• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Funny - Tell me you’re and old gamer without saying you’re an old gamer. (2 Viewers)

SomeTester

RedCents
924¢
Inspired by a guy in a help thread saying he still uses TeamSpeak, which brought back old memories.

What can you say that let’s us know you’ve been MMOing for decades? I’ll start with:

Asking my family not to use the phone because I’m getting online to play EQ, Duke Nukem, or Age of Empires; and then 20 minutes in someone tries to make a phone call and I get kicked off.

able to hear the tell tale signs of a modem handshake in my head as you read your post.

Loading EQ xpacs from CD before patching for hours on patch day with the anticipation to get online and play.

playing 2 player games by calling my friends computer (was that mode called peer to peer?)

Had a standard Compaq PC back in 99 along with 56k dial up, each time I zone it would take me around 12 minutes real time to get in. Had to always warn the group prior to zoning.

Good days.

Inspired by a guy in a help thread saying he still uses TeamSpeak, which brought back old memories.

What can you say that let’s us know you’ve been MMOing for decades? I’ll start with:

Asking my family not to use the phone because I’m getting online to play EQ, Duke Nukem, or Age of Empires; and then 20 minutes in someone tries to make a phone call and I get kicked off.
Sitting in EC Tunnel for 12 hrs. trying to sell stuff in /ooc....then finally getting a buyer and dying multiple times trying to run there with a mule

Finding out that you had a corpse for the first time when you ran back to kill that rat that took you out in East Freeport, and not knowing to right click it to get back your gear and starting over for the next several weeks until a friend tells you "loot" your corpses.

Sitting invis staring at the spellbook medding up to kill another mob that is roaming around unaware you are sitting there as much as you are unaware if you'll survive the medding session. This was an origianl Velious Eastern Wastes experience.

Finding out that you had a corpse for the first time when you ran back to kill that rat that took you out in East Freeport, and not knowing to right click it to get back your gear and starting over for the next several weeks until a friend tells you "loot" your corpses.

Sitting invis staring at the spellbook medding up to kill another mob that is roaming around unaware you are sitting there as much as you are unaware if you'll survive the medding session. This was an origianl Velious Eastern Wastes experience.
lol...YAAAASSSSS.....! Putting someone on the "do-not" rez or port list with your friends...pllllzzzzzz rez me...no!

Human Paladin binding at West Freeport gates. Always healing folks getting beat on by Sgt Slate in EC and not knowing I went scowling. After getting my ass handed to me by a griff, I went afk. When I returned there was quite the pile of corpses and I was caught in a death loop as the guards killed me on spawn. Some nice folks dragged them away so I could run.....I learned that pally healing didn't help anybody back then :bang:

Getting the words for the 49 necro pet and DMF. Then failing the combines!!! then finally getting the 49 pet made and memorized. FS dagger wrecking machine, then nerf. /cry

I actually deleted my first few characters and started over after dying, somehow I had it in my head I had limited lives that first night of playing.

I find this offensive.
I am going to start playing WoW as soon as it makes Beta.
You EQ guys are weird.

Creating your first character, after playing 18 hours straight you log out from exhaustion. When logging back in after 2 hours of power napping you discover you have no idea that you had to remember which server it was that you made the character and spend the next 2 1/2 hours loading each one until you find it.

This was on a pair of floppy disks! 3.5s weren't even a glint in our eye yet.

1642705035189.png
Before modems and moving graphics, playing Bard's Tale on my Apple IIe and thinking how amazing it was.

Using the load and save functions to duplicate items by swapping back up floppys.

Opening up the cover "hood" and working on it like a car you're too young to drive.

1642706301575.png

The set up but imagine a COLOR monitor

1642706384958.png

years later buying a $600 printer to add the peripheral that tripled my ram!

Last edited:
Oh yea...you know you're old if your mind immediately finishes the following with your fingers on auto...up up...down down...left right...left right...and....

nintendo videogames GIF by El Primer Mando

able to hear the tell tale signs of a modem handshake in my head as you read your post.

Loading EQ xpacs from CD before patching for hours on patch day with the anticipation to get online and play.

playing 2 player games by calling my friends computer (was that mode called peer to peer?)
I still have the OG, kunark, velius, luclin, pop CD's in their case :)

Played Zork on my grandfather's Pentagon BBS account with a 1200 baud modem...when Zork was still new (mainframe only)...when I was 15.
I still have the OG, kunark, velius, luclin, pop CD's in their case :)
I have had the Firiona Vie action figure that came with the PoP deluxe/collector's box sitting next to my monitor since the PoP release. And she's still there, to this very day.

Last edited:
I memorized Neriak by running the walls in the dark because I didn't realize there was a gamma setting. Played in the dark for months. I also have all of the cd's and the EQ Atlas book. Will also never forget playing pong on our atari until my cousin broke a paddle. lol

Z
I remember manually configuring sound cards, modems, etc because back then there was no plug and play, auto detect, etc...
i remember entering a contest to win some Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold and I was DISAPPOINTED when I won second place which was a troy ounce gold coin!

Putting the phone in the cradle to dial in for internet.
I never was that old school. By the time we had internet I had to unplug the jack from the phone and put it into the computer. Onboard 14.4kbps of pure eeeeeee ohhhhh kshchshhhshshhhhh

Funny - Tell me you’re and old gamer without saying you’re an old gamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back