• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - EQ's Expansion 2023 - Laurion's Song Live 12-5-2023 - Patch notes inside (1 Viewer)

Just released:

A door appears, and the heroes of Norrath walk through to find a warm and cozy-looking building. Light from the windows illuminates a clearing in a forest. Music and voices, as well as the tantalizing smell of cooking meat and mead, drift in the air. The inn’s presence invites adventurers to rest and revel after exhausting and dangerous exploits.

Welcome to the Realm of Heroes, the place where the greatest heroes go when their adventures are over. Nobody remembers the last time anyone entered or left this place. Can you discover what the mystery is that lies under the façade of comfort and revelry?

Laurion's Song features a level cap increase to 125, new zones to explore, new raids, quests, and missions, and much more. Also new for this year, take advantage of Alternate Personas when you can swap between different classes quicker while retaining your current inventory, crafting skills, and flags.

Beta and pre-orders for Laurion's Song starts on October 10, 2023. It's going to be your first chance to get a sneak peek, help us test, and earn yourself a sweet beta reward.

That's not all that's coming soon. The DirectX 11 API port, which has been on the Test server since mid-September, is on track to make its way to live servers this month. Next month is the Extra Life Game Day, as well as the Extra Life server bonuses! The Feast of Giving and Raid, Raid, Raid will return next month, so prepare yourself for fun in November! December will see our annual Frostfell and New Year’s events, as well as this year's expansion launch.

Upcoming

October

• 2023's Expansion Beta + Pre-order
  • DirectX 11 API port goes live
November

• Extra Life Game Day - Help us raise funds for the Children's Miracle Network.
  • New Content for Feast of Giving
December

• 2023's Expansion Launch - EverQuest's 30th Expansion!
As the sounds of 2023 begin to slowly fade into the background over the next few months, I'll begin work on the public 2024 Roadmap. EverQuest has a big year coming up and I cannot wait to share what we have in store for everyone. So, with that, this producer’s letter has come to its end.

Or class specific events / epics / raids just completely breaking from a scripting standpoint. Shard's landing raid for example.

Tis is what I mean when I say I don't want dbg to try and be fancy

I bet they're just leveraging their shroud system tho

Welcome to the Realm of Heroes, the place where the greatest heroes go when their adventures are over. Nobody remembers the last time anyone entered or left this place!

I said this in the discord. But its obvious EQ afterlife. And the alternate personas are just a smoke screen to cover the real details of this announcement!

Or a lot of people changing out their unused toons for Bards lol, wonder if they come with epics if original character has their 2.0 done will be fun seeing how this all works out.

Or a lot of people changing out their unused toons for Bards lol, wonder if they come with epics if original character has their 2.0 done will be fun seeing how this all works out.
What if you're fully raid geared and then swap to alternate persona which has default group gear like heroic toon :xd:

I think it is about time to come back out with another TSS type expansion where it gives a new starting zone and a path for lvl 1 to 125 (or what ever max is at that time). Think that would be a good thing to push out once they get the system upgrades pushed through and worked out to help get in some new blood.

I'm curious about alternate personas. Seems like a way to try and give players some flexibility for grouping (2 bards lfg, one changes to a healer or pure dps mode so they dont overlap etc.).

My bet for this is similar to Sic's that it is a more complex/hashed out shroud system that we can level up and earn ranks in. Possibly tiered drops being added in to offer us a chance to complete a quest and get "raid level" stats for a tier.

The end goal is having the ability to "class change" to this persona and fill a different role on normal content.

I'd lose my mind (in the best way) if this tavern setting is a new hub zone with some kind of system for players lower than 120 to band together regardless of level and earn currency and exp. Then they can tackle the new zones 121-125 after they've AAd and geared up.

I'm curious about alternate personas. Seems like a way to try and give players some flexibility for grouping (2 bards lfg, one changes to a healer or pure dps mode so they dont overlap etc.).

My bet for this is similar to Sic's that it is a more complex/hashed out shroud system that we can level up and earn ranks in. Possibly tiered drops being added in to offer us a chance to complete a quest and get "raid level" stats for a tier.

The end goal is having the ability to "class change" to this persona and fill a different role on normal content.

I'd lose my mind (in the best way) if this tavern setting is a new hub zone with some kind of system for players lower than 120 to band together regardless of level and earn currency and exp. Then they can tackle the new zones 121-125 after they've AAd and geared up.
Wondering if you change persona if you need to buy the spells for the class and have appropriate gear? I mean I probably won't have a need for this ...feature?... based on the description, but I suppose it can be useful to some.

I'm guessing right off that you can't change on a whim (need a rezzer to recover the group from wipe? Nah, need to go to a specific location to change persona my guess)

Alternate Personas
I am betting this is going to be a re-hash of the monster shroud system.

Like, why wouldn't the devs go this approach? It's already baked into EQ and tried and tested, loopholes fixed etc. - all that would be required is the ability to swap on the fly, a re-skin of sorts, and some minor enhancements. Personally I wouldn't want to build a feature like this from scratch because it would be like trying to decipher cuneiforms w/out the rosetta stone.

Whether from scratch or using shrouds, I can guarantee "Alternate Personas" will absolutely suck and be completely underpowered (maybe a 5% chance they are *absurdly* OP), but literally 0% chance they will be "not bad". I'm giving it a 95% chance they won't even appear on beta, and probably not until a month or two after the xpac launches. Even just their 1 line description sounds way too complicated to code in the EQ engine.

I'm just hoping there are some cool new clickies and thoughtful itemization, but I'm not holding my breath.

1696483092782.png

Given this mined snip of the UI, it looks like it will be much more than shrouds. Alt Slots, equipment sets, AA, skills and Achievements all point to alternate full classes for the same character. Also a nice fat paywall will be included too along with what I'm sure is a hopeful increase in Heroic character upgrade purchases.

Doesn't seem to be it would affect or entice boxers too much? I have one of each class on 16 accounts, so if I need a class I can just load up instead of buying a Persona Slot and Heroic unlock. To me that seems far more beneficial for the LFG people. I already have 11 other characters on my main's account I no longer play since I started RG, haha. I have FTP classes of all those guys now in other groups, I would imagine many of us have the same thing. This seems to be buy 15 Persona Slot and you can be any class in an instant, but you still have to level that class it looks like, or buy 15 Heroic 100 unlocks. Yikes.

View attachment 51350

Given this mined snip of the UI, it looks like it will be much more than shrouds. Alt Slots, equipment sets, AA, skills and Achievements all point to alternate full classes for the same character. Also a nice fat paywall will be included too along with what I'm sure is a hopeful increase in Heroic character upgrade purchases.
Well... if that UI is close to what their aiming for, I'll tip my hat to them for now as this looks like more than what I expected.

The alternate persona has me intrigued. I wonder if this is DBG creating a path to entice people to quit boxing, or possibly quit running multiple boxes. My mind always goes to the worst scenario when new stuff comes out. I guarantee they are going to try to monetize it as much as possible! It just feels weird to think about at this point.

It sounds pretty cozy and unimpressive at first, with a potential mix of underlying Lovecraftian and Eldritch horror hiding below it all, which I personally like.

Is this an actual screenshot?

Yes. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/alternate-persona.292894/page-3#post-4247742

The alternate persona has me intrigued. I wonder if this is DBG creating a path to entice people to quit boxing, or possibly quit running multiple boxes. My mind always goes to the worst scenario when new stuff comes out. I guarantee they are going to try to monetize it as much as possible! It just feels weird to think about at this point.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with boxing. If there was any intention behind it besides adding another feature to the game that came up during a brainstorm session, and another way to monetize the game, I would say it's to give some players who may want to re-roll because their main class is no longer appealing, but don't because they've put so much work into that toon. Flags, max tradeskills etc. Those players who might otherwise just quit the game, may see this as an appealing option.

I'm pretty curious about how things like Augs and Lore tags on items are going to work. Still, this "feature" really doesn't appeal to me personally, and probably won't to most of the Redguides community.

Tis is what I mean when I say I don't want dbg to try and be fancy

I bet they're just leveraging their shroud system tho
Wouldnt be a terrible thing, I thought the shroud system was a PERFECT way to implement higher level toons helping new friends or new players play the game, and it feels like it was completely just missed by the populace.
I use it all the time when I have a friend join the game to see how they like it when they try it out, and i think it works perfectly for that role.

I dont think its about quitting boxing, I think its more to help entice players to Group.
80 folks online, All DPS no Tanks or Healers or CC's....

This will allow someone to take an action, switch to the other roll, and help make a group.

Im interested to see where this leads. I also think this might be a good way to stop for EQ1 and have a spot for EQ3 to open up.

Just how she was talking about items in the production letter. via:

"Welcome to the Realm of Heroes, the place where the greatest heroes go when their adventures are over. Nobody remembers the last time anyone entered or left this place. Can you discover what the mystery is that lies under the façade of comfort and revelry?"

We will just have to wait and see.

View attachment 51350

I was very dubious that this was actually real with the way the internet is. Tried it myself and it definitely is real. The only thing that was different for me was this!

Attachments

• image_2023-10-05_140952127.png
    image_2023-10-05_140952127.png
    4 KB · Views: 5
News - EQ's Expansion 2023 - Laurion's Song Live 12-5-2023 - Patch notes inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Back