• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - What's on your Black Friday shopping list? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,670¢
I'm thinking it's time for a 4TB Samsung 870EVO Sata-III SSD to backup all my routine stuff! ($300 at Amazon or Newegg.)

My machines all use NVMe PCI-e boot drives now, but I back them up to internal traditional 2TB spinners. But I'm thinking I'll use one tower machine like it's a NAS and put the single 4TB in it and then point all the backup jobs to it across my 1Gb ethernet network.

I like the speed, but my top priority is to reduce power consumption. I have one machine that's "ON" nearly all the time. By making that my NAS I can remove old power hungry 2TB spinners from all my other toy machines.

So that's what's top on my list for BF deals.

nice BD! did you ever post up pics of your setup in the > Post your IRL Setup < ? if you didn't i bet your setup is pretty sweet

I don't normally do the BF stuff, and don't think i intend to this year, but some of the stuff is pretty tempting

I'm sorta with Sic on this one, however, if I do see something outrageous for the wife/kids, I will snag it. Sounds like you have a nice build, I do wonder why your keeping any HD's. Get 1 or more SSD's and make that your backup/secure storage. wWth the NVME's dropping in price, SSD's are also dropping, and they are lower power, much more reliable then spinnies. just my 2cp. Would love to see your setup.

I'm thinking it's time for a 4TB Samsung 870EVO Sata-III SSD to backup all my routine stuff! ($300 at Amazon or Newegg.)

My machines all use NVMe PCI-e boot drives now, but I back them up to internal traditional 2TB spinners. But I'm thinking I'll use one tower machine like it's a NAS and put the single 4TB in it and then point all the backup jobs to it across my 1Gb ethernet network.

I like the speed, but my top priority is to reduce power consumption. I have one machine that's "ON" nearly all the time. By making that my NAS I can remove old power hungry 2TB spinners from all my other toy machines.

So that's what's top on my list for BF deals.

If you haven't already, you may want to look into UnRaid to run the NAS. I converted from a Debian Linux home server about a year ago and it really is fantastic. It's basically a Raid 4 setup, with a single parity disk that acts as backup for unlimited drives. It's super simplistic and the expandability is unmatched. Docker native capability is also a huge plus.

There's a couple users working on extreme low power consumption builds that may be of interest! There's one build using 40W max with 4 spinning disks and 19W at idle, might be right up your alley!

Just something to consider!

I did Black Friday once in my life. My aunt calls me, Hey there is a Television that I want in a store near you on Black Friday, but I'm going to be somewhere else picking up a few other items. Can you please go down there and get me the TV. I replied, yeah no problem I will get for you. She says ok you have to be there between 6 and 9 am.
At this point I'm like Ummm I don't even get out of bed till 8:30 and I got to have my coffee before I go anywhere.
So, I tell her ok I will be there in the morning to get the TV.

I get there about 8 am and the parking is packed FULL. I'm like wtf is going on here. I park the car proceed to go inside and get stopped at the door. The lady asks me what I'm getting today. I said a TV. She says oh your in luck we still have a few tickets left for the TV. At this point I'm like I just want to get the TV and GTF outta here. She says, You have to wait in line until 9am and you will need this ticket to get the TV.

Are you kidding me? Ok, so I squeeze in the door through tons of people in lines and find the TV line. Wait almost an hour and they start handing out everything for your ticket. By the time I get the TV and get back to my car its NOON.
I get home and telling my wife what a cluster fook just place and my phone rings. My Aunt Says did you get the TV. I replied yes and don't ever ask me to shop on Black Friday again. We all chuckled and I vowed to never shop Black Friday Again.

About a week later I went in to the same store and they had the same fookin TV there for the same price I paid on Black Friday.

I did Black Friday once in my life. My aunt calls me, Hey there is a Television that I want in a store near you on Black Friday, but I'm going to be somewhere else picking up a few other items. Can you please go down there and get me the TV. I replied, yeah no problem I will get for you. She says ok you have to be there between 6 and 9 am.
At this point I'm like Ummm I don't even get out of bed till 8:30 and I got to have my coffee before I go anywhere.
So, I tell her ok I will be there in the morning to get the TV.

I get there about 8 am and the parking is packed FULL. I'm like wtf is going on here. I park the car proceed to go inside and get stopped at the door. The lady asks me what I'm getting today. I said a TV. She says oh your in luck we still have a few tickets left for the TV. At this point I'm like I just want to get the TV and GTF outta here. She says, You have to wait in line until 9am and you will need this ticket to get the TV.

Are you kidding me? Ok, so I squeeze in the door through tons of people in lines and find the TV line. Wait almost an hour and they start handing out everything for your ticket. By the time I get the TV and get back to my car its NOON.
I get home and telling my wife what a cluster fook just place and my phone rings. My Aunt Says did you get the TV. I replied yes and don't ever ask me to shop on Black Friday again. We all chuckled and I vowed to never shop Black Friday Again.

About a week later I went in to the same store and they had the same fookin TV there for the same price I paid on Black Friday.
Yikes that doesn't sound fun. Seeing those tramples or fights every year always makes me sad too

Tech - What's on your Black Friday shopping list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back