• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Funny - Tell me you’re and old gamer without saying you’re an old gamer. (1 Viewer)

Hitting on a chick wood elf just to find out it was a dude... I mean who knew guys played chick chars back then???
After I had been playing awhile, I realized I needed extra characters to mule the metric ton of junk items that this game throws at you. I made pair of female wood elves. I was just sitting at the bank in Kelethin minding my own business playing InventoryQuest. Within an hour of creating the characters, no less than 8 different guys approached them, completely unsolicited and started handing them twink gear and asking if they could power level me. I leaned into it pretty hard. I pretended that the two characters were actually played by IRL sisters who had just started the game and didn't know what to do. I think I got over 1k pp in less than a day, which back then (kunark era) was quite a lot, in addition to twink gear, weapons and armor. Hell, they were level 1 and better outfitted than my main. Then one dude got super creepy and I noped right the hell out.

Every time I see one of these threads I can't help but think about the time I spent trying to retrieve my corpse from Firiona Vie. Bound in Qeynos, Hours of running and riding on the boats only to die again from a guard on the dock in Firiona Vie. I must of lost two or three levels before I finally finished.

My girlfriend almost broke up with me after she lost her body in Faydark. I had to level a bard real quick so we could find her body, while she ran around fruitlessly naked.

She took her gaming a little too seriously.

Sure I had a TRS-80. Stayed up all night entering code that was printed on about 50 sheets of accordion paper from a dot-matrix printer. It was a program that made the screen change 9 different colors... /RAWR!

But one of my most memorable moments gaming was taking a polaroid picture of my parents TV screen and mailing it into Activision. Proof of beating the 20,000 point high score on Pitfall and to collecting my free t-shirt. Can't remember getting the shirt... old brother probably stole it.

--Taz

Tandy 1000
View attachment 37236

Playing Hockey with my buddy sitting next to me :)
That was my first pic too. Tandy 1000HX with personal deskmate OS run off 3.5s...i can't remember if I could save anything because the disks stayed in while in use. Reminds me: disks were still spelled with a k not a c. We had subscription to PersonalComputing (or was it Home&BusinessComputing?)magazine so I could type in the DOS games. I was 8 and didn't learn to type til 8 years later, so all hunt'n'peck. Took several tries typing in the whole thing from scratch, getting "invalid syntax" errors from some typo somewhere in thousands of lines of code before I got it right and my first game finally worked... Santa's Landing! Lol.

First CD player in the house was the cdrom drive we got separately for our second computer in the 90s, a BSR386SX. You had to put the disc in a cartridge then the cartridge in the drive. First PC game I didn't type in was on that: Marble Madness, after playing it at my friend's house. We were all very much THE school nerds, but was a decent size group. Everyone else had consoles and did sports, we had computers and were in band.

Still have the Tandy, and the receipt for the 386 but somewhere along the line that one disappeared. They were in my dad's house when he passed nearly 20yrs ago now along with 7"new" computers, 1 even running windows3.1 lol. He was a little paranoid about big brother I guess because none of them were ever connected to the internet, but they were all set up and plugged in. What did a 70yrold anti-internet guy need with 7 computers at once???

Was sad to learn that the progress I made in the tutorial for EQ didn't copy over to my first character.

Had a standard Compaq PC back in 99 along with 56k dial up, each time I zone it would take me around 12 minutes real time to get in. Had to always warn the group prior to zoning.

Good days.
Zoning into a area with a boat was always sketchy. Half the time it would take too long and you would be left swimming in the water.

I was in high school when we first was able to use a computer with windows 1.0 a few years after it was released

After I had been playing awhile, I realized I needed extra characters to mule the metric ton of junk items that this game throws at you. I made pair of female wood elves. I was just sitting at the bank in Kelethin minding my own business playing InventoryQuest. Within an hour of creating the characters, no less than 8 different guys approached them, completely unsolicited and started handing them twink gear and asking if they could power level me. I leaned into it pretty hard. I pretended that the two characters were actually played by IRL sisters who had just started the game and didn't know what to do. I think I got over 1k pp in less than a day, which back then (kunark era) was quite a lot, in addition to twink gear, weapons and armor. Hell, they were level 1 and better outfitted than my main. Then one dude got super creepy and I noped right the hell out.
Hmm...every EQ'er's dream...a threesome with hot wood elves

I was able to play EQ on my battery-powered laptop using a phone line dial-up connection during a power outage caused by a hurricane. Ironically, we were raiding Bastion of Thunder for the first time. Getting disconnected when someone elsewhere in the house picked up a phone meant about 5 minutes to reconnect, just in time to get in for the death of Karana.

Funny - Tell me you’re and old gamer without saying you’re an old gamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back