• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Hello everyone! (1 Viewer)

Sippi

RedCents
796¢
Hello all. I am blown away with what I've seen so far on this site. I'm excited to jump in soon and try this out.

A bit about me. My wife and I started playing EQ about a month after it started back in 1999. We continued playing until 2007. I haven't played the game in 15 years now, but I still think about it often. I recently have retired, and after doing all of my "honey-do list" at home I have gotten pretty bored. Last week, my wife asked me what I wanted to do with my time and I told her that I was considering playing EQ again. She started laughing and told me to go for it, so I started doing some research. Man alive, has this game changed. I'm worried that I'm going to not even recognize anything anymore. I'm sure it will just take some time to relearn everything, but I'm looking forward to that. In my research, I came across this site. One of my biggest loves and challenges back then was multi-boxing. I'm sure people did it before I did, but I never came across any other characters doing it before me. I was regularly running 2 accounts on 2 different computers in 1999. I was always paranoid that what I was doing was wrong, but it was just so much more fun for me. I ran a warrior and a cleric together. Eventually I had to add in some haste/slows/CC, so I added in a 3rd computer and a third account and my chanter was born in early 2000. By the end of the year, I had rounded out my group with 3 rangers (I wanted someone to snare the mobs, and they were super easy to play with auto shot with a bow) and my first 6 character boxed group was being run in late 2000. I ran this on 3 computers and alt tabbed each ranger to assist and shoot before swapping back to the "holy trinity" that I actually played on the computers. Their names were Sippi, Dippi, Wippi, Rippi, Bippi, and Lippi. People used to run up and watch me for extended amounts of time and ask If we all knew each other in RL. I just chuckled. It was an amazingly crude setup and we didn't have any of these cool tools that I've been seeing on this site. I wiped so many times just trying to figure all of it out, but that was the most fun part of the game for me. I haven't even reactivated any of my EQ accounts yet, because I'm so overwhelmed with all of the new information, but each day I'm spending time on the different sites learning what I can and trying to reacquaint myself with all of the new info. Hopefully within the next week, I'll go ahead and download the game and get my feet wet again. Once I remember what I'm doing, I'm going to give all of the tools on this site a go. It's actually what I'm most looking forward to. I can't believe that I'll hopefully soon be doing all of this on just one computer. It has me giddy just thinking about all of the new toys. =). I'm apologizing in advance, because I'll probably be asking some seriously noob questions coming up as I jump back in, but I'm really looking forward to the journey with you all. Thanks in advance!

Sippi

welcome to the greatest box community eq can have ! theres lots of info and resources here but also a great community of people helping each other, which in eq nowadays can be a rarity ... but us boxers like to work together ! again welcome to RG! dont be afraid to ask questions

Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I had taken a long break, came back and EQ alone had a lot of changes, the walk throughs are nice, not everything is answered, but it's enough to be dangerous LOL... that said, I definitely found that learning and refining the INI taught me the most; experiment here, ask a question here, apply it there, seemed to teach me the most about it... I really enjoyed the older INI websites that walked me through (though I believe some are out of date or whatnot... they still were a really great place to learn a basic knowledge)

KISSASSIST

Still one of my favorites for learning and quick reference, if there's better, I am unaware... another one I liked for / macro commands was

MQ2MOVEUTILS

Just a couple nuggets that help me sort it out... and then again, asking questions of the community here @ RG has been HUGE!

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

Welcome to Red Guides.

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

Welcome to RG and welcome back to EQ!

Like a few others have said, you have come to the best site ever. The tools and community here are unmatched and will amaze you with what you will be capable of if you manually 6 boxed back in the day.

Like you, I took a long break but the wife never played so I don't have "wife faction" others have to tend to. Somehow I remain amiable even though I try to get a few hours a day in. Without this site, it simply wouldn't be possible.

My main suggestion from my experience would be to spend as much time as you can watching and reading all the information in Sic's post. Once you think you've seen it all, try setting up your crew and I'm sure you'll end up warching/reading it all again as 99% of yours answers will be there.

Read up on the options for automation like cwtn plug ins (the best option say most folks), kissassist, rgmercs, etc and pick the one that you think will work best and have fun!

On a side note, these tools are not smiled upon by DPG, especially when used to abuse the game like afk play, over camping, training, etc, so be wise.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I appreciate the free month. I can't see any way possible that I won't be subscribing after this first month (unless I simply can't figure it out, lol)
My trick to working on "wife faction" will be trying to get her to play the game with me again. =)

Welcome back Sippi!

EQ changed a lot while you were gone but it's so easy to get immersed in online adventures again. About the wife, well, show her a beastlord with his little tiger pet and she may get hooked :D.

RG is great. This site has a large amount of interesting tools to use, and also has a great community of people willing to help.

Enjoy the game!

Last edited:
I didn't really understand red cents before, but I now realize that you gifted me my month out of your red cents. Thanks so much, Arander. Very cool of you!

New desktop has been ordered and will be here on Monday or Tuesday. I've seen lots of posts of what to load from this site (VV, CWTN plugins, KA, etc) and I'll get to those eventually, but what are some must haves to install on a brand new EQ install on a pc? I will load the game and then I assume I need to download something for maps. Any recommendations for map downloads? Any UI suggestions or do most play with the standard UI now? Any other suggestions for must haves besides the ones I'll eventually download from this site? Thanks in advance.
Sippi

Brewall and Goods are both good map packs (listed under public? forums as a sticky here). Zliz is a popular custom UI, Kaen and Sic keep a updated version.. also in the same place? if not, Sics sig has a link to it. Turn off any Nihimic overlays that came pre-installed/enabled, they cause endless stability grief. dont forget, EQ takes directx 9.c (also a link on public section). Current windows ships with.. 11 or 12?. whitelist eq/mq files for your firewall/AV, they like to block/lock them and cause randon headaches. sure im missing a ton, but 1am and on phone, not home PC.

Thanks, Durango. Hopefully I'll be ready when it arrives Tuesday. Then I'm sure I'll be back on asking some more questions about problems I've encountered. =)

Just an update from me. I've been playing again for about 2 weeks. I couldn't believe how different everything seemed. It was overwhelming after being gone so long. Because of this, I decided to do it the old school way until I hit my new characters to level 50. No VV, no KA, no plugins. I simply wanted to get my feet wet again. I'm so glad that's over with. =). I leveled 2 groups from 1-50 at different times on the same box. I am officially ready to jump in and load all the goodies now. I've watched your tutorial videos about 10 times each so let's hope it goes well. I'm not at all tech savvy, so I'm kind of scared, but as the kids say. YOLO!! Wish me luck. =). Also as a side note, I got my wife playing again. WOOHOO!! She is currently MOLOing content but I'm thrilled that she has jumped back in also.

I did have a few generic questions that have crept up since coming back due to differences in the game.
1. The new loot system is wonderful for soloing, but my oh my, it's been awful while boxing. How can I simply auto destroy the garbage and only give out no drop or defiant items?
2. I obviously can't raid anything yet, so I'll be buying stuff in the bazaar. This defiant stuff is amazing and I've loaded up on it. My question is about augs. I have seen numerous threads on this site (thanks btw, they are awesome) for camping augs. Is there a list somewhere for buyable augs? I am hoping to load up in the bazaar, but I'm having issues finding anything.
3. In so many threads, I'm reading about progression through different content. How much of this is needed? Is there a step by step list I need to be going through? Or with the current content can most of it be skipped now?
4. I'm going to get my SK an epic to help me tank for these groups. While I'm coming up the levels before 100 is there somewhere that I can kill stuff with my group that will get me exp and a drop I need instead of going back and killing a bunch of green/gray things for hours on end later to get an epic drop?

Thanks for letting me ask some seriously noob questions. I appreciate your help. This site is fantastic.
Sippi

Just an update from me. I've been playing again for about 2 weeks. I couldn't believe how different everything seemed. It was overwhelming after being gone so long. Because of this, I decided to do it the old school way until I hit my new characters to level 50. No VV, no KA, no plugins. I simply wanted to get my feet wet again. I'm so glad that's over with. =). I leveled 2 groups from 1-50 at different times on the same box. I am officially ready to jump in and load all the goodies now. I've watched your tutorial videos about 10 times each so let's hope it goes well. I'm not at all tech savvy, so I'm kind of scared, but as the kids say. YOLO!! Wish me luck. =). Also as a side note, I got my wife playing again. WOOHOO!! She is currently MOLOing content but I'm thrilled that she has jumped back in also.

I did have a few generic questions that have crept up since coming back due to differences in the game.
1. The new loot system is wonderful for soloing, but my oh my, it's been awful while boxing. How can I simply auto destroy the garbage and only give out no drop or defiant items?
2. I obviously can't raid anything yet, so I'll be buying stuff in the bazaar. This defiant stuff is amazing and I've loaded up on it. My question is about augs. I have seen numerous threads on this site (thanks btw, they are awesome) for camping augs. Is there a list somewhere for buyable augs? I am hoping to load up in the bazaar, but I'm having issues finding anything.
3. In so many threads, I'm reading about progression through different content. How much of this is needed? Is there a step by step list I need to be going through? Or with the current content can most of it be skipped now?
4. I'm going to get my SK an epic to help me tank for these groups. While I'm coming up the levels before 100 is there somewhere that I can kill stuff with my group that will get me exp and a drop I need instead of going back and killing a bunch of green/gray things for hours on end later to get an epic drop?

Thanks for letting me ask some seriously noob questions. I appreciate your help. This site is fantastic.
Sippi
1. I recommend Lootly, but there are other things like mq2autoloot (i don't recommend), or mq2lootmanager
2. I wouldn't really sweat augs until you're a bit higher level ~90+ probably. decent droppable augs stop around that time (TBM at 105)
3. play what brings you the most fun! once you get into the more "modern" game - you'll end up wanting to do progression anyhow for the rewards - mounts, bags, familiars,
4. sk epic is *STILL* one of the best items in the game, it is worth that time investment

Sippi
1. Check out Lootly in the Lua section, definitely helpful for handling loot
2. I wouldnt worry much about augs until a bit higher, but someone else will have to answer as to which you can buy, I think the huge majority are no drop.
3. Each of the later expansions, starting around CotF, has progression quests and missions that are tied in with the heroic AA's. It's worth doing, if for nothing else it provides a good tour through the expansion and helps to level once the normal "sit and grind" mode becomes less feasible. EQResource has a good list of all of the progression quests, and when it falls short, there's always allakhazam.
4. Depends on which epic you mean. SK definitely wants their epic 2.0, and OoW zones are where a lot of those drops come from. I'd take a look at the quest and maybe base your hunting on that? I would actually recommend getting a bit higher and coming back for a lot of it though. You'll be surprised at how quickly it goes when you can steamroll through it.

edit: I see sic responded with similar info in the time between me starting to write this, getting distracted, and posting it.

I used CoTF Marks of Valor to buy type 7 augs to avoid camping for them. TBM I used for the armor and type 5/9 augs. Tank I upgraded every 5 levels and for the dps I only upgraded them every 10-15 levels. In TBM if you focus on the 4 HA that give the spirit of ... and Into the Temple B they give the most coins to buy with. Into the Temple B does not give a chest or a named at the end but still has the type 5 augs that can drop from mobs. The other missions have named and chests to get upgraded visable and non visable armor that is upgrade to the ones bought in PoTranq.

HOLY CRAP!! That was amazing. Coming from a guy who six boxed for about 10 years with no software, this is just insane. It WAAYY exceeded my expectations. It was really easy to set up. I watched the videos and simply did what they told me to. All I did was use VV and it was such a game changer I don't even know what to say. I can't wait to add in Kissassist and the class plugins now. Wow. What a great experience! Well done guys!

HOLY CRAP!! That was amazing. Coming from a guy who six boxed for about 10 years with no software, this is just insane. It WAAYY exceeded my expectations. It was really easy to set up. I watched the videos and simply did what they told me to. All I did was use VV and it was such a game changer I don't even know what to say. I can't wait to add in Kissassist and the class plugins now. Wow. What a great experience! Well done guys!
you aint seen nothing yet, my friend :p

On my second pc (the one my wife uses), the MQ2Nav tools tab and the pluginmanager v1 tab are missing. I'm assume she closed them since she doesn't use any of the software. I keep trying different commands, but I can't get them back. What do I need to type in the MQ box to bring them both up please? Thanks.

You guys rock. Thanks for your help.
It's a great community here. I've been playing EQ again for a little over a year after leaving back in about 2006/7. I had a dalliance with Al`Kabor in 2011/12ish but once that server folded, I was off the EQ wagon for good. Or so I thought.
I've just recently jumped in with the RedGuides tools and community, having alt-tabbed my way through a 3- and 4-box setup (sometimes running 5, but that was super ineffective) until now. After just a couple of weeks, I've purchased several of the paid tools (CWTN class plugins are AMAZING) and won't look back.

I hope your experience is shaping up to be as good as mine has been.

Eq is fun. Eq is much more fun on RG crack. the game has evolved in so many ways. its so deep. Watch the videos. read the forums. check up the questions etc areas.

Straight up. this site will make the game so much more enjoyable. Usually i go on some long and probably boring typing mess that takes too long to read. I will just leave it at this.

Welcome back. All the best and good luck. Enjoy what RG has to offer in its resources and its people. and wb to Everquest!

Hello all. I am blown away with what I've seen so far on this site. I'm excited to jump in soon and try this out.

A bit about me. My wife and I started playing EQ about a month after it started back in 1999. We continued playing until 2007. I haven't played the game in 15 years now, but I still think about it often. I recently have retired, and after doing all of my "honey-do list" at home I have gotten pretty bored. Last week, my wife asked me what I wanted to do with my time and I told her that I was considering playing EQ again. She started laughing and told me to go for it, so I started doing some research. Man alive, has this game changed. I'm worried that I'm going to not even recognize anything anymore. I'm sure it will just take some time to relearn everything, but I'm looking forward to that. In my research, I came across this site. One of my biggest loves and challenges back then was multi-boxing. I'm sure people did it before I did, but I never came across any other characters doing it before me. I was regularly running 2 accounts on 2 different computers in 1999. I was always paranoid that what I was doing was wrong, but it was just so much more fun for me. I ran a warrior and a cleric together. Eventually I had to add in some haste/slows/CC, so I added in a 3rd computer and a third account and my chanter was born in early 2000. By the end of the year, I had rounded out my group with 3 rangers (I wanted someone to snare the mobs, and they were super easy to play with auto shot with a bow) and my first 6 character boxed group was being run in late 2000. I ran this on 3 computers and alt tabbed each ranger to assist and shoot before swapping back to the "holy trinity" that I actually played on the computers. Their names were Sippi, Dippi, Wippi, Rippi, Bippi, and Lippi. People used to run up and watch me for extended amounts of time and ask If we all knew each other in RL. I just chuckled. It was an amazingly crude setup and we didn't have any of these cool tools that I've been seeing on this site. I wiped so many times just trying to figure all of it out, but that was the most fun part of the game for me. I haven't even reactivated any of my EQ accounts yet, because I'm so overwhelmed with all of the new information, but each day I'm spending time on the different sites learning what I can and trying to reacquaint myself with all of the new info. Hopefully within the next week, I'll go ahead and download the game and get my feet wet again. Once I remember what I'm doing, I'm going to give all of the tools on this site a go. It's actually what I'm most looking forward to. I can't believe that I'll hopefully soon be doing all of this on just one computer. It has me giddy just thinking about all of the new toys. =). I'm apologizing in advance, because I'll probably be asking some seriously noob questions coming up as I jump back in, but I'm really looking forward to the journey with you all. Thanks in advance!

Sippi
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Discussion - Hello everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back