• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - What is your ISP Speed? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
7,735¢
I was wondering who had what service, and how fast is your ISP connection to the net. I, unfortunately, am stuck with the maximum of 1GB connection through a cable provider. That's what I get for needing to live semi rural, lol. It's a fairly stable connection once I used my own modem. (they gave me a pretty shitty piece of equipment with the service). I get around 30-40ms ping times to the EQ servers. And enough bandwidth to reliably stay connected to all of my online services like streaming to my office.

But I am quite envious of some people and their net connection speeds. I just want to drool a bit.

:D :dance: :)

I was wondering who had what service, and how fast is your ISP connection to the net. I, unfortunately, am stuck with the maximum of 1GB connection through a cable provider. That's what I get for needing to live semi rural, lol. It's a fairly stable connection once I used my own modem. (they gave me a pretty shitty piece of equipment with the service). I get around 30-40ms ping times to the EQ servers. And enough bandwidth to reliably stay connected to all of my online services like streaming to my office.

But I am quite envious of some people and their net connection speeds. I just want to drool a bit.

:D :dance: :)
Pretty lucky here

1677725287422.png

From my gateway test I got 959.6 Mbps down and 23.5 Mbps up. Up sucks compared to down but I don't upload too much so I'm good with that.

Honestly i never checked if it was fiber or not. But if it was should be over 1G up and down. Most places are getting fiber now so thank you for reminding me to check lol
Yeah for me, the cable provider is Spectrum. And it's 1GB Down and 40MB UP. Yeah...MB. lol. But no other options up here unfortunately.

Farkk..I am envious of your speeds.

I have 50Mbps Downlaod/5 Mbps Upload and 250ms ping time.

It shouldnt really be a huge factor though - last time i looked each instance of EQ is about 500Kbps so have GB is like having a 1000 lane highway and your just driving to work in your little car.

Bask in the small, rural Midwest, local provider glory. I get about 19 mbps download on a good day. They are upgrading to fiber, finally, but we're still a few months out.

1677729706901.png

Please tell me the OP is being facetious moaning about "only" gigabit connection. Can't be that rural. Try not having cell signal whatsoever. Or cable refusing to run lines down your road. We have fiber... supposedly...installed since covid, but cable 15yrs ago would be a lot faster than this.

Worse though, before we had satellite that throttled to 56k after 10gigs a month, plus 1000ms latency.

There is nothing 1Gb service can't handle cept a server farm.

Last edited:
23 ping, 928 down and 282 up from Nova in New Zealand. Not complaining here :)
Not sure how to get speedtest to ping the EQ servers tho...

AT&T Fiber

Ping 18.4
Download 46 Mbps
Upload 44 Mbps

Been with AT&T since DSL was a thing and they've upgraded the network plans a bunch of times. Looks like they are throttling my connect to 50 up / down which I haven't found too bad. The only time I've really noticed it is when the blizzard games decide they need to patch.

PS. I don't torrent files/movies so really not much of a load most of the time. Couple normal 1080p video streams from netflix or youtube.

Last edited:
1677742020931.png

I'd love to be on fiber, but honestly not sure if I'd actually be able to tell a difference or not. I worry about my upload bandwidth, but rarely do my Plex users ever complain, and that's the only real potential concern I've got. We've got a ton of PCs/TVs/etc in this house streaming stuff all the time, but never have download bandwidth issues either.

It is just amazing really....When I was a youngin - Playing Ultima Onlina on my 28000 baud modem from Australia - we had a 900 ms ping time. If you ever played Ultima Online - there is a lot of PVP.
This was impossible for me because by the time you could see the opponent on your screen - he had actually run around behind you and hit you 15 times in the back.

This is one of the reasons I moved to EQ - it was all PVE - so having really bad latency didnt effect the game play - Much.

1677756795916.png
Stream in 1440p and download np with my connection. So it's adequate for my needs.

1677756852315.png

At one point we only had dial up on my road. Took us 3 years to of bugging the shit out of time warner to get them to run a cable down our road for us to have proper internet. Even then it was Time Warner, so the speeds were like 15 down, 5 up and you paid like $80 a month for that. Then spectrum took over. Now I'm not displeased with my internet at all.

I get 300 using spectrum and 100 using xfinity. I have a home in the country that was using phone line service. It sucked. I called spectrum about getting cable internet service, they wanted 18,000 to run the line 4 miles down the road. Talked to a buddy that worked for spectrum business. He says, call spectrum business and tell them you want cable for your home business. Called spectrum business and they came out a week later and installed business class internet. Cost me about 120.00 a month. After the first year contract at the introductory priced, I cancelled and went with Spectrum Home service. Now all four of my neighbors within a mile have Spectrum internet.

Bask in the small, rural Midwest, local provider glory. I get about 19 mbps download on a good day. They are upgrading to fiber, finally, but we're still a few months out.

View attachment 46790
I'm also rural (as in I live out in the middle of nowhere on a farm) Midwest. No fiber / cable available and won't be for the foreseeable future. We use LTD Broadband. I'm thankful we can get SOMETHING that isn't horrible satellite...and it's unlimited...but I pay $95 a month for it and the customer service is really terrible.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 071640.jpg

I'm also rural (as in I live out in the middle of nowhere on a farm) Midwest. No fiber / cable available and won't be for the foreseeable future. We use LTD Broadband. I'm thankful we can get SOMETHING that isn't horrible satellite...and it's unlimited...but I pay $95 a month for it and the customer service is really terrible.

View attachment 46804
Same here, way out with the coyotes and no dedicated roads that any cable company in their right mind would come down because all their hard work would get washed away in the next moonsoon.

But some of us do have Century Link DSL which I am too ashamed of to post the speeds. There are satellite options but they all go out with the wind or the towers are always being worked on and some folks use their cell phones - the cell phone get good connections apparently.

Personally I can run my 6-8 accounts or more with no lag, have quite a few other things running at the same time so its ok. But Star link is in my area - have to weigh paying $45 a month now or $120 to Elon.

5 miles from the phone line office... This or sattelite.

Yeah, I would not hesitate to get with Star Link. If they are not in your area you can sign up for the "mobile" option which is what they offer for folks who travel in motor homes etc and then you just switch plans next month. It allows you to get the equipment in some areas without the wait time. You have to do the install and like I mentioned above its about $120 a month but has excellent reviews

I get 300 using spectrum and 100 using xfinity. I have a home in the country that was using phone line service. It sucked. I called spectrum about getting cable internet service, they wanted 18,000 to run the line 4 miles down the road. Talked to a buddy that worked for spectrum business. He says, call spectrum business and tell them you want cable for your home business. Called spectrum business and they came out a week later and installed business class internet. Cost me about 120.00 a month. After the first year contract at the introductory priced, I cancelled and went with Spectrum Home service. Now all four of my neighbors within a mile have Spectrum internet.
Wow they wanted us to pay $74,000 to run it 1 mile down the road and that was with the state paying them an incentive to expand coverage. They lost that incentive lol. This was with 14 households to connect too.

Verizon just showed up one day and started running fiber down the road, though I think they said it wasn't like real FiOS and by our speeds I'd agree, but I can play on it. Couldn't play on satellite, could barely get on or chat lol. My in-game netbar was showing 2398ms on satellite now it shows 83 with Verizon. I can live with that.

Ok this is what I got but not what we actually get when downloading etc..that's more like 3-5MBps(not Mbps as they measure speed but MBps as PCs measure file transfer, so 24-40Mbps) as a comparison on satellite my dl speed was average 42kBps
Screenshot_20230302-120147.png

Wow they wanted us to pay $74,000 to run it 1 mile down the road and that was with the state paying them an incentive to expand coverage. They lost that incentive lol. This was with 14 households to connect too.

Verizon just showed up one day and started running fiber down the road, though I think they said it wasn't like real FiOS and by our speeds I'd agree, but I can play on it. Couldn't play on satellite, could barely get on or chat lol. My in-game netbar was showing 2398ms on satellite now it shows 83 with Verizon. I can live with that.
Yeah, sub contractors just came through 1 day surveying, i was like whatcha doin? they are like the electric company is running fiber.. i called and signed up that day lol.

1677776715822.png
Thats from my pc.. wired 1GE...

1677776807279.png
Thats off the modem directly..

Im up in Canada.. the service is a GPON type service , I'm paying for 1.5 down / 1.0 up..

The interface facing the carrier is a 2.5gig SFP+ .. their modem sucks, but unless I have a 2.5g/10g NIC in my pc, and the damn modem had a better switchport, I could actually use all of it.. my wife's random youtube vids dont even eat into this..

I'm paying like 200 bux (CDN) a month, but thats not just the inet, its a package..

Also.. one thing to consider.. the speed to your local speed test server can be, and usually is, skewed... Most times those speed test servers are within your ISP's network.. so they are only testing your local fibre/copper access into their network.. very minimal hops.. It doesnt test the capacity of the ISP's gateway routers and what kind of bandwidth you would get through those..

A true test would be to run a speed test from a server that is with a competitor ISP and , if you're looking for an estimate speed / latency for something specific (like EQ), try and find one close to the where your service is.. ie California..

Just my two redcents ::)

Last edited:
Discussion - What is your ISP Speed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back