemtray.
View attachment 59227
Right-clicking the Systemtray there was no Context-Menupoint to "Launch RGManager" to bring up the UI again.
Good feedback, added to the issues. In the interim, you can double-click on the icon to open the UI.

To increase potential risks for interferences today I launched RGLauncer and RGManager together.
Extensive testing, thank you!
Where RGLauncher shows its "running" Status with an "Underline" at the Taskbar when its running, RGManager does not.
View attachment 59229

If it's the underline I think you're talking about, the one under the icon in the taskbar, then I believe it's an issue with your Windows theme blending in with the darker underline of background apps. Try bringing RGManager to the foreground.

1710962974142.png
The left Icon is the RGLauncher in background, the "underline" still visible, while the RGManager (right Icon) shows nothing indicating that its running, even with RGManager in foreground.

Little bit of a delay on the coming patch, a lot more refactoring as well as new logic here than I originally anticipated.

External resource handling is done, currently working on the resource manipulation options on pipeline return. I wanted to get it out by tonight but I want to make sure I have as stable and optimized of an end-user experience as possible so it's taken me a little longer than expected.

Also want to build in some tools for me (and any user, really) to use in the debug console relating to the new resource handling in-case there's any issues localized to individual resources.

Sorry about the inconvenience, expect a build out, at the latest (but probably before), this coming Tuesday/Wednesday evening with some pretty extensive patch notes. :)

Thanks for the patience everyone, happy to announce we should have a release for tomorrow evening. I have to modify our batch script that packages the MSI appropriately & do some live-build testing to make sure everything works outside of my debug environment (with appropriate directory setup) but once that's finalized I'll be pushing the build up.

Breakdown of the options:
Elevate - Will elevate the resource handler process, allowing it to modify files & their permissions to overwrite what would otherwise have protections. If you have no localized changes to the resource, but it's path's access is denied, this is for you!
Continue - Will not elevate, will overwrite everything that is unprotected (can be modified) and leave everything else. This is a great option if you have localized changes to resources you don't want to change.
Cancel - Will cancel the download entirely as if nothing ever happened!

As a side note, just closing the elevation request window will also act as if the download has been cancelled.

This was a bit of an arduous process, but everyone will now have full control over what happens to each and every part of a protected resource as well as catching for any outlying issues that there may be with a download. We accomplish this using a local named pipe server established via the manager itself that then talks to a sub-app to handle resource management. This way we can seamlessly handle issues without requiring restarts of the entire application for UAC elevation.

Elevation is also on a resource-to-resource basis which minimizes what minimal security risk there may be. We, essentially, only elevate when we need to and only when the end-user gives us permission to do so.

Here's a quick demo if you'd like to check out how it works:

No sound or anything, just a quick run-through of the logic and it's potential outcomes. Ignore the Resource Handler window, that is a debug option users/resource developers can turn on/off by using the debug console (off by default). I left it on just to give a visual representation of everything that's happening.

Also OBS cut out the UAC prompt, but you'll have to trust me until tomorrow that we did pass through. :)

Feel free to make fun of whatever games I'm playing right now splashed across my desktop, look forward to dropping this update!

Quick edit: This window doesn't pop up for every single download, only those that would require elevation to be fully modified. Don't worry, the Manager won't be pinging you every single download (unless, of course, you have a fully protected path to every single resource).

Last edited:
everyone will now have full control over what happens to each and every part of a protected resource...
Elevation is also on a resource-to-resource basis which minimizes what minimal security risk there may be. We, essentially, only elevate when we need to and only when the end-user gives us permission to do so.

Yes! Yes!!!

Feel free to make fun of whatever games I'm playing right now splashed across my desktop, look forward to dropping this update!

Do you really need a shortcut to Logitch G HUB?

Ionis updated RGManager (beta) with a new update entry:

New:
-Introducing the Resource Handler! This is a sub-app of RGManager that allows for tighter control over resource manipulation!
-Added openresourcehandler command to the debug console. This will open the resource handler in manual mode (no server) for download debugging, manual resource handling, etc. etc.
-Added resourcehandlermods command to the debug console. This will modify how the resource handler initializes, allowing to change whether or not it displays a...

Read the rest of this update entry...

We've arrived!

The new version with the Resource Handler is out!

Keep in mind this was an absolutely massive overhaul to the resource management systems with just as much new logic as there are modifications. I've tested thousands of times and tackled every single issue I encountered but there's bound to be something I didn't run in to during my unit testing.

I'd highly recommend backing up every and all things MacroQuest & resource related in-case anything goes awry that way you don't lose any/all work you may have done on INIs, MACs, LUAs, etc.

I'm going to give it until around next Tuesday-ish and work off-main branch to let folks really play around and report if anything goes wrong so we can get fixes out quickly.

Regardless, enjoy everyone, let me know what breaks! :)

Run again both, RGLauncher and RGManager, contemporary, after I had done a fresh backup of the whole directory-tree. Clicked around and couldn’t find any issues, nor did it cause any issues to RGLauncher. For me it looks like anything is working as expected. Have not tried anything with the new ressource-handelimg.

I am running a “life” sync with ondrive as well as I have set up an triggered fullsync to my local backup-drive which I launch manually once a while, when I am confident, that all runs stable.

The only function I am missing is the “dowload all” to automatic download all ressources which have been updated here.
I understood, that this function is alredy on the todo-list.
Once this could be added, I am going to swap to this new RGManager fulltime, still beeing aware that this project is in its early days.

I like all of this new RGManager. The possibillities the filters are offering, for me is very helpful. I don’t use all tools, Ihave on watch, any days, but in the last month there have shown up a lot of nice tools here and I have many of them on watch. Trying the tools which are offered here at RG gives me a great part of the fun I have, playing eq.

I'd like to be able to click the Resource I'm curious about and either be taken here to the website so I can look at the overview, discussion, etc or have all that info scraped from the site and expanded in the Add Resource and My Resources panels when clicking on the name of a Resource. If scraping is possible, please don't preload that while launching the application - make the request on click.

I'd like to be able to click the Resource I'm curious about and either be taken here to the website so I can look at the overview, discussion, etc or have all that info scraped from the site and expanded in the Add Resource and My Resources panels when clicking on the name of a Resource. If scraping is possible, please don't preload that while launching the application - make the request on click.
This is theoretically already possible but it's not too obvious and involves functionality that I plan to, but have not yet, fully expanded.

If you right click any resource it will pop-up a settings option for each, from here if you click on the icon of the resource it will take you to the resources site page. This also expands different interactions and statistics about said resource.

This will be expanded and some functionality may not be entirely working as it was an early concept and hasn't been fully implemented, but what you're looking to do here in-general should be able to be accomplished.

A decent amount of resource information is preloaded in to the struct of the resource but not all, what type of information are you looking for exactly regarding a display? If you could specify I could definitely look in to applying a form of accordion menu that's expandable per-resource showing said information.

Run again both, RGLauncher and RGManager, contemporary, after I had done a fresh backup of the whole directory-tree. Clicked around and couldn’t find any issues, nor did it cause any issues to RGLauncher. For me it looks like anything is working as expected. Have not tried anything with the new ressource-handelimg.

I am running a “life” sync with ondrive as well as I have set up an triggered fullsync to my local backup-drive which I launch manually once a while, when I am confident, that all runs stable.

The only function I am missing is the “dowload all” to automatic download all ressources which have been updated here.
I understood, that this function is alredy on the todo-list.
Once this could be added, I am going to swap to this new RGManager fulltime, still beeing aware that this project is in its early days.

I like all of this new RGManager. The possibillities the filters are offering, for me is very helpful. I don’t use all tools, Ihave on watch, any days, but in the last month there have shown up a lot of nice tools here and I have many of them on watch. Trying the tools which are offered here at RG gives me a great part of the fun I have, playing eq.
I'll see about pushing the "update/download all" button up the priority stream, I'm sure the powers that be wouldn't mind since it's such a requested feature. :)

As always, I appreciate the feedback!

Software RGManager (beta) discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back