• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Contest April Contest: Win a 105 WIZ w/ max AA, rares. Tell us your favorite way to lvl 75. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many fantastic posts already so to not to repeat too much I'll list the zones and the order I used in older days (around The Serpents Spine expansion).

1. Kurn's Tower - pull all of it
  2. Gulf of Gunthak - pull all of the beach
  3. Dulak's Harbor - pull as many buildings at once as possible
  4. Crypt of Nadox - pull about 30-50 at a time(at 75 this was getting a bit dangerous)
  5. Ruined City of Dranik - regular grouping(it was similar to WoS experience but less populated)

Character to be PLed was alone or grouped with another PL char who had AOE spell. In those days 250pp per cast for Oil of Fennin Ro seemed expensive.

My PL team had 75 SK puller AOE aggroe (Eye of Xygoz in primary, all DS off)

The Sk was usually grouped with Cleric, Bard and Mage, Cleric did HOT heals, Bard and Mage were used to max DS.

Many fantastic posts already so to not to repeat too much I'll list the zones and the order I used in older days (around The Serpents Spine expansion).

1. Kurn's Tower - pull all of it
  2. Gulf of Gunthak - pull all of the beach
  3. Dulak's Harbor - pull as many buildings at once as possible
  4. Crypt of Nadox - pull about 30-50 at a time(at 75 this was getting a bit dangerous)
  5. Ruined City of Dranik - regular grouping(it was similar to WoS experience but less populated)

Character to be PLed was alone or grouped with another PL char who had AOE spell. In those days 250pp per cast for Oil of Fennin Ro seemed expensive.

My PL team had 75 SK puller AOE aggroe (Eye of Xygoz in primary, all DS off)

The Sk was usually grouped with Cleric, Bard and Mage, Cleric did HOT heals, Bard and Mage were used to max DS.

I forgot about Dulak's Harbor! I would pull the entire freaking zone, wait for repops, rinse, repeat. I'd pop lessons and log the PL'ee out while I trained around gathering mobs, and then log him back in to hit all of them, kill, and then log him back out to wait for respawns. Thanks for adding that tidbit!

Re: April Contest: Win a 105 WIZ w/ max AA, rares. Tell us your favorite way to lvl

Hatching a plan instance with oil of fenin ro potions and my sk and mage team make for very smooth sailing all the way to 75 especially since you can prolong any xp potions or lesson.

Re: April Contest: Win a 105 WIZ w/ max AA, rares. Tell us your favorite way to lvl

last round I did it this way

1-60 Dragonscale Hills
60-76 Pok instance
76-95 Morell'sCastle
95-105 Dino Island instance

First off, wizards rule! Second: the method... There are two options I use, depending on my mood. I either DS-PL in TSS zones to about 50 (Crescent Reach, Blightfire, Stone Hive). This method is slower, but more fun if I am bored.
Second option is LC: Lichen Creep

Once that is done, I take them to The Bloodfields, and DS PL with my 105 Enchanter, and use a ranger's vespines line to make it faster. :) This is good to about 60 (maybe 65).

After that, I bring them to WoS until about 70. If it gets too slow. Then I move on to Loping Planes until 75.

Once they're 75, they can group with my wizard and warrior. I just murder dark elves in Neriak 4th gate until about 90-95. Then it's off to any TBM zone. I like Crypt of Sul. It's fun. :) If I don't get TBM, I just keep them in Neriak. It's slower than TBM, but real easy for fast kills.

start grabbing the Charm of lore item from messa that will get you to 17 with 1 turn in

POK mission all the way to 75 in less than a day . "Hatching the plan"

take a solid tank in with oil of fennin ro and DS pots for the tank .

this strat works with any high lvl toon as long as a DS is available no matter the class

use merc if no tank class ":healer" keep merc turned off until you reach 50% health then turn merc on active

cleric merc will still aggo and keep it with heals

with XP pot running will only take 3 pots , more efficient no wasting ticks because you reserve your timers or any buffs when zoning back out to POK.

max out your AA's at 65 and every 5 lvls after that up to 75 .

DO NOT COMPLETE the mission just pull whole zone and kill mobs

no need to invite the High lvl into group just make sure you invite to task OUT OF GROUP

you will be maxed AA and 75 when done , even with autogrant .

keeps you close to all merchants , new spells, GM trainers , banks .

Lower Guk to 40-45. for this we typically set up at the AM camp and we change to PL'd group running kissassist in tank/assist mode. PL group continues normal routine except Enchanter switches to pulling, enchanter pauses KA, pulls a swarm back to the camp, unpauses and goes in AE mez mode, pl group slaughters. will typically bring in a mage and have them chill at the campfire for COH as needed. if pling casters i'll bring in an 85 necro that runs a custom macro to pump mana. we pull everything nonstop from Lord to Frenzied and if that's not enough i'll pull the rest of the dead side.

Oh Yeah! Lower Guk was great because the undead did not run away at low health! The DS pl worked great there.

No PL duo or molo Leveling to 75
  • 1-20 Crescent Reach and work your way to Skeleton camp and this is good to about 20
  • 20-44 Brightfire Moors start with entry rats and work to treants
  • 44-60 Goru`kar Mesa start with spiders then Giants and Centaurs
  • 60-75 Walls of Slaughter You might have a rough time at 60 but its doable starting at zone then working to the north post 66.
  • Optional 20-75 LDoN is actually really fun break from WoS and other undesirable zones and the Exp is pretty solid as well.

I've leveled well over 50 toons to max level in the past 16 years, but everyone has there favorite spots. The thing that I stress to players is play where you enjoy. Screw the exp and money makers for Everquest, it just isn't worth it. I love EQ and its community, but if you just follow a guide for fastest exp you will burn out. That is why I gave the fastest way and then the way I typically play these days ;)

Enjoy!
Noobhaxor

Just want to say I've enjoyed this little non-PL guide. I'm doing a simple cleric / warrior combo with kissassist, and the early levels are a blast.

oh hell I forgot recruit a friend!

So wish they would bring back RAF. That went down in one of my EQ "Vacations".

i would suggest great divine for 30-40 killing at the giant fort.

This is how I make levels on a server I have no characters on.... ie no pl, no plat assist, no gear, nothing.

I create a set of three to box w/mercs. The set is a wiz a druid and a berserker. I group them and tweak the ini to surviving afk.

Spot them in tutorial B and run under observation, do not want to offend anyone by being afk totally. Rats and bats, Spiders, etc.. till level 9 or 10. By the way to make the first few plat I gather as many of the Gloomingdeep Silk to trade in for cloth armor and sell to merchant. It is enough for spells and such.

Foray to Crescent Reach and take each set of blue white yellow in order. Shrooms, cats, Bears, Skelies, undead... by then the group is around 20, 21.

I then take the Druid and wiz and all the cash to PoK. buy each toon 10 deluxe toolbox' and gate, bind affinity, sow, tox gate.

I then run both to East Freeport and bind myself right by Xelha.
with druid
:Loop
port to Tox
Run in to Brells
Buy max bones
Gate
swap bags with wiz
Turn in bones
goto :Loop

buy Extraplanar Satchels when I can
when wiz is above 21 take plat to PoK and get 2 sets of deluxe toolboxes

bring on another wiz, run it to East Freeport

Have both druid and wiz "feed" the new wiz
when the new wiz is level 52 swap it with one of the original, repeat till all three are 52
Do that with all newbie toons till 6 box ready. By then there is enough plat to outfit defiant all.
Cskillup, Bard song up, and skiller as relevant

Reasonable 6 box, go to Goru'kar, Dromrek Giants, Griffons, Rotwoods, Dryads... in that order.

The hole. Start at the bottom work all the way up to the top of the tower then back. Take a break. If there are other PC's in zone come back later. To around 68 70 ish.

Loping Plains, grind grind grind

Bones still worth doing with the ridiculous nerf they got hit with?

Grind, grind, grind. I really only began wanting to attain the upper levels after signing on with RedGuides and becoming a member. MY lack of experience and casual play sentenced me to grinding out the experience. I still learn something new almost everyday. Well my first pre Red Guides 75 ding was a cleric on FV. It went first because I used it on all the boxes that i was grinding at the time.
Nowadays I can start from nothing and hit 75 within a week with KA and all the wonderful macros and tips I get here. Damn I said I wasn't gonna cry... snif snif

Thanks to RG and all the staff and the player contributors.
Playbetter

- - - Updated - - -
Response to nyghteyes..................... bones worth it?
Sure... if you do not have a level 105 laying around to PoK instance you up to 52.
I run the East Freeport bones to 52 then stop. After that the return on time invested can be better spent elsewhere.

Playbetter

Hmmm gotta remember how I did it with my shaman levels might be slightly off but..

1-10 Started in tutorial
10-20 field of bone
20-30 Kurns tower
30-40 lair of splitpaw
40-50 crypt of nadox
50-65 Doomfire the burning lands
65-90 The grounds

Shammy abandoned at 92 :(

The usual path i take is -

1-20 Paludal (noob end - bandit camps)
20-35 MSeru (rock out from entrance)
35-50 Dawnshroud (hoppers)
50-65 Bloodfields (entrance)
65-75 Wall of Slaughter (where ever i can find a lot of mobs!)

Bones still worth doing with the ridiculous nerf they got hit with?

So, Kaladim bones went from a ridiculous nerf to a COMPLETE nerf. Even after the nerf it would give a VERY, VERY small amount of experience. I just tested it yesterday because I needed to get a toon from lvl 1 to 5 in a relatively short period of time and nada.... ZERO experience gain. Now it just gives faction and a shitload of vendor trash.

Did not know that another bones quest (EFP?) still gave exp... that would have been nice to know yesterday lol.

Are you sure the lowbie was not grouped with a higher level character? When that happened in the past, the higher level would get the xp and the lowbie would get none.

1. Make a lvl 1 wizard + 4 more lvl 1 toon
2. Use my 105 wizard and bind up by the gnolls in CR
3. Teleport to bind the 5 lvl 1 toons to the first PL spot
4. Run around on my bard with AOE snare/slow playing and pick up all mobs
5. Run back to group and let song hit all mobs a few times for agro
6. Run in on lvl 1 wizard and cast PB AOE max 3 times
7. Turn on DS songs on bard and spam sit until all mobs die
8. Move to new area once mobs are DB (usually 1-2 pulls per spot)
9. At 15 move to undead at northern end of zone and repeat process
10. At 25 move to gnolls in BM
11. At 30 move to wasps by Hive
12. At 35 move into Hive
13. At 40 move to Dranic Scar up by castle
14. At 46 move to Plane of Inovation
15. At 55 move to Crypt of Decay
16. At 65 move to DSH - multiple pulls here so you never have down time
17. At 70 use my FTP lvl 100's to lvl in the grounds or Morells Castle

Pull as many mobs as you can without lagging the server out. At a certain number they lag out and follow at an extremely slow pace.

No interest in the giveaway as I feel giving me a character would be kind of pointless since I am probably the only one who even comes close to rivaling Raz in the amount of toons I got going =P

This is a purely LAZY method, it is by NO MEANS fast.

Generally for starting a fresh team I like to start with 5 because i am lazy. I'll gold one of them to start and then buy a J1 Tank merc. This little sucker is your life blood. I start out in Crescent pulling mobs 1 by 1 and letting the tank merc do it. One thing that works well is have a wizzy/clr in your 5 box and have the wizzy set as Pullertank and make him use Burst of Flame. Chances are he'll cast on shit a distance enough away and the tank merc will engage it even before he gets to the wizzy to hit him. Would work for any class that can cast a detrimental spell. The clr can be essential if anyone needs a quick patch in this scenario.

Move north through Crescent as you advance in levels until 20 at which point skip town and head to the bees in blightfire. Kill these suckers for about 10 levels before heading to Gorukar Mesa up north. Here you'll hunt relatively weak mobs for a little (wolves, bears) and move up to spiders once you're a bit more advanced in level. After the spiders you can do snakes until you reach 46 at which point it is time to head on over to plane of hate!

Skip on through the flowers and unicorns and ponies of Plane of Knowledge and Tranquility to get to HATE (or the new way, take the guild hall!)

Things get a bit harder here, mobs start actually hurting the merc! KILL THEM ALL WITH FIRE until about level 62 - 65 at which point head on over to Crypt of Decay for 5 - 7 levels or so following into my favorite, plane of fire!

Links added for each location cause there's more detail on those pages than I care to type out in this post currently. Most important thing is remember to have fun!

I got to level XYZ in current content at that point in time - which, I couldn't even begin to tell you aside from the hot spots in each expansion that also had level increases. I will share one fun fact... I rolled a DE but decided for personal and "RP" purposes I was 'good'. So, I leveled a lil, made my way to Gfay... and managed to become non-KOS with many of the NPCs there after leveling in Crushbone, etc. Of course now the guards in Neriak still hate me but at Lv. 105 I just blast them to death :)

I didn't start using MQ2 until I was current max level (105) so I have no good stories about how that helped me.

To get to 75, I stand around in POK for several months at lag pile, then when I'm ready I buy heroic upgrade for my toon because leveling up thru the 60's makes my PTSD flare up

Last time I did the PoK mission vendor by the main bank. I took my sk, and put a shield, and a stein in his main hand, pulled the whole zone, and came back to the corner before the zone in. I then casted terror 3-4 times. I then zoned into the instance, popped lesson of the devoted or an exp pot casted my TDS ring, casted an insta click ds on my sk, and chain sat down. They all died very quickly within 10-15 seconds the first time. By the time that was over I was around level 25 on the first one. ( may have been a double xp weekend ). Then I zoned out, and rinsed and repeated. Just make sure to not zone the toon with the lesson/XP potion back in until you are ready to cast your aoe. I believe there was a level requirement introduced on it now, but the TDS craft ring used to have an ae, and the first cast literally killed all the mobs in the zone for you if the higher level trained them all to the corner. You basically one shot everything around you it was so powerful. I believe it takes close to 8-10 runs of this. First one hit me from 1-25, second roughly hit me to 35, after that I hit 41, 46, 51, and then rougly 5 levels a piece after that until almost 70.

Are you sure the lowbie was not grouped with a higher level character? When that happened in the past, the higher level would get the xp and the lowbie would get none.

You know what... that may have happened. I had my guy grouped with a toon for invis and may have forgot to drop him.

Favorite way back in the day, was good ole fungi tunic and paludal caverns, nothing beats those days.... then I evolved to pulling complete zones with a higher level SK... and do the dance! For those not familiar... the Sit/Stand dance you would see when someone was disconnecting. Gold old fashioned disco dance! :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/comments/4eai9y/xegony_1_to_7075ish_in_an_hour_or_so/

Looks like the Lichen Creep quests being accessible at lvl 1 is on the street (if it wasn't already). I know dev's pop into that subreddit sometimes, so it'll be interesting to see if action is taken. Then again, this section of the site is open to anyone who registers, too, so lol... guess it's on the street one way or another!

Guess I should hook it up this weekend and get a bunch of toons started so at least I'm not starting from square one! :)

Or I can just win this wizard so I don't have to do any of that and I can just slide him into the last available spot in my group! The cleric merc is a little redundant to my actual (well, botted) cleric ;-)

Fastest way I've been able to do is,

Log on my 100 Shadow knight
Create free account with a bard.
Start the toon I want to level, let's say a zerker.
Group him with the bard get level 2 fast in crescent reach. Buy the bard level 2 AoE damage song. Go to pok and get the task for hatchery wing. All 3 toon get the task but sk stays out of group. ZoNE all 3 toons inside. Leave bard and zerker at entrance. Swarm all the mobs in the zone with sk unbuffed. Bring to entrance and AoE taunt with sk a few times. Play bard AoE damage song. Cast ds clickies plus ds spell on sk and spam the sit button. Boom your levels with spam in one instant. I can go from 1-60 in about 1 hour. Then I swarm the grounds with the level grouped with my sk and will get 75 in about 1 to 2 hours tops. So 1-75 3 hours. I do it daily for people.

Thank you

~1-10 - Tutorial is ok,but im oldschool, run from one side of Antonica to the other completing any quests possible along the way, and/or killing anything that isnt KoS and super RED. Doing this at night is esepcially fun when you are going through Kithicor forest as you cant see a thing and you squeel like a school girl when you hear zombies and skelies coming after you, (wear some towels around your pants as you will wet yourself in fear or laughter, and your higher level friend will piss themself laughing as they watch you trying to walk around with no torches or night vision), Misty Thicket, Befallen, NRo, trying to farm materials for crafting
~10-15 - Blackburrow, Runny Eye Citadel, and runing through Oasis of marr without getting clobbered by the Sand Giants and giggling like a school girl when youget to close to the spectres or aqua goblins trying to complete the staff of the wheel quest (even when you arent a wizard and are doing the quest as a bard or druid with your wizard friend for the fun of it), trying to farm materials for crafting
~15-25 - SolA, Lguk (bags) High Pass - TRAAIIN!!! trying to farm materials for crafting
~25-35 - Iceclad ocean, Icewell keep and Crystal caverns trying to farm materials for crafting
~35-45 - Everfrost & Permafrost, trying to farm materials for crafting
~45-55 - Karnors Castle & Sebilis, doing 500 runs due to droppage or because other guys of same class scored the loot trying to farm materials for crafting
~55-60 - DN, veshan and velks were a bitch with their traps that would get set off and a nightmare to try and solo ( was trying to complete quests like mask of drakonic enhancement trying to farm materials for crafting

All of the levels of 60 and below running around finding mats for crafting, bags from the rare bag droppers (like luclin), and items with triggerable affects like grim aura, flight of eagles, etc....

~60-68 - Planes were sometimes fun, like in thunder where everyone went off to their corners to fight specific mobs they wanted and would yell out to other people when they found stuff they didnt want,, and then you had to try to get to them without causing a giant train (double meaning). but god i hated plain of disease lol, trying to farm materials for crafting
~68-75 - Sverag, and going back to solo previous bosses used to be affraid of and/or couldnt get on raids for, super fun going in to Kael Drakkel to solo or 2 man the bosses that used to wipe us all the time.

With the new crafting and questing methods, leveling your, level, and your crafting is so much better and easier and not having to sit there with your lucky charms and rabbits foot (both IRL and in game/character), crossing uyour fingers, toes, legs and chanting the mantra "please dont fail, please dont fail, please dont fail" after having gotten every single buff possible (een some that werent needed just in case the luck gods liked your enthusiasm for trying, hoping to not fail on the super rare item that you spent 200 hours camping for.... with new recipes and and mats list can farm the easier to find items such as pelts and level up through that and then silks and rarer items, and then go and do the many many crafting quests.

I so miss the days of legitimately being scared to death or almost peeing my pants when something scared/surprised me, gone of the days of running and hitting the jump button to give you that little added momentum to get away from the big scary monster/train.

oh, and dont get me started on the /follow command! allowing you to leave the keyboard to go to the toilet or grab something to eat after sitting for 15 hours straight waiting for the cyclops to appear in OOT :O (i actually fell asleep one time after camping it for ages with my friend yelling down the phone that it had spawned, he had killed it and it was going to rot lol! ( this was before team speak had been invented)
Was super sad when i lost my bard, i think he was level 5 or 15, with FULL lambent AND singing steel armour and singing steel sword....

How do you guys who level a toon up to 75 and then start AA'ing before doing any autogrant stuff figure out which AA's to concentrate on while the bonus is maxed?

Well, autogrant doesn't work on tradeskill AA,not sure what else last that

Heh, when my first ever character was banned because I told a GM I wanted to meet him in a dark alley, (After our guild Wiped in Fear and I was bound in FV and we had to spend ALL NIGHT on a CR, just to forget I had a final in the morning... which I prompty barely passed) I kind of gave up on EQ.

And ever since then, ive bought and sold more Accounts than I can count, Ironically enough, Not a one has ever been to level 75. They were 60 or 65 back in PoP/GoD days when I was hard into it.

Or now they are 85 Heroics!

So I can honestly say, I've never personally dinged a character to 75!

Favorite way back in the day, was good ole fungi tunic and paludal caverns, nothing beats those days.... then I evolved to pulling complete zones with a higher level SK... and do the dance! For those not familiar... the Sit/Stand dance you would see when someone was disconnecting. Gold old fashioned disco dance! :)

Oh the good old days of Russian Roulette: zone into Paludal and wait for either a zone to load or a corpse, SO many trains!

~1-10 - Tutorial is ok,but im oldschool, run from one side of Antonica to the other completing any quests possible along the way, and/or killing anything that isnt KoS and super RED. Doing this at night is esepcially fun when you are going through Kithicor forest as you cant see a thing and you squeel like a school girl when you hear zombies and skelies coming after you, (wear some towels around your pants as you will wet yourself in fear or laughter, and your higher level friend will piss themself laughing as they watch you trying to walk around with no torches or night vision), Misty Thicket, Befallen, NRo, trying to farm materials for crafting
~10-15 - Blackburrow, Runny Eye Citadel, and runing through Oasis of marr without getting clobbered by the Sand Giants and giggling like a school girl when youget to close to the spectres or aqua goblins trying to complete the staff of the wheel quest (even when you arent a wizard and are doing the quest as a bard or druid with your wizard friend for the fun of it), trying to farm materials for crafting
~15-25 - SolA, Lguk (bags) High Pass - TRAAIIN!!! trying to farm materials for crafting
~25-35 - Iceclad ocean, Icewell keep and Crystal caverns trying to farm materials for crafting
~35-45 - Everfrost & Permafrost, trying to farm materials for crafting
~45-55 - Karnors Castle & Sebilis, doing 500 runs due to droppage or because other guys of same class scored the loot trying to farm materials for crafting
~55-60 - DN, veshan and velks were a bitch with their traps that would get set off and a nightmare to try and solo ( was trying to complete quests like mask of drakonic enhancement trying to farm materials for crafting

All of the levels of 60 and below running around finding mats for crafting, bags from the rare bag droppers (like luclin), and items with triggerable affects like grim aura, flight of eagles, etc....

~60-68 - Planes were sometimes fun, like in thunder where everyone went off to their corners to fight specific mobs they wanted and would yell out to other people when they found stuff they didnt want,, and then you had to try to get to them without causing a giant train (double meaning). but god i hated plain of disease lol, trying to farm materials for crafting
~68-75 - Sverag, and going back to solo previous bosses used to be affraid of and/or couldnt get on raids for, super fun going in to Kael Drakkel to solo or 2 man the bosses that used to wipe us all the time.

With the new crafting and questing methods, leveling your, level, and your crafting is so much better and easier and not having to sit there with your lucky charms and rabbits foot (both IRL and in game/character), crossing uyour fingers, toes, legs and chanting the mantra "please dont fail, please dont fail, please dont fail" after having gotten every single buff possible (een some that werent needed just in case the luck gods liked your enthusiasm for trying, hoping to not fail on the super rare item that you spent 200 hours camping for.... with new recipes and and mats list can farm the easier to find items such as pelts and level up through that and then silks and rarer items, and then go and do the many many crafting quests.

I so miss the days of legitimately being scared to death or almost peeing my pants when something scared/surprised me, gone of the days of running and hitting the jump button to give you that little added momentum to get away from the big scary monster/train.

oh, and dont get me started on the /follow command! allowing you to leave the keyboard to go to the toilet or grab something to eat after sitting for 15 hours straight waiting for the cyclops to appear in OOT :O (i actually fell asleep one time after camping it for ages with my friend yelling down the phone that it had spawned, he had killed it and it was going to rot lol! ( this was before team speak had been invented)
Was super sad when i lost my bard, i think he was level 5 or 15, with FULL lambent AND singing steel armour and singing steel sword....

This deserves redcents just for the thesis written about eq leveling

CR to upper guk to lower guk to Hatching a plan. Just so I didn't get burnt out heh.

If I don't have a favorite way can I still be entered?

I know doing those 3 quests in Brell's expansion gets a toon to level 50.

Its been a long time since I leveled up a toon.

Short answer: Forgotten Halls.

Long (ok, long LONG) answer... I'm bloody old school. Played in 99 (not P99), within a couple of years my friends had all long since moved on to better things. I got to 50 just when they raised the cap the first time. I took a break, playing other games until about 06 to 08 when I decided to try MQ2. Back then, there weren't alternative communities (or I either wasn't aware or didn't have trust). You compiled the code (hell I even dabbled with assisting with offsets). I was writing most of my own bot-types even though there were some bots out there. I didn't trust them, and knew I could write my own. None made notoriety, nor did I submit any. I was mainly relying on events and telnet as I had a Unix box on my network. My bots would broadcast things like 'Report' and all toons would respond with current HP and mana, then some code would decide to either pull or wait another rest cycle.

There were no mercs, so you had to group. I would put 3 to 4 toons together, including a healer. You can start FHalls at lvl 15 however I have found that the mobs spawn low (too low) until 21-22. FHalls is an instance zone that spawns (ish) according to your level (or grps lvl). It's an 'expedition' off of Nedaria's Landing. The instances last 6 hours. I would setup an instance before work, after work, and before crashing for the night, so 3 a day. It isn't fast compared to what others have posted, but I didn't know of any other way. I had heard of bone chips, but feared it was too public. In hindsight, pre-nerf-nerf, it woulda been worth it regardless *shrug*.

It takes just over a week to get to 75 (1 1/2 weeks?). 70 to 75 gets slow, good time to max AAs tho. Even though it's slower than many other strategies, it allows you to max your skills along the way so your toon isn't gimped when done. With MQ2Melee, you can set and reset (say for a monk) various skills to level up and they almost keep up with your exp progress. Now, it was always understood that after 55, if grp'd, the mobs would start to socially aggro (attack one, get 2 or 3). Otherwise, it's a safe place to level since you have your own instance (privacy-security), mobs are not aggro, and not social, small camp. You have to be cognizant of pathing though, say trying to run between rats and bats is impossible using MQ2 due to numerous ledges and angles on doorways etc.

Today, with mercs (and KA YAY - should fricken send Mas $100), you can solo from 22 to 75 (again 70 to 75 is slow). The rats or bats don't socially aggro if you are solo/molo so you can go beyond the 55 mark. The mobs spawn in 5 level increments, but not quite evenly divisible by 5 (mod?). What I mean is, between 21 and 26, the mob lvls are pretty constant. At 21 they are DB, White, and Yellow, so 20, 21, and 22. However they stay that range as you level until you hit the next 5-lvl increment (in this case 26) when they will spawn 25, 26, and 27 etc ad nauseum. This is AFK leveling folks. You have to occasionally get food and water (I had a DRU bound at entrance filled to the brim with iron rations and water, various Distillates (like alacrity, skinspikes and clarity). The loot is crap, you will get defiant armor for the lvl-range down from you just like everywhere else, and more than enough plat to handle your merc and any other expense. You'll make about 16pp a kill at least at the higher lvls (well, probably avg 5 to 10pp cause the 16 plat'ers aren't constant).

You have to restart the instance to get the mobs to spawn at the next increment higher if you lvl into the next range. Being 6 hour intervals though it kinda takes care of itself. I have recently used this method to raise a DRU, WAR and MNK to 75 so I can start a multi-box army. My mains are only 86 (old world SHM and heroic wizzy) so they will catch up quickly in Undershore and Icefall Glacier (which btw is worthy of mention - never ever saw anyone else in IFG). After the 06-08 MQ2 exploratory mission (damnit - almost a big word) I hadn't played until early this year. Again, YAY KA!!! Should kiss Mas right on the fuckin lips!

Ok, couple of misc things: set your pull radius to 100 'cause even if you have your MobsToPull ini set to rats, bats, you aint gonna cross over the hall between them. Haven't tried the mesh and MQ2Nav... Don't forget archery or throw, you can keep those up as you lvl. Use MQ2Melee for various skills and/or discs (when you get them) but realize, ppl often tell you to /melee save and /melee load but they don't tell you why. The why is, MQ2Melee gets bloody wonky if you don't. You can have certain skills set to on but some wont fire. Save and load peeps, save and load. If you want to skillup casting skills, use your KA ini creatively or you will have to skill them up afterwards (but melee skills can keep up with your lvling as can your main casting skills).

I hesitated to mention FHalls. It was a closely guarded secret among early adopters of MQ2 back in the day. This is a public-ish thread (just create an account?) and I didn't wanna draw any attention to it (although, as previously mentioned, there are way faster strategies now).

I avoided big words, left out any techno-babble, but damnit if it isn't coming across dry *sigh*. Fuck the typos, Ima leave em.

--- Edit ---

After a 6 hr session, check your bags. Godamnit if I dint fill up on bloody Innoruuk arrow hats or the ova-infused Erolissi Mar ornaments. And now the fuckin shamrocks! Use the /lootdestroy function peeps if you want your bags clean, it sets the ini once and for bloody all. After about lvl 60 or so you will start to rack in gems so have an extraplanar (but you have to plop at least one of a particular type in it so it starts stacking). Remember to use Scribe (should send him $$ too) to quickly obtain spells and discs between runs, I'd suggest every 5-10 lvls. Use the Magus to get to Nedaria's Landing, I can get new expedition and run back to stone-in (haha) in my sleep, no really, done it while asleep.

--- Edit ---

Keep thinking of more things... The mobs max at lvl 65, so getting to 70 is pretty easy but that's why it slows down 70 to 75. This is however a great time to pick skills that haven't been maxed as mobs will be LB. You can also consider dropping healer merc at this time since you will be taking less dmg, especially if you have upgraded your gear, at the cost of merc AA. At 71, using a merc since earliest lvl, I had 10 merc AA on my monk. Turning it off will cost a couple of points not gained, not sure how many...

Last edited:
Oh the good old days of Russian Roulette: zone into Paludal and wait for either a zone to load or a corpse, SO many trains!

This is precisely why Crushbone was so much fun back in the day! (screw phinny)

The Hard Way!
1-70 I did mostly as it was coming out forever ago, I remember killing mosquitoes in Echo or palludal?) Caverns because they died so nicely on my DS.. I remember OH SO MUCH farming acrylia on acrylia caverns and then named camping there because that shield sold pretty nicely in the baz. and then doing the grind to max level with a bard swarm kiting all of Halls of Hnonor, and xp group in Bastion of Thunder (and soloing with charm in BoT.... those were some memories)

I recall fondly the maaaaany night I spend grinding out AA's in the Plane of fire, all the friends i played with then, haven't played EQ in years ( /Sad) and then the whirlwind of GoD coming out and the utter disappointment i had in that xpac ( We had beaten TIME dammit)... the next time i played i think i went into the revamped splitpaw and owned that zone for a while, and maybe had gotten to the gyrospires or the big stompy robot to get to 75 ( I'm really sad I missed the big stompy robot xpac)

Contest April Contest: Win a 105 WIZ w/ max AA, rares. Tell us your favorite way to lvl 75.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back