• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - The earliest bug or exploit you remember (1 Viewer)

it is not the oldest but definitely one of the best for me was back around 2008 i was playing on Zek when they introduced the Ancient Heroes missions the ones that give the McKenzie's Special Brews. For some reason they put all the loot that was going to be available for purchase with the Brews on the PvP vendor in the main hub of the bazaar and it was all for purchase with PvP points, mind you this stuff was 950hp when all my gear was like 500 - 600hp. The vendor was up for about 48 hours then SOE announced that during the week they would be logging in every one in one by one and taking any gear back that was gotten from PvP points . luckily i had a good idea and i sold all my armor and augs to the vendor and placed the stack of Brews in a middle bag of my bank, logged on the FV server and put a trader up for a week and did not log out or back on Zek at all. When i came back i checked the bag and sure as shit big stack of brews !!! I bought all the gear and augs full set every slot and got to keep them until i outgrew them in the next expansions

it is not the oldest but definitely one of the best for me was back around 2008 i was playing on Zek when they introduced the Ancient Heroes missions the ones that give the McKenzie's Special Brews. For some reason they put all the loot that was going to be available for purchase with the Brews on the PvP vendor in the main hub of the bazaar and it was all for purchase with PvP points, mind you this stuff was 950hp when all my gear was like 500 - 600hp. The vendor was up for about 48 hours then SOE announced that during the week they would be logging in every one in one by one and taking any gear back that was gotten from PvP points . luckily i had a good idea and i sold all my armor and augs to the vendor and placed the stack of Brews in a middle bag of my bank, logged on the FV server and put a trader up for a week and did not log out or back on Zek at all. When i came back i checked the bag and sure as shit big stack of brews !!! I bought all the gear and augs full set every slot and got to keep them until i outgrew them in the next expansions

slick!

The one I remember I don't know if it was a glitch or not, was in Plane of Justice for the Trials. The room the Ogre was in that you had to save and speak for was a language room. You could learn any language in just by speaking it. Was AWESOME!!! This was way back at the beginning like 2001. We would sit in there and spam languages until maxed. I was able to learn every language known at the time because of it. Didn't need a teacher, just needed 1 point in it and you could speak it to teach yourself. Back then language was everything, like charisma and I was a DE cleric with a charisma of 11...hahaha. Yes, I am the one that wiped the 40 man raid because the Spider Queen in Plane of Nightmare charmed me and I had stuns loaded with only 2 heals...oopsies...hence was born the raid boss Sendaii the Hive Queen in the Blood Raid. But I ended up calling Kelethin my home city, first Dark Elf to walk in amiable.

Original Crystal Caverns you could stand on some of the rocks and the orcs would kite back and forth never able to reach you.

Other one was weird and totally useless (plus inconsistent results)... but you jumped on / off the platform in the moat before Halas and unequipped / reequiped your weapon it would bug out and temporarily give you a weapon skin of an open book instead of the weapon.

Ahh, my memory's failing me, I can't remember the zone, but there was a zone with that green goo model I can picture clearly in my mind - and if you stood in one spot it would come towards you, move just 1 little bit to the side and it would run away. Being a necro with root + DoT tactics, and root constantly breaking - it really saved my bacon a few times being able to move over just a bit and have the extra time to either reroot or to feign death. ARGH! Why can't I remember the zone or the named that spawned there.

Edit: Cazic Thule sewers, named goo was the goal.

Anyone know any current bugs or exploits haha? If you don’t want to post them here pm me, I’ve missed out on all of these exploits so far!

I feel old saying this.. Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

PS: OP never said in EQ!

Karnor's Castle during Kunark release, aggroing through the wall to pull the hand downstairs. I remember people getting in trouble for that. This was the first exploit I remember. I was bad. I remember shooting arrows down the "well" in Blackburrow just to aggro the mobs below, zoning out as thousands of gnolls came up. Then zoning back in lmao at the poor groups below! :mystery:

...and then there were the good old days when there was no emote on who broke the chanter's mez.... /ducks
I did the same thing in Blackburrow. haha!

I haven't tried to do it in a long time, but have you guys ever done the camping door trick? Used to be if a door was locked you could put your back up against it, camp out, log in, camp out, log in, and everytime you did you moved slightly backwards - eventually you'd be on the other side of the door.

I haven't tried to do it in a long time, but have you guys ever done the camping door trick? Used to be if a door was locked you could put your back up against it, camp out, log in, camp out, log in, and everytime you did you moved slightly backwards - eventually you'd be on the other side of the door.
Yeah, I tried everything after they corrected the illusion thru door trick. Then I gave up and made a rogue.

On my first toon, a ranger, I used Skin like Wood to heal since it gave you the amount of health equal to the buff even if you already had the buff. Just spam Skin!!
Second toon. enchanter, I remember charming the Priest of Discord and killing everything in sight. Needless to say that was nerfed quickly.
Putting something in the bank, picking it back up again and while it was still on the cursor, back up until the bank window closed.. viola!! duplicates.

It was when coin did have weight and I dont think you were supposed to die in POK. I dont know if it was bug or just a coincidence, but I was in the bazaar and had 10000000 or so gold on me. I forgot I was carrying so much. I gated to pok and was on a slope. Because I was on a hill, the moment I tried to move, it killed me. The zone crashed at the same time. I tried to log back in but the zone wasnt available. When I finally could log in. I had a dupe of everything I had on me. Was a nice day...
There was also a way to make power sources cheap. So I filled all my bags with them. Still am using them years later.

While not the earliest, the two most memerable for me were the plat shark in Butcherblock and warring mobs in Plane of Tactics (Drunder). Low level shark near the boat dropping thousands of platinum (PoP era) and getting the two factions of mobs (Daiku and Zek) to fight each other so you could tag for kill credit (hundreds of mobs fighting).

I don't think it's the earliest exploit i 'knew' of... but the only exploit i really found on my own and was able to use was back during RoF at some point, i discovered necromancers when F2P that had rank 2 swarm pet spell were stupidly over powered. Back then the swarm pets were unlinked so 3 generations of pets would be 300k+ dps.... Add in bard auras.... Another necro... Or two or three.

Was 1 grouping the corrupted ntov dragons in era... Sick dps and endless tanks... Used to be a lot of fun doing some of the dragons with the hiding from ae stuff and moving out

Never tried final dragon, that was never gonna happen :-P

On the same token, doing group content/missions/hunter just running around with a single necro and bard smashing stuff

I don't think it's the earliest exploit i 'knew' of... but the only exploit i really found on my own and was able to use was back during RoF at some point, i discovered necromancers when F2P that had rank 2 swarm pet spell were stupidly over powered. Back then the swarm pets were unlinked so 3 generations of pets would be 300k+ dps.... Add in bard auras.... Another necro... Or two or three.

Was 1 grouping the corrupted ntov dragons in era... Sick dps and endless tanks... Used to be a lot of fun doing some of the dragons with the hiding from ae stuff and moving out

Never tried final dragon, that was never gonna happen :-P

On the same token, doing group content/missions/hunter just running around with a single necro and bard smashing stuff
Rofl, wait... did you say necros were OP?? ;)

First version of plane of fear had no level restrictions. CT and Draco dropped no loot either though but the mobs dropped Lustrous Russet which was WAR CLR PAL RNG SHD BRD ROG SHM BER useable and was really good.
  • In fear you could fear a boogeyman into the zone wall and it would crash the zone 100% of the time. So we would just clear everything we wanted and then crash the zone over and over and over farming all the gear we wanted in no time.
  • Level ones who were in plane of fear camped when the level limit was added was never booted from the zone.
  • Once CT started his death touch cycle if you camped right when he death touched someone, he would DT you right as you camped out and once you logged back in would be a duplicate corpse every time.
  • The NODROP flag was client side early on. A simple hack let you trade items with anyone. (This was how Kalaran his rogue ,Furor his warrior, the first level 50 of everquest was banned)
  • You could pickpocket Nagafen
Just a few I recall from the very early days.

Yeah they were, look up "pet walls" at least that is how it was know to me. Was nerfed about 2/3 years ago.

was a tongue-in-cheek joke because they’re OP now ... although the recent patch may have changed that!

There was a res bug right after Kunark came out? If you had two different types of res, 99% and 90%? You would get credit for both and increase your exp by that amount. I never got to try it out. It was a patch message that came out but after I looked it up some people were using it to PL quickly to 60.

There was a res bug right after Kunark came out? If you had two different types of res, 99% and 90%? You would get credit for both and increase your exp by that amount. I never got to try it out. It was a patch message that came out but after I looked it up some people were using it to PL quickly to 60.

Nowadays the quickest way to level by rez is just to leave a few corpses around and wait for the weekly server crash. : )

You can still do taunts through walls and limited Z axis through ceilings and floors. I was doing this to pull mobs through locked doors in befallen and unrest [on Aradune] all the way to pulling basement area mobs in The Hole. It's not like using /fartaunt, you still have limited taunt range just can ignore walls/ceilings/floors. You have to be able to 'see' the mob, target it and then taunt. Or if you use a pet class; send the pet in or under or above your walled or ceiling or basement and the mob will come to you after it kills your pet. SK pets work perfect for this coupled with a taunt.

Like everything else, dont be flamboyant about it.

When I first got my cable internet, i accidentally unplugged my router with my foot while running across a zone. Plugged back in and was still in the game at the location I ran to. Made it easy to unplug my ethernet cable and run to raid mob, FD and then plug cord back in to see if mobs were up

Best Bug - I made tons of $$ of this exploit - I found out if you " died and lost your body" A GM Would restore your character for you. (Once restored you went to body and looted gear off it) Youd have the set on your toon and the set on your body) So I talked to a few loaded friends, loaded my toons up and died and did it twice per account - Then sold the gear and plat - Then I started selling guides on how to do it on player auctions- I was 13-14 years old i think and I was coming home to 400-500$ a day for months, until multiple people started copying my guide and selling them on Playerauctions - Player auctions then banned guides because they got sick of me getting them to take down the copyrights. Prob made 10k in a month - Build 3 high end gaming pcs, bought a bad ass gokart ect.

Using the wall clipping in Kedge Keep at the entrance in order to see if Phinny was up. Of course this wasn't necessarily needed if you could track.

The very first I knew of was that mobs could not walk through walls so rangers could stand on huts in the Commonlands and gun down mobs with zero chance of death.

One of the most if not the most hated was when Necromancers could sacrifice you against your will, i.e. no confirm box, while you were in group with them when they wanted to make a Resurrection stone.

Another of which I was a victim, was while you had items in a trade window if the other person strafed left or right the items would drop on the ground and he would pick them up thus stealing them from you.

Lastly one exploit/cheat was that when you gave corpse rights to someone else originally they could loot your corpse not just drag it. This allowed you to have class/race restricted items you were not allowed to have.

Not really an exploit but I was in one of the guilds that caused the char limit and flag limit in POP.

3 guilds came together to kill Rallos Zek and if memory serves we flagged like 4-500 people on that raid. The zone was lagged out so bad he only casted one spell while in the pit and no adds spawned. It was one of the funnest nights I’ve had in EQ. The amount of people there that got flagged was crazy.

sorry for all the future people that it screwed.

Discussion - The earliest bug or exploit you remember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back