• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Greetings from a latecomer (1 Viewer)

DocAvery

RedCents
110¢
Pleasure to meet you all -- I'm Doc (or Avery if there are a ton of other Docs out there).

I actively played EverQuest from early 2000 to 2005 (and then off and again for a few years after). I still get the OG intro theme stuck in my head and it sends chills down my spine when I hear it. Oh and the music that plays when you get near the water in West Karana. The hard-as-nails consequential gameplay with repercussions and grinds within grinds. There's just nothing like it these days. I made lots of friends (including several 5 boxers, though I never tried it myself, they were always so nice and happy to have a 6th along).

I've come back around -- maybe nostalgic for that late nineties/early aughts Golden Age of Internet vibe?)- and discovered that the playing field has a changed a little bit. Like myself, folks have jobs and families, but they still want to scratch that old itch. Color me intrigued.

I haven't started with MQ2 yet, but I've been watching videos and trying to get a lay of the land. Most every video pointed to this site and commented on how friendly you are all. So I wanted to say hello as I wade through.

I look forward to interacting with you (and probably asking quite a few questions)!

Doc

Welcome Doc!

Boxing certainly does bring a new lease of life to this game. It can be a steep learning curve - but take it easy and dont try to beat the world in 5 minutes. It can take a while to truly master.

Hiya @DocAvery I've gifted you a month of level 2 to try out macroquest from redguides. Feel free to take it for a spin and try to get it setup based on your reading and video watching. If you need help you can ask here on the forums or pop over to our Discord

Welcome to RedGuides.
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Pleasure to meet you all -- I'm Doc (or Avery if there are a ton of other Docs out there).

I actively played EverQuest from early 2000 to 2005 (and then off and again for a few years after). I still get the OG intro theme stuck in my head and it sends chills down my spine when I hear it. Oh and the music that plays when you get near the water in West Karana. The hard-as-nails consequential gameplay with repercussions and grinds within grinds. There's just nothing like it these days. I made lots of friends (including several 5 boxers, though I never tried it myself, they were always so nice and happy to have a 6th along).

I've come back around -- maybe nostalgic for that late nineties/early aughts Golden Age of Internet vibe?)- and discovered that the playing field has a changed a little bit. Like myself, folks have jobs and families, but they still want to scratch that old itch. Color me intrigued.

I haven't started with MQ2 yet, but I've been watching videos and trying to get a lay of the land. Most every video pointed to this site and commented on how friendly you are all. So I wanted to say hello as I wade through.

I look forward to interacting with you (and probably asking quite a few questions)!

Doc
Welcome Doc! Glad to have you :)

Welcome To The Team GIF by MOODMAN

Welcome to RG and welcome back if you're a returning player!

I share quite a bit of your story having played around the same time as you and then taking a long break. I returned a couple of years ago and quickly remembered the neverending LFG until I found RG. It's definitely a game changer!

Always start here RG Video

Watch the vids in Sic's signature (I'm sure he will post soon if he has not done already while I'm typing this) and then mess around with Kissassist Beginners Guide, Kissassist Commands , RGmercs, and especially cwtn plugins ( you can also /testcopy your toons and use the cwtn plugins there for free.).

I suggest getting your feet wet slowly and be patient as it takes time to absorb all this information. Try taking your toons somewhere safe and lower level at first and explore the automation options.

Check out the macros and lua's available as well like buttonmaster, mq2autogroup, mq2autoaccept, mq2status, GuildClicky, and more.

Lots of info and a super helpful community here to help when you get stuck.

Also, read up on Red Cents as they can you help with your subscription and it's the currency this site uses. Contribute and others will give you red cents and each red cent you give others returns one to you. check it out!

Welcome Doc! Buckle up for a journey of epic proportions. Why sink years of your life into 1 character when you can sink your entire life into MQ2/Redguides :dance:

DocAvery

Welcome to the best EQ forum left standing hehe. Not only for generalized information but more importantly, for Multi character play. Like you I got into EQ way back in 2000, played until WoW came out and played that for 11 years sheesh. WoW turned into a money grab and pissed me off. Played other games for a year and none of them scratched the itch I had. Started watching some videos about MMO's and guess what showed up? Everquest? Wow I hadn't thought about that game in like, forever. Piqued my interest real quick because of all the fond memories. Then the memories of all the things I hated about the game came back in a rush. One of the worst was trying to solo mobs to grind. And I even had a Mage as a main. And the more I looked into EQ the more I realized that I wanted to play a group instead of a single character. I already knew about Innerspace and ISBoxer, but man that is really hard for non programmers to setup. I had tried this for 2 toons on WoW.

Then I found this website and life changed. This is the solution to my problems of being able to run multiple toons concurrently on 1 PC. The only problem was (you have seen this above from other posters) MQ has a VERY steep leaning curve. Everyone says to take it slow and one step at a time. And they are right...good advice. But I have to say that it can be rather daunting, and at times very frustrating. Layman's term, sometimes shit just don't work, or work the way you want (or expect) it to. But there is hope.

Some of us non programmers here relate to the old song "Girls just wanna have fun". And have found the "WAY". Before you go and setup Kissassist or Muleassist or RGMercs and spend hours reading about each and all their variables. And THEN spending countless hours experimenting and troubleshooting to get your group to function just the way you want them to. Spend some money and do this the easy way. Not sure if you played WoW or not but remember this age old saying, "Time is Money friend"? Make your group and get the CWTN MQ2 plugins for each class of toon you create. Just so you know CWTN doesn't have plugins for Bard, Ranger, Druid and Wizard, so keep that in mind when creating your group. They cost $20 per class per year. And so worth every penny. Do some reading about them, but short version is that these plugins will run a toon for you, literally, but without all the hassle. They aren't perfect but a damn sight better than what I can do manually. This has the effect of letting YOU enjoy the game by experiencing the content you want, instead of constantly fiddling with your setup. This is what makes the game enjoyable. To me it was THE most game changing thing I have discovered so far. I found I could kick back and plan where or what I wanted to do and then let my team do it's thing. It is almost akin to saying "Sic em" to your dog and watch him tear shit up (sorry Sic, I don't mean you). Much more relaxing and entertaining. Now some people reading this may think what a lousy or lazy way to play a game. Letting the computer play a computer game for you. And they would maybe be right in a lot of ways. But they have NOT sat down and setup a 6 box group before or even played a MANUAL 6 box group sheesh, now that is some work.

I only say these things because I have been through it. Struggled through it is a better way to put it. I would save you some pain and frustration. Now you didn't say in your OP that you were a programmer or not. If you are then you can ignore what I say here. Programmers love this kinda stuff. (No offense meant, you guys put out some great stuff that I use everyday and hats off to you because I can't do the things you do). Big shout out to CWTN and Sic for making my life better and more enjoyable. Can't say enough about your products. Thanks guys.

Vrak

With rgmercs, I was able to get up and running in a short time. Took a "smash into that wall and see what happens" approach. (Some hilarious wipe outs for sure. Similar to how I mained a warrior in the early days I suppose)

Added bonus for me with rgmercs, have been able to learn a lot about how the macros work by experimenting with the code.

IRL - Greetings from a latecomer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back