• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Thinking about returning - looking for advice (1 Viewer)

Bowd

RedCents
40¢
Hello! With all the craziness out in the world and being severely limited in activities, I have been thinking about making a return. I played back last probably in HoT and have level 90 toons. Mostly a Bard and Warrior. I played only with ISboxer and the only way I would return is by using your amazing product. (Although probably will use ISboxer for the layout.) Anyway, I have a few questions:
1. I don't have a PC right now, so I would have to invest in that. I was basically thinking of either doing EQ or buying a PS5. If you had to make a choice which would you do? My only hangup with EQ is that I am busier than I used to be and would probably have only longer playtimes on weekends.

2. If you had to buy a new cheap computer for EQ, what would you buy? I was looking at the HP Elitedesk 800 series. an I5 quad core 3ghz processor with 16 gb of ram and an SSD would probably be able to run 12 characters pretty easily? 18 might be a problem though? MQ2wire seems like a godsend for processing power, but ram not so much?

3. Ideal group to maximize DPS? Seems like some have settled on WAR/BRD/CLR/BST/BER/BER.

4. Anyone have a utility group? Was thinking something like SK/ENC/SHM/WIZ/DRU/MAG. Would that be enough DPS to get through current content missions? I'd like to have this second group so I could always have the best buffs and utility for when I try and do old raids.

Thanks!

Hello! With all the craziness out in the world and being severely limited in activities, I have been thinking about making a return. I played back last probably in HoT and have level 90 toons. Mostly a Bard and Warrior. I played only with ISboxer and the only way I would return is by using your amazing product. (Although probably will use ISboxer for the layout.) Anyway, I have a few questions:
1. I don't have a PC right now, so I would have to invest in that. I was basically thinking of either doing EQ or buying a PS5. If you had to make a choice which would you do? My only hangup with EQ is that I am busier than I used to be and would probably have only longer playtimes on weekends.

2. If you had to buy a new cheap computer for EQ, what would you buy? I was looking at the HP Elitedesk 800 series. an I5 quad core 3ghz processor with 16 gb of ram and an SSD would probably be able to run 12 characters pretty easily? 18 might be a problem though? MQ2wire seems like a godsend for processing power, but ram not so much?

3. Ideal group to maximize DPS? Seems like some have settled on WAR/BRD/CLR/BST/BER/BER.

4. Anyone have a utility group? Was thinking something like SK/ENC/SHM/WIZ/DRU/MAG. Would that be enough DPS to get through current content missions? I'd like to have this second group so I could always have the best buffs and utility for when I try and do old raids.

Thanks!
for second group would do necro or 2 mages instead of wiz. they will out dps the wiz pretty easily boxed.

Just preference but SK BRD SHM BER BER BER is pretty crazy deeps too. For rezz get yourself a rez stick. I'm currently running a CLR instead of a SHM cause I'm lazy. BER alliance is nothing to sneeze at.

Thanks!

1. EQ- we are all EQ addicts here

2. 12 Characters with 16gb RAM would be ok, anymore than that and you'll get stutter most likely.

3. I have easily completed all current group content with:-

WAR/BRD/SHM/BST/BER/BER
and
SHD/ENC/CLR/MAG/WIZ/WIZ

Druid doesn't really add that much these days, unless you are raiding or desperately need the extra edge (you don't).

1. EQ, because....EQ
2. I have a 3 1/2 year old PC that's an i5 @ 3.5 GHz with 16 MB ram, and I commonly run 14 toons with no problems. I could probably run more, I just haven't tried.
3. My main group is SK, CLR, ROG, and 3 zerk and I do ok. I do have pretty much every toon there is available for buffs from outside of the group. Depending on what I'm doing, sometimes I'll put together a 2nd full group for extra dps to move things along faster. That's usually my SHM, ENC, 3 zerk, and whatever I feel atm for the last spot.

EQ for sure and you can do a lot of other good stuff too with a PC. You could consider playing on EQ EMU which is what I do. I run my own server so I can do whatever I want, AFK as much as I want etc. There are lots of other advantages from Emu too, although some disadvantages as well. Depends what you want out of it.

2 - Yes I think you could do 12 easy, 18 maybe but RAM will be a concern. On Windows 10 the ram usage will drop over time which really helps, but loading them all in might be stuttery until it settles. You can do a lot with 12 though. Also with laptops you pay a premium for the portability and shrunk size. If you get a desktop it is usually cheaper. Or get one built for you.

3 - I think any group is fine. Not sure what highest dps would be. Depends on era a lot too.

4 - I love balanced groups, it is what I usually make. I like a tank, healer, second healer, CC, evac/ports, and DPS. But you can get away with almost any group composition.

I use IsBoxer for the layout and without any broadcasting, puller/mt gets 1 screen, the other 5 got the second screen. I like the possibillities of setting the screen-layout at my wishes.

At camps, where I feel it could get difficould for my Team, I usually pull by myself. But at places where I feel, they are on farm status, I enjoy as well, letting the team do its farming and focus more, to improve the performance, by modifying the inis for the toons.

Last time I went off for a longer break was, because manual boxing got to stressing and I got frustrated not being able to progress anymore.

When I came back, I searched for a tool set which would help me to keep the fun, by playing EQ.
I feel I was lucky too search for sufficient time to find Redguide.

I am happy with kissassist, but in the meantime there are more toolsets available.

I am now back since about a year and have more fun than ever. Playing does not require my full concentration, so beside playing I can chat via TS.

It may can take some time, until your chars behave like you want them to do.
I started with shm, brd, mag, mag, mag, mag but some month ago my team chaned to
Shd, shm, enc, mag, mag, mag

Growing up a real tank took some time, but was worth the effort.
Swapping brd to enc means a drop in DPS, but the increase in cc for my playstyle was well worth it.
While ber likely outdps mage, having only 1 meele in group makes it less obvious that tools are used, and if Shd goes down on a bad pull, most of the time the rest of the team survives, as the mage pets will take over.

I could manage do do 3 of the 4 heroes of actual content, only the kael-flag I had to achieve with the help of others. If I would have taken the time, to get mq2react working, I could get this ducking Mechanik working and do all actual group-content. I feel no need of a Support-group... at the encounter where it might could be useful, they can't enter, as the hero-task allow max 6 toons.

IRL - Thinking about returning - looking for advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back