• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Necromancer question (1 Viewer)

RedCents
162¢
I have a level 107 necro and I know they are dps animal’s obviously. Looking to throw the char in my group to level and gear up. What do people typically use as an assist to get dps out of them. Haven’t found a good ini really... looking for suggestions.

I have a level 107 necro and I know they are dps animal’s obviously. Looking to throw the char in my group to level and gear up. What do people typically use as an assist to get dps out of them. Haven’t found a good ini really... looking for suggestions.
necros are in a tough spot because current content fights usually last too short for necros to get a whole lot of value

Sic very true I understand they are a true solo class at heart. Guess I will have to do it the way I intended and just sit him in group
i mained a necro for a long time - I would just offer to be the puller (when with real deal people), and hit some quickies and then pulled more.

once i started getting better with mq2, and was told about how good zerker dmg is - it kind of went from there.

some cruel irony - I never wanted to play an mmo to be by myself - and would try and find groups as a necro for a very long time.

now mostly play eq by myself anyhow.

enjoying your group is more important than min/maxing - so if you enjoy your necro (cause necros are cool af) then rock it! toss your swifties, swarm, maybe manatap and impel

What kind of dps can a silver necro put out? With the understanding that everything is dying in 25 sec?

@Sic I am curious, I am not seeing the dps that I think you are seeing.
Are your berzerkers on a Subscription?
For people that have berzerkers on Silver / Max AAed, what is your dps?

My dex is at 1691/1361 459 for my best berzerker, he is mostly on ToV T1 Gear + some CoV T1 gear.
What is the easiest way to get that up while not having a subscription?

@Sic I am curious, I am not seeing the dps that I think you are seeing.
Are your berzerkers on a Subscription?
For people that have berzerkers on Silver / Max AAed, what is your dps?

My dex is at 1691/1361 459 for my best berzerker, he is mostly on ToV T1 Gear + some CoV T1 gear.
What is the easiest way to get that up while not having a subscription?
I do have a few silver zerkers - one of the big things about f2p zerk/rog vs say mage or wiz - is they only need to stay between like 5 and 20 endurance and can pretty much go forever without downtime.

regular dex isn't really worth talking about as it comes with your gear - that 459 hdex is going to significantly hinder your performance - but pretty tough to get more than the type 5 32 hdex augs from TBM - and whatever other type 7s that give you hdex as well since you aren't prestige - you should definitely ensure you have your zerker epic and run a bard with their epic if you want the most out of your zerk --- zerkers are "takers" you need to "give them" stuff to get them to perform

@Sic I don't want to get the AP on them, but it seems like that may be the only feasible option to get them a lot higher :(

Sorry to hijak your necro thread and talk about Berzerkers :D

I will try to get those epics, I have a bard but no epic on him.

necros will always be my favorite everquest class - they are just so awesome.

I don't know what the answer is to make them viable in the group game, the swifties was a good idea, but don't bring the same kinda punch :(

before they made all the swarm pet lines on the same timer - you could load them all up and solo any group nameds and stuff pretty easily - was wild

I dunno, I'm not really seeing low dps in groups from decent Necro's since the dot revamp, I regularly group with a real player Necro who is playing manually - he's consistently averaging the same or sometimes higher than my Zerker.

No idea what he does, apart from I know he doesn't use swifts, even if they are short fights, and uses every trick available to get mana back (and succeeds) .... must be some way of emulating in an ini?

This is a Tier 2 CoV parse over about 2hrs of slaughter - average fight 30secs
1615083404184.png

I dunno, I'm not really seeing low dps in groups from decent Necro's since the dot revamp, I regularly group with a real player Necro who is playing manually - he's consistently averaging the same or sometimes higher than my Zerker.

No idea what he does, apart from I know he doesn't use swifts, even if they are short fights, and uses every trick available to get mana back (and succeeds) .... must be some way of emulating in an ini?

View attachment 28785

I don't get Zerker level damage on my group geared, max AA nec, but since the dot revamp, I get about 338K DPS (looking at a 37 minute parse in EW) on fights averaging 24 seconds, sustained. Never, never, never use Swifts, use your burns all the time, have Blightbringer's Robe.

If I'm not manually playing my necro, using KA on the current INI file I use (not posted, still testing it), my DPS drops down to around 299K on fast fights. As I said, not zerker level dps, but not sucking either. And you have to take into account that if your group has casters, the nec synergy is sweet.

Right now, for out of the box play, I'd recommend the RGMercs version. It does some things that make me cringe, but it's decent. If nothing else, it'll give you a bassline to compare whatever KA Ini you go with and it's going to work out of the box for your 107 not max AA toon.

View attachment 28785
A proper melee group doesn’t take 30 seconds to kill something. Sure a necro can compete with the zerk has minimal synergy and the necro has some.

I'm not convinced many groups (excluding raiders) are sustaining a lot more than 1.5mil group dps over a long period of time

30sec kills in cov temple of Veeshan is pretty darn quick

I'm not convinced many groups (excluding raiders) are sustaining a lot more than 1.5mil group dps over a long period of time

I’ll try to find some time to poke around in there. I was averaging 7 seconds per target in the caves while camping Feltinth the other day.

I’ll try to find some time to poke around in there. I was averaging 7 seconds per target in the caves while camping Feltinth the other day.

T1 is a big difference than T2 especially those caves. I have one group that is group gear only and when I was farming ores for them early in expansion I use to pull like 10-15 in big trains and burn them all down. On the flip side ToV or the draco mobs in DN they last a decent length even with high dps. Also necros really don't need 30 seconds anymore to put decent dps (especially with some of the doule dots + dot changes). I haven't been playing my necros lately but I'll get one at some point and parse them.

I do have a few silver zerkers - one of the big things about f2p zerk/rog vs say mage or wiz - is they only need to stay between like 5 and 20 endurance and can pretty much go forever without downtime.

regular dex isn't really worth talking about as it comes with your gear - that 459 hdex is going to significantly hinder your performance - but pretty tough to get more than the type 5 32 hdex augs from TBM - and whatever other type 7s that give you hdex as well since you aren't prestige - you should definitely ensure you have your zerker epic and run a bard with their epic if you want the most out of your zerk --- zerkers are "takers" you need to "give them" stuff to get them to perform
i got full sets of type 5 augs on my ftp accounts from overseer currency. it does take a while tho hehe

EDIT: im a moron, i read your sentence wrong

If you're killing mobs in 7 seconds and run a melee heavy group (ala 3 zerks, bard, shaman, bst), a necro isn't a good fit. It's synergy is going to be nominal in this kind of group. You wouldn't give up any slot for the necro. But if your group kills in 20 to 30 seconds, then the necro can easily do excellent DPS sustained. If you have a caster heavy group, then the 30% damage bonus to nukes and dots can be kept up almost 100% of the time and it's a nice ADPS bump. Plus, hitting the mana tap (Mind Erosion) every 60 seconds will benefit all casters in the group, but especially mages and wizards. And of course on named, a high AA group geared necro should be putting out 1.2 to 1.4 million DPS when burning a mob like Zlandicar.

That's Tier 1 - they have half the hitpoints and can easily be swarm pulled and AE'd / Ripo'd to death

Try that in Tier 2, it won't go well

That's Tier 1 - they have half the hitpoints and can easily be swarm pulled and AE'd / Ripo'd to death

Try that in Tier 2, it won't go well
I pull 3-4 pretty regularly in T2 and just cleave with zerks, like I said I think it was about 20 seconds on average for T2 trash

when i run my necros. i typically load the hardest hitting fast duration dot and 3 nukes. the INI i have pet attack dot swarm nuk nuke nuke. stuff usually dies about that time, they parse out around about what my rog does. well below the zerkers. but its a fun setup. Paly, shm, bard, necro necro necro. stuff in CoV t1 lasts around 18 to 25secs. If im bored ill pull multiples and use their aoe orbs and their dps goes up

The swift dots dont profit from the aa's who add the equivalent of 6 seconds of damage per lvl. For my necro I used the swarm-pets and the 45 second dots, combined with a DPS-aa between any 2 casts to fill the gcd between 2 casts. I learned this from a necro main, who outparses my mages with ease at any fight longer than 20 seconds. At important fights like Zlandicar he pulls 1.2 to 1.5m DPS regularly.
My own necro just went 115 b4 the suspensions came along and I took a break. Just started to bring fun.
I used kissassist to get things done the way I liked it.

1615196717304.png

Cobalt Scar mission trash. whites and yellows at 115. 300mob sample. no burns. more hDex required on zerkers.

Last edited:
I only came here because ... necromancer IRL? After reading the thread, I realized that IRL might have been a mistake...

Druid as healer
I would definitely go with Druids like what Fohpo said. Druids have a lot of debuffs that increase necromancer's damage not to mention dots of their own as well as healing. The healing from the druid could be used to continuously feed yourself more mana on the necromancer or vice versa as well.

probably not the thread but a quick zerker question. My zerkers are full COV T3 with all there HDex augs so with trib on there HDex is between 2500 and 2600. Is it still worthwhile doing their epics?

Thanks in advance

probably not the thread but a quick zerker question. My zerkers are full COV T3 with all there HDex augs so with trib on there HDex is between 2500 and 2600. Is it still worthwhile doing their epics?

Thanks in advance
In group content, yes. In a raid environment, there’s only very small windows where you aren’t capped.

Warrior MA on a similar parse is pulling 770k+ DPS (running zero offensive discs). the riposte dmg like @ABWar suggests must be huge. SKs are beasts, 5 SK + 1 SHM maybe. Warrior group is around 1.9mil DPS average too.

The zerks in the above parse are at 2780ish hDex (without tribute) with epic 2.0s, and their crit rate is 85%.

Each mob is 53mil HP, at 2million DPS , each mob is a 25sec fight. Doubt a caster group with necros and optimal ADPS could improve on that.

Warrior MA on a similar parse is pulling 770k+ DPS (running zero offensive discs). the riposte dmg like @ABWar suggests must be huge. SKs are beasts, 5 SK + 1 SHM maybe. Warrior group is around 1.9mil DPS average too.

The zerks in the above parse are at 2780ish hDex (without tribute) with epic 2.0s, and their crit rate is 85%.

Each mob is 53mil HP, at 2million DPS , each mob is a 25sec fight. Doubt a caster group with necros and optimal ADPS could improve on that.
Yes but you dont get to ripost unless hit, so unless they are swapping agro only the tanking one would get the high dps from rip dmg

Would these be raid toons with that much hDex (without tribute)? if so, presumably raid weapons too?

Would these be raid toons with that much hDex (without tribute)? if so, presumably raid weapons too?

You can get close to that dex in group gear maybe higher with artisan aug. As for the dps i dont believe the no burns you're not sustaining near 580k on a zerker without using disc

I Run Necro, Zerker, Bard, SK, Cleric, Shaman and I'm getting basically the same results ABWar is seeing, my Necro and Zerker are almost totally on par with each other, and the winner is just determined by the HP of the mobs I'm fighting.

22 Million HP mobs in ToV and The Zerker is winning by about 10% more DPS - For me an Average fight lasts 25 Seconds
Over 500 fights in Eastern Wastes Zerker is at 393,000 DPS, Necro is at 363,000 DPS

40 Million HP Mobs in CoV and the Necro is winning by about 5% more DPS - For me an Average fight lasts 38 seconds
Over 1,000 fights in Western Wastes I've got the Necro at 394,000 DPS and Zerker at 372,000

Then for Named and Group missions and stuff the Necro consistently wins and by a fair bit.
Over my last 6 Zlandicars you've got Necro at 1,120,000 DPS and Zerker at 956,000

I also have always been a Necro Main, so during a lot of important fights I do manually control the Necro much more than any other.

In terms of just character, my Necro is totally Maxed AA and if Half Velium Threaded/Half Velium Empowered level stuff, the Zerker is about Full Velium Threaded equivalent, but with full HDex augs but he's only at 35k AA, so there's probably a bit of room for better gear and AA

I find though too the utility of the Necro is really important, FDing, Battle Rezing, and the fact the Pet can tank anything if my SK happens to die

What I'm a little surprised at in this thread and wondering if I'm doing something majorly wrong, is my SK is chilling around 180,000 DPS in these fights and I'm seeing above someone posting parses like 634,000 is that normal or what am I doing totally wrong there? Running MQ2Eskay for him

Last edited:
Question - Necromancer question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back