• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Games - With Diablo 4 on the Horizon.. I wonder (1 Viewer)

vantix

RedCents
310¢
Diablo 4 comes out soon - How many of you take a break from EQ but always find yourselves drawn back to it?

I'm new to the EQ as a whole, but I feel drawn in like previous MMOs. I'm definitely going to get Diablo 4, and will probably sink a good deal of time into it, but I bet I end up back on EQ after a few weeks.. There is still so much to discover!

I'm not sure.. I will probably wait and see what it looks like.. I was a HUGE Diablo 1 fan, but sort of lost interest in the newer ones..

Hard pass.

I don't know if you are looking at D3 through rose-tinted glasses, but seriously, *fuck* that game.

Getting to level 60 was indeed fun, but once you hit Act 2 Inferno difficulty (or whatever they called it), the game sucked the life out of you. For those who don't remember or never played, Act 1 inferno wasn't too bad. The difficulty spike was manageable, and kinda fun, but once you fought the *first fucking enemy* on Act2, they would just 1 shot you. Acts 3/4 inferno were even more impossible. Skill level was completely moot - you absolutely had to have awesome gear.

So nearly the entire player base gets stuck grinding Infernal Act 1 non-stop, and never does any other content. At this point, you're lucky if you've ever even seen *ONE* legendary drop, and guaranteed it was garbage. So you spend basically all your time hitting "REFRESH" on the auction house, desperately trying to get better gear, because farming for stuff is vastly more inefficient.
And of course, one of the main issues - very few actual viable builds. Half the abilities etc were just garbage.
But the biggest issue IMO - all gear was basically exponential in power. You could have half decent gear, get one godlike item, and it would barely make a dent. But if you already had a nearly full set of godly stuff, every last inch makes a *massive* impact. So, you have streamers/rich people who just buy their gear and are able to handle the end game content.

Anyway, as most are aware, they fixed a lot of these issues, but the same mentality of "fuck the player, make them grind forever" remains.

Hard pass.

I don't know if you are looking at D3 through rose-tinted glasses, but seriously, *fuck* that game.

Getting to level 60 was indeed fun, but once you hit Act 2 Inferno difficulty (or whatever they called it), the game sucked the life out of you. For those who don't remember or never played, Act 1 inferno wasn't too bad. The difficulty spike was manageable, and kinda fun, but once you fought the *first fucking enemy* on Act2, they would just 1 shot you. Acts 3/4 inferno were even more impossible. Skill level was completely moot - you absolutely had to have awesome gear.

So nearly the entire player base gets stuck grinding Infernal Act 1 non-stop, and never does any other content. At this point, you're lucky if you've ever even seen *ONE* legendary drop, and guaranteed it was garbage. So you spend basically all your time hitting "REFRESH" on the auction house, desperately trying to get better gear, because farming for stuff is vastly more inefficient.
And of course, one of the main issues - very few actual viable builds. Half the abilities etc were just garbage.
But the biggest issue IMO - all gear was basically exponential in power. You could have half decent gear, get one godlike item, and it would barely make a dent. But if you already had a nearly full set of godly stuff, every last inch makes a *massive* impact. So, you have streamers/rich people who just buy their gear and are able to handle the end game content.

Anyway, as most are aware, they fixed a lot of these issues, but the same mentality of "fuck the player, make them grind forever" remains.
I heard about the extreme grindability of D3.. my brother inlaw played it to death.. and i think also ruined it for him after that too..

so is D4 following the same model? Is it going to be an online / connected thing again too?

I have completely lost faith in Blizzard as a company, they have continuously dropped the ball. I glanced at the D4 ads, and it took me less than a minute to realise two things; firstly, the cheapest "standard" edition is going to cost 70 euro, which is incredibly expensive. Secondly, and most importantly, I noticed that the more expensive "Ultimate edition" has something called an "Accelerated Seasonal Battle Pass Unlock". This is a HUGE red flag for me, and I fully expect the game to be full of pay to win microtransactions -- WHILE THE BASE GAME COSTS 70 EURO. Absolutely insane, fuck that company.

I played almost all Blizzard games religiously until about ~2021, including 15 years of Starcraft Brood war at a fairly high level, and I can confidently say that no amount of nostalgia will make me pay that company another cent.

I may try it out. I have a few friends who really liked D3 so if they jump in then I'll probably follow along just to hang with them and do the story line.

The diablo games in general are hard on my wrists so I can't just sit and grind for hours or I'll pay for it for days.

On the other hand if it looks like blizzard is making another cash grab with a ton of pay to win micro transactions like diablo immortal then it will be a hard pass.

If you're paying $70 up front you shouldn't be expected to dump $100's of dollars into pay to win crap.

Hard pass.

D3 was much easier than D2. Whole problem with D3 was the always on and auction house.

Last edited:
D3 was much easier than D2.
You definitely didn't play D3 *at launch*. Over-tuned isn't even the correct word - it was *impossible* w/out godlike gear. I rolled like 3 toons or so, all to level 60 with decent gear, and put in nearly ~100 hours of grinding, and I could never do *any* content in Act2. There was a glitch that allowed you access Acts 3/4, and it was absolutely insane. Elite mob groups where they all have invulnerability except the boss, literally the entire screen filled with lasers, where one second in them even with max resists will instantly kill you.

I also played D2 at launch too, which is way different the current version (not remastered). There were no immune to anything creatures, and no recast on frozen orb, and lance barbs with WW could just tear through everything. Stuff like pit viper den was tough, sure, but it was definitely winnable, especially with groups (Groups made D3 content wayyy more difficult). The dclone/trio in tristram were fun fights with a smite paladin. But the difficulty in any version of D2 will never come remotely close to what D3 was at launch.

You definitely didn't play D3 *at launch*. Over-tuned isn't even the correct word - it was *impossible* w/out godlike gear. I rolled like 3 toons or so, all to level 60 with decent gear, and put in nearly ~100 hours of grinding, and I could never do *any* content in Act2. There was a glitch that allowed you access Acts 3/4, and it was absolutely insane. Elite mob groups where they all have invulnerability except the boss, literally the entire screen filled with lasers, where one second in them even with max resists will instantly kill you.

I also played D2 at launch too, which is way different the current version (not remastered). There were no immune to anything creatures, and no recast on frozen orb, and lance barbs with WW could just tear through everything. Stuff like pit viper den was tough, sure, but it was definitely winnable, especially with groups (Groups made D3 content wayyy more difficult). The dclone/trio in tristram were fun fights with a smite paladin. But the difficulty in any version of D2 will never come remotely close to what D3 was at launch.
Well yeah... What sane person played D3 at launch with the AH fiasco? 🤣

I may try it out. I have a few friends who really liked D3 so if they jump in then I'll probably follow along just to hang with them and do the story line.

The diablo games in general are hard on my wrists so I can't just sit and grind for hours or I'll pay for it for days.

On the other hand if it looks like blizzard is making another cash grab with a ton of pay to win micro transactions like diablo immortal then it will be a hard pass.

If you're paying $70 up front you shouldn't be expected to dump $100's of dollars into pay to win crap.
The Pay to win "Battlepass" system scares me too, but from what I've read so far it should only be cosmetics.. Time will tell.

I'll probably end up playing both EQ and D4 at the same time. D4 definitely feels expensive, but I have so many RL friends that are going to play, and I haven't been able to convince them to try EQ.. yet!

D4 needs a lot of character development and work in order to get me to play that again. Was not impressed at all with D3 .

I would need to see great improvements in the game to get me to play that old thing again

If I bunch of my friends are playing it I might pick it up as something social to do, but otherwise I'm real reluctant. Blizzard has just fallen so far, I don't really have faith in their products nor do I really care to support them.

Blizzard has not been up to par with many of their releases in the recent years. I was a huge Starcraft and Warcraft fan back in the day. WoW changed all that. It bred a new breed of mindless Blizzard customers. I know a few personally myself that still hit new game launch day as if nothing else matters. One of my employees does this as well. Always submitting for a day off for "release day" and "Blizzcon". The people who will buy it because they are blindly brand loyal and because Blizzard is like a theme park draw these days. But to each their own. I cannot be too hard on them really as I have been guilty of being brand loyal to a fault sometimes myself in life. Blizzard is just riding the wave at this point. They have a proven track record. And it's being milked, until it can't anymore.

WHAT? You have a phone don't you? Remember that from Blizzcon a couple of years ago? Blizzard USED to be the best game company out there. But alas, all good things get corrupted and Blizzard certainly has. WoW made me quit EQ, and I played that for nearly 15 years sheesh. Then things started to change, got bought out by Activision is where the big changes came in. More greed, less good content. Now it's nothing but a cash grab. I refuse to give them 1 more dollar, I don't care how hyped it is. You guys that are gonna spend money on it better take a few minutes to look at some of the videos by gamers on Youtube. They are saying it is totally pay to win type game, and by the time you win they have thousands of your dollars...Fuck em!

Vrak

I hate anything that REQUIRES Steam to use or play. Kinda like I hate anything connected to Apple lol. That was my biggest annoyance with D3, steam. I didn't bother with the auction house just played til I got bored. Not addictive like EQ lol.

Diablo 4 comes out soon - How many of you take a break from EQ but always find yourselves drawn back to it?

I'm new to the EQ as a whole, but I feel drawn in like previous MMOs. I'm definitely going to get Diablo 4, and will probably sink a good deal of time into it, but I bet I end up back on EQ after a few weeks.. There is still so much to discover!
Is that not why plugins were invented...you CWTN WHILE you D4...

benedict cumberbatch please GIF by BBC

There are other games than EQ? I seem to remember that EQ has survived 3 other diablos. Play the game you want, not the game they want.
"Survived" is weird terminology. Diablo doesn't compete with EQ nor is it something where there's one clear winner. You can play both games simultaneously even.

It's like saying that Bulletin Board MUDs survived EQ because people still play them...

But I do agree with play the game you want.

"Survived" is weird terminology. Diablo doesn't compete with EQ nor is it something where there's one clear winner. You can play both games simultaneously even.

It's like saying that Bulletin Board MUDs survived EQ because people still play them...

But I do agree with play the game you want.
"Survived" is /sarcasm. 24 years on and its still here. The only thing in EQ that dies is TLP servers.

I was a great fan of Blizzard games and I was going to buy D4, but after Dragonflight and Diablo inmortal I will wait to see what other player say.
I don´t need to play the first day and to be the first to cap exp level and it seems Blizzard is going to sell us another bluff.

It sounds like the downfall started around the same time a long standing EQ employee jumped ship and went to Blizzard. Wonder if there's a connection and perhaps it was all for the good when she left. 😉

I was a great fan of Blizzard games and I was going to buy D4, but after Dragonflight and Diablo inmortal I will wait to see what other player say.
I don´t need to play the first day and to be the first to cap exp level and it seems Blizzard is going to sell us another bluff.

yep people just need to be more patient and hold off.. that will force a bit more QA on these companies... all this early access and stuff, people throwing money up front to play an alpha build, that never gets that much better.. Same goes with pc building... i just wait it out now..

I just dont get excited or hyped about anything anymore.. must be my old age.. Damn kids, get off my lawn!

The endless grind of chasing zeros for loot running through the same missions just isn't worth my time. At least with EQ I can enjoy applying some code/automation to the game. With D4 that's fairly limited unless you just go buy one of the turnkey things that run it auto for you, in which case what's the point?

The Diablo series is even worse because no matter how good you are, you can always bump up the difficulty another level and boom your back to sucking.

Games - With Diablo 4 on the Horizon.. I wonder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back