• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - What Live server to play? (1 Viewer)

TheEld3r

RedCents
389¢
As the title states, which Live server should you play when returning? Think of the mindset of all new accounts that you would need to level and AA on after autogrant's. So, from fresh spawn to the new expansion. I am guessing there is going to be a lot of input for FV because everything is tradeable and the largest player base from what I have been reading, along with the exp boost. But any other recommendations? Thinking about getting back into Live as maybe a 6 box max but I would like to do raiding as well eventually.

Unless you're adamantly against free trade, there is not much to argue against for FV. Free trade, XP bonus, high player count, and a strong (if inflated) economy. There's a lot of ways to make plat on FV as a lower level too, especially a boxer, since you can take advantage of selling items from early raids. If you're persistent about clearing your DZs it's not challenging to earn enough to buy krono also, but just need to put in some work for it.

Moved to FV for free trade. Went to 7th hammer and found a reseller for all my bloodied gear used my unbinding loyalty items (been buying them every time i max 5k and pretty much bought raid gear from 1-105 for 2 groups . and will be able to reuse that gear for the other groups. huge difference.

If you play on FV with the tradables you will never go back. The reason you can't transfer off FV is that you can MQ most pieces of your 2.0 Epics and get the whole things in a day or two. You can accumulate crazy gear you would never get on another server. My tenth best armored toon is TOL! or better. Can you say that on your other servers? And I am NOTHING, small time. FV is the way to go. PLus I can PL you from 90 to 110 or higher if you want. And help out with gear.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I never cared for the idea behind FV. As far as epics go, any 2.0 can be accomplished in a day with the character levels now. Would I like the top raid gear, of course. Would I feel like an idiot playing a toon with the best gear and not knowing what I am doing, hell yes. Those would make some pretty cool bazaar toons though. To each his/her own......

It's all a matter of personal preference. I never cared for the idea behind FV. As far as epics go, any 2.0 can be accomplished in a day with the character levels now. Would I like the top raid gear, of course. Would I feel like an idiot playing a toon with the best gear and not knowing what I am doing, hell yes. Those would make some pretty cool bazaar toons though. To each his/her own......
I can't speak for the other idiots on FV but this particular idiot really likes hunting level appropriate mobs in his level appropriate gear.

I use to play on Tunare ( still do sometimes with my box crew there ), but FV is the way to go, After playing on FV it's really hard to go back to servers where almost everything is No Trade. It however can be fun for a bit playing on a server that is No Trade.

Oh yeah my current bazaar toon is wearing 24th Anniversary Raid Leggings! Why? Because I can! I played on no drop servers for ten years. From Kunark until I stepped away. So I have experience with both. For me the people who bitch about FV are just sour grapes. you know why my Cleric has 24th Anniversary Leggings and A Bard I'm about to PL has a pair waiting on him? I could afford them. If you can't afford to play on FV you bitch about it.

as one previous poster has mentioned test is best if you ask my opinion. all the perks they mentioned but the biggest one is actually the small population it allows you two have a little more peace of mind. as for raids there are a few of us on test who box raids at all different levels of content.

and the above poster mentions fv ... great thing about FV is if you main on test you only have to buy something once on that server than you can copy it to test every 8 hrs to all your toons!

just some food for thought

I love how people who have never played on FV find fault in it. I played on a traditional server for 10 years. I've done both. I certainly don't miss having a bank full of no drop stuff that I should have been able to flip for something once I outgrew it. I prefer FV in case that wasn't clear.

If you play on FV with the tradables you will never go back. The reason you can't transfer off FV is that you can MQ most pieces of your 2.0 Epics and get the whole things in a day or two. You can accumulate crazy gear you would never get on another server. My tenth best armored toon is TOL! or better. Can you say that on your other servers? And I am NOTHING, small time. FV is the way to go. PLus I can PL you from 90 to 110 or higher if you want. And help out with gear.
Hmm...you can do your whole 2.0 epic in a day if you know what you're doing...

I love how people who have never played on FV find fault in it. I played on a traditional server for 10 years. I've done both. I certainly don't miss having a bank full of no drop stuff that I should have been able to flip for something once I outgrew it. I prefer FV in case that wasn't clear.
Don't want you to think I dislike FV. Was just wondering what else was there besides that. FV is a great server I've played for many years in the past. I was just curious of everyone's opinions.

Don't want you to think I dislike FV. Was just wondering what else was there besides that. FV is a great server I've played for many years in the past. I was just curious of everyone's opinions.
If you've played on FV with the tradable items the full bazaar compared to other servers and the thriving economy, for me there's nothing else out there.

Been on Tunare for years and the two incarnations it was before that, 7th Hammer and Lany's. Its a friendly server, lots of helpful folks.

But just last week started helping a friend on FV and my head is spinning! What is this!! All these riches!! Its like being Brittney Spears getting released from conservatorship and everything out there is a smorgasbord!!!

Either Firiona Vie or Test are good choices. Here's the pros and cons for both FV and Test:

Firiona Vie server:
  • Nearly every item can be traded.
  • Most populated Live server by far. (Enough people and guilds for grouping late-game)
  • Faster leveling rates.
  • Roleplay I guess if you're into that, since it's an RP server.
  • Free account status, you have to subscribe if you want all access. Here's a post explaining each account status effects. (biggest con, really)
  • Lots of people. (many spots and creatures may be camped often)
  • Less box friendly environment.
Test server:
  • Free GOLD membership status, access to everything and advantages. (excluding the last expansion if you haven't bought it)
  • Faster leveling rates.
  • Low population. (You have the whole world for yourself to mess around in)
  • Players give their millions of platinum and gear away for free, since everything can be duplicated with the /testcopy command.
  • Box-friendly environment. (Test is a big sandbox for testing stuff, no one cares what you do here.)
  • /testbuff command lets you skip to level 25 with a few bags containing starter gear.
  • Can be down slightly more often than Live servers for maintenance.
  • Low population. (there's a couple guilds here but you're better off to FV if you want to group late-game).
  • Regular loot rules are in effect (what is NO TRADE, applies as it is.)

Personally I prefer Test for having more leeway in whatever I wanna do long-term, with all the advantages it gives.

Last edited:
Test is NOT a no rules server, and some people still think it's their job to record and report you to GMs. Boxes are fine, MQ is still not allowed.
Test also has regular live server loot rules, as in what is NO TRADE on live is NO TRADE on test.
The nice thing is most everything you see in the bazaar will sell for 1 platinum and often less.

Bristlebane has a solid population. Enough to lag the crap out of me in POK anyway. There is still a decent market as well. If I throw defiant gear ona bazaar toon, it sells, so people are still levelling.

This may be too late is the original post was several weeks ago.

Do you want to be a small fish in a big pond (FV) or a big fish in a small pond ( Test or other live servers ). Many raiding guilds are struggling to find players who want to raid. You might consider taking time to ask around on the server and try to find ones that are going to make your play times.

The other consideration is lag. Some servers are known for how laggy their raids are. AB and Xelgony for instance.

My bad regarding the loot rules on Test, I thought it was the same as FV. So ignore that line. The rest is accurate (afaik).

Test is down more often than all other live servers and the MQ program is down more than live servers. But trade off for that is you get free gold and free paid plugins.

For me its basically about 2 servers, and its pretty redundant. FV or TEST.

After I quit playing live, I messed around on TEST for a couple of years and honestly, its pretty great if you don't want bothered much. Its pretty empty, but the people that do play mostly box, a lot, and if you need a hand most people help. People will happily give you millions of plat without issues simply because there is no market there. Most things are test copied over including plat. You will be as rich as you need to be on that server.

Now if I remember right about test, you don't get ALL expansions, you get everything except the last "2" expansions, same as all access / gold. Someone that still plays on test can confirm, but I think you don't get the newest 2 for free.

FV is all about the economy and most everything being tradable. This is good and bad. Its good because you can just sell a krono, and basically buy almost anything you want. It's bad because most everything is overpriced. If you get a chance you can immediately see, even newbie gear / lowend defiant will cost thousands of plat. There are people out there that will just give it away to you though, and this is great for someone who is starting truey new to the server OR Everquest in general.

Im currently on FV, but only focusing on finalizing my box crew AAs. Only have a few days left to do that, so once the play time runs out, ill be more focused on obtaining better gear. My current crew is only 115 and will stay that way until the next expansion is available for purchase. But after this week, ill be doing a lot more missions and strategy based playing, but for now, i'm grinding, at least until next week, or my guys are all max AA.

Discussion - What Live server to play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back