• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Weapon choice & Melee yes/no (1 Viewer)

RedCents
920¢
I'm trying to improve my 120 Shm.
Should I be using 1hder and board or 2hder? Which type is best, heal or dmg proc? Some proc are labeled as hostile spell cast and others combat, need advice.
Melee on or off, should a 120 shm be attacking?
I have been using 2hder with melee on. Stance is heal.
This shm is maxed aa and has NoS T3 group gear. I'm not lacking in healing I want to see if I can improve his dps some.
I run CTWN plugin. Just do group content.
Can some of you share your setups.

1694711208472.png

I'm curious as well to see what others are doing. I run 2H with my SHM using the cwtn plugin. Group is SK/SHM/ENC/MAG/WIZ/DRU (typically) though I switch it up to a melee group as well. I find the SHM in hybrid is better than Heal and has zero issues keeping the SK up with/without the DRU in group content, including missions. Some swear by 2h with priests and others say 1h with board, but I've never parsed it.

Now raids are diff as I add a clr and usually place shm in Heal since I OT quite a bit.

I also use healing proc just to add extra for the tank as I do with most casing group members.

I'm trying to improve my 120 Shm.
Should I be using 1hder and board or 2hder? Which type is best, heal or dmg proc? Some proc are labeled as hostile spell cast and others combat, need advice.
Melee on or off, should a 120 shm be attacking?
I have been using 2hder with melee on. Stance is heal.
This shm is maxed aa and has NoS T3 group gear. I'm not lacking in healing I want to see if I can improve his dps some.
I run CTWN plugin. Just do group content.
Can some of you share your setups.

View attachment 50884
First off forget melee. Move from Heal to DPS he will still heal fine. Next focus on getting Rank 3 spells for DPS nothing good can happen from meleeing you might pull agro or do a number of other things with only a bad possible outcome. Your DPS and healing will be covered especially if you have all your AA

Last edited:
First off forget melee. Move from Heal to DPS he will still heal fine. Next focus on getting Rank 3 spells for DPS nothing good can happen from meleeing you might pull agro. Your DPS and healing will be covered especially if you have all your AA
if you're pulling agro invest more in your tank... unless you're doing something dumb like pet tanking or merc tanking ( or ranja)

It is a choice between stats or procs. The 1hander and shield will be more HME and hStats. The 2hander will have some passive procs and better melee dps. Neither will make much difference overall. You're not going to be some uber melee king with the 2h, nor will the small amount of stats do much for you either.

First off forget melee. Move from Heal to DPS he will still heal fine. Next focus on getting Rank 3 spells for DPS nothing good can happen from meleeing you might pull agro or do a number of other things with only a bad possible outcome. Your DPS and healing will be covered especially if you have all your AA
Why not do both? Nuking / Doting is going to cause more aggro than melee any day from a priest. Crazy thing is you can nuke / dot / AND melee... Why not do all 3 if you are looking for more DPS.

Traditionally you have more DPS from a 2hander than a sword/board.

ABM!

always be meleeing, for 2handers i generally like the one that gives the biggest damage bonus for non meleee type toons, i dont remember why i prefer that, but i just do

Personally? I don't need to. So I don't. And I operate under the premise there is nothing special about me. So if I don't have to, why would I recommend that someone else does?

My 120 shaman with full AAs just heals and slows and dots aka I have him in healer mode. No melee for him. I have his 2.0 equipped because, well, I like the way it looks and sometimes fashion is oh, so much better then form. Or... final answer, lock it in.

I appreciate the replies. I never seem to pull aggro from my tank.
I think I'm going to try dps mode and do some weapon swaps.
I'm still a bit confused on these weapon augs. If melee use combat and hostile spell cast proc ones, if not melee I need to stick with ones that don't proc combat?

Like most things, there isn't a single best answer for all situations.
Most of the time, my shaman has 2h and does melee. - but so do mage and necro.
There are times when I have lost my shaman using melee, but it is rare. Proximity aggro from adds most likely. If its a situation where I have had this happen, I turn off melee.
Sometimes shaman is set to heal, other times hybrid or dps - depends on rest of group.
If I am in a open zone and feel like there is a possibility of hostile players observing, then I will turn off melee on all casters including priests.

TinyBubbles you can get your 2.0 ornamentation done so you can equip a new updated weapon.
True enough and I thank you for that. I did that 3x for my main so I could get the "special" ornament. I'm Just not interested enough to do it again for the shaman or any of my other toons. I have 1 main toon I really like to play, the others keep me occupied when my buddies aren't around. And I agree with everyone, there's no reason for the shaman not to melee. Its just not something I have mine do.

As far as augs go, its what you want and makes you happy. My understanding for my main (monk) is that straight damage augs is what I should use. So that's what I do.

Discussion - Weapon choice & Melee yes/no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back