• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - turning 40 - midlife crisis! (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,120¢
Last monday i turned 40. Due to the pandemic it wasnt much of a celebration but it got me thinking about other peoples midlife crisis that ive seen. the worst one was when we were in our 20s a friends dad changed his entire wordrobe, got a new BIG car... and a friggin tupé. whats the worst case of midlife crisis you've seen? Or even had one?

Last monday i turned 40. Due to the pandemic it wasnt much of a celebration but it got me thinking about other peoples midlife crisis that ive seen. the worst one was when we were in our 20s a friends dad changed his entire wordrobe, got a new BIG car... and a friggin tupé. whats the worst case of midlife crisis you've seen? Or even had one?

I had a very quiet 40th (years now haha), I don't like making a big fuss about my birthday anyway, so it suited me fine.. I'm not sure what triggers the mid-life crisis, but yeah some people seem to get it and some do not..
I am lucky insofar that I am in a good career, have a good person with me for my wife, and we're happy and healthy. Cant ask for much more than that! Oh, and I'm looking at adding a 3rd monitor to my PC setup!!

Now, i had a buddy who works with me, who decided to get a new wife, house, and car, all in a pretty short order.. I was shocked at how fast you can replace those.. and #1 triggered 2 and 3 LOL
It wasnt a porsche he got, but a little convertible BMW that he can drive around in the 2 months of summer we get here and feel the wind against his BALD head.. he has the good sense to not get a toupée (RUG) !

It seems I have mine every 10 years. At 30 it was a limited edition MR2 Spyder. At 40 a 550i BMW. 50 is in 2 months and I’m afraid I might come home with a Range Rover Sport. How terrible would that be?!

It seems I have mine every 10 years. At 30 it was a limited edition MR2 Spyder. At 40 a 550i BMW. 50 is in 2 months and I’m afraid I might come home with a Range Rover Sport. How terrible would that be?!
as long as you have the money to spend i dont see a problem :). In your case its kinda funny how you spend your money in 10 year increments, its not like you got a toupée ;)

Bought a Z06 Corvette in April when the pandemic first started and car prices actually dipped dramatically. I turned 36 in April so early mid-life crisis? Maybe but I doubt it since I’d been long to get a fun car again ever since I gave up my S4 at 31. Been super good last few years while wife and i built our home and after pandemic hit figured I’d waited long enough.

Bought a Z06 Corvette in April when the pandemic first started and car prices actually dipped dramatically. I turned 36 in April so early mid-life crisis? Maybe but I doubt it since I’d been long to get a fun car again ever since I gave up my S4 at 31. Been super good last few years while wife and i built our home and after pandemic hit figured I’d waited long enough.

Yeah thats all good, especially if it was something you wanted, and waited (patiently!) for it!!

100% nothing at all wrong in a taste for new sporty vehicles! I've hummed and hawed at a BMW x5 for a few years, but haven't broke down and did it.. So the VW Touareg is gonna have to suffer a few more years! I'm a mean dad!

Yeah thats all good, especially if it was something you wanted, and waited (patiently!) for it!!

Agreed. the real problem is now that my annual mileage is so low on the primary car (worked from home past 4 years but not when I bought it) when I finally replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee (probably drive it at least 2 more years) I”m thinking I’ll replace the cherokee when it finally goes with a lease. And given how inexpensive (relatively) the X3M leases......

Agreed. the real problem is now that my annual mileage is so low on the primary car (worked from home past 4 years but not when I bought it) when I finally replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee (probably drive it at least 2 more years) I”m thinking I’ll replace the cherokee when it finally goes with a lease. And given how inexpensive (relatively) the X3M leases......

heh yeah i am in a similar situation myself.. I have a vw touareg i bought like 8 years ago, and barely any miles on it.. I have a company vehicle, so I'm using that 90% of the time.. And I enjoy driving my touareg, but i just dont get the time to.. So if i was to get into a new, fancier, vehicle, its not really worth the cost..

Definitely lease becomes an attractive idea in these situations..

I think men are more apt to go through a midlife crisis, more because of the implied decrease in virility, whereas women naturally have a mefashift in hormones that lasts for years...and we've always had to deal with periodic(lol) hormone shifts anyway. What women experience in menopause is categorized as menopausal, while men don't HAVE a set period or marker for their loss of virility, it happens every year over time. The crisis is more about when they realize they've lost it and just how much, that they start a desperate grab for remasculinization. Usually in the form of faster, beefier, or flashier cars, younger women, and younger clothes or look. Men's makeover aren't supposed to be noticed though like a woman's. The guy just thinks their makeover(dye, toupe, new cut, etc etc) is just going to erase everyone's memory of what they looked like last week and last year lol.

Last girl I dated was 19 and I was 35. While it was great and all, I feel like I benefitted way more (wink wink) from the relationship. She also had the mentality of someone who is barely an adult....It was painful at times, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I would put this in the category of midlife crisis lol.

as long as you have the money to spend i dont see a problem :). In your case its kinda funny how you spend your money in 10 year increments, its not like you got a toupée ;)

Luckily no danger of that here, even after chemo my hair grew back with a vengeance. If I let it go long enough, I could pass for a member of the Adams family 😆🙊

My freaking mid-life crisis has thrown me into peri-menopause, panic attacks, and tons of new medications. (46, almost 47) I think I'd rather solve it all by buying replacing my jeep with a new Audi Q7 lol. I have a 210 lb mastiff that I have to tote around otherwise I wouldn't mind the porsche. Seriously doubt that is going to happen though. :(

My freaking mid-life crisis has thrown me into peri-menopause, panic attacks, and tons of new medications. (46, almost 47) I think I'd rather solve it all by buying replacing my jeep with a new Audi Q7 lol. I have a 210 lb mastiff that I have to tote around otherwise I wouldn't mind the porsche. Seriously doubt that is going to happen though. :(

Lol yeah that big pup will need a lot of room.. Q5 wouldnt cut it for sure! And I "think" the cheyenne (sp?) is the same frame as the Q5?

I had a kid late with the 2nd wife...so I can either buy the Porsche or send my youngest to college. Some days I look out the window and can feel myself driving the car. Actually, he isn't a bad kid and I want him to go to college.

I had a kid late with the 2nd wife...so I can either buy the Porsche or send my youngest to college. Some days I look out the window and can feel myself driving the car. Actually, he isn't a bad kid and I want him to go to college.
could probably get some of us to make vroom vroom sounds out your window

Last girl I dated was 19 and I was 35. While it was great and all, I feel like I benefitted way more (wink wink) from the relationship. She also had the mentality of someone who is barely an adult....It was painful at times, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I would put this in the category of midlife crisis lol.

Being able to take your gf to a bar is kind of the lowest possible requirement for me. I don’t understand how people 23 can date people under 20, much less someone a decade or two older. Doesn’t seem fun.

Although, COVID messed all that up, I guess.

Half your age plus 7, but this is a thread on mid life crises and being skeevy is part and parcel. Poor guy dies at 70, though.

I'm waiting until at least 70 to have my own mid life crisis, that way I live to be 140.

My wife left me a few days before my 40th birthday. That was a eye opener for sure haha. She said I was a great husband but very boring. So traded me in for a younger model. I think that put my mid life on hold for a bit. Now am closing in on 50 and it has hit. Still got all my hair so no probs there and really don't want to buy a bigger car or anything. Boss still wants me to work like I am 20 of course but that is normal. I have this urge for more dad jokes and I enjoy doing everything I want to do but no honey do's anymore so can go to the garage and work on my car and not paint the kitchen. I do dream of a tiny house somewhere off the beaten path with internet of course so I can just be left alone to grow old and die. Kids are grown and they love me and family is good. Everybody else haha fuck em!

At 40, I had a huge MadHatter based birthday party. Gotta stay young at heart and enjoy every day.

Knightly is right though. (CurrentAge/2)+7 - don't go further. If you do, get a second to counter the age difference. #justsaying

IRL - turning 40 - midlife crisis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back