• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Trying to decide whether a 6th box is necessary? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
83¢
Howdy all! Currently running a 5 box. I do have a maxed out necro that runs around with the group but just parks out of the group and dots up some mods for free DPS.

Current group is SK/Sham/Bard/Zerk/Mage/MERC Cleric. All 110.

I mostly play group content and will be progressing through ToV as I can.

I'm wondering if a 6th toon is a good idea, or even necessary? Unless I just happen to grab 4 mobs at a time, the cleric merc and the shaman are generally enough to keep my SK going. But was considering maybe a an actual cleric? Or would it be a waste of time and energy to get one all the way up to 110(and beyond)? I don't think that replacing the cleric merc with another DPS is wise because I don't think my shaman can keep up by himself.

Thanks for the input!

You have to have a real cleric. Period. There are some events where you will want / need to run your cleric manually to pass. Real cleric > merc cleric.

I prefer enchanters over bards...for mez purposes and well, everything else that bards do but...the day will come when CWtN and company creates a bard god plugin! So hold onto that bard!

Real cleric ftw. Mercs are for peeps without mq2. If cost is an issue sub for a month after you get 105 or so and auto grant some aa plus grind what you can. Still far better than a merc.

My 2 cents on all this is ask yourself this, Well I am all ready boxing 5 characters and a 6 box would give me the full grp no merc exp bonus.. Out of all honesty if your re boxing 5 might as well go for the bonus whats one more toon.

It, depends on what you want to do. I personally run a warrior, cleric, bard 3box with x3 rogue mercs on burn. This allows me to take on pretty much anything with the execption of T2 TBL stuff you know brass palace, majority of the smoke trials. I can also fight endlessly never a need to sit and med. The bard in this team in invaluable slow, cc, buffs, bard feet, dual invisibility, puller the list goes on and on. Literally the only thing i can think of that is missing is evac and CoH. That said I dont sixbox because I dont want to pay for it all. If i could get a krono empire going then perhaps I would but for now 3 accounts + redguide. If money is not an issue then go for the six box and roll a real cleric not only would you get the no merc xp bonus but you would also have an additional bonus of being able to make use of the clerics divine alliance spell which adds alot of passive healing when you shaman casts a heal on that target. This should make it possible for you to tackle harder material such as rusted cliffs.

Thanks for the input everyone! Gonna for sure go Cleric for now, we'll see about the chanter.

+1 to @SA_krycek ... as long as you actually have the bard, you may as well stick with it for now. The mage pets are getting a lot more out of the overhaste aura than they will out of what the enchanter provides.

Pop a Cleric merc for the buff every now and then. You don't need the Cleric. If you aren't already using v1ndi's Shaman ini, use it unless you already have a refined ini. Disable that damned spammy lupine crap in the ini other than that it is solid gold. Get a second Zerk if you're gonna roll with a 6th character. TBL RK 3 / GMM geared SK w/ AA's you don't need more than the Shaman for heals on many group encounters in TBL, none that I've tried up to the TBL Jann's Veil & Teleport Lamp. I've done it twice, both times with horribly geared Shamans ... and low AA barely above base. The trick is getting the SK geared, doing stuff like popping epic / CoA BP prior to named engage til you can square away the gear.

I'm telling you man, BRD + 2 BERs + Shaman's Dissident Roar = things *explode* -- with that group configuration you're a walking exploit. I can't speak highly enough of Sic's Bard ini as well.

Bard does well for crowd control, I use a ENC as well. Thing is my main is the Enchanter, and I've been playing one for approx 20 years, I can do crazy insane things so the ENC permanently stays. When I'm not being lazy and have the Bard auto pull for me I zerg my team and mez sometimes over a dozen mobs at a time an inch from my group and the Bard does very well when I'm slacking but when I'm not slacking there's no contest, the ENC is still the CC king particularly with Perplexing Glance which is game-changing but the Bard man gives so much more than just CC. The ENC actually does respectable DPS but not until you're throwing 100aa after 100aa into focus AA's, a million damage is realistically feasible with one nuke and a Bard with some AA triggering.

I run ENC/SHM/SK/BRD/BER/BER and it's just crazy stupid. If you're doing top tier raids with your box team, get the Cleric. If not, don't. I can pop the GMM chest in 28min post-nerf. I speed run Brass Palace and can kill the first named guy before his DS is an issue. I can clear Tyrant of Fire in under 25min. All of that is killing one mob at a time, just really damn fast. Shaman handles all heals, cures, adds DPS.

Last edited:
Question - Trying to decide whether a 6th box is necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back