• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - How long did it take you to get comfortable with the tools here? (1 Viewer)

if you go through the site and watch everything that sounds interesting, you will be overwhelmed 100%. I know because I did that.

What ended up making it so I love this stuff and couldn't live without it is to download 1 macro/plugin/Lua at a time based on my most immediate need. For me I chose KissAssist, but later decided that MuleAssist (based on KA) was better for me so I switched. I have since moved beyond MuleAssist/Maui for almost every toon, but it got me a long way into the world

Also, keep in mind -- just cause it's there, doesn't mean you need to use it! I think I was using MQNav for at least 6 months before I realized you could do waypoints!

this actually actively bothers me when folks say that. Does it happen? sure.

I never even did a conditional statement until 2019 - let alone program anything, and you can go back to see my videos of when I was just an MQ user and not making anything - I talk the same.

a lot of folks get overwhelmed by the new information, and instead of trying to digest, or asking for clarity, write it off as "programmer speak".

you have to be ready and willing to actively be involved in your own learning and sometimes that includes teaching others how to help you
Sic I meant that as a compliment. You created a bunch of programs that I love and use daily. I think that is fascinating. I'm like a child full of wonder here. And also I was barely able to create a sandwich to have for lunch. Take the compliment bro.

Never rage quit. Digest whats happening and move forward always. I am nowhere near anything of a programmer (Id like to be, maybe a little bit of one). What got me hooked more then anything was being able to write an KA Ini and customize it some, to do what I wanted and also to help me discover how to play toons, I didnt know how to play. That in itself was enough to hook me. I wrote a few Ini that I loved. I wrote a few that I used info from others and I still have a rough time writing conditions ( but there are plenty of examples to work off of). Mules assist I think was one that would generate the conditions for you but just as I started into that, Idid a little less MQ boxing and almost all true boxing toons.
When your first start out this may seem overwhelming but take baby steps and before you know it, everything falls into place just long enough to hit you with a Whammy and put you in your place. The community here is great, CWTN Pugins will take you anywhere you want. RGMercs will take you wherever you want. KA will take you where you want. Heck Lua is a great thing that I havent taken the time to learn and I should and will.

Theres soo much for the Novice like me to use. Just by offering help and writing KA INIs got me even further into the community. Even when the Ban waves hit, I was never worried. I watched Sic get hit with loosing an entire 20 years of toons and he recovered. Why; because thats what you become. I had one toon get a week vacation. I watched what I did was never obvious for the most part and continued my path. I adjusted my Raid toon completely away and even though it was never a user, he was guilt by association. The driver had to adjust but I still enjoy the heck outta this place. I do not hide in any manner but im not standing in POK saying "USE MQ " its the way to be somebody. I dont discuss anything to do with MQ within the EQ game at all. I get asked from time to time and mostly ignore or say send me an email here or to those I know well, talk on any of the avenues we have to chat.

Last thing is, almost if not everything you need to know is here somewhere. Some is easy peasy to find and some you dig a little and find and some you have to dive all the way in. Enjoy the ride, I know I have!

A lot is overwhelming, but I personally prefer just having a broadcaster. Then I can play all toons manually from one toon, hitting 'hundreds' of predefined socials P.

Oh almost forgot - the /follow from MQ2 is so much better than having 4 toons orbiting at random, when trying to move from one location to another.

I still don't know how the tools work , even though I am a hobby programmer.

But starting with watching the beginner video's and adding more bits every night I play.
I was able to play manual with the group assisting (better than I expected) up to letting it play by itself (while watching) with a Puller to camp or hunter mode.

I love these tools and looking forward to making it even smarter.

Discussion - How long did it take you to get comfortable with the tools here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back