• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Some group comp testing BST vs WIZ (1 Viewer)

RedCents
348¢
So I ran a little test today. My base group comp is Pal/Clr/Enc/Nec/Mag. I have been going back and forth with the last spot being a wiz or a bst. I finally decided to pull up a target dummy (120) and get a parse in.
I ran two 5 minute parses with some interesting results. After the first two i ended up running another two to verify and validate the first test and to test KissAssist ini (pulled from another thread) vs RGMercs for Wiz.

Group 1: Pal/Clr/Enc/Nec/Mag/Wiz
At the 5 minute mark the group was pulling 2.5M dps. Necro was way ahead in dps but had burned all her mana. Necro is pulling about 1M dps on the dummy.

Group 2: Pal/Clr/Enc/Nec/Mag/Bst
At the 5 minute mark the group was pulling 2.5M dps. Everybody had full mana, Necro again was pulling about 1M dps; the Mag and Bst were about even in dps. At the 10 min mark everybody was still full mana pulling about 2.6M dps and at the 12 minute mark group was pulling 2.7M dps with everybody full mana. Well the Bst was constantly about 1/2 mana but it was staying there for the duration. At 15 mins im seeing 2.9M dps.

Group 1 Part 2: (Wiz with KissAssist Ini)
At the 5 minute mark the group was pulling 2.5M dps. Everybody full mana, promped me to run a part 1 again with RG Mercs to test the mana issue with the necro.

Group 1 Part 3: (Wiz with RG Mercs again)
2.6M dps with no mana issues

I didn't do anything other than set my Wiz assist to 100 in the Inis for Kiss and RG Mercs. I literally just had the Pal start on the dummy and sending an asssit command to get the rest of the crew started at the same time.

My Necro is my work horse. She ramps up quickly to become the queen of my dps crew and nobody else comes close. The KissAssist and RG Mercs use some different spells but provide about the same damage. Other than the first pull with weird mana issues mana wasn't a problem in either group comp.

From preliminary testing on the dummy Bst vs Wiz is a bit of a wash (NOTE: Bst is 119 with 58K aa and Wiz is 120 with 58k aa, Bst will probably pull ahead slightly with 120 and lvl 120 weapons; BST also has NO type 5s so that is a factor). All my boxes use CTWN plugins minus the Wiz. At this point mana isnt an issue; i ended up getting into a 1.5 hour meeting during the test and my team still has full mana with the Necro pulling 1.5M dps (3.1M team dps).

I plan on finishing my Wiz AA and also my BST to 120 and max AA and run the test again; Im not sure I can get a full set of type 5s, but next expac maybe I can do this again. Of course a target dummy isn't the same as a real mob, and with the new expansion looming there could be a big change when the Bst gets gear upgrades depending on how Wiz spells scale.

I am still torn between the two. Having the ability to port right to my guild anchor, which is right beside my portal, is very nice. Bst buffs are a nice thing to have also. At this point I still haven't found how I want my last slot to look. There is also the option of a Ranger in the final spot when the CTWN is released, though I might test that without it just for fun when I find the time to level a ranger.

So I ran a little test today. My base group comp is Pal/Clr/Enc/Nec/Mag. I have been going back and forth with the last spot being a wiz or a bst. I finally decided to pull up a target dummy (120) and get a parse in.
I ran two 5 minute parses with some interesting results. After the first two i ended up running another two to verify and validate the first test and to test KissAssist ini (pulled from another thread) vs RGMercs for Wiz.

Group 1: Pal/Clr/Enc/Nec/Mag/Wiz
At the 5 minute mark the group was pulling 2.5M dps. Necro was way ahead in dps but had burned all her mana. Necro is pulling about 1M dps on the dummy.

Group 2: Pal/Clr/Enc/Nec/Mag/Bst
At the 5 minute mark the group was pulling 2.5M dps. Everybody had full mana, Necro again was pulling about 1M dps; the Mag and Bst were about even in dps. At the 10 min mark everybody was still full mana pulling about 2.6M dps and at the 12 minute mark group was pulling 2.7M dps with everybody full mana. Well the Bst was constantly about 1/2 mana but it was staying there for the duration. At 15 mins im seeing 2.9M dps.

Group 1 Part 2: (Wiz with KissAssist Ini)
At the 5 minute mark the group was pulling 2.5M dps. Everybody full mana, promped me to run a part 1 again with RG Mercs to test the mana issue with the necro.

Group 1 Part 3: (Wiz with RG Mercs again)
2.6M dps with no mana issues

I didn't do anything other than set my Wiz assist to 100 in the Inis for Kiss and RG Mercs. I literally just had the Pal start on the dummy and sending an asssit command to get the rest of the crew started at the same time.

My Necro is my work horse. She ramps up quickly to become the queen of my dps crew and nobody else comes close. The KissAssist and RG Mercs use some different spells but provide about the same damage. Other than the first pull with weird mana issues mana wasn't a problem in either group comp.

From preliminary testing on the dummy Bst vs Wiz is a bit of a wash (NOTE: Bst is 119 with 58K aa and Wiz is 120 with 58k aa, Bst will probably pull ahead slightly with 120 and lvl 120 weapons; BST also has NO type 5s so that is a factor). All my boxes use CTWN plugins minus the Wiz. At this point mana isnt an issue; i ended up getting into a 1.5 hour meeting during the test and my team still has full mana with the Necro pulling 1.5M dps (3.1M team dps).

I plan on finishing my Wiz AA and also my BST to 120 and max AA and run the test again; Im not sure I can get a full set of type 5s, but next expac maybe I can do this again. Of course a target dummy isn't the same as a real mob, and with the new expansion looming there could be a big change when the Bst gets gear upgrades depending on how Wiz spells scale.

I am still torn between the two. Having the ability to port right to my guild anchor, which is right beside my portal, is very nice. Bst buffs are a nice thing to have also. At this point I still haven't found how I want my last slot to look. There is also the option of a Ranger in the final spot when the CTWN is released, though I might test that without it just for fun when I find the time to level a ranger.
Go with the BeastLord you get a slower since you chose Cleric over Shaman you also get another Pet class plus the BST themselves when gunned up are badass Plus they have a Plugin and if you're running them all on the same PC the Beast will cast on team

Love my Wiz as he was/is my first main and I would not trade him. I'm almost always in top 5 parse with our raids. But with what Rob just pointed out, the bst is prolly the best bet for your crew given the makeup.

Bst and wiz are fairly comparable in groups, and even on burns (head to head bst can do 3.5m for 30 seconds as can wiz). Bst provides ADPS for everyone else to be better is the hook on them.

Bst and wiz are fairly comparable in groups, and even on burns (head to head bst can do 3.5m for 30 seconds as can wiz). Bst provides ADPS for everyone else to be better is the hook on them.
Yup! Love my wiz but they are better supported with casters/enchanter

Go with the BeastLord you get a slower since you chose Cleric over Shaman you also get another Pet class plus the BST themselves when gunned up are badass Plus they have a Plugin and if you're running them all on the same PC the Beast will cast on team
yea the plugin is a big selling point, tho RG Mercs does fine so far. I use my ENC for slows so it isn't a huge deal for me.
I am pretty attached to most of my team except for my Bst and Mag. They are classes I didn't really play back in classic which all of my other classes I have because i really have an attachment to them. I knew the bst was at a disadvantage going into this due to level (gear) and augs but I am curious still. I guess I just need to get both maxed and the Bst with augs to see how it goes for real.

Love my Wiz as he was/is my first main and I would not trade him. I'm almost always in top 5 parse with our raids. But with what Rob just pointed out, the bst is prolly the best bet for your crew given the makeup.
yea for me I love my cleric most of all, I mained a cleric back in the day and it pains me to part with her. I loved playing my Pal before I found my cleric, I only ever got him to 20 back in classic but I had a 65 Pal on Aradune and he was a lot of fun so Ive decided to ditch the SK for the Pal, plus I like the 3rd res option. I raided as an enchanter on Mangler in PoP and she was a lot of fun and Ive always enjoyed Necros. Wiz was a lot of fun back in the day but they were so bad for awhile, i would love to bring her back in full time but her and the Mag are my flex slots. Im not really attached to the Mag other than how strong of a duo the Necro/Mag were together; but with a full group I would be willing to swap him out for something amazing.

Druids have always been a class I wanted to play and I had a raid geared Ranger I loved on Mischief. Im always tempted to level one of each and test them and see what happens but im not sure either would have a slot with my group comp.

yea that was the main reason i wanted to run the test at this point which is less than optimal for either the wiz or the bst. With both comps parsing the same over the duration it doesn't really fix my dilemma.

what server do you play on? If you are on FV I might be able to help some
Yea im on FV. Im in the middle of a tank switch, my Pal is only 115 with 44.7k AA. I am doing some grinding to get her maxed out which will also let me swap out the Wiz and Bst and get them finished up level and AA wise.

A beast with no type 5's will be materially affected dps wise assuming your stacking hDex. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you aug the beasty out. It will be interesting to see another test dummy session once he is geared with 120 stuff and augged. On FV you can get him full NoS 103 dex augs too...for about the cost of a krono.

A beast with no type 5's will be materially affected dps wise assuming your stacking hDex. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you aug the beasty out. It will be interesting to see another test dummy session once he is geared with 120 stuff and augged. On FV you can get him full NoS 103 dex augs too...for about the cost of a krono.
Yea I knew not having the type fives would be a limiting factor, I plan on doing it again at some point. I plan on doing a 120 test when both are fully maxed. Depending on how the pally gearing out goes I’ll get the bst geared and auged.

I’ve got my crew in Shei grinding right now. Once I get the bst to 120 I’ll take 100 mobs and average the dps and do the same for the wiz.

I’ll get another dummy test in eventually and then I’ll take both to a full mission and check how names fights go.

I should prolly say this publicly. Some things can't be accounted for. For instance in a group wiped if there is a single survivor it's usually a Mage or BST and if your Healer is bound in the zone or gets back to the zone quickly you can right click run to the BST to rez the party. Not an option with a Wizard they die fairly easily in a group wiped.

Discussion - Some group comp testing BST vs WIZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back