• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Windows 10 vs Windows 11 vs Linux OS (1 Viewer)

RedCents
8,297¢
Wanted to see who used what in terms of an OS here. I typically use a mixture of all of the types depending on what I do. Quite fond of Windows 11 as it stands right now. I know they are changing a lot here and there with recent patches. However, not bad so far I think. I like it about as much as Windows 10. Linux Ubuntu is my Linux OS of choice. But also use Mint as well.

Tell me what you use and why?

I use Windows 11 on my laptop. It's my daily driver because i'm most familiar with Windows. I have a desktop pc that has Proxmox as its base OS. Proxmox is a layer 1 hypervisor. You connect to it through web interface. It's specifically used for running VM's, containers, firewall, backup. I use the firewall (pfSense), TrueNAS for network storage. I have VM's of Kali and Ubuntu Linux and Windows 10 Pro. I have that setup to play around with networking and different operating system environments.

Win10 as main OS, mainly as my pc wont run Win11, happy enough with it.
I do run Macs though for video/photo editing etc
Played around with various distros of Linux on VMs but never switched as main and also a rasberry pi as my personal web server

I'm going to have a lot of trouble moving to Win11 if they never bring back the un-combine feature for the task bar. EQ/MQ is the main reason I've stayed with Win10 -- I box 6 and want to be able to see info in my EQ window titles just by glancing at the taskbar.

Multiple machines here, my main daily driver is a Ryzen 9 6900HX running 11Pro. Most of my other machines are still running 10Pro, which is still my favorite OS by a long shot!

I keep a Windows 8.1 machine running just for the hell of it and to remind me how effed up Microsoft can be at times. I also still have systems running Win7 and even WinXP although I rarely haul them out of their closet. Somewhere I still have Win95, Win98, and Win2000 VMs saved to disk but it's been at least 10 years since I fired one up.

I also have a Linux Mint machine which I mostly just use for disk partitioning using Gparted and disk cloning using DDrescue. It gets very little use since PCs just don't fail as often as they used to!

I'm going to have a lot of trouble moving to Win11 if they never bring back the un-combine feature for the task bar. EQ/MQ is the main reason I've stayed with Win10 -- I box 6 and want to be able to see info in my EQ window titles just by glancing at the taskbar.

Yep , dick move on MS part to remove that.. and with no good reason.. do it our way because!

I use Windows 11 but I've installed a 3rd party tool to allow me to keep my eq windows separated on the taskbar... Its called ExplorerPatcher.. can be found at https://github.com/valinet

An alternative if you had no choice but to move to Windows 11 in its current state...

Oh yeah, I hear you! It's disappointing when they completely remove features we rely on. And sometimes it's damn near impossible to find another happy way of doing things we are comfortable / efficient with!

Can't move to 11 so sticking with 10 for now

Is that because of the OS requirements to install it? Like TPM and such?

Yep , dick move on MS part to remove that.. and with no good reason.. do it our way because!

I use Windows 11 but I've installed a 3rd party tool to allow me to keep my eq windows separated on the taskbar... Its called ExplorerPatcher.. can be found at https://github.com/valinet

An alternative if you had no choice but to move to Windows 11 in its current state...
Gotta love the work arounds. But they should never just remove things. At least make it so options can be added back in or toggled? I understand that part of revising an OS is to trim it down for performance reasons, etc. But my God the hardware we can run these days really should make it a non-issue. On the other hand I suppose making it so that many variations of hardware can run an OS efficiently is also important. Can't sell those licenses just to power users huh? :shrug:

Gotta love the work arounds. But they should never just remove things. At least make it so options can be added back in or toggled? I understand that part of revising an OS is to trim it down for performance reasons, etc. But my God the hardware we can run these days really should make it a non-issue. On the other hand I suppose making it so that many variations of hardware can run an OS efficiently is also important. Can't sell those licenses just to power users huh? :shrug:

yep totally agree..

Yeah if I can avoid a 3rd party workaround I will, but if Windows 12 doesn't have it or if Windows 10 goes EOL before Windows 11 gets it then I'll have to make due. I try not to drag my feet on adopting newer versions of software but this one's a real sticking point for me unfortunately, and I don't have any particularly compelling reasons to move to 11 anyway.

Yeah if I can avoid a 3rd party workaround I will, but if Windows 12 doesn't have it or if Windows 10 goes EOL before Windows 11 gets it then I'll have to make due. I try not to drag my feet on adopting newer versions of software but this one's a real sticking point for me unfortunately, and I don't have any particularly compelling reasons to move to 11 anyway.

yeah if you can stick with what you have and it works well, I wouldnt recommend moving either!

Windoze 12.. VM Edge browser on a thin client.... /cringe

I have a mix of everything, but most of my devices are Windows 11. I don't have any Windows 10 left. My Linux distro is Ubuntu, but only because it seems to have the best support in WSL and I got tired of having to do extra things to get it to work. Servers I use Ubuntu and Server 2022. I have a mac for home and a mac for work, but the one for home is the x86 and the one for work is m1.

My Linux distro is Ubuntu, but only because it seems to have the best support in WSL and I got tired of having to do extra things to get it to work.
I've always been a big Centos fan and have switched to Oracle Linux (mostly 8.6 now) on WSL on all my Windows machines. Works well for all my needs and is available directly from the Microsoft Store.

Wanted to see who used what in terms of an OS here. I typically use a mixture of all of the types depending on what I do. Quite fond of Windows 11 as it stands right now. I know they are changing a lot here and there with recent patches. However, not bad so far I think. I like it about as much as Windows 10. Linux Ubuntu is my Linux OS of choice. But also use Mint as well.

Tell me what you use and why?
I use a mixture of Windows Server 2019 and a Parallels VM of Windows 10 on macOS. Someday I'll switch the Windows Server 2019 machine over to Ubuntu, but for now it works.

I've always been a big Centos fan and have switched to Oracle Linux (mostly 8.6 now) on WSL on all my Windows machines. Works well for all my needs and is available directly from the Microsoft Store.
I was a huge Centos fan, it was my primary distro for a very long time and worked well since most enterprises I worked at ran RedHat - so the knowledge was pretty transferable. But then they decided to move it upstream and offered "you can have 16 stable licenses for free" and it really bothered me. Plus, every time I would search for something it would be like "Oh, yeah, that's a problem with <insert RedHat based distro here>" and "On ubuntu, you just do this."

I was a huge Centos fan, it was my primary distro for a very long time and worked well since most enterprises I worked at ran RedHat - so the knowledge was pretty transferable. But then they decided to move it upstream and offered "you can have 16 stable licenses for free" and it really bothered me. Plus, every time I would search for something it would be like "Oh, yeah, that's a problem with <insert RedHat based distro here>" and "On ubuntu, you just do this."

yeah we use RH primarily on any of our server clusters.. They provide that enterprise support.. but for at home... yeah I think Ubuntu has come a long way and is probably the most "non-linux-user" user friendly..

For the ease of playing games, i just keep running windows on my gaming rig, but I sure am tempted to just break down and build a linux box for gaming.. which would basically need to run EQ/MQ haha

Yeah, TPM, video card and CPU give it fits
I used an image that I created from the original installation media tool, less the check for requirements. And so far it works well. If you're interested enough, there are a couple of write ups for it. There is also a write up signaling how to do this during installation as well.

Windows 11 Requirements Bypass

Additionally, there might be a nag screen post install if you don't use a modified image. You can get rid of it with a simple reg modification as seen here

Windows 11 Requirement Nag Stop

I'm using win 11 pro with no issues....so far at least. But question is the uncombined an issue, or just something that y'all prefer?

I'm using win 11 pro with no issues....so far at least. But question is the uncombined an issue, or just something that y'all prefer?

For me I consider it an actual issue. I use the /setwintitle command to display relevant information in a few different ways, so I can see when I need to spend AAs, which boxes are zoning, things like that. The functionality probably exists with some luas (like BoxHUD) but I'm a creature of habit and it seems silly to discontinue the feature. It's also nice to have the info right on my taskbar when I'm working and not paying specific attention to EQ but just wanna glance down and see quick info about my crew.

Discussion - Windows 10 vs Windows 11 vs Linux OS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back