• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - My bard has a Very Slow mount (1 Viewer)

Faust

RedCents
822¢
Once you equip a very fast mount in EQ, every mount you get after that will go very fast. Even the "very slow" rope bridles you get from NPC stables will run as fast as your fastest mount. Which I get... I understand that was implemented as a quality of life "plus", but I'm starting to wish it wasn't like that.

All of my characters are set to melee with mobs in camp. Including any casters, healers or CC I might have.
If mana starts to get low on one of my characters in a group, I'll put them on a mount so it doesn't drop as quickly. On a very fast mount, characters will zip back and forth through mobs one side to the other during melee and while it may not necessarily drop melee dps, it looks odd - it looks automated and unnatural for anyone to be playing that way... I'm not good with it. I wish there was a way to slow them down, because a toon on a slow mount will stick to mobs instead of running through them.

My bard has a Very Slow mount which I will use at camp spots when pulls are quick and I'm mowing through lots of mobs, because my bard will go oom, and an oom bard cannot CC. My bard was created in the early 2000's and has never, ever been on a fast mount. On the slow one, she will approach a mob in camp to engage and stick to it, strafing when necessary, but not darting around all over the place. This is good. My bard is absolutely the most likely toon to eventually go oom.

There are other ways to handle this. Like having the puller/tank set to watch CC and heals and hold pulls to med when necessary. But to minimize downtime, I set my bard on a sluggish mount and everyone else can run around with selo's. I do wish I could do the same thing with my healers since by now, they've all equipped some of the fastest mounts in the game and I feel like being able to mount them would reduce downtime a bit.

Once you equip a very fast mount in EQ, every mount you get after that will go very fast. Even the "very slow" rope bridles you get from NPC stables will run as fast as your fastest mount. Which I get... I understand that was implemented as a quality of life "plus", but I'm starting to wish it wasn't like that.

All of my characters are set to melee with mobs in camp. Including any casters, healers or CC I might have.
If mana starts to get low on one of my characters in a group, I'll put them on a mount so it doesn't drop as quickly. On a very fast mount, characters will zip back and forth through mobs one side to the other during melee and while it may not necessarily drop melee dps, it looks odd - it looks automated and unnatural for anyone to be playing that way... I'm not good with it. I wish there was a way to slow them down, because a toon on a slow mount will stick to mobs instead of running through them.

My bard has a Very Slow mount which I will use at camp spots when pulls are quick and I'm mowing through lots of mobs, because my bard will go oom, and an oom bard cannot CC. My bard was created in the early 2000's and has never, ever been on a fast mount. On the slow one, she will approach a mob in camp to engage and stick to it, strafing when necessary, but not darting around all over the place. This is good. My bard is absolutely the most likely toon to eventually go oom.

There are other ways to handle this. Like having the puller/tank set to watch CC and heals and hold pulls to med when necessary. But to minimize downtime, I set my bard on a sluggish mount and everyone else can run around with selo's. I do wish I could do the same thing with my healers since by now, they've all equipped some of the fastest mounts in the game and I feel like being able to mount them would reduce downtime a bit.
just use the slow mount in the StatMount slot, or does that not fix it?

The mount needs some sort of stat buff to use that slot, but I'm not sure of any stat mounts that aren't of the "Very Fast" variety.

I am not sure what your question is?

You want your bard to have a slow mount and you say she already has a slow mount -

Or you want your casters to have slow mounts also like your bard?

You would have to take your mounts out of your key ring and inventory and put them in a house or somewhere so only the slow speed mount is usable. Otherwise the fast ones override it - its a blanket effect.

I built a stable for mine.

It's not really a question. But yeah. It would be nice if my casters weren't darting around mobs during engagement.

I think I know what he is asking ;

He wants the bard to regenerate mana without being glitchy on the mount.

I had the same problem

Best thing is , do not use the bard for pulling. Have the Bard on the mount and singing his full array of songs and let someone else pull. This way bard will never run Low on Mana. With the bard run speed song and stuff you will be fine and if you do a bad pull , have the bard setup to mez on incoming

If your concern is the bot-like appearance of the casters moving all over the place, one answer is to turn off melee. Not sure what class you are talking about, but the DPS from pure caster melee is pretty minimal, so if the dodging bothers you just turn it off.

Speaking of odd movements, Have you seen the odd behaviour of the Drakkin. When using MQ2NAV it looks like they are gliding around, with no running animation. I kind of assumed this was just client side, since I have never seen it on any other drakkin in the game that im not running. Anyway, I have only seen this with the Drakkin race characters for some reason.

Speaking of odd movements, Have you seen the odd behaviour of the Drakkin. When using MQ2NAV it looks like they are gliding around, with no running animation. I kind of assumed this was just client side, since I have never seen it on any other drakkin in the game that im not running. Anyway, I have only seen this with the Drakkin race characters for some reason.
i've never seen this with any of my drakkin's

lol i've never seen that either - are they doing the hands behind their back anime style run?

lol i've never seen that either - are they doing the hands behind their back anime style run?
Have you tried running like that irl? It doesn't work of course. I've tried it all probably. I was a sprinter in college and was pretty fast but that arms behind your back shit is just silly.

Have you tried running like that irl? It doesn't work of course. I've tried it all probably. I was a sprinter in college and was pretty fast but that arms behind your back shit is just silly.
lol, you tryin to get me outside running around like that nice try

what he is referring to is the mounts tendency to overshoot a mob in melee then over correct. it looks like the melee is on a bungie cord. i turn off melee for that purpose

Go find the foreign (french maybe?) film called Intacto. Its about luck and taking it from other people though tests/challenges. One scene they run, full speed, blindfolded through the woods with their arms behind their back. The last guy to faceplant into a tree wins....
Ok Back on topic. Like above. have you turned melee off and tried the walk yet? any progress?

i tried it, it worked. thats why i knew exactly what he was talking about. i witnessed it, if it takes place on the healer the horse prevents heals as well. which is how i learned to turn off melee or dont use a mount

There's no benefit to being on a mount if you're swinging.
I'm sure you're right. Anyone saying that I'm playing my group wrong if I'm bonking mobs with wands and censers is probably not too far off target. I'd probably be better off turning melee off for caster/healers and just having my tank rest the group when the bard is low on mana.
Those are very likely the best solutions. And probably what I'll be doing from here on out.

Even with the proc effects of caster weapons and even though they have a ratio, even though casters are equipped with multiple abilities for different types of melee, the output of caster melee is at the "participation trophy" level once you hit like level 25 or so. The possible exception being clerics on undead. Sadly, the first piece of raid loot I ever got was a Heirophant's Crook for my druid from Lord Nagafen. I was so excited to get raid loot, but I really had to weigh whether it was worth retiring my Paw of Opalla for a crappy 2hb weapon on a druid.

Anyway, if someone *does* decide to go the mounted melee route, a slow mount sticks to mobs better than a fast one.

In group content my 1 cleric and 3 shaman all melee.. on foot though.. and ive seen the cleric WRECK a undead (as you said). I agree with you and Knighly that melee'n INT casters in a group (caveat *static) is not worth in.

Dont mount on raids, so sometimes get down in the trenches on my hand jam wizard :dance:

Oh, don't get me wrong -- meleeing casters is totally worth it depending on your era. Once out of combat regen kicks in, the mana you get from medding in combat is paltry. Prior to that, you'd have to have a really good proc to beat medding in combat. But what I mean is -- when you turn attack on, any "medding" benefit from the mount goes away, so there's no benefit to being mounted while you're swinging your weapon. By all means, swing away, but you don't need to be mounted unless you're NOT swinging.

Yeah I often see this in videos too. SKs being mounted tanking mobs, casters and healers mounted meleeing while someone is chainpulling. Thinking that cant be right since you dont event get OutOfCombat regen while chainpulling and SKs tanking on mounts would even take more damage because they are sitting while fighting? Or could it be on TLP or something and the rules for OOC regen is different in the early game?

The rules on TLP aren’t different other than you don’t get Out of Combat Regen until TSS. But you also don’t count as sitting for the purposes of combat. You can think of mounts as letting you med while standing. That’s their primary benefit. Your agro is counted as if you were standing (no mobs wandering into camp and ping ponging on the sitting casters). But you are only medding while you don’t have autoattack on and while you are not moving.

Additionally, I believe you’re not engaged in combat while chain pulling until you have agro. So it’s possible for one character to be chain pulling and several characters to be in Out of Combat Regen while the fight is going on.

there is 1 reason to mount while fighting.... no knockback. i am also pretty sure warriors do not get the negatives that the not tanks get. like the dodge misses.... its been so long since i fought mounted i forget

Discussion - My bard has a Very Slow mount

Users who are viewing this thread

Back