• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - What is your ISP Speed? (1 Viewer)

Man... some of yall really slummin out there in the sticks lol. I feel rural cause I can see cows from my bedroom window and don't have a fiber option, but damn lol

Man... some of yall really slummin out there in the sticks lol. I feel rural cause I can see cows from my bedroom window and don't have a fiber option, but damn lol
yeah speeds in here are feast or famine for real for real

@LorDeth and @winnower are correct (though, I would guess that gigabit fiber in New York still out performs crappy DSL in San Diego, even going somewhere in California).

For me, on gigabit fiber I can get gig up and down via speedtest.net to my local provider. I can get pretty close to gigabit to another local provider (because we have a data exchange that keeps traffic local, like most large cities have) but when I go to say, Measurement Labs or test out of California, I'll see significantly slower speeds.

@LorDeth and @winnower are correct (though, I would guess that gigabit fiber in New York still out performs crappy DSL in San Diego, even going somewhere in California).

For me, on gigabit fiber I can get gig up and down via speedtest.net to my local provider. I can get pretty close to gigabit to another local provider (because we have a data exchange that keeps traffic local, like most large cities have) but when I go to say, Measurement Labs or test out of California, I'll see significantly slower speeds.
1677784948645.png me to San Diego (Cox).. def some latency added..

View attachment 46825 me to San Diego (Cox).. def some latency added..
hmm interesting.. where are you at (roughly) ?

This is mine, from NE Canada, to same location, San Diego (Cox) on my 1.5G down/1.0G up.. this would be going through a number of different carrier-carrier gateways.

I didn't see an IP on the destination end to do a traceroute n see how many actual hops that is.. but is quite a lot less speed..

1677785377185.png

hmm interesting.. where are you at (roughly) ?

This is mine, from NE Canada, to same location, San Diego (Cox) on my 1.5G down/1.0G up.. this would be going through a number of different carrier-carrier gateways.

I didn't see an IP on the destination end to do a traceroute n see how many actual hops that is.. but is quite a lot less speed..

View attachment 46826
almost exact center of the US, so about 2/3 of the way there (backhauls dont follow that per se)

The ISP is going to matter too, as durango pointed out. Sometimes routing is weird across ISPs and not the most efficient path.

The ISP is going to matter too, as durango pointed out. Sometimes routing is weird across ISPs and not the most efficient path.

Yep absolutely.. so many factors..

I work for one of the evil ISPs up here :devil:

So many things, like the capacity of an ISP's internal transport network, the size and amount of peering connections to other carriers, etc.. then you pair that up with all the different carriers doing the same thing, having the same considerations, and your ISP's "priority" within another carrier's network as its traversing through..

the networks are getting much better now, with 100gig being relatively commonplace for backbone links, and 400G already here, just not widely deployed yet.. and instead of the old SONET rings (which still are in place), there are alot more mesh networks that utilize more modern transport protocols as well, such as OTN..

but you're still going to have single points of failure, and traffic congestion to a certain degree.. never totally avoidable, but at least it is improving..

But is it fast enough to keep up with the demand, especially with 5G and such????

1 Gbps down / up fiber (line speed). $80/mo. USA.

I am not at home to post a speed test, but from my system, it should show a similar decrease from line speed (~10%) that others are posting on similar connections. Love my ISP - local utility spun it off and it's been rock solid with the exception of a contractor busting a line during some digging work in the subdivision going up nearby (bet that was a $$$ oop-sy). My kids stream some cartoons and wife streams her TV shows while I play EQ. Realistically, something like Saffron's connection would keep everyone happy.

My mind is still anchored in the 56k days trying to play the Jedi Knight game multiplayer. ~500-1000ms made for some interesting lightsaber melees.

Please tell me the OP is being facetious moaning about "only" gigabit connection. Can't be that rural. Try not having cell signal whatsoever. Or cable refusing to run lines down your road. We have fiber... supposedly...installed since covid, but cable 15yrs ago would be a lot faster than this.

Worse though, before we had satellite that throttled to 56k after 10gigs a month, plus 1000ms latency.

There is nothing 1Gb service can't handle cept a server farm.
I am referencing the majority of the areas around where I live. Seems like everyone has Fiber breaking 10GB or more within town or city limits. So, makes me feel like I have a slow connection. I understand that referencing the entire country is a different story. Suppose I could have been more direct about my comparison. Sorry about that!

1677834085182.png1677834102829.png
Fibre. 6870 miles on a different continent :P wish I could get better ping but that would require some advancements in technology. Underseas cables just go so fast and each router between adds some more latency.
Speedtest locally is much the same just 5ms ping

Amazing thing to me is that it WORKS !

Last edited:
residential service? curious, what does that cost you

498:- Swedish krona /month ~ $48

yes, residential service.
Internet is pretty cheap in Sweden and just about every town has its own fiber network.
Even the countryside has most of it covered.

100% is rounded, offcourse not every place is covered.

hushåll = household.
"eller mer" = or higher.
"inom tätort" = in a city
"utanför tätort" = countryside.

1677861200812.png

This is from a pc connected to the network with 1 gb ethernet not 10 gbe, so the speed cant really go any higher.

1677862112497.png

This is from a pc connected to the network with 1 gb ethernet not 10 gbe, so the speed cant really go any higher.

View attachment 46836

decent bandwidth, and really, only about 80-90ms more latency than I have from northeast north america.. considering you're crossing most of europe and then submarine cables across the Atlantic...

I cant believe how good the prices are there!

How hard is Swedish to learn? :D

I am referencing the majority of the areas around where I live. Seems like everyone has Fiber breaking 10GB or more within town or city limits. So, makes me feel like I have a slow connection. I understand that referencing the entire country is a different story. Suppose I could have been more direct about my comparison. Sorry about that!
Looks like tjuren is the only one with that kinda speeds lol. Granted American infrastructure is behind due to capitalism and geography. Too much open space and not enough profit margin or reason for higher than the common 1-2GB. People always wanted bigger better faster but if 10GB becomes more common the discrepancy between the extremes will get even worse and tech will want to take advantage of the high end, leaving the low end likely unable to even make use of most stuff. Think about how what is now "slow" sometimes has issues with bank servers etc because they want more info faster, when ok ur slow is faster than 20yrs ago fast, and 20yrs ago slow still exists as the only option for some.

The higher speeds are appetizing but without ensuring the worst off gets an upgrade and preferably coverage itself gets expanded in general, the overall impact will be that MORE people will be at a deficit than they were decades past, because society as a whole now requires more connectivity more data transfer more speed.

At start of covid when suddenly schools had to do remote learning this deficit became glaringly obvious (not to mention the poorer kids who didn't even have the tech to DO the remote learning even if they did have adequate connection available this schools had to include that tech in their budgets where it wasn't before) and a great push was made to extend that coverage, but it was only partially successful. We got ours not 2 months before they started going back to campus (just less frequently at first). Before that the options were satellite mentioned before, or dialup which NOW is not an option (they shut off the old copper phone lines just 2 weeks ago, now requiring fiber for landlines as well).

Same thing will happen when 4G goes obsolete like you can now barely do a search on 3G and I used to run 5 PCs running EQ on it, and still too many without 3 or 4G service at all while the rest of the world is on 5G and forgets it's not universal.

. I'm moving and I'll be going from 2gigs of internet to 1 gig.

I run 6 instances on one computer. Will 1 gig be enough?

There are two main numbers you need to know.

1 - Latency or "ping" - its how long it takes a bit of data to go from your computer to a server (and back)
2 - Throughput or "bandwidth" - how much data can you move over some fixed period of time. There is a number for "download" and "upload".

You want a low ping for fast response ( First Person Shooters ) and/or high bandwidth ( streaming video )

EQ is more of a "ping" than "bandwidth"

Your description of how much internet you have is ambiguous. When you say 2gigs of internet what do you mean? that sounds more like a data cap not a speed.

Run an "isp speed test" ( ISP = internet service provider ) and you'll see what you have now.

Mine is AT&T fiber and is pretty good but not great.

Ping: 15 ms
Download: 94 Mbps
Upload: 65 Mbps

There are two main numbers you need to know.

1 - Latency or "ping" - its how long it takes a bit of data to go from your computer to a server (and back)
2 - Throughput or "bandwidth" - how much data can you move over some fixed period of time. There is a number for "download" and "upload".

You want a low ping for fast response ( First Person Shooters ) and/or high bandwidth ( streaming video )

EQ is more of a "ping" than "bandwidth"

Your description of how much internet you have is ambiguous. When you say 2gigs of internet what do you mean? that sounds more like a data cap not a speed.

Run an "isp speed test" ( ISP = internet service provider ) and you'll see what you have now.

Mine is AT&T fiber and is pretty good but not great.

Ping: 15 ms
Download: 94 Mbps
Upload: 65 Mbps
Thanks Dewey I'll do this when I'm set up at the new place.

Have to laugh at this. I am on DSL, we have no cable out where I live. If I had the money I would get Star link but I don't so I won't.

My speed is about 11 or 12 mbps and .57 upload. Yes, and I have played over 6 accounts at one time. I do not have a super computer, windows 8.

The moral of this story is not everyone has da shitzzz set ups and we can play just fine. :) and that what you have is all you have so work it baaaby. Work it!

Back in 1999, I had to play EQ on dial-up. In the UK I used British Telecom that charged me 2p per minute with a 60 minute cap. That mean every 60 minutes, I got disconnected and had to reconnect all over again.

I used to dread hearing the 'blip' from my modem in the middle of a fight. Sometimes, auto-attack would get me through, but more often than not, I logged back in to a corpse run :(

EQ in 99 on dial ..... brrrrrr whizzzzzz .....You've got mail! ... shuddup you, there's EQ to play.

EQ now
Go Dark Helmet GIF

I used to truck drive and play everquest on my phones internet which sometimes was incredibly slow(the internet not everquest) lol but everquest doesnt take much to run so i was even able to stretch a few accounts when i played heh it was a great way to keep in touch with family while i was away from home making money.

Discussion - What is your ISP Speed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back