• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - "What Should I expect on Patch Day?" (1 Viewer)

Gekko

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
4,554¢
Hi all,

I used the search function with keywords "patch day" and did not see much except patch notes so I thought I would put up this thread for new folks so we can set expectations accordingly.

I realize that the folks here at Red Guides need to assess the code and check interactions with the EQ Client but overall I was hoping Red Guides veterans could share past experiences so that we newer Red Guides members have a feeling as to what to expect. For example:

1) Do patches make VV totally unusable?
2) What has typically been broken in the past?
3) etc etc

I realize no one has a crystal ball so to predict exactly what will go wrong is impossible. I just wanted to start an open conversation/dialogue regarding patch day past experiences,

Be well. Happy gaming.

Solution
yes. when eq patches MQ has to be rebuilt.

once mq is built RG can build - we usually try and test stuff first.

eq could change literally everything requiring any and everything to be rebuilt but usually not the case. it is normally just offsets, sometimes struct changes --- with the large changes eq has been making over the past few months (updates and backend improvements) there are more things than just offset changes that are happening, so it can certainly be a lot of work for the devs.

Curious when Very Vanilla will be updated? You'll get a web notification (if we have permission), site notification, and email (optional)
MacroQuest for Live servers:
Use this URL to get notified...

eq could change literally everything requiring any and everything to be rebuilt but usually not the case. it is normally just offsets, sometimes struct changes --- with the large changes eq has been making over the past few months (updates and backend improvements) there are more things than just offset changes that are happening, so it can certainly be a lot of work for the devs.

Curious when Very Vanilla will be updated? You'll get a web notification (if we have permission), site notification, and email (optional)
Use this URL to get notified:
https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/very-vanilla-mq-live-servers.1974/watch
MacroQuest for Test server
https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/very-vanilla-mq-test-server.2218/watch

EQ patches go like this: (in theory)
2nd* tue/wed = test "real" patch
3rd* wed = live patch
4th* tue/wed = test "true up

the tue over the wed is a more recent thing (suspect klanderso has more to do with that, and having time to ensure working stuff before the weekend and upset people - klanderso is pretty awesome)
* holidays subject to cause shifts in days or even week

test is notorious for being like "oops we forgot the 'dont crash plz' file, gotta patch again", or "woops we added +1 to crashing, we meant -1", so "on paper" it is double the patches, but very frequently ends up being more than double the work (i imagine, I'm not doing the work - I'd love to learn enough at some point to help facilitate doing so, however)

Mq itself is open source and by volunteer(s) - RG which builds and distributes that is obviously paid for.
If you wanted to show your appreciation to the MQ devs for their volunteer work:

Tip the MQ Developers HERE:
brainiac:
https://www.redguides.com/tip/brainiac
Reply to this thread after donating for your 🧠
dannuic:
Reply to this thread after for your :dannuic:

Solution

Use this URL to get notified:
https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/very-vanilla-mq-live-servers.1974/watch
MacroQuest for Test server
https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/very-vanilla-mq-test-server.2218/watch
Is there an estimate for the mq2 update for the test server? I think the mismatch warning says that mq2 test is from Aug 8. Also I am a noob but really enjoy your content and videos. Thanks, Sic.

Is there an estimate for the mq2 update for the test server? I think the mismatch warning says that mq2 test is from Aug 8. Also I am a noob but really enjoy your content and videos. Thanks, Sic.
There is not, there is almost never an estimated time. They did another test patch off schedule, so it makes sense that the mq devs weren't able to plan on patching. It'll certainly be patched and updated as soon as it can be

Question - "What Should I expect on Patch Day?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back