• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Issue with Disappearing Text (EQ Drawing Limitation) (1 Viewer)

RedCents
104¢
Hi Guys and Gals,
I have an issue with my text disappearing from a lot of my windows when running MQ2. It is not on all 6 of my toons but effects 3 or 4 on almost every session. What happens is the find window text will disappear, Vendor item list will disappear, main chat window text will disappear. Things like the name and price of item you have selected to buy from a vendor will display. So if you click through the invisible list it will tell you "that will be 25 plat for the spiderling eye". I do use a player window UI but I have tried every combination of using default and restarting. The only thing that fixes it, is to close MQ2, which is pure torture...lol. I am hoping someone has had this issue and can offer a solution. My PhD. in Google has failed me on this one.

Solution
why does everything go blank when i open the map and try to click on other things like load a spell gem with the right click option on the gem window chat goes blank, this was happening before the patch today but now its hitting all windows. i dont know if this is happening for anyone else but its kind annoying to have to close the map to look at other windows when using the map to naviget places
This is a pretty frequent WTF for new MQ users.

this is an eq display limitation - you are displaying more things than eq can display. this isn't a root MQ problem, just the enhancements that MQ gives (almost always mq2map) can cause it to manifest.

so if you turned off names, for example, you'd likely fall below that "amount of stuff...
All of a sudden, when I load MQ all my chat windows, quest windows, Overseer window, spell book and merchant windows are blank (other too I am sure). Its all there because I can have the conversations and click on items in the merchant windows, its just, invisible? for lack of a better wording. Only the Main Chat is visible. Pics below are of Normal vs After launch. Any idea?

1680713989485.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Was never a problem till lately, but when I open the game map it blanks out some of the other windows on screen. As in nothing is visible unless I turn map off and on again. Can happen to the chat windows, MQ2EsKay and Mage windows etc...

Anyone else had this problem? Not sure if SpawnMaster is causing it or what.

Oh one other thing. I was in The Overthere and was going to try and spawn Needle and Saber, but SpawnMaster is giving me alerts to just regular saber cats and can't edit them out. Or maybe it was just a bug.

Last edited:
Was never a problem till lately, but when I open the game map it blanks out some of the other windows on screen. As in nothing is visible unless I turn map off and on again. Can happen to the chat windows, MQ2EsKay and Mage windows etc...

Anyone else had this problem?
everquest has an actual limit of "stuff" you can display on your screen at any one time --- if you have your map open with mq2map loaded, and labels and such you can reach that limit and then end up seeing stuff missing.

you can turn off labels on your map, or change your filters and such to accomodate

many folks close their maps or turn off labels

Oh one other thing. I was in The Overthere and was going to try and spawn Needle and Saber, but SpawnMaster is giving me alerts to just regular saber cats and can't edit them out. Or maybe it was just a bug.
I try to have /mapfilter named

that only shows named spawns and not every spawn, bacause that would trigger the max stuff on your screen wich would blank out chat

Overthere is particularly bad for the map issue. Happens to me ALL the time..the name filter thing should fix it. I am lame and just peek at my map and close it. everytime you closeor minimize your map is all the other windows displaying properly again? Its exactly as Sic said.. some zpnes just have a lot of extra text for the map, such as PoK, Overthere, The Grounds, large zones highly populated. Guild Lobby and Guild Hall for example should be fine I am betting...if so, you can hook your 2nd Monitor back and you know your issue. I have 64 Gig memory, and same thing happens.

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I noticed that my all on my text on my UI would disappear, and when I typed I could not see what I typed. The command that I type would work fine, just I could not see what I typed. All text in the UI window including Tab Names, Window Names, all the UI elements and in the map just are gone! When I click the NPC layer off the Map UI (making spawn names disappear), or close the map interface all my text returned to normal. I use Goods and Brewalls with some custom points added to some zones. From the below comments I don't think it's a Map issue as it is a EQ interface issue. ATM, when I get this issue often, I just start closing my map more often and closing windows, and /reload my UI to fix it for a while. Anyone have this and anyone have a real fix?

I saw this old post https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/character-keeps-disappearing.79580/

On EQInterface I found this Comment "EQ Bug The EQ UI can handle only handle a certain number of characters on screen at one time. If you are missing text, you will need to close some windows to get the text to show. The map often causes this issue if you have Brewalls or something similar that adds a bunch of spawn points and other notes to the map. Close the map. Edited to add: If you are running multiple accounts using the same EQ intallation, then the character limit will include all running instances so you will have this problem on many characters. The way to fix this is a separate EQ installation for each instance you are running. You MAY be able to accomplish the same thing w/ ISBoxer's virtual .ini's, but I'm not 100% certain on that"

Thanks

Very frequently asked question. Don't by shy looking for similar posts.

recommended to close your map or turn off map labels

The workaround that I use:
If I really must use the map with all labels on and it is causing my chat screens to go blank then I will enable the Height Filter to limit the output on the map. Just adjust the "Low:"(things below you) and "High:"(things above you) settings.
-Also if you ctrl+right_click on things on your map it will hide them, this can be particularly useful when "named_ph" hunting in some situations.
This helps me keep an eye of what may be going on around the area I'm camping while also being able to read my chat windows.
Hope this helps.
G'luck out there.

I have searched around for this but has anyone encountered something like this? The games text seems to be missing. The MQ Console is not being displayed and my main chat is not displaying any text either.

Attachments

• Capture01.jpg
    Capture01.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 2
I had been bashing my brains against this for an hour...apparently ZONING helps? Problem was fixed but at the same time what if i didnt want to move and this happens? I did try to reload my UI and it did not change. Will try the map fix next time this occurs

I had been bashing my brains against this for an hour...apparently ZONING helps? Problem was fixed but at the same time what if i didnt want to move and this happens? I did try to reload my UI and it did not change. Will try the map fix next time this occurs
this is an eq limitation. there is a limit on the amount of "things" that can be displayed.

turning off labels in your eq map can help, because instead of trying to label all the spawns and stuff with their names, it doesn't, and won't reach that limit.

if you zoned somewhere that there aren't as many things you're trying to draw, then you won't reach that limit.

this is an eq problem

Preface - I am a total newb with MQ2, literally just started with it today. Quite possible I have something done wrong.

Loaded everything up and using RG Mercs for a 3 box that I am testing to see if I want to start over and expand that to 6. So far, runs great! However, usually about an hr or so in, majority of my windows go blank. Chat, macros, everything. They are all still there and the past few times a reload worked to fix it. This time, it's not working. Any idea what could be causing this?

Below SS is a macro that should be showing text as I've used it and it works but now it's just empty. Happens for all windows including the MQ and plugin.

Mod edit: don't post images with your character names.

Another example I just found (if it helps):
1688890100686.png

Looks like everything is getting cut off below a certain point. Maybe top 1/5 of my screen actually shows info on any box

Last edited by a moderator:
Preface - I am a total newb with MQ2, literally just started with it today. Quite possible I have something done wrong.

Loaded everything up and using RG Mercs for a 3 box that I am testing to see if I want to start over and expand that to 6. So far, runs great! However, usually about an hr or so in, majority of my windows go blank. Chat, macros, everything. They are all still there and the past few times a reload worked to fix it. This time, it's not working. Any idea what could be causing this?

Below SS is a macro that should be showing text as I've used it and it works but now it's just empty. Happens for all windows including the MQ and plugin.

Mod edit: don't post images with your character names.

Another example I just found (if it helps):
View attachment 49655

Looks like everything is getting cut off below a certain point. Maybe top 1/5 of my screen actually shows info on any box
please take care not to post your toon names - including images with their names in them.

this is a frequently asked question - dont be shy looking for siimlar questions

this is an eq limitation. there is a limit on the amount of "things" that can be displayed.

turning off labels in your eq map can help, because instead of trying to label all the spawns and stuff with their names, it doesn't, and won't reach that limit.

if you zoned somewhere that there aren't as many things you're trying to draw, then you won't reach that limit.

this is an eq problem

I'll have to try that next time. Zoning seems to have fixed it for now. Appreciate the replies
I have found that this problem can be intermittent. I have also found that recently the new changes to the UI DBG made has also resulted in disappearing text in various UI elements. So, it can be either one or both playing in concert. The other thing I want to mention is that if you are using a custom UI, make sure you have the most current version. If your UI is on the older side, I would recommend sticking to default or a UI that frequently receives updates from it's maker. Even if it's not a complete UI and only pieces, get those updates.

I have this issue while running MQ2 where if that character has the map open with the mobs visible on the map my chat will occasionally disappear from chat windows, sub windows if I try to right click on a box. At first I was stumped and couldn't figure out what was going on, if I reloaded the UI it would fix it but then start up again. I've found if I go to map and hit the #2 button on layers it all reappears. My suspicion is it's something to do with my audio setup since the warning window appears on my laptop when I run that, but I don't get a warning window on this PC. I'm not sure if I disabled the warning message, or if it's just another incompatibility that I need to fix. My question is what programs are known not to behave with Macroquest? I know the Nahmic? message I get but I did have sound blaster software running and I thought maybe that was it, but uninstalled that. I also use steelseries wireless headphones, and I thought I uninstalled that software as well but now I'm not sure. It's not a big deal, I can click off the map button, click it back on and it seems to go again till it stops. I tried searching a few phrases with little luck so put the question out here.
I run very vanilla, with CWTN plugins and RG mercs, not gotten to running much else

yep.

eq has a limit on what can be displayed.

this is a very common posting. please make sure to search before posting a duplicate

not sure what the issue is but im unable to run my characters in game with any of these programs running,

open quest log on shaman and everything all text is flashing on and off or disappearing completely like in the rewards claims
its also the actualy text from chat boxes etc and appear to only be on that character.

anyone have any idea whats causing this i play on a computer that can handle eq with ease so im assuming its something with programs itself? im not running any scripts or macros atm just using it for the navigation.

generally if eq is blanking out texts its because the map is open, the map with mq2map has a ton of extra data to render, and eq can only display so much data at one time, so the map is like gimme all the render, and other ui pieces suffer.

this is a limitation in eq, and we cant do anything bout it, other than close your map.

I have a similar issue from time to time. Mine has nothing to do with the programs that are running.
I believe mine is because of EQ trying to draw out everything I have open on my screen. Usually closing the map fixes my issues and all other windows update successfully.

generally if eq is blanking out texts its because the map is open, the map with mq2map has a ton of extra data to render, and eq can only display so much data at one time, so the map is like gimme all the render, and other ui pieces suffer.

this is a limitation in eq, and we cant do anything bout it, other than close your map.
will give that a shot and give you an update thank you for the suggestion

Kaen is spot on, EQ can only draw so many "things". MQ (these programs as you call them), gives you ALL the rendering of text.. and EQ is like bleh... turn of names on maps (really all names)... have MQ, dont need them~

If its a big zone you can limit the radius and only show info within the radius
By "limit the radius" do you mean, 1. zoom in on the map to your immediate area, 2. size the map window smaller to show less. 3. or is there actually a "render radius" function? That would be cool AF (IE kind of like CWTN camp radius - the map only shows a selected distance around you).

Just curious, I already to the off/on labels when needed. Though upon reading all of this thread, I'll be making a series of hotkeys today :-).

By "limit the radius" do you mean, 1. zoom in on the map to your immediate area, 2. size the map window smaller to show less. 3. or is there actually a "render radius" function? That would be cool AF (IE kind of like CWTN camp radius - the map only shows a selected distance around you).

Just curious, I already to the off/on labels when needed. Though upon reading all of this thread, I'll be making a series of hotkeys today :-).
/mapfilter custom npc radius 200

mapfilter custom takes the same arguements as a spawnsearch. So anything you can do in spawn search you can do in mapfilter custom.

Problem - Issue with Disappearing Text (EQ Drawing Limitation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back