• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - New Servers Announced (1 Viewer)

Agree dreamflux, how is this even exciting.... you’d think “casual” would mean we can actually enjoy an expansion for 6 months without trying to gear up as fast as possible and keep up. True box is so garbage it’s a freaking joke.... why not make a firiona vie ruleset non true box, with extended releases... if they wanna make it like the old days, let us wait a while and enjoy the expansion before releasing another, I almost puked.

Really pissed we didn't get a multibox TLP server.

People on the official forums were begging for one as well. Perhaps next time we'll be more active in the campaign for multibox tlp.

What can we do to press the issue with daybreak?

Last edited:
Seriously ... I have been boxing on TLP with 4 machines here - it is just tedious. So I am out of that because I also don't want to run through half of Norrath for a group just to find out that the moment I arrive half the group decided to go for a break.

Selos had some appeal to me if it allowed boxing - but at the current setting: nope.
If they had a longer unlock-schedule I might consider it even it being truebox.

I’m surprised people still consider these fun. How many servers do you need to be a part of from the start only to have populations slowly dip before everyone runs to the next new server until you get tired of it?

I don't know how to impress upon them the need for a multi box TLP server. Based on the pattern it seems they won't do one again. Perhaps there is so little capital left at dbg that a failed TLP launch can ruin them. Mangler of course suggests otherwise.

Perhaps they can take the vulak server, wipe it clean add AOC and reset it to classic.

Its all about little money grabs, kind of like how contractors use the "extras" to offset an underbid job.

If they were smart they would implement another "pay for play" like Stormhammer was supposed to be, but implement never seen loot, end game stuff, be allowed to transfer off and have it be a live server with no rule sets.

I have no desire to go back personally to group with people in early expansions and do it all over again, but I guess some people do. No TLP's for me, I feel they take away from live server populations.

Definately am against true box server for obvious reasons. Thats like being forced (for me anyway) to only type on my keyboard with one hand!

Hahahahaa haha. Hahahahaha. Dude. Hardcore is simply less exp rate, slightly, and lose more experience on death? What a fucking letdown. And selos is a fucking joke.

I can’t believe how stupid these asshats are. Oh wait, then I remember EQNext and yeah, I can believe it.

Yeah they shouldnt have driven out David Georgeson- he was the visionary that kept the franchise on its path.

I think we should get mq ok selos at least.... even if it is a true box. I understand them having some “mq-free” servers, but every server that comes out is now hands off? That really sucks. Plz consider this @eqmule

I think we should get mq ok selos at least.... even if it is a true box. I understand them having some “mq-free” servers, but every server that comes out is now hands off? That really sucks. Plz consider this @eqmule

@eqmule isn't going to just shit on DBG and allow MQ on one of their truebox servers. Unless you tagged him because you think he'll go back to DBG and ask them to create a progression server that isn't true box...... which is something you could do via the actual Everquest Forums.

Progression servers suck dick anyway... who wants to go back to wearing gear with +4 charisma and 1 AC? That sounds fucking terrible.

Thanks for your valued opinion.

And I realize that he isn’t going to do something like you say, but live servers are lame and I have zero interest in playing them. And to be honest, if they didn’t have the TLp servers, I would doubt the game would even still exist. I fully support having servers with no MQ at all - even tho people always find ways to cheat and hack. But every single new server going forward just seems like too much

Thanks for your valued opinion.

And I realize that he isn’t going to do something like you say, but live servers are lame and I have zero interest in playing them. And to be honest, if they didn’t have the TLp servers, I would doubt the game would even still exist. I fully support having servers with no MQ at all - even tho people always find ways to cheat and hack. But every single new server going forward just seems like too much

I appreciate your appreciation of my opinion :)

But seriously, I know the TLPs are a money draw, which is why there’s a new one every six months or so. How long until people get tired of them, too? They need to do more purposefully short term thing so like Quarm, in my lofty opinion. Rerolling Phinny over and over with slightly different exp rates is gonna burn out even the most hard core TLPers, especially when they realize they could have just been playing p99 for free this whole time.

The problem is that Quarm and all the other servers will also be true box, which is my main gripe- heck, I bet if they do a new live server they would make it true box aka screw Mq

As others have stated, the new tlp servers are money grabs and nothing more in my opinion. After coming back to this game so many years later and roaming the same zones I find them barren and that's to be expected. However, when EQ first came out it was visionary for its time and drew in massive amounts of people. I don't see that massive population anymore yet, they are essentially spoon feeding the same game from 1999 with a few tweaks in the form of tlps. If that original state of the game wasn't enough and competition has developed to lure away the crowds, why keep repeating the same old? Get creative with the game.

The main reason other games are far more successful than EQ these days is because they keep developing for the modern age with newer technology. It's only natural that a game that is nearly 2 decades old lose a majority of its player base. Just imagine, 20 years, that's a long time for the people to move on, get married, have children, get jobs, etc etc. When I had heard about EQNext, it felt exciting and I was going to try it out. Since I didn't play EQ, the wait for it didn't matter it'd arrive when it did. Next would have drawn in the old crowds that have left EQ, would have pushed many from here to go there. They would have retained their niche player base.

Recycling tlps is going to thin the population down to the games death. I don't know how much fun they actually are for people but it feels like a rat race with an absurd amount of content to overcome every few months to stay ahead of the game whereas with live servers, it's all there. Play at your own pace. You could play at your own pace in tlps as well I suppose but it feels like you are being left behind. With live you know where you are at in relation to where the game is currently holding.

P99 and live TLPs are completely different games. They do not compare. Also, games that run seasons destroy your logic on people burning out on starting over again repeatedly.

P99 and live TLPs are completely different games. They do not compare. Also, games that run seasons destroy your logic on people burning out on starting over again repeatedly.

Except there’s a purpose to a seasonal game server besides rerolling for rerolling’s sake. The current trend will eventually dilute populations to nothingness, which will, in fact, kill the game. I see nothing to suggest DBG cares to address this eventuality, which means they’re just squeezing out some final revenue.

TLPs are very fun. If you don't like them you don't have to play on them. Myself and many people like me returned to the game specifically because of TLP servers. If they are pulling too many people from the live servers then maybe a new set of server mergers is in order.

Technically speaking every subscription is keeping this game afloat. Many of those subscriptions are people who really like the old content and want to play it again and again for whatever reason. Some of us box entire raids now and are interested in seeing how far we can progress on a new server. For raid boxers things get harder and harder as the expansions roll out and more scripted fights and mechanics are introduced.

Without a doubt TLP servers are successful. You know how you know? They keep making them. Saying it's a money grab is just silly. The game is around to generate money. Whatever method works best is the one they are going to choose.

Some people like to play checkers, some chess!

Whatever keeps the game afloat financially is a good thing!

wow, its like you guys just keep saying the same thing over and over. I don't care about true boxing, as much as playing with MQ. that's the reason all of you guys are on this website right now.

and yes I totally agree - give them their servers with out MQ, that's what they have done for the past 3 or 4 TLP servers, my point is that they are going to do that with EVERY server going forward. why not have 1 of each, believe it or not - without boxers, they would have a LOT less revenue coming in - which is probably on the bottom of the bracket anyways.

and i'll say it again, live servers have zero interest to me - and playing ftp toon is super lame. and @Sum1 the vocal majority usually is the vast minority. Frenchie above me is exactly right - most people won't post about this stuff on the normal servers because we don't need to bring any more attention than it already has, but guess what - we are on a MQ CHEATING website right now!!!

guess what - we are on a MQ CHEATING website right now!!!

That’s not how @eqmule and @Redbot intended on keeping it, right? The whole effort to communicate with DBG and come to an agreement/arrangement was about rebranding MQ2... about making the MQ2/DBG relationship less adversarial.

I’ll slowly step away now (although I reserve the right to dive back in!).

I mean, I agree with you for like 95%. But originally the intent was a couple servers, not all servers forever going forward. But then again maybe that was the deal

Bungler and Failus...

I am very disappointed, it would make sense to release one true box and one multi box server both with exact same rule sets and let each crowd get their own server. We have about 2k mq2users (that I know of, it’s likely more) and I strongly feel we are being treated unfairly now, we have been “good”, quiet, kept our heads down and patiently waited for a multi box tlp for years, while dbg has only catered to the true box crowd.

Thanks for your reply @eqmule. that is exactly my thought too - they are taking advantage of the "truce". I am still hanging onto a small thread of hope they will revise one to be boxable.

Yep. Thanks mule. At least someone cares about us. Even if we do pay you from time to time. Oh.... Wait we pay dbg every month. Multiple times.

Last edited:
The thing about "truebox" is (for me at least): I wouldn't mind if they just said "no boxing with 3rd party" and let you run several clients on the same machine.
This would - in my opinion - get some folks more on the server (or at least "some additional accounts") while not opening the "those who use 3rd party tools are the evil"-box.

I boxed that way years ago and I could still do it :-)
But banning flat out all kind of boxing but the one involving a machine for every account is a bad move and lost revenue.

I think they were trying to stop the abusers with a technical solution instead of a policing solution. Truebox was probably more a Public Relations counter to the armies of bots people complained about on Ragefire (which by the time the first Truebox had come out had earned the nickname Magefire). Regardless of the way that people were running those bots, it was bad PR and gave a perception that DBG couldn't control cheaters on their servers.

Truebox was a PR salvo of "limit without policing." It worked to shift the view that DBG cared about stopping abusers, but the people who are going to abuse MQ2 to the detriment of other players are going to use whatever edge they can get, so they did and they moved on to other methods. This is where things like AoCs (implemented at the same time as Truebox) served to make abusers less visible.

If you go back and look at posts from each Truebox server, you'll see that people abused cheat methods to the detriment of other players on whatever they could -- Efreeti, Runnyeye, VP Keys, Howling Stones Keys, Storms Minis, etc. DBG solved many of those problems by changing those specific mechanics. While AoCs (and of course, their predecessor, picks) served to reduce some of that -- abusers abuse.

Unfortunately for MQ2ers, it doesn't matter WHAT software someone is using (or if they're using a hardware solution or poop socking it with 50 computers) the PERCEPTION from players unfamiliar with MQ2 when they get trained/forced out of their camp/KS'd by a multiboxer is that it was someone using MQ2. You can corroborate this by looking how many times people are so sure that MQ2 is being used on Truebox even though we know mule doesn't support that. The perception from the impacted players unfamiliar with MQ2 is when someone cheats to their detriment -- it's MQ2. (Sometimes even when it's not cheating, just a good boxer). Again, unfortunate for MQ2 users.

So I suspect the litany of changes are cumulative and the idea of Truebox continues to combat the idea that DBG just doesn't care about cheaters. There are players that stance matters to and their voicing of the opinion that EQ is overrun by bots has a heavy impact in the PR realm. When really they're just talking about people who use third party software to the point of abuse. Which, I think the majority here don't want to abuse to the detriment other players. Still, perception is perception.

I too had hoped they would implement a box server with AoCs because I want to use MQ2 in a place where I won't impact other players. I don't want to build a box army to fight the people who lock down spawns using third party software (even though I am quite capable). But I suspect they're worried a bit about the PR backlash from people who will see a non Truebox server as an OK on abuse versus just a place for boxers. Hopefully DBG will realize that they could try anyway and see what happens. That they released two servers at the same time had me hopeful.

At any rate, my primary want is AoCs on a MQ2 allowed server. Everything else is secondary. I play either way and eventually that sorts itself out as AoC servers catch up to live. Still, I wanted it now~

heavily disappointed the truebox code will remain. Such bullshit, its not like im not going to box, but its just more cumbersome, which does nothing. The ones who are dedicated to the large mage armies will still exist either way

heavily disappointed the truebox code will remain. Such bullshit, its not like im not going to box, but its just more cumbersome, which does nothing. The ones who are dedicated to the large mage armies will still exist either way

Was that part of whatever big announcement was supposed to be made today?

News - New Servers Announced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back