• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - 64bit discussion (scheduled 2-15-2022 for live server) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to check out what's happening in beta and found this:

Beta is being updated to use 64 bit processes at ~12:00pm PT on Monday, November 8th, 2021. It should be back up in less than an hour.

I would rather see them working on ToL, like aa's and spells.

Edit: it seems casters finally got their spells today but no aa's

Easy way to go from Legacy -> Next?
1. download next via the RG launcher (make sure you're installing to a new directory, NO NOT install OVER your mq2 directory)
2. hit the migrator tool (will move any configs/macros etc from old install) https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/macroquest-migrator.2156/
3. setup framelimiter https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/mqnext-framelimiter-demo.78448/
4. load mq2lua /plugin Lua
5. if you want the functionality of the MQ2 "MQ2TargetInfo"
- They are now in 3 separate plugins:
/plugin groupinfo
/plugin targetinfo
/plugin xtarinfo

mental notes:
1. mq2map click is Control+Shift+Click
2. new easyfind self travel is Control+Click (reminder in find window title bar)
3. new easyfind group travel is Control+Shift+Click
4. If you selected a destination in your zone guide and want to activate it you /travelto activate
5. /yes and /no are now aliases !yes and !no if you need them.

Bonus points:

>>> Lootly <<<

Using my noobie question on the week with this one...with EQ 64 bit coming...will it impact MQ Next performance? Would hate to finally pull the trigger on this to find out it breaks w/ EQ 64. Thoughts?

Using my noobie question on the week with this one...with EQ 64 bit coming...will it impact MQ Next performance? Would hate to finally pull the trigger on this to find out it breaks w/ EQ 64. Thoughts?
moved your 64bit question to the 64bit discussion thread.

Yup, EQ is changing to 64bit. Yup MQ/MQ2 will require rework.

here are some wise words from brainiac:
the code for the 64bit client and the 32bit client is the same
the difference is the bitness
but the functions, structs, etc is all the same, just recompiled for different architecture
one of the big diffs is likely going to be how detours work
since the ancient version that mq is using is only supported on 32bit and newer versions work on 64bit but are used very differently
so we're tlaking about a re-implementation of how we do detours in mq

Anything Sic, Brainiac kinda laid down the tech side, do we have a plan (or a race?) to catch up with the sudden 64bit updates?
Mule said he started working on the Mq2 64bit version, and brain mentioned it isn't really a lot of value doing too much with the beta since it changes daily.

I have no doubt that when there is something to work on the devs will be working on it. I don't imagine any of them are like "yup I did all this stuff, time to give up"

As far as a time line, I don't think there is one, or even possible to make one even if they wanted to.

Lots of things are not final with regards to dbg and their own release timetable

I would hope the beta exe lets them start some work but it will be hard for them to test anything when beta updates every day. Test should give them a month to work on it hopefully thats enough time.

Mule said he started working on the Mq2 64bit version, and brain mentioned it isn't really a lot of value doing too much with the beta since it changes daily.

I have no doubt that when there is something to work on the devs will be working on it. I don't imagine any of them are like "yup I did all this stuff, time to give up"

As far as a time line, I don't there is one, or even possible to make one even if they wanted.

Lots of things are not final with regards to dbg and their own release timetable
Thanks Sic, for me that would be called good news indeed. :D

hopefully the 64bit upgrade will be as nice as the "Next" upgrade to mq2. And hopefully the developers will make them work together somehow. The future looks exciting!

I guess I'm confused if this will cause memory per instance of EQ to increase or just be the same. Any clues?
nobody really knows for sure yet, but one of the advantages of 64bit is the ability to allocate more memory, so i expect over time they will take advantage of this.

So, lol, beta was a giant clusterfuck with the 64bit .exe. A+ effort. lol.

Once a semi-stable 64bit .exe is pushed to beta and, eventually, to test, is that when you all (developers) will start hammering away and making MQ/MQ2 work with the new .exe? We talking a multi-month or like a year-long process to fix?

Once a semi-stable 64bit .exe is pushed to beta and, eventually, to test, is that when you all (developers) will start hammering away and making MQ/MQ2 work with the new .exe? We talking a multi-month or like a year-long process to fix?
Wonder if the MQ community could help w/ validations?

Beta won't really give much of a head start. Could probably start work on overhauling detours before it lands on test, but any work in earnest will really only be when it lands on test. I'd guess the timescale would be months for this, but who knows until it happens.

Will the 64 bit upgrade cause any problems with MQ2?
moved your 64bit question to the 64bit discussion thread.

please read back in the thread for other comments about it.

Next won't be 64bit? 32bit apps can work right along side 64 bit apps?

repeating:

here are some wise words from brainiac:
the code for the 64bit client and the 32bit client is the same
the difference is the bitness
but the functions, structs, etc is all the same, just recompiled for different architecture
one of the big diffs is likely going to be how detours work
since the ancient version that mq is using is only supported on 32bit and newer versions work on 64bit but are used very differently
so we're tlaking about a re-implementation of how we do detours in mq

We have a > Tip the Devs < sticky if anyone wanted to show the devs your appreciation for their efforts

Will only "MQNext" be reworked for 64-bit EQ or "regular MQ2" as well? I am all switched to Next but was curious.
My understanding is eqmule and possibly SwiftyMuse will work on getting MQ2 to work with 64 bit.

brainiac, dannuic, and I (and anyone else who wants to help) will work on getting a 64 bit compatible version of Next.

Since it's being reworked, isn't the focus going more into Next? I thought I had read that somewhere.
well mule said he will continue to work on mq2, but RG will be moving as the supported "stable" version of MacroQuest as MacroQuest "next". eventually, we won't have mq2

News - 64bit discussion (scheduled 2-15-2022 for live server)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back