• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - OCTOBER 21, 2019 - A FIRST LOOK AT TOV BETA! https://eqresource.com (1 Viewer)

RedCents
378¢
OCTOBER 21, 2019 - A FIRST LOOK AT TOV BETA!
Beta has been open by invite only for a few days now, and we've been busy exploring and begining the early stages of piecing together our Torment of Velious guides! We've had people asking us what the ToV Beta is like, so we decided to put together a little preview of what we've discovered thus far! Please note: It is currently very early Beta, so anything we show in this guide is subject to change at any time!

The Zones:

In ToV Beta there is currently 7 new zones. They are all re-imagined versions of previous Velious zones, with updated graphics and some really cool new ice! There are new NPC models as well.

The zones that are currently accessible on Beta are:
The Eastern Wastes
The Tower of Frozen Shadow
Ry'Gorr Mines
Crystal Caverns
The Great Divide
Velketor's Labyrinth
Kael Drakkel

Here are some screen shots we gathered while lightly exploring. You can click on any of them to see a full sized version!

The Armor and Gear

ToV gear itemization is very similar to TBL, in that there are 3 tiers of Group gear and 2 tiers of Raid gear. Like TBL, the final tier of each Group and Raid is "tradeskill" gear, requiring a dropped piece and a tradeskill piece to combine for the final item. The difference this time, however, is that each player is limited to only 3 items from the Raid tradeskill tier. Each player is allowed their choice of 1 Armor (visible) piece, 1 non visible, and 1 Weapon or Shield piece. Note that this restriction is being fiercely debated and may change before ToV releases.

If you have an EQResource Premium Membership you can view all of the ToV gear at the following pages:
ToV Group Armor
ToV Group Gear
ToV Raid Armor
ToV Raid Gear
Type 7/8 Augs
Type 5 Augs

Here's a preview of a few of the weapon graphics. These images are from the Raid and Group Tradeskill tier. Click on any image to see a bigger version:

The New Features

The first new feature of ToV is the Hero's Forge Keyring. Like the various keyrings before it, it allows you to place a specific type of item (in this case Hero's Forge ornaments) in they keyring, to save on bag space. Unlike the other keyrings, you have to remove your HF items in order to use them (tho it is very early Beta, there may be plans to change this).

The second feature is titled "Overseer". This feature will likely not make it into the expansion release, as it's taking DBG a while to get it finished. We don't know much about this feature yet, but we know how to access it in game (tho it's currently not accessible - clicking the button does nothing), and we can view the source code for the UI piece that goes along with it.

PLEASE NOTE: All of the following is pure speculation, based on strings found while data mining and looking at the source code for the UI element for the Overseer feature. Please do not take any of the following information to heart!

The Overseer feature seems to be similar to the Follower Missions in World of Warcraft, for those who are familiar with that.
Based on the information I've gathered, it appears players will have access to "Minions" which they can send on Overseer missions. If it works like WoW's Follower Missions, this is sort of like an idle game inside of EQ. Players can send their Minions on a mission, then return x number of hours later to see if their Minion succeeded or not on their mission. Players may be rewarded with some type of points, currency, items, faction or other. Again, this is all speculation based on information found while data mining!

Maybe its the dwarf...but the weapons graphics...ugh! :)
I've always thought the updated dwarf model was the worst, I hate the way it looks. The weapons are ok, I really like that shield though. I wonder if it'll cover up as much on an ogre as it does on the dwarf. That would be sick!

The Overseer feature seems to be similar to the Follower Missions in World of Warcraft, for those who are familiar with that. Based on the information I've gathered, it appears players will have access to "Minions" which they can send on Overseer missions. If it works like WoW's Follower Missions, this is sort of like an idle game inside of EQ. Players can send their Minions on a mission, then return x number of hours later to see if their Minion succeeded or not on their mission. Players may be rewarded with some type of points, currency, items, faction or other.

This sounds interesting.

Torment of Velious prices

Standard: $34.99

Collector's Edition: $89.99

Premium Edition: $139.99

Family&Friends: $249.99

We have added a new expansion bundle option you’ll see next week that is geared toward Family and Friends. In addition to getting all the items included with the Standard, Collector’s, and Premium editions, it also includes:
  • TRADABLE Standard Torment of Velious Expansion
  • TRADABLE versions of the Collector’s and Premium Edition mounts
  • TRADABLE heroic character boost
  • Gnomish Legendary Bundle which will grant you:
    • Clockwork rhino mount
    • Gnomework illusion
    • And your choice of all three of the following:
      • A full suit of gnomish appearance gear
      • A gnomish heritage teleporter
      • A gnomish heritage familiar
    • 40-slot bag
    • 2 shared 50% experience potions.

Last edited:
Hmm, get all of my main 6 box crew the standard edition, or spend MORE money and give 2 boxes the expansion plus loads of useless shit I don't care about?

And let's face it, EQ players don't have friends, and their family have divorced them. When we say "friends & family" we actually mean "make it cheaper for my box army".

Ended up buying TBL premium for my main to get the portal. Was $49ish. Actually only have 3 accounts that have TBL. When that released, I played for a couple more months, zoned into TBL 2 times, logged out and and haven't logged back in till 2 or 3 days ago. I still haven't even upgraded most of my toons gear to RoS. Will get my core group standard ToV and pretty much just go through RoS then TBL mostly. Get my main the premium after. Have lots of family, lotta presents to buy for Christmas.

I’ve been saving a $100.00 and a $50.00 gift card to use for six expansions. No desire to go beyond that for the time being.

I’ve been saving a $100.00 and a $50.00 gift card to use for six expansions. No desire to go beyond that for the time being.
6 * $31(appox after subscriber discount) = $186
You need to cut a few hamburgers !

Wish we could see the number for each xpac tier sold.

6 * $31(appox after subscriber discount) = $186
You need to cut a few hamburgers !

Wish we could see the number for each xpac tier sold.

So.... turns out the $100 gift card was actually a $200 gift card...

bazinga.

What do you get for pre-ordering? Anything?
The honor of going into beta server and doing broken quests which you need to complete to earn beta tokens which will in turn for an unspecified amount of token give you "something useless". EoK yeti illussion / RoS was cactus hat (need hero forge) / TBL Royal Djinn Headwear (need hero forge)

PS: killquest type tasks does not count.
PPS: the reward will be granted after months of prodding by players

Last edited:
Any further feedback on beta? Any unfriendly boxing mechanics. Still on the edge of ordering the expansion.

You can assume the missions will get involved, but so far they haven’t been uber insane. More importantly, there are nice quality of life upgrades coming and 5 more levels.

- Expansion has a lot of UNDEAD.....a lot.
- Trash mobs hit for high 50k (no def AA's released yet, tested with warrior boosted to level 115).
- Traveling is kinda easy, mobs scattared.
- A lot of open area's since most zones are outdoor.

will update soon.

Quick question about beta over here on EQ1 - On EQ2 the programs we use are never updated for beta. Generally in beta you have devs running around everywhere, secretly running around watching you fight and all, but I saw that over here it seems updates go out for the beta server. Is that just for somebody to run little helper things or do people here actually take multiple characters over to beta and use them like they would when the expansion is live? Eg things like KA are used on beta?

Quick question about beta over here on EQ1 - On EQ2 the programs we use are never updated for beta. Generally in beta you have devs running around everywhere, secretly running around watching you fight and all, but I saw that over here it seems updates go out for the beta server. Is that just for somebody to run little helper things or do people here actually take multiple characters over to beta and use them like they would when the expansion is live? Eg things like KA are used on beta?
I would use it on a full group to run quests and missions. I WOULD NOT afk camp some named mob. I would turn it on and off as I needed it. I highly would recommend being at the keyboard, with nuclear option hotkeyed, a big ass window from top to bottom with /say echo a different color than say and be ready to engage in conversation with people.

Anyone confirm if purchasing the pre-order gives you TBL *now* ? I have an FTP account I wanna PL up to 110 before release.

**EDIT** Confirmed; it does.

Last edited:
So when's test going to get TBL for all? When the new xpac gets released?
if test is lucky they will get RoS (2 xpacs behind), but they haven't said if it will be at launch or not yet --- good news tho 110 is with RoS, so F2P will be able to do 110 if/when they do update what f2p xpac

if test is lucky they will get RoS (2 xpacs behind), but they haven't said if it will be at launch or not yet --- good news tho 110 is with RoS, so F2P will be able to do 110 if/when they do update what f2p xpac

Oh, did they stop doing the 1-year behind expansion thing? Haven't been able to find a post on Test since November 2017 on the xpac situation.

Oh, did they stop doing the 1-year behind expansion thing? Haven't been able to find a post on Test since November 2017 on the xpac situation.

Yes, they seemed to stop this with TBL. There was a lengthy time of holding our breath and daily questions regarding ROS going free for test, and it never happened. IIRC, a dev finally made an official statement that test would start to follow the 2 exp back model for auto grant and free expansions.

News - OCTOBER 21, 2019 - A FIRST LOOK AT TOV BETA! https://eqresource.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back