• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Contest May '20 Contest: What's your 6-box crew for the original Norrath? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried with 6 mages and it kills anything in a few seconds, short of raid mobs. 6 wiz would be fun too, if all nuke at the same time some will end up nuking the corpse. If it was for raiding I'd go with a well rounded group. Ogre Warrior (stun resist from front), High Elf Cleric, Barb Shaman (their slow basically trivializes classic), High Elf Ench, Erudite Nec, Dark Elf Wiz (Hide is nifty). I like the Ench more than a Bard in the olden days, if it was later era I would go with Bard for the nice dps but in classic I would prefer Ench. Necro is great for dps on long fights and summoning corpses is great if things go horribly wrong. And Wiz is great damage in classic, Ice Comet is :D and evac is great and ports are essential for Plane of Hate etc.

If you were to make a 6-box group for the original Norrath, what races/classes would you choose?

If we are going off of Original Everquest, I would likely go with

High Elf - Paladin
High Elf - Cleric
High Elf - Enchanter
High Elf - Wizard
Wood Elf - Bard
Wood Elf - Druid

Given in the original Everquest the hardest problem was getting around to the different places. Having them all start within the same relative areas between Kelathin and Felwithe. It would be easy to start off. Then you have quick access to Crushbone for the early days. Plus it was far enough out of reach that most Evil races wouldn't attempt to come over and mess with you. (Early years of EQ were fun).

Bonus question:
Let's say your priority is raiding with a guild, what's your 6 box group?

My configuration wouldn't change. Paladins in the early years of Everquest were really strong for their Stun and healing capabilities, Cleric for the CH cast rotation. Enchanter for the CC of Mezing and buffs. Wizards were notorious for Burst damage, They would be able to remove adds from the equation just by pure magic. Druids have always been a personal favorite given their DoT damage, Their Mobility, Regen as well as Porting capabilities. Being able to Root Rot or Snare kite better than any other class was the dream and the fact that they have Heals to help support the Paladin and Cleric heal rotations was a no brainer. Bards because they are bards, Jacks of all trades, But master of none. They aren't locked to one job.

So I would recreate my regular group and good friends of that era.
There were only 4 of us so I’ll make up two of them.
Half-elf rogue
Dwarf warrior
Dwarf cleric
Gnome mage
Half-elf bard
High Elf enchanter

Part of me desires what I originally had, was three characters my wife and I played on 3 computers using a dial up sharing software. But I tended to RP while my wife liked raiding guild. She advanced faster and I was like.. wow I wanna go to fight in Plane of Hate too!! :P
Starting on Riz I think I would go for a stronger setup though with the Trinity as a need.
War - Ogre
Cleric - DE or Dwarf
Ench - DE (mez, haste, mana)
Necro - Gnome (Dots, FD to save group when wipes happen, corpse recall, snare)
Mage - DE (pet supreme even back then regardless of all the complaints plus good enough blasts)
Druid - WE (ports, SoW and back up heals and DS)

For Raiding I think this group would work out well overall with the backup healer and corpse retrieval Necro. I originally had a Pal (still have) in '99 but think I'd enjoy the stronger war to get through fights better. Although I LOVED being near untouchable with stuns and when Kunark came out and the Deepwater Helm was instant recast..I was always last man standing.

OG Group -
Dark elf enchanter
Dwarf Paladin
Gnome Necro
Human Monk
Dark elf Cleric
Wood elf Druid

Bonus question - OG raid preferred group ( this is a balanced group make up that I would bring , too many other ways to go for specific groups. with this set up
the group could be added right in without skewing the raid make up )
Ogre Warrior
Troll Shaman
Dark elf Cleric
Gnome Rogue
Human Monk
Half-elf Bard

Grimlock

Dark Elf Warrior
Gnome Enchanter
Gnome Cleric
Gnome Wizard
Troll Shaman (I liked the old troll model, hate the new one. My shaman is always a skeleton via AoN and MQ2melee)
Half Elf Ranger (getting the Dark Elf mask, so constant dark elf illusion up)

That is my main group right now. I like a back up tank and healer.

Bonus for raid. It'd stay the same and it would just be my warrior or ranger that raids.

Last edited:
Dark Elf crew mostly for convenience of starting, and because they're more of a shmedium size...
Dark Elf SK
Dark Elf Enchanter
Dark Elf Cleric
Dark Elf Wizard
Troll Shaman
Human Monk (odd man out here with faction from the group, but no "evil" monks until Kunark)

Tank, slows, CC, heals (and backup heals), buffs, pulling, ports...and charming >:) Cleric/Ench charm boxing or duoing was always high risk, high reward...would have been nice to have a full group to back it up!

Wouldn't change anything for the raid crew!

Human- Monk
DWF- Cleric
Gnome- Necro
DWF- WAR
Gnome- Chanter
Gnome- Wiz

Bonus Raid

3 Gnome Necros
3 Gnome wizzys
Mana punp and Nuke

Barbarian- Warrior because nobody thought about the racial abilities or starting stats when we all first made our characters......Braveheart? fuck yeah. Give me that Blood Fire to break every mez, ill tank it all.

Erudite- Cleric for the Terror Forged Mask, Dread Forged Shield, Fright Forged Helm

Dark Elf- Enchanter This goes without saying, the enchanter class made the game so much smoother from the grouping and raiding stand point. Dark Elf, because they look the best in their planar robes.

Dwarf- Rogue Corpse Runs, DPS...Dwarves have the 2nd highest strength starting out. It could even be female for the cool bearded female factor

Dark Elf- Shadowknight this was my original character in the year of our lord...2000. I thought they looked like Prince Lotor, nevermind the fact that they got stunned to hell every time i tried to tank. I could pull mobs like a mofo though, and offtank if i had to.

Human- Bard This character just helps round out the group, he would try to pull at first, and train everyone. They can half-ass track. Their multi-colored armor, with an eyepatch, and a golden mane mullet just puts them over the top for the hipster factor. Bonus points because he starts in freeport, with Selo's at an early level. so he could haul all of my heavy gear and plat between the tunnel and the EFP bank.

BONUS- In a raid setting, i would swap the SK for an Ogre Shaman for the buffs, backup heals, backup slows....malosi would help the enchanter charm some of the OP mobs that they could charm back then. i think i could at least clear planar trash with this small swap. The bard could pull.

i wish i still had all of my CD-ROM copies of the game, and the cool stuff like the cloth map. I never thought about saving them, or the fact that i'd still be playing this game 20 years later. Im grateful for all of the friends i've encountered throughout the years. This player-base has been wholesome and helpful for most of my experience, i often wonder if the newer generation of gamers experience this in the same way in their games and platforms.

Last edited:
On Ragefire I did Cleric (pilot), Wizard, 4x Mage. If I were to re-do it, I'd go Cleric, Wizard, Enchanter, 3x Mage, all Dark Elf.

Ogre Sk
Troll shaman
Dwarf cleric
Gnome enchanter
Gnome wiz
Human monk

All the goodness! Bit light on dps but shaman deeps in original wasnt horrible.

As for guild raid group...

bard
Rogue
Rogue
Rogue
Monk
Shaman

Sex deeps

Gotta start with my original wombo combo:

Dark Elf Necro
Halfling Druid and/or Barbarian Shaman

From there, I would add:
Ogre SK
Dwarf Cleric
Dark Elf Mage
Human Monk

Not at all an efficient group, but damn do I love those classes.

Human-Cleric - Qeynos - Named Soandso (for obvious reasons)
Barbarian - Warrior - Named Fenedict - Based on an old friend
Half elf - Ranger - Named Teluwen - Based on my Main for the passed 20 years
Half elf - Druid - Named Cenedeb - based on my first druid, and first character to ever get passed level 5. (i was 11 years old lol)
Human - Monk - Dangley (surname) Bawls - nough said.
Human - Enchanter - Something to do with mesmerize in the name cause im unoriginal.

Since classic era, All starting the Qeynos region, outside of Barb, but easily traveled to Qeynos area to start our adventure.

Gnome Mage - Small guy next to Earth Pet just looks awesome!
Barbarian Warrior - With the Gnome... think master blaster runs barter town!
High Elf Enchanter - Crack and Haste for all!
Wood Elf Druid - Ports and Sow
High Elf Cleric - Heals and HP
High Elf Wizard - DPS and AE

I’d definitely try and recreate the glory days of my friends getting me into EQ- they had

a dwarf cleric
a dwarf warrior
a wood elf ranger
a high elf enchanter
a wood elf druid

all having managed to gather together in greater faydark

and then me the dummy half elf Rogue (they said make an elf!) who started in Qeynos!

Let me tell you- there was nothing more exhilarating than trying to get across the Karanas to get the boat at Freeport. Those journeys (yes, I died before managing to get a bind) were what hooked me so hard back then and I still remember them now...20 years later

Gnome SK
Dark Elf Rog
Wood Elf Bard <-- this is a throw in would Prefer a berserker.
Barbarian Shaman
Dark Elf Enchanter
Dark Elf Cleric
With this setup, All things Die, just not you, This incorporates all the buffs you need to never have to return to a town to seek buffs, the high sustain of regens, stacking hastes, slow's, cc's shaman never runs oom with canni. well rounded team for sustained fighting in all conditions.

Last edited:
Gnome Magician
Dark Elf Necromancer
Human Enchanter
Wood Elf Warrior
Wood Elf Bard
Halfling Druid

I essentially made this group as a kid, but they were all single characters that never got to meet. I would like to imagine in an alternate universe they did/will. Nobody could convince 12/13 year old me that Wood Elf Warriors weren't just the coolest looking. Front Stun Immunity? What even is that?

Ogre Warrior - Frontal stun was huge + highest STA on starting
Human Monk - Cause Iksar was not in original
Troll Shaman - Double HP Regen for Cann was huge along with decent STA
Dark Elf Wizard - ICE COMET!!!!
Dwarf Cleric - Best meta for a Cleric + they love the drink!
Half Elf Bard - There are other bards?

Ogre Warrior - Frontal stun was huge + highest STA on starting
Human Monk - Cause Iksar was not in original
Troll Shaman - Double HP Regen for Cann was huge along with decent STA
Dark Elf Wizard - ICE COMET!!!!
Dwarf Cleric - Best meta for a Cleric + they love the drink!
Half Elf Bard - There are other bards?
I recall being in a group like this for a very long time. It was boring since I had the half elf bard and I was told constantly to do nothing but play mana song :P. I got pretty good exp till I figured out how to AE dot and fear kite. Once I stopped being afraid to charm I ended up putting all those guys on /ignore. Being the mana slut is very demotivating :P

High Elf Paladin - it was my first main
Gnome Enchanter - it was my second main
Dwarf Cleric - inherited it from a friend
High Elf Wizard - inherited it from a friend
Halfling Druid - my third character
High Elf Mage - inherited it from a friend

these are the toons I know to play somewhat.

Contest May '20 Contest: What's your 6-box crew for the original Norrath?
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back