• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Greetings from a lurker (1 Viewer)

RedCents
815¢
I've lurked around a while, but just a handful of weeks ago I finally jumped into the pool with MQ.
I've played EQ for >20 years, but in recent years I've been in and out of game for long stretches. What always happened was I'd hit a brick wall at some point and stop playing. Sometimes it was mechanics, but a lot of time it was just dps. My old shaman/sk combo was able to slowly work through just about anything, except dps tests.
So a handful of years back, I added a 3rd box, a mage. Three characters was challenging with just a programmable keyboard for assistance, but I could function. But I still couldn't pass dps tests. Griklor, I'm looking at you.
This year I wanted to play again and started working through NOS. All going well until I hit the missions and guess what... dps tests. I was going to quit again and finally said screw it and tried MQ. What a difference it makes, the game is enjoyable instead of painful now. I'm running 5 characters with less stress than I ever did with 3.

I've learned enough to see how much more I have to learn, but I can finally ask some questions as needed instead of just swimming in information.
Lot of thing to work out ahead, my next big thing will be challenger of NOS for my cloak evolution, but this time I think I can get there.

Welcome! I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. There are so many helpful folks and a plethora of resources. I've been using MQ for 3? years. I'm still learning and finding better ways to tweak things! It never gets old :)

Welcome!
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

So I ran last night's log through eqlogparser to get some idea where things stand.

So for burst:
Under Siege in 89 seconds
Rogue 1,701,459 / cwtn
SK 1,115,961 / fully manual
Mage 1,074,381 / cwtn
Shaman 715,015 / cwtn,dps mode
Bard 244,642, KA

Shei in 88s Testing out the lem for this, so I went full auto.
Rogue 1,518,675 / cwtn
Mage 1,019,134 / cwtn
SK 646,835 / cwtn, sic tank, NDT primary
Shaman 414,599 / cwtn, heal mode, cureall
Bard 228,407 / KA, with lem for banish

Sustained:
Mean Streets /grind in 8880s. Burn set to 3 mobs, which is pretty common
Rogue 1,098,315 / cwtn
Mage 602,657 / cwtn
SK 348,632 / cwtn, sic tank, sword & board
Shaman 284,401 / cwtn, dps mode
Bard 148,850 / KA

I'm a bit surprised that the rogue is so effective so early. He's still under 40k AA with a lot of room to grow. The mage is nearly max AA, with no real room to grow short of acquiring raid focii / spells.
Any feedback appreciated. I've never been much of a parser while running my old 'slow as paint' duo, so if anything looks off, let me know.

Your bard DPS looks low. This could be due to your spell line up or lack of AA's.

My general "twist" is

Gem1=Aria of Pli Xin Liako
Gem2=War March of Centien Xi Va Xakra
Gem3=Cruor's Chant of Poison
Gem4=Shak Dathor's Chant of Flame
Gem5=Sylra Fris' Chant of Frost
Gem6=Coagulus' Chant of Disease
Gem7=Sogran's Insult

Make sure your bard and shaman epics are in sync.

During "burns" the bard should also throw in:

Fierce Eye
Quick Time
Cacophony
Dance of Blades
Funeral Dirge
Flurry of Notes
Frenzied Kicks
Spire of the Minstrels
Boastful Bellow
Thousand Blades
Most current BP Clicky

Anyone have a better write up/sequence ?

Last edited:
I've lurked around a while, but just a handful of weeks ago I finally jumped into the pool with MQ.
I've played EQ for >20 years, but in recent years I've been in and out of game for long stretches. What always happened was I'd hit a brick wall at some point and stop playing. Sometimes it was mechanics, but a lot of time it was just dps. My old shaman/sk combo was able to slowly work through just about anything, except dps tests.
So a handful of years back, I added a 3rd box, a mage. Three characters was challenging with just a programmable keyboard for assistance, but I could function. But I still couldn't pass dps tests. Griklor, I'm looking at you.
This year I wanted to play again and started working through NOS. All going well until I hit the missions and guess what... dps tests. I was going to quit again and finally said screw it and tried MQ. What a difference it makes, the game is enjoyable instead of painful now. I'm running 5 characters with less stress than I ever did with 3.

I've learned enough to see how much more I have to learn, but I can finally ask some questions as needed instead of just swimming in information.
Lot of thing to work out ahead, my next big thing will be challenger of NOS for my cloak evolution, but this time I think I can get there.
I have a similar feeling about MQ. EQ was great for years but some of the walls limited the experience. MQ has opened up all sorts of new avenues for playing in a way that fits my style. I'm currently working on a raid crew to try some different classes and take on some of the stuff I missed over the years. I used to always stick to melee types but its amazingly fun to have the opportunity to run all these different classes that I never tried back in the old days. The challenge of working against some of the more complex event mechanics can be a lot of fun!

The bard is running on Sic's KA ini. It doesn't seem to prioritize personal dps, since it doesn't run the dot chants.
Synchronizing the epics, I'll have to see if there's a premade lem available for it. I'm not ready yet to start writing my own.

For the mage, how much difference does pet focus make? I'm running T2 group focus, and considering dropping her to ftp since the rogue will need to be subbed. Alternately, how big of an improvement would it be to buy mage a raid focus?

Thanks for the input.

The bard is running on Sic's KA ini. It doesn't seem to prioritize personal dps, since it doesn't run the dot chants.
Synchronizing the epics, I'll have to see if there's a premade lem available for it. I'm not ready yet to start writing my own.
I intentionally didn't run dots with kiss/mule because due to things like mq2twist, the bard would kill itself

I'm woefully ignorant about bards. Is 'the bard would kill itself' due to aggro on incoming, or is there a interaction where the bard will suicide from dots?

Sometimes with Twist, you can target yourself and get crit by your own songs and dead from my understanding. MQ2Medley ftw.

Just to clarify.

MQ2Twist has nothing to do with targeting. It just casts spells. It is most often used on bards but you can use it on any character to cast spells over and over.

Example: /twist 1 2 3 4

This tells the plugin to cast spell gem 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 over and over until you tell it to stop.

Thus if you have dots in your twist line up and happened to target yourself, you could hit yourself with the dots.

MQ2Medley on the other hand is a smarter form of "twisting".

MQ2Medley allows you to create different song profiles and includes parameters that you can tweak to get the results you want. For example with the dots, you could check that your target is an NPC that is currently on your xtarget agro bar.

Once I get a bit more knowledgeable I'll see about implementing medley instead of twist. Right at the moment, I'll stick with Sic's premade. I don't care so much about the bard's personal dps, since that's not its real purpose. But it would be nice to eventually improve there.

IRL - Greetings from a lurker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back