• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - New and looking to figure this out (1 Viewer)

Ghosteagle153

RedCents
345¢
Returned to the game about a month ago. Only been away for 15 years or so (give or take a couple years). I've been 2 boxing (Paladin / Bard), and wanted to toss in a healer (shaman). I tried.. but tanking and healing was quite difficult. Luckily the guild has a couple people who use the program and suggested that I look it up and give it a try.

I've watched a couple video's and it looks like something that is doable, and quite fun (making group content possible). Hoping I can get a "trial" run to see how the program works out. I'm on a very fixed income setting (I'm disabled and can't work so money is tight), so I can't drop a lot into my EQ addiction like I want too lol.

There is going to be a lot to figuring out, and a lot to learn in setting up the character files (kiss assist I think...), but it seems very worth it. Plus it looks like a strong community of people who are willing to help. Looking quite forward to seeing this program in action.

welcome to redguides Ghost!

it is pretty easy to earn redcents to have a lvl 2 sub - check out the info below

:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

Returned to the game about a month ago. Only been away for 15 years or so (give or take a couple years). I've been 2 boxing (Paladin / Bard), and wanted to toss in a healer (shaman). I tried.. but tanking and healing was quite difficult. Luckily the guild has a couple people who use the program and suggested that I look it up and give it a try.

I've watched a couple video's and it looks like something that is doable, and quite fun (making group content possible). Hoping I can get a "trial" run to see how the program works out. I'm on a very fixed income setting (I'm disabled and can't work so money is tight), so I can't drop a lot into my EQ addiction like I want too lol.

There is going to be a lot to figuring out, and a lot to learn in setting up the character files (kiss assist I think...), but it seems very worth it. Plus it looks like a strong community of people who are willing to help. Looking quite forward to seeing this program in action.

@Ghosteagle153 If you want to play around with some of the base functionality, you can grab the OpenVanilla source and use a free/public copy of Microsoft Visual Studio Community to compile it. Like you, I came back to EQ after an 18, closer to 19 year layoff. Also like you, I was curious about VeryVanilla, so I grabbed the free OpenVanilla from the GitLab repository, and with the help of @Sic and @Knightly was able to get it to compile and run. If nothing else, the ease of navigation quality of life functionality sold me on the VV idea.

Regarding a "trial", there is none that I know of, but if you post on the forums with constructive questions or tips and hints, folks might react positively with Red Cents.

Be well. Happy gaming.

Welcome! There are ton of things you can do with your Everquest account even while F2P and you don't have to subscribe every month over there - you can go one month on then one month off or whatever will help your money situation

Now over here, its easy to keep up a monthly sub cause it only takes 50 "red cents" to subscribe each month

Make sure you read that link posted above that explains it in better detail - but the highlights are:

If someone's post is helpful to you, then you can give them a red cent and you earn a couple too - this is limited daily

If your post is funny or helpful and others like it then they give you red cents - 10 RC - not limited

Thank you for the information!

I haven't tried a program like this before, and that makes sense! It's daunting and a little overwhelming to be honest - I could try the open source version but it seems the work has been put in here and like you said "the ease of navigation quality of life functionality sold me on the VV idea"

Luckily it's not expensive at all here on red guides and I think the community alone is worth it - there are people who actually respond and help. That's a great thing, and honestly I would support the site just because of that.

Guess it's time to start learning!

Welcome back Ghost! I too was away for quite a long time and learned about RG through server friends and it has been an amazing experience! @Sic and the RG crew are amazing and this entire community is incredibly helpful. I started with 2 toons and not box 6 because of the help and knowledge from this community. It brings a whole new level of enjoyment to the game, so dive in! Definitely take some time and watch the videos in Sic's links. Super helpful stuff!!!!

Ghost, VV turns EQ into a squad-based MMO that's way more fun than modern EQ!

Once you're set up, it's like (back in the day), getting into a group, but no worries about your ENC going afk2poop for 30 minutes, the tank having to leave 10 minutes after the ENC gets back and the group falling apart after less than an hour of actual XPing. Of course, you'll mostly just have yourself to talk to. That could be good or bad.

Welcome Ghosteagle153!

There are many resources and knowledgeable members in the community. Don't be afraid to ask questions or mention what you find interesting.

And you can tailor the VV experience to the level of ease/convenience that suites your desired playstyle.

EQ74

Lol Sivispacem. I guess I could tap into those other personalities.... but I would rather not. They can stay in my subconscious.

On a rather similar note... Can you group with others. I do a lot of grouping with guildmates and have been leveling / aa'in that way. I really don't want to miss out on talking with them and doing group content, but healing has been something we lack. I would like to keep grouping but have the shaman setup as a healer (kinda like a mercenary but an actual character - and way better). Don't want to trade functionality for being alone....

I guess the question is this - can you group with other people still?

Lol Sivispacem. I guess I could tap into those other personalities.... but I would rather not. They can stay in my subconscious.

On a rather similar note... Can you group with others. I do a lot of grouping with guildmates and have been leveling / aa'in that way. I really don't want to miss out on talking with them and doing group content, but healing has been something we lack. I would like to keep grouping but have the shaman setup as a healer (kinda like a mercenary but an actual character - and way better). Don't want to trade functionality for being alone....

Yes, but limit it to people you trust. I've been playing (again) since 2018 and haven't had any suspensions or bans, which isn't a guarantee these days as DPG has recently changed its business strategy to banning its remaining player base; don't play AFK at the very least. PLed MANY guildies over that period (mostly back during ROS). Many knew I was MQing even if I didn't talk about it and just said, "hey, I won't be talking much because I'm controlling all these characters." Also had some closer friends I'd bring into the group regularly. Several of them eventually found there way here and filled out their own groups.

The macros and plugins that semi-automate your characters' play will let you chose who is driving the group. Your buddy could play a tank that your group assists/heals or you could run a full group yourself. You may be tempted to start with 3, but guarantee you'll end running 6. It's not too bad to drop one of your characters out of group (or just logged) to let a friend keep you company and rake in the sweet AAs.

Last edited:

I just gave you the last 10 red cent you need to buy a level 2 subscription. You can get that in the red cent shop.

Dang it! Once again someone (Durango) beat me to it and gave you a full month. Thats like a full monty but with an "H":)

I'm grateful, thank you!

Now it's serious learning time. Been watching the video's and copying down commands etc... It's alot - but doable. Looks like it is going to be fun!

What a great community, and with people that actually help.

Now time to learn!

IRL - New and looking to figure this out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back