• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Everquest not responding (1 Viewer)

Trax540

RedCents
531¢
Getting a ton of Blank black screens and "everquest not responding" when i try to load group Profile and log all 6 toons in at once.
I can mostly do it manually 1 toon at a time without issue however.

Anyone else experience this?

Are you still having this issue because I can't seem to load in my crew using MQ2AutoLogin using [session1] [session2] and so forth.

I can't even load into EQ with MQ running. The screen just goes black and freezes up.

Still having issue, Although i can load toons. If i select load group1, id say on average 2 or 3 will go black screen and says "Not responding"
Then i have to manually load them sometimes multiple times before they load. Seems they are freezing before server select.

it may be that the plugin is literally loading them too fast for your computer to handle well.

Some folks on the source board ( and I think a thread or two here) had similar issues where they needed to space out the sessions some, but the plugin doesn't have a timer. If you use winEQ you can use batch files where you can assign a timer. I am afraid though that I can only make mention of the possibility, not offer more help then that.

I personally have my groups broken up in groups of 3. So I load 3 toons, wait until they are full ingame, to load 3 more. I can handle say 5-6 at once, but at that point I 50/50 lose 1. And this is on a machine that can easily handle 18. With 11 instances loaded up I am only using roughly half my RAM and 40-50% CPU (Intel 4core)

It takes longer... but it more reliable. Plus, I am usually spending time looking around, sorting bags, figuring out what I want to do so... no need to have the crew up and running all that fast anyways =)

Last edited:
Is anyone still having this issue or found a fix for it ?

Ever since the April patch I am not able to even load EQ with MQ running. If I have MQ running and attempt to use the " patchme " shortcut, it goes to a black screen and freezes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I get this even when I try to load them one at a time. It was happening before the recent big patches though. I can run the game with or without wineq2, and the client loads with a black screen and says not responding. I can close it and try again and eventually it will work. Sometimes it takes several attempts but it will eventually load. And sometimes they just log straight in first time. `\_(ツ)_/` I tried troubleshooting plugins one by one and so far these ones seem to have no impact:

mq2advpath
mq2nav
mq2autologin
mq2bzsrch
mq2cast
mq2chatwnd
mq2cpuload
mq2custombinds
mq2debuffs
mq2exchange
mq2itemdisplay
mq2labels
mq2map
mq2nonagwindows
MQ2Posse
mq2viewport
mq2easyfind

Last edited:
I get this even when I try to load them one at a time. It was happening before the recent big patches though. I can run the game with or without wineq2, and the client loads with a black screen and says not responding. I can close it and try again and eventually it will work. Sometimes it takes several attempts but it will eventually load. And sometimes they just log straight in first time. `\_(ツ)_/` I tried troubleshooting plugins one by one and so far these ones seem to have no impact:

mq2advpath
mq2nav
mq2autologin
mq2bzsrch
mq2cast
mq2chatwnd
mq2cpuload
mq2custombinds
mq2debuffs
mq2exchange
mq2itemdisplay
mq2labels
mq2map
mq2nonagwindows
MQ2Posse
mq2viewport
mq2easyfind

I did a lot of trobuleshooting... Try this...

1) Disable Macroquest
2) Disable EQWin or whatever else you load with
3) Run the game from the eqgame.exe directly, make sure you have patchme attribute
4) Try to load multiple clients...
5) If it ever blackscreen freezes... it is something wrong with your client and computer.

I personally just live with it, but you can try to upgrade your Direct X installations because that might fix it. Tons of people told me to do that.

I've had accounts running since patch day without an issue. Double check your settings in WinEQ. Options -> EverQuest -> General -> EQPlayNice -> OFF. Also make sure to turn off the in game limiter if you running MQ2FPS or any of the others. Alt+O -> Display -> Advanced -> Adjust the two bottom sliders to max. That way only one program is modifying CPU usage/Frames.

Not solved =((((((((((((

Logging in great for a while but now the same problem is back. I still suspect it is something to do with the eqclient.ini because tampering with that always fixes the problem for a while at least.

Last edited:
I know this Has not been commented on since June, But did anyone ever find a fix for this issue?
I still get these annoying black screens sometimes 3 times in a row same toon, and also when doing a group login.

Are you just not seeing diddly or is the task manager saying the program is "not responding"? And at what point?
Does this happen regularly with out MQ loaded? (as suggested trying above)

As suggestions ( I am no programmer/developer) you can try:

Have the patcher "verify assests" (with out MQ not running...) this will make it check all your EQ files...takes a bit.

UIErrors.txt (found in your EQ directory) to see if your having some odd UI thing ...warning it only shows the last toon loaded...(if you can get to the character select screen you can load the default UI, if I recall correctly)

Check your log file is not too monstrous (better yet, if you do not need it, delete it) that is log.txt in your Everquest directory.

The there is Everquest/logs/dbg.txt ... might have some clues.... and while there check log files for suspect toon is not too big.

General "make sure windows is updated, video drivers updated, java is updates, and EQ directory+MQ directory is excluded on virus checks"

And then there is the "unload every plugin except MQ2IC (the one the hides you from DBG) and move around for 20-30m.... if you do not crash, load 1 plugin on suspect account at a time... with long pauses to run around trying to make it crash... seeing if you can isolate if it's a plugin

And of course, you can attach a debugger to the eqgame.exe that is crashing, or find the mini dump file.

Are you just not seeing diddly or is the task manager saying the program is "not responding"? And at what point?
Does this happen regularly with out MQ loaded? (as suggested trying above)

As suggestions ( I am no programmer/developer) you can try:

Have the patcher "verify assests" (with out MQ not running...) this will make it check all your EQ files...takes a bit.

UIErrors.txt (found in your EQ directory) to see if your having some odd UI thing ...warning it only shows the last toon loaded...(if you can get to the character select screen you can load the default UI, if I recall correctly)

Check your log file is not too monstrous (better yet, if you do not need it, delete it) that is log.txt in your Everquest directory.

The there is Everquest/logs/dbg.txt ... might have some clues.... and while there check log files for suspect toon is not too big.

General "make sure windows is updated, video drivers updated, java is updates, and EQ directory+MQ directory is excluded on virus checks"

And then there is the "unload every plugin except MQ2IC (the one the hides you from DBG) and move around for 20-30m.... if you do not crash, load 1 plugin on suspect account at a time... with long pauses to run around trying to make it crash... seeing if you can isolate if it's a plugin

And of course, you can attach a debugger to the eqgame.exe that is crashing, or find the mini dump file.
Happening with or without MQ running. Always happens just before you would see server select. Screen will stay black until you click it. Then says not responding.
I never really get any crashes once in game.

I've gone through most your suggestions to no avail yet.

If it is happening with out MQ running then, obviously it is likely not MQ related then....

This happen using the patcher to log in? Or using some other software?
Did the logs toss up anything useful?
What happens if you just leave the account alone for 10m+ not responding?
Is it one account, or random accounts?

The 3D graphics kick in after server selection, but before character selection, so at a guess that is not the issue. It does kick in some though before then.... graphics driver up to date? Anyone complaining about your card or driver on blogs?

Only thing that really happens pre server selection is the pop up news... and connecting to the server server (heh) which if it has issues connecting... will give a not responding error, but eventually times out and drops to a default log in screen.

Might potentially check your firewall logs (it is possible the firewall thinks you are under attack and blocking the connection, have had this happen before)
Might check your anti-virus and malware logs while you are at it (never hurts)

Might look into a program called "Glary Utilities" which has a lot of various tools (or a "one click maintenance" button) including some file checkers, disk clean up and optimization, and it's free for personal use.

Outside of that, running low on suggestions with out more data or being there to explore the issue. I mean, have seen log in issues turn out to be faulty RAM, bad HD, corrupted files, bad graphics card RAM, even the ISP throttling data, as well as screwed up log in info. Kinda just have to keep digging at it.

If it is happening with out MQ running then, obviously it is likely not MQ related then....

This happen using the patcher to log in? Or using some other software?
Did the logs toss up anything useful?
What happens if you just leave the account alone for 10m+ not responding?
Is it one account, or random accounts?

The 3D graphics kick in after server selection, but before character selection, so at a guess that is not the issue. It does kick in some though before then.... graphics driver up to date? Anyone complaining about your card or driver on blogs?

Only thing that really happens pre server selection is the pop up news... and connecting to the server server (heh) which if it has issues connecting... will give a not responding error, but eventually times out and drops to a default log in screen.

Might potentially check your firewall logs (it is possible the firewall thinks you are under attack and blocking the connection, have had this happen before)
Might check your anti-virus and malware logs while you are at it (never hurts)

Might look into a program called "Glary Utilities" which has a lot of various tools (or a "one click maintenance" button) including some file checkers, disk clean up and optimization, and it's free for personal use.

Outside of that, running low on suggestions with out more data or being there to explore the issue. I mean, have seen log in issues turn out to be faulty RAM, bad HD, corrupted files, bad graphics card RAM, even the ISP throttling data, as well as screwed up log in info. Kinda just have to keep digging at it.

Totally random toons, And I bypass patcher.
I applied the fix mentioned in https://www.redguides.com/community...o-the-black-screen-bug-when-logging-in.66322/
Logged groups in half a dozen times In and out and havent had a single black screen though. !\
Crossing my fingers that this definitly took care of the issue

Problem - Everquest not responding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back