• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - The earliest bug or exploit you remember (1 Viewer)

earliest...hmmm...I can't remember if it was aggroing through walls at Karnor's Castle back in the day or the illusioning through the door of the Crypt in Old Seb. Those were the first 2 i remember. The aggro thing back then got some people in trouble I remember.

I remember taking my ranger and putting him on top of a wall in Freeport. Really the only big I can recall. I only heard of them after they were fixed.

Used to be explicit in nexus I think where u could get on top pillars and range mobs to dealth and they couldn't reach you

Back in the day they had this quest to turn in Bone Chips to an NPC for a small amount of EXP for a lowbie... Well seemed to give an AA or so at lvl 65 If I recall correctly. I had my necro converting meat to bones and just maxing all my toons AA's. I then realized I would get caught and my toons would be rolled back, but sems they just fixed the amount of exp and left everyone alone.

This one is still active as far as I know before showeq/mq2 I would check for raid mobs in a zone by summoning an eye of zomm into a wall and it pop up at a random place in the zone eventually you could get close enough to a check if a raid mob was up.

I was power leveled by a cleric once in a GoD instance where the gate would never shut and it would spawn mobs non stop and they died relatively quick and I did at least a couple levels within an hour back in era and there was some way the cleric wouldn’t die and it kept spawning mobs and the cleric would cast something to stay invulnerable. Wish I remember more details!

One of the latest, was like 5-6 years ago, there was a quest in Underfoot expac in Lichen Creep that didn’t have a min level req to get the quest. So you could group with level 1, bring them in and get the 3 mercenary tasks and get an alt from 1 to 58 or so in 5 mins or less

One of the latest, was like 5-6 years ago, there was a quest in Underfoot expac in Lichen Creep that didn’t have a min level req to get the quest. So you could group with level 1, bring them in and get the 3 mercenary tasks and get an alt from 1 to 58 or so in 5 mins or less
Too many people were standing in pok, lobby, or bazaar and spamming the achievements.

Being able to summon multiple mage pets at once. Like, ALL the pets. Only lasted for about 24 hours before an emergency patch IIRC.

So, is it just EQ related?
If not, then gotta go with NES cheat codes (up up down down left right left right A B)
Computer related, gotta be Duping in Diablo 1. Drop an item on the floor, and at the exact same moment you would be picking it up, left click a potion and voila, two of the same!
Then I found out about Trainers for it... lol

Being able to summon multiple mage pets at once. Like, ALL the pets. Only lasted for about 24 hours before an emergency patch IIRC.
It was live for longer than that, but not by much. It involved having a pet, summoning an eye of zomm. I don't remember if you killed the eye, or just summoned another pet. Necros could do it as well if they had an item that let them cast eye of zomm.

There was a place near the Shadowhaven entrance to Paludal Caverns. You could get into and mobs would just freeze in their spot until you damaged them enough to put them in a death run. Was at the start of the narrow path from recondite camp 1 to camp 2.

There was a bug in dueling. I don't remember it exactly, but my friend playing a dark elf cleric found it out by accident dueling an sk. It involved a combination of effects. Like rooting, blinding, fearing, snaring, and stunning them in a certain order. They eventually figured out the exact sequence and he could duplicate it. What it did was remove the other player from the duel, but not you. So they couldn't attack you because you weren't a valid target (just like trying to nuke or attack player outside of a duel), but he could still engage them. I don't know if they ever fixed it.

I remember the camp into a wall repeatedly would eventually send you to the evac spot in the zone. Was the easy way across Sirens Grotto back in the day.

I remember being able to disarm magical weapons and them fall onto the ground. We had a monk farm the 2 hander from the froglok king doing that. Disarm would work, the sword dropped onto the ground, and the king would just spawn a new sword.

Not a huge thing, but I found out when they gave everyone a free heroic character. You can create the character, and sacrifice it all the way down, delete the character, and remake it for unlimited essence emeralds. I also found out that divine intervention can proc and save a sacrifice and still generate an essence emerald. Not a huge need for them, but was a nice little perk.

Was nerfed fast. The first monk to get to that part of epic in Kunark. You hand in a note to an npc, get a note back to take somewhere else. Before it was fixed it was the same note, and you could just hand it in again for another nice bump of xp. Guy leveled himself to 60 that way.

I remember hearing something about a demo disc, from some magazine, that was able to get continuous free game time back in the AOL days. Not sure if true.

I do remember "acquiring" free cable television from splicing the cable line from the box down the street, though lol - unrelated

Brief time about a week you could put notrade items in a bag, drop it and someone else could pick it up.... May have flagged a few people like that for VT /duck
I remember this and the one where if you hit mgb and any instant AA then ducked you could chain cast. (I used it to send swarms of cleric hammers at primals/chaliak) but it worked with any class.

Not a huge thing, but I found out when they gave everyone a free heroic character. You can create the character, and sacrifice it all the way down, delete the character, and remake it for unlimited essence emeralds. I also found out that divine intervention can proc and save a sacrifice and still generate an essence emerald. Not a huge need for them, but was a nice little perk.
This lasted a long time, nerfed 2023 and heroics came out about 4 years back ? I have stacks of essence emeralds still. Had a heroic that I kept around for this sole purpose.

Just remembered another.
Stormhammer (premier server) required $39.99 to play on. Supposedly when your subscription ran out your character was automatically transferred to your home server. Well that did not actually work. People signed up for 3 months when it ran out they subscribed at normal rater and kept playing on Stormhammer. Now if you cancelled your subscription then yes the script worked correctly. Don't know if anyone ever got suspended/banner over it.

So, this one still works as far as I know. Casting Eye of Zom line of spells while standing facing a wall will cause the eyeball to spawn at a random location in a indoor zone.

Used this before I learned about ShowEQ/MQ to find contested raid targets.

Back in the day they had this quest to turn in Bone Chips to an NPC for a small amount of EXP for a lowbie... Well seemed to give an AA or so at lvl 65 If I recall correctly. I had my necro converting meat to bones and just maxing all my toons AA's. I then realized I would get caught and my toons would be rolled back, but sems they just fixed the amount of exp and left everyone alone.
The bone chips quest was just the most efficient way to use the exploit, but the underlying bug applied to *ALL* quests with xp rewards. I discovered this by grouping a a max level toon with some lowbie trying to get them their epic, and I noticed my main received like 50 aa's when the lowbie did a quest turn in. Maxed out my aa's with bone chips quests, never suspended.

Back when I first started playing, there was an exploit where if you dropped and picked up an item fast enough it would make a duplicate of it. A guild on my server duplicated rubicite armor for all their members in one day. The entire guild was banned. Many of their members were leveling up in Unrest, and one day they all had matching red armor on. I asked where it camyye from, and not only did I find out about the exploit, but I also found out there were other dungeons other than Unrest!! I'm not really sure which one shocked me more.

I remember using crimson potions to mail no drop items to twinks. I think you'd right click the potion while it was in the send box with the item you want to send on the cursor, it allowed the no drop item to slip into the send box.

back in solb there was a spot you could levitate over some lava and the lava beetles wouldn't come to you, they're just stand there and take dot dmg, was pretty great --- then they fixed that shit lol

Discussion - The earliest bug or exploit you remember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back