• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Anyone drive their Team not with a tank? (1 Viewer)

a puller of some sort and having your assists do pet tank so itd be /mac kissassist pettank
or a pet class that can pull. ie a necro, or a beastlord.
its rare to not see a group driven with out a tank but a puller of some sort, enchanter, bard, rouge. ( classes with blurs/mezes)

Last edited:
Kinda new and considering driving with Beast or Necro. I have tanks but don’t want to drive one.
any best non tank driving practices out there?
I use monk. The tank sits in tank mode with Main Assist, while everyone else is in KA/CWTN assist modes. When I need to move around, place everyone into chase mode with my puller as MA. Works well.

i did for group content for ages, but when doing dynamic content (missions etc) and raiding, where you have swap targets you have to drive with your tank.

Kiss and the CWTN plugs basically assume (implicitly) that you are driving with your MA

Last edited:
I have a group where I also drive with my enchanter, and pull with him. If I have a bad pull he can sort it out before it gets to the group most times - and then I can bring them in one at a time for the tank to pick up. Or I can charm one for more DPS etc. And worse case scenario - wait for the rogue to come out and get my body. MQ2Rogue is seriously worth every penny here. lol

I did with my shaman for quite awhile, but ultimately it was easier to just do it with my SK. (Mainly because of the plugin's)

I drove with a nec for a very long time - it is infinitely easier driving with a tank, especially when you get into missions instead of just spawn camping

I could imagine the best way to do it would be either you as the puller or having a button to toggle chase/puller tank setting on your tank. I just always drive from the tank when I play even if it isn’t my raid character.

I drive with my bard for exp camps usually because I like pulling and just have the tank sitting there as MA and he pulls them off the bard when they get in range.

It is probably better to drive with the tank though, especially for missions where switching targets is needed.

I dont drive with a tank usually. I normally use my bard to selo and dual invis my mage then i run to the camp location. Once there I CoH the team and drop campfire. Now this is where I will start to drop toons and campfire in alts im leveling or gearing. When my group is running my tank is in tank mode, all the others are in assist with the exception of my puller who is in puller or im playing manually. I rotate between all my toons to manage AA spending. I then spend time on any toons running KA and moniter them for further improvements. I use CWTN plugins whenever I can and those toons I spend less time on. The only real time that I drive on my tank is when I am on a mission or quest that requires me to move around alot or for target switching purposes then ill drive my tank.

Bard driver here. It's my main that I play outside of boxing by myself so it's just natural. I don't want to do tank stuff, so I let the automation do that.

i did for group content for ages, but when doing dynamic content (missions etc) and raiding, where you have swap targets you have to drive with your tank.

Kiss and the CWTN plugs basically assume (implicitly) that you are driving with your MA

CWTN Plugins aren't under the assumption you drive with the tank.

For the purposes of the plugin you can drive with any toon you want. If for example you want to be a puller to a specified area and have the tank automatically engage you can set the tank into a tank mode, and then just pull thing manually into the camp. The tank would automatically engage the mobs as they entered and then you could assist the tank. It is however the expectation that your MA will likely be your tank, as they should be the first one to engage (aside from puller) which tells other members of the group (using cwtn plugins) that it's time to help.

You can also run a tank in chase assist, but set their assist at to 100 and then set them as the main tank in the group roles which would make them automatically engage anything while chasing that the group has aggro from, as well as do taunting and defensive abilities. This essentially makes it a "chase tank" but without a specific role for the situation being assigned in the plugin.

recently adjustments were made that allow you to use Enchanter/Mage/Necromancer pets as sort of a sudo MA, in that if you set for example a Mage as the MA, and they have a pet, and the pet is engaging a mob inside the camp at melee distance, then it will cause assist toons to assist the mage. It took some adjustments to get that sorted, but it should allow you to set caster classes as MA and expect it to work as it would if you were manually assisting a mage.

Hopefully this clears things up in reference to the CWTN plugins.

With that said. I find it to be infinitely easier to pull and tank with the same toon. There's no need for a transfer of aggro from the puller to the tank, the tank can typically sustain more damage during a pull and reasonably be expected to live, if the tank happens to be an SK they can still split pulls if necessary, etc.

I personally drive with my tank unless I'm testing something else at the moment.

Late to the party...I didn't see this mentioned though.

I navigate my group camp to camp with my druid + mage. Once I setup camp I exclusively pull / protect with the tank driving. Especially in recent content my silvers can't take hits from mobs or they get rounded. I need my beefy tank (Gold) to take the damage from the start.

Question - Anyone drive their Team not with a tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back