• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Threadripper 1950x @$600 (1 Viewer)

Anyone actually get threadripper and see how many they can box with it ? Im planning on getting the 2950x at end of the month. Right now I can box 24-30 toons with i7 4790k the CPU isnt the issue though it only uses 50% unless you're zoning. The issue at that point is ram 30 toons with windows 32 gbs aint enough.

i was looking into making a build using a threadripper first gen but haven't gotten to it

Thinking more on it you should be able to box 6-8 groups with just 1700x or 2700x the issue is ram at 4 groups with windows and other shit running you need 32 gbs. So even if you have the threadripper you would really have to get 128gbs of ram otherwise you could get the cheaper 2700x with 64gbs and box probably 8 groups. GPU wise you should be able to do it with even a 580. My 480 only uses 35-40% load with 5 groups.

Also the 480/580 are way better for EQ. Right now with 1080ti FTW3 i have 8 toons loaded its at 38%. On my other PC i got 24 toons loaded the 480 is at 28%. All the clients are using the same eqclient.ini with the same settings.

I was going to do a 1950x build just to see how many i could box but i wanted to wait for the 2nd generation versions for all the bugs to be fixed. The 2950x is out aug 31st and for $300 more you might as well wait for that right ?

Last edited:
true, if i was going to build a newer comp i would shoot for the moon on ram anyway. the video card I run now has been working well for my current setup but looking to maybe expand that. But I am also looking into a i9 rig that may be more stable(via temp and multi thread processing)

true, if i was going to build a newer comp i would shoot for the moon on ram anyway. the video card I run now has been working well for my current setup but looking to maybe expand that. But I am also looking into a i9 rig that may be more stable(via temp and multi thread processing)

So comparing 3 systems

i7 4790k
1700x
2700x

Pure cores is the issue with the 4790k after 4 groups you run into serious input lag in windows.
For the 1700x and 2700x the issue is more GPU You can get 10 groups going on either pretty reliably but even with a 1080ti you're pushing the limits of the GPU 5 groups used 45%. On a 580 7 groups used 30%. Memory wasnt an issue all 3 systems have 32 gbs of ram and windows 10 is pretty good at managing memory total memory in use on all 3 was over 35 gbs but it was only using 15-20 gbs of the actual ram the rest was virtual memory.

So when buying the threadripper or even the intel i9s you would want to sli/crossfire otherwise the GPU will be the bottle neck here. Even the 1950x threadripper should be capable of running 12-15 groups with ease but a single GPU even the 1080ti cant handle that.

Who would need to box 15 groups anyway right :)

After updating MB Bios and all drivers on the MB instead of the windows 10 ones and using the asus recommended GPU drivers i seen a drastic reduction in CPU and GPU load. 30 toons on 2700x is using 27% of the CPU and about 30% of the GPU with 75% of the 32gbs of ram (actual memory load is 46 gbs but windows 10 is using virtual memory for most of it actual ram usage is 27 gbs). So the 1950 and 2950x would just be crazy overkill if the 2700x can handle 30 toons this easily.

Last edited:
Ya i built a 2700x system before the 2950x comes out. I wanted to compare how it handles 30-50 toons over a 1700x or i7 4790k. So far I see no reason to go for either threadripper. 30 toon only uses 27% of the CPU and they're killing shit not just standing there. Memory is the bottle neck at 32 gbs you probably need more ram if you wanted to load more. I have bg FPS limited to 15 in game settings and using mq2eqwire. I could probably up the FPS 5 or more and still not come close to maxing the CPU out.

i built it myself.

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
  • Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 5 WiFi
  • Gskill Flare X 64 gb ( 4x16gb ) 2400 DDR4
  • ASUS RX 580 8gb
  • Corsair H80i V2 Water Cooler
  • Rosewill Thor V2 Case
  • EVGA 750w full modular PSU
  • Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M2 SSD

Last edited:
lol the west bug was from AMD older video cards would cause the video to turn solid black only looking west but as soon as you looked a little off of west it would load the graphics again. It only affected AMD video cards and one version of nvidia from evga I believe

Damn, I should not use 1080ti on my new system.

I bought a system with
E5 2680V2 *2 20 Cores total with 50M L3 Cache
256GB DDR3 ECC Ram
1080Ti

All I want is box 9 full group to raid. I will arrive at home tomorrow to start to test it.
But seems 1080ti will be the bottleneck of this?

Nice rig Darcreign!

As others have pointed, RAM is one problem when trying to box many. About 1GB per EQ instance to be safe is needed.

You can run Memory Cleaner and trim working set memory to min once everyone is in the same zone. This will really cut down on memory usage.

CPU seldom is a problem (I can run 20 on a slow 2GHz mini NUC i5-4590T).

However there is another problem.

At some point running multiple instances switching becomes really slow and unresponsive, on some computers it starts at 13-14 instances on some computers at 20+. CPU might still be at 30-40% but system just becomes slow.

It is some Windows resource that each eqgame takes from the system but I have no clue what it is.

This is a good read on performance problems with multiple cores
https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2018/08/16/24-core-cpu-and-i-cant-type-an-email-part-one/

not really lol I have my own guild with top end guild hall and I also have the port clickies, like the statue and the lamp from my guild hall. If I bring my army out its an auto pick zone I can create also I will announce rot loot with CoTH so most people leave me alone. I play on same server as William12 and have never ran into him

Tech - Threadripper 1950x @$600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back