• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Software MacroQuest Migrator (1 Viewer) 2021-12-04

Ummm.....what's a MQ2Next? didn't get any major announcement or a fixed topic about it.

1625113312052.png

You'll also find it in the redguides launcher dropdown for MQ2 version you want to use. Be sure to set it up to use a different folder than your existing live.

Thanks gents, i just updated my launcher and went through some githubs as well. Now, can someone ellaborate more on the debate for:-

MQ2IC and the mirgation into open source? How will that affect the *protection*?

Ummm.....what's a MQ2Next? didn't get any major announcement or a fixed topic about it.
the MacroQuest Developer preview has been posted for a couple months now. It recently got added to the launcher.

It is currently still in "beta" or "early release/access"

To be clear, it’s beta from an RG standpoint but it went into beta (people using it for regular play) about a year ago.

Giving this a go after seeing the slick migration tool. The transfer tool worked perfectly for me.

Will let you know how it goes.

I transferred the new /yes /no aliases to my macroquest.ini file that got transferred over so I could unload mq2yes.

EDIT:

Simple thing to update that did not work the same was my Guild Hall statues I use for teleporting.

Had simple aliases setup that I found on the forum.

/cs=/multiline ; /invoke ${Ground[Skyshrine Dragon Brazier].DoTarget} ; /click right item ; /timed 15 /notify "Teleport to Cobalt Scar" menuselect

Changed it to and works:

/cs=/multiline ; /invoke ${Ground.Search[Skyshrine Dragon Brazier]} ; /click right item ; /timed 15 /notify "Teleport to Cobalt Scar" menuselect

Was very easy the console told me the old way was being depreciated and to do this other way. Quick easy fix.

Last edited:
Went throught the migration process.
1. installed MQNext into a new folder.
2. ran the Migration tool.
3. rebooted the machine ... just in case.
4. started 6 accounts with inner space

here I got the first hiccup: 3 of the 6 accounts stopped at first eq-screen and didn't log in with autologin
closed this 3 accounts and relaunched accounts ... on second try 2 of the 3 autologin'ed now, whereas 1 again stopped at first screen
logged in the last account manually.

5. started all 6 accounts with Kissassist

all chars starded to do their job as expected
What I noticed at first: all runs smoother ... the chatboxes don't start to "blurr out" as they did b4. Presumly caused by ressources-consuption of the old mq2.
This migration I did with my "backckup-machine" the pc I took aside, when I bought the new one.

Even having the autologin-problem I am happy with the new MQNext.

We have a bug with IsBoxer where it does that and I was working on it but I let my isboxer subscription lapse since I wasn’t really using it.

The workaround is to start MQ after launching your characters and it will work every time.

When starting my session some minutes ago I was thrilled, because no account got in.....
I tried manually without any mq ... and couldn't get in either.
At first blush some horrific possible reasons passed my mind.

Reason was "just" the loginservers have been down.
Once they where back, I tried again.
2 of the 6 accounts didn't log in on first attempt.
I came back to this thread and saw your reply.
I closed MQNext and the 2 eq's which didn't log in.
I launched the 2 missing accounts in ISBoxer.
Than I startet MQNext.
The 2 missing accounts logged in as expected.

The workaround works well. Thanks for the info @Knightly
Time to migrate on my main machine :)

This Migrator works nice ... just a view mouseclicks and I am migrated to MQNext.
Nice piece of automating for some potentially painfull operations.

Migration on main computer went as smooth as on my by-sysxtem.
Ingame I missed the right-click-Groupwindow-menu ... like "run to me" or "follow me" .. I created an afollow-button

I have multiple Kissassist ini for my shaman. I was used to copy the actual one to "Kissassist_charname.ini" and than start kissassist assist MT.
If I want to swap once started it does not work anymore ... the char insists to run with the kissassist.ini loaded on first run.
Fix: now I start with /mac kissassist ini Kissassist_charname_role.ini .... sideeffect: non need to copy inifiles to launch the required ini for the actual needed role
I created 5 hotbuttons for the 5 different inis and problem is solved

So I am happy with the migration also on my main system

Migration on main computer went as smooth as on my by-sysxtem.
Ingame I missed the right-click-Groupwindow-menu ... like "run to me" or "follow me" .. I created an afollow-button

I have multiple Kissassist ini for my shaman. I was used to copy the actual one to "Kissassist_charname.ini" and than start kissassist assist MT.
If I want to swap once started it does not work anymore ... the char insists to run with the kissassist.ini loaded on first run.
Fix: now I start with /mac kissassist ini Kissassist_charname_role.ini .... sideeffect: non need to copy inifiles to launch the required ini for the actual needed role
I created 5 hotbuttons for the 5 different inis and problem is solved

So I am happy with the migration also on my main system
the functionality of MQ2TargetInfo was moved into 3 plugins, you can load them up and get that stuff back

INI:
/plugin mq2groupino
/plugin mq2targetinfo
/plugin mq2xtarinfo

Just a heads up on something I noticed today. When you use the migrator (at least from the one that I used back after the last EQ patch) it will pull over all of your config files (as expected), but one small issue is that the MQ2AutoLoot.ini it pulls over points to your loot.ini in the Live folder and not the Next folder for any toons that have already been using it. Any new toons using it will point to the loot.ini in the Next fold.

I had been editing the loot.ini in my Next folder and couldn't figure out why some of my toons weren't looting correctly.

Could I suggest adding the plugins to auto load in next when the migration utility is run so that we cut down on the amount of posts people asking why its missing when it was working in MQ2?
INI:
/plugin mq2targetinfo
/plugin mq2groupinfo
/plugin mq2xtarinfo

Re: the new split plugins

I added the following highlighted to my script after line 396

Add new plugins:
                $commandsToRun += 'if ($ini.Contains("Plugins") -And $ini.Plugins.Contains("mq2ic")) { $ini.Plugins.Remove("mq2ic") };'
                $commandsToRun += 'if ($ini.Contains("Plugins") -And $ini.Plugins.Contains("mq2targetinfo") -And $ini.Plugins.mq2targetinfo -eq 1) { $ini.Plugins.mq2groupinfo=1; $ini.Plugins.mq2xtarinfo=1 };'
                $commandsToRun += '$ini | Out-IniFile -Force -Encoding ascii -FilePath ' + "$MacroQuestDirectory\Config\MacroQuest.ini;"

Re: the new aliases for /yes and /no

I wasn't sure if the intention was for Next to just ignore MQ2Yes or if it should be removed. If removed, worth adding a line duplicating the mq2ic line for that plugin?

It doesn’t matter, if it doesn’t exist it won’t load it. I wasn’t really trying to clean up people’s ini, just make sure they were able to migrate. Otherwise I’d remove all kinds of stuff~

Thanks for the addition, I’ll update the script.

Last edited:
What’s not working? You getting errors, got a screenshot of what’s wrong? Need more details.

its trying to install something called nugetprovider.
ill figure it out
edit - After restarting my pc, worked just fine
Sorry
double edit - got this error - The term 'Test' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
ran the program again after changing my file folder name. works fine

Last edited:
q8reflex mentioned there's a bug with folders with spaces in it -- it doesn't add the trailing slash I think.

Anyone have an idea why I am getting this error when running the migrator tool? (I am right clicking and running PowerShell)
Its the only account on the computer and is admin.
1633885692417.png

Hi @Knightly , very much appreciate the response. I have not changed anything, but I'm guessing you are saying it may have been marked read only? File is like this, I have not modified anything yet
Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• 1633893545768.png
    1633893545768.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 3
Just to add that I solved my issue, was simply the AntiVirus flagging it (PcMatic). It gave me no notification though, I made another local user admin account and tried it that way, and saw the popup from PCMatic. Now to enjoy me some MQNEXT!!! and the migrator was so easy, ty!!!! Need to get my kids some dinner so I can play, I have not played in 2 months or so. GAH!

I had a similar issue with spaces in the directory name, here is some error output:
INI:
A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument
'research\RedGuides\DesktopUtility\MQ2\Test\Release\MacroQuest.ini'.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-IniContent], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Get-IniContent
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

Cannot index into a null array.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullArray

Cannot index into a null array.
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullArray

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

Cannot bind argument to parameter 'InputObject' because it is null.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Out-IniFile], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Out-IniFile

my old MQ2 directory was `C:\Users\Me\Downloads\eq research\RedGuides\DesktopUtility\MQ2\Test\Release` so it looks like that's getting split into two parameters (maybe it needs to be quoted somewhere?)

Novice user here, and Next Migrator works an absolute treat!

Only note I had was a "novice user" one, I watched the video for the conversion and actually missed that we need to Install Next using the VV Next installer into the default, or user set directory, and THEN run the Next Migration tool - it does not do the install for you, if you have not installed previously;) Again this is my "novice user" mistake and once I realised that all went extremely smoothly - thank you Next team!

I must be doing something wrong. I open with power shell and get a blue screen for a second and then it closes and nada. Any ideas?

I must be doing something wrong. I open with power shell and get a blue screen for a second and then it closes and nada. Any ideas?
Run from command prompt and see what it outputs.

Start -->Run-->cmd
powershell -File C:\Path\To\MacroQuestMigrator.ps1

You can just type "powershell -File " (don't forget the space) and then drag and drop the file there as well.

From the Windows file browser, if you're in the folder where the .ps1 file is located, you can also type "cmd" or "powershell" in the address bar and it will launch a shell already opened to that path, sometimes that can be easier than typing out the path or navigating there manually.

1636602683442.png

Last edited:
Software MacroQuest Migrator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back