• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Contest May '20 Contest: What's your 6-box crew for the original Norrath? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dwarf Paladin
Dwarf Cleric
Dwarf Warrior
Dwarf Rogue
Dwarf Rogue
Dwarf Warrior

One Dwarf Paladin to hold aggro while 2 dwarf warriors fight him for it and two dwarf rogues push each other out of the way to get to the back of the mob.

I recall being in a group like this for a very long time. It was boring since I had the half elf bard and I was told constantly to do nothing but play mana song :P. I got pretty good exp till I figured out how to AE dot and fear kite. Once I stopped being afraid to charm I ended up putting all those guys on /ignore. Being the mana slut is very demotivating :P

One of my good friends when Hate was the top end raid, fell asleep behind the maestro's organ doing just like you mentioned.... mana song

Dark Elf - Shadow Knight - Mad Aggroe, DPS, and with gear could take a punch (To this day still my tank)
Dark Elf - Cleric - She was hot and sexy
Dark Elf - Enchanter - Again Mesmerizing Hotness, Oh and she could do Breeze
Dark Elf - Wizard - She could help my team get around (back when porting was a thing) and was a great instant DPS.
Dark Elf - Mage - Hello pet and the toys to give other people. Remember when you would wipe a raid and get mage armor to go back on corpse runs. LOL
Dark Elf - Rogue - Ok so who doesn't want to be a pseudo-Drizzt Do'urden (Ok I know he is a fighter/ranger but couldn't do that in EQ)

Currently I am playing the majority of these toons and all but 1 are 115 with max AA. The wizard has only reached 112. LOL need to get him those extra 3 levels.
You can have a DE Ranger with a mask...Not sure if you still read the books, Spoiler Alert nowadays Drizzt is a fighter/ranger/monk

Ogre SK
DE Cleric
DE Mage
DE Mage
DE Wizard
DE Chanter

While iksar is the master race, the ogre sk is the obvious choice at TLP launch... and who can resist dark elves?

Ogre SK
DE Cleric
DE Mage
DE Mage
DE Wizard
DE Chanter

While iksar is the master race, the ogre sk is the obvious choice at TLP launch... and who can resist dark elves?

I bet they're all DE females, too, you kinky bastard. The Ogre and his harem.

I'd like to go the way of Lamah, 1 big ogre war and a troop of gnomes, but I gotta fall back to my old ways:

Ogre War
Gnome Cle
Erudite Chanter
Dark Elf Wiz
High Elf Mage
Barbarian Shammy

The hell of getting them all together and leveling up as a group would be insanity though

I'd possibly swap the shammy for a monk but probably not. I'd not likely change the group for raiding either.

In original Norrath, nearly half the classes didn't really have much of an edge over others (ie: Bards, Rangers, Mages). Levels only went up to 50. There was no pet hold for pet classes and aggro transferred/bounced so hard for them that oftentimes they were told to not even have certain pets up - if at all on raids. For example, I never saw more than 1-2 mages on a raid until maybe Luclin and later. Warriors did not have a great start either, which is why they became better in Kunark and beyond. As a pure caster, unless you had some form of a heal spell, you probably were overlooked often for a group in general just because of huge mana down-times.

Ogre Shadowknight - frontal bash immunity, tanking, aggro, pulling/FD, snares
DE Enchanter - debuffs, mezzes, clarity, haste, stuns, pacifying, blurs, roots, enduring breath, levitate, illusions, CHA buffs
DE Cleric - heals
DE Rogue - constant damage, CR runs, sneaks
DE Rogue - constant damage, CR runs, sneaks
Human Druid - sows, ports, backup or alternating heals (to reserve cleric mana), regen buffs, dots, snares

My thoughts with this setup: Easier to get from point A to point B to group all the toons together in classic (and be near the awesome Commonlands and EC tunnel areas). If we want to talk about both exp group and raid viability in one shot (and knowing you can't have it all in one grp), then I'd stick with this setup to get the toons up and running quickly to even raid and at least not worry about spells for 2 out of 6 toons. SKs didn't get as many spells as regular INT casters, so it was still fine and they were better over-all tanks than warriors in the beginning. Constant melee dps is preferred (and not needing to worry much about spell resists either). You'd probably want the enchanter to be agnostic at least and designate her as the group seller especially in non-city zones where there can be KoS or apprehension (illusions, CHA buffs, etc = win).

Last edited:
Ogre warrior - Rallos
Dark elf cleric - innoruuk
Dark elf enchanter - innoruuk
dark elf rogue - innoruuk
Troll shaman - innoruuk
dark elf wizard - innoruuk

my reasoning: early on not having any form of night vision sucks donkey balls and thats why you dont see any barbs/humans. i chose warrior because they are the best tank for a long time and hes a ogre because of the frontal stun immunity. cleric because… well you need heals. Enchanter because i suck at pulling and haste/crack is huge until you get better haste gear and mana regen items. rogue because they are the best dps during vanilla, kunark and velious. shaman for buffs, slow and troll for regen .lastly wizard for ports/dps.

i chose inno for most of the characters because i like what he says when you're raiding plane of time ;). Rallos on the warrior due to the crafted armor that you can make at some point (nice hp/ac) semi early.
Since im lacking a snarer i chose inno on the shaman so i can quest Regent Symbol of Innoruuk.

If i were to raid id change shaman, wizard and enchanter for 3 more rogues. back in the day before the raid interface thingie my group would get all the expes! and dropping the buffing classes would skip alot of annoying "crack plx" tells from recently rezzed ppl.

Congrats to last month's winners!

View attachment 21601
"a spectre" by getlostgreg

If you were to make a 6-box group for the original Norrath, what races/classes would you choose?

To enter, just answer the above question or contribute to the discussion. BUT WAIT, THERE'S A TWIST: If your group includes a race/class combo not available at TLP launch, your entry is void!

🎁Prizes🎁

• 🖼 Original 1999 Cloth Map of Norrath
    View attachment 21604
  • 💎💎💎💎💎💎 SIX KRONO for one lucky winner
  • 💎 ONE KRONO for two lucky winners
  • 💰 A paid plugin/macro of your choice: Options include any CWTN plugin, MQ2EQWire, Tradeskill Recipes, Explore.mac, or any other paid plugin/macro (One winner)
  • 🍭 Color username for both the forums and discord from the redcent shop. (One winner)
  • 📆 A Month of Redguides Level 2 access for you or a friend. Enjoy the Very Vanilla compile, the internet's largest collection of macros, private strategies, and a great community (One winner)

Rules:
No purchase necessary. No more entries after May 31st, 11:59 PM PST.
Drawing will be held in-game on the Vox server, by use of /random. Time & location of the /random will be posted after contest ends, you are welcome to attend.
One answer to the question only, please. However multiple replies (and therefore multiple entries) are allowed so long as you are carrying on a normal on-topic conversation.
Shipping of physical items is to USA only, an alternate prize will be selected if we can't find a cost effective way to ship.
Posting with multiple accounts, or screwing with the contest will lead to certain doom.

Barbarian Warrior
Erudite Cleric
Gnome Magician
Human Paladin
Wood Elf Ranger
Erudite Shadowknight

Hmmm...

Ogre Warrior, hit things heavy no stun
High Elf Cleric, healing things and RMT for some active release
Human Monk, hit things like Mr Lee
Dark Elf Enchanter, these aren't the toons you're looking for
Troll Shaman, Meg Mucklebones
Gnome Wizard, small package big boom and poof

as follows

Dwarf = Warrior
Dwarf = Cleric
Halfling = Rogue
Human = Bard
Gnome = Mage
Erudite = Necromancer

Dwarf Warrior and Cleric I like this combo warrior mitigation and top notch cleric healing plus my first toon ever in any game was a dwarf cleric back in 2000 and I still play that cleric today. Halfling rogue exploration, good melee damage also does poisonmaking TS. Human bard..... BARD FEET... plus their songs and control. Gnome mage mostly for tinkering but also a pet dps class. Erudite necro consistent DoT dps, pet class, corpse summon. Now that ive made this list I think I may give it a go.

Here's some fun facts for everyone:

We all know Iksar (Kunark), Froglok (LoY), Drakkin (TSS), and Vah Shir (Luclin) aren't available at launch, and likely know that BST (Luclin) and Ber (GoD) aren't available at launch, but we also have some lesser-known things:
  • Gnome Shadowknights, Gnome Paladins, Halfling Rangers, and Halfling Paladins aren't available until Luclin (likely well-known)
  • Froglok Monk and Wood Elf Beastlords weren't available until CotF (also likely well-known), but are available on TLP based on above restrictions
  • Erudite SK wasn't available at launch (rather, they were released when the hole/paineel was released in Feb 2000), interestingly, Erudite cleric/necro were available at launch, but their starting locations were moved to Paineel when it released. [this entire point is moot because TLP's just release Paineel on day one and call it good]

I don't believe evil races were an option for bard. My first character I ever made was half elf bard in 2000. Mask illusions are always an option to blend in though = )

Your bard will always be a lie....

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:👿👿👿👿👿

Dark Elf Shadow Knight
Human Enchanter - leader, he's a very accepting dude, you can tell by the races. Heck, he even wears a dress
High Elf Cleric
High Elf Mage
Dark Elf Necro
Half Elf Ranger

My favorite group makeup so far is Monk, Ench, Shaman, Wizard - but to fill out some slots...:

Dark Elf - Enchanter
Barbarian - Shaman
Dark Elf - Wizard
High Elf - Magician
Human - Monk
Dwarf - Paladin

Bards can choose Rallos Zek as their deity of choice if you're looking to go evil with one. Bards are also the only class that can choose Veeshan until the Drakkins come along

Grouping?

Woodelf ranger, Woodelf rogue, Gnome Necro, Barbarian Warrior, High elf Cleric, and another woodelf ranger. Why?

Because that's the group I used to group with during release. Two were real life friends, three were people I met online. I can tell you their names, their stories, and the stupid stuff we did together. How much the one ranger liked to 'climb' trees, and the other tried to master kiting and aggro so I could backstab whatever he was shooting (it didn't work very well till much later when they got better skills, but it was a goal), how the barbarian warrior got caught sexting with a wood elf druid during a guild raid when a few 'mistells' went to guild instead of private tells, how genuinely sweet and caring the cleric was - a guy who roleplayed a girl character (but who cares? he was an awesome cleric) and the necro who could not be trusted not to fear everything - even the things you really shouldn't back then (unsnarable or whatever.)

Raid?

Forty people not listening enough, who die at least once each, and often more so, and I (the rogue) having to sneak through to fetch corpses and hotkeying /targ /corpse macros to get more of them blipping after my invisible self.
But same group probably.

1. Gnome - Magician
2. Gnome - Magician
3. Gnome - Magician
4. Gnome - Magician
5. Gnome - Wizard
6. Gnome - Cleric

out of group Gnome - Magician x2

1999.... Tallon Zek PvP Server:
Ogre Warrior
Troll Shaman
Dark Elf Wizard
Dark Elf Mage
Dark Elf Rogue
Dark Elf Enchanter

• Ogre warrior can't be stunned and has HPs when gear with stats was scarce even in the planes
  • Troll Shaman has regen, can shrink the group due to the large size of tank and healer while still maintaining some haste for the group
  • DE Wizard / Mage / Rogue / Enchanter because this is an evil group on Tallon Zek when we didn't play on care bear servers long before Pandemonium starting cross team healing and bs
  • The rogue was a must for picking locks, backstabbing, and retrieving corpses in all those bad places.
  • Food for thought when you're on a player vs player server and the world is crawling with lighties!

Ogre SK
DE Enchanter
DE Cleric
DE Wizard
DE Magician
Troll Shaman

Probably not great for dps, but its got a bunch of buffs, and can get around easily.

Warrior-Ogre. Cause well, you know...
Bard- wood elf or half elf. pulling madness/ could use a human monk here too.
Cleric-Erudite or Dark elf
Wizard-Dark elf/ Could use a wood elf druid here.
Shaman- Troll
Mage-Dark elf

OK, I gotta get my coffee in me. :)

would start the group I ended up with in 99, which are still around
Dorf Pally
half Druid
Bar Beastie
Erud chanter
Bar Shammy
and whatever else came along, usually some type of dps class

I love my 6 box lineup, and would do it again if I had to start from vanilla. I would also keep this lineup for raiding, since TLPs don't end with vanilla, do they?

Gnome Warrior (free shrink if he's your raid main in the early days, as well as Tinkering. That, and when I mained a Gnome Warrior in a high end raid guild, I had my Magelo play the Underpants Gnomes' song from that South Park episode.)
High Elf Cleric (For the Imbue Emerald spell, needed for the Solstice earring (or whatever it was called) that I think comes when Luclin releases?)
Troll Shaman (because Shaman regen was at a premium early on, and Ikkies aren't available in vanilla)
Wood Elf Bard (I used to main a bard a long time ago, and I know how valuable they are in pretty much any group or raid situation)
Wood Elf Ranger (Asslings should never have been allowed to be Rangers.)
Dark Elf Wizard (I like having at least one inky on the team, and since you're already going to have to deal with the Troll being an evil race, you might as well add another one, especially one who can invis himself)

Every time I've restarted, I've always used this lineup and I love it. Cleric is primary heals and Shaman is backup heals. Wizard is transportation, and Bard has Selo's for getting through a zone faster. The only part about this setup that is difficult at the start is not having a Feign Death puller. I never really had a problem with this when I started this team on a TLP server. A consideration I had (I tried it when I at one point made a second group of 6 just to mess around) was to use Enchanter and Druid in place of Shaman/Wizard. This shifts the backup heals to the Druid, the ports to the Druid, and the slows to the Enchanter. My group is pretty melee heavy, though, so I think the Shaman buffs were overall better than the Enchanter ones. As expansions unlock and the Ranger gets buffs, I prefer the ATK to the HP gained by the Paladin's buffs for that slot. Someone wise once said that a Bard is like adding a level to everyone else in the group, since they just help everyone else do more damage. The Ranger is great DPS by himself, and the later buffs help the others in the group, too. I also think that the Wizard DPS + Shaman buffs (for DPS reasons) is just overall much more than the Enchanter buffs and Druid buffs and DOTs/nukes from either. I haven't parsed it, but it just seemed like when this setup started out it was a lot more efficient than when the secondary group I tried started out. DPS was just weaker in the other group.

Ogre - SK
Dwarf - Cleric
Drow - Enchanter
Drow - Wizard
Gnome - Mage
wood Elf - Bard

Non-raid - Ogre is main tank/puller unless enchanter gets a tank pet. Mage for pet/malo/dispel/DS/CotH/summoned items and it doesn't have to crutch on gear. Enchanter for pet tank/dps/mana regen/haste/mezz. Cleric for buffs/heals/rez. Wizard for travel/dps/luclin AA PLing. Bard for go fast/track/combat chat spam.

Raid - Ogre is OT and harm touch burn. Mage malo/dispel/DS/and summoned items for raid members and pet does the rest. Cleric because CH rotation and rez (have a camp macro ready when shit hits the fan). Enchanter for buffs/pet dps/mana drain. Wizards in classic raids LUL, but needed for ports. Bards for whatever the raid is in need of.

If I were going OG Everquest like back in the day exp and classes and able to 6 box! First I'd drool cause back in the day 2 boxing was the max I could do, plus I had to borrow a computer to do it lol.

Anyhow, my classes would be as follows.

Paladin (Dwarf) Great starting City plus the class overall was used from group healing to tanking. Plus, a Paladin was my very first character. Also you get Rez!
Shaman (Troll) The Regen was OP! Plus shamans back in the day did it all much like they do now, but they also could tank! Can we say best buffs in the game? Plus SoW!
Dark Elf (Mage) The pets were so OP and the class well could just solo pretty much anything in game. Plus Dark elf could gain access to spells that weren't all available in Original EQ except Nek.
Gnome (Wizard) Ports and ports! Everyone loves ports! Plus you could pretty much nuke anything in one hit back then.
Dark Elf (Necro) Back in the day the raw dmg of dots plus life taps were just amazing, plus overall undead dmg was a force to be reckoned with in Lguk!
Final Spot is a tough one because I know back in the day Bards were a crazy amount of kiting/run speed/OP class, but at the end of the day I would have to make!
High Elf (Enchanter) Crack, mezzing, dot, DD, and charm for the win!

Dwarf Warrior
Dwarf Rogue
Human Monk
Human Bard
Human Druid
Ogre Shaman

More than enough to get you through Vanilla. Yes, I know there is no charm. Don't hate! Gotta love that dwarf OP roll and they come pre-shrunk out of the box!

Bonus: Raid?

I'd choose the same! Charm can get so messy in a raid.

Bonus question:
Let's say your priority is raiding with a guild, what's your 6 box group?

Depending on if you needed a tank or not, so two options.

Dwarf Pally - group heals saves lives!
Wood Elf Ranger - later on they become top dps and they're a great asset to any group.
Human Monk - split pulls and top dps.
Gnome Enchanter - raid cc, haste, clarity, dps, and stunts.
Half Elf Bard - Resist songs are king, plus additional in group and raid buffs!
Dwarf Cleric - best heals especially group, and of course Rez!

If you don't need a tank Drop Pally for a Troll Shaman.

Or you could go.

Woolf Elf Ranger - use the ranger as a tank outside of raids and pure dps in raids. What could go wrong?
Dwarf Rogue - stabby stab, and corpse recovery. May drag his feet while stalking his prey, could be an issue.
Half Elf Bard - give me my melee buffs! And run speed! Loves to complain about their instruments being out of tune!
Human Monk - do punch and kick things with falling over!
Troll Shaman - slow, buffs, dots, and heals. Definitely needs constant bathing and shrinks.
Dwarf Cleric - needs a phonebook to stand up, but doesn't need to see to do healing things.

This would be an option if you didn't need an enchanter or Tank. I think best option overall for raids. Could drop the Rogue for another monk or ranger.

I like to challenge myself, so my boxes tend to be so far from each other I have to solo box them to level up if I am to stay relatively within the XP leadership curve instead of running them all together. And I like to play with a less effective group but still effective enough to get stuff done, so no 6 boxing Warriors for me =P

Human Warrior - From Qeynos
Erudite Cleric - Gotta love the Erudite in Plate
Troll Shaman - I don't like ogres and I prefer an evil beast
Halfling Druid - Short Port with Heals
Gnome Wizard - Short Port with DPS
Half Elf Bard - Can't ever go wrong with a bard

Human Mage
Human Monk
Human Ench
Human Cleric
Human SK
Human Wiz

Female Monk, idk why the animations are so much better.

Contest May '20 Contest: What's your 6-box crew for the original Norrath?
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back