• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

S what's the difference between Wow and EQ (1 Viewer)

Jez666

RedCents
Wow is my first ever MMORPG and really my first ever RPG. I really like wow (too much) and after a while I began to wonder what other traditional fantasy MMORPGs were like. I had of course heard about EQ and assumed it was roughly the same really. But from what I can gather people often talk about Wow and EQ like they are almost totally different. More interactive raiding? 18 classes? Much harder than Wow? Different type of graphics? I am now interested to fully know how different EQ and Wow actually are. Are they really as different as people say or is it all just some sort of myth?

I have played both WoW, and Everquest. I frankly like everquest a good bit more than WoW. Wow is nice and all but over all it is to easy, pvp is rather boring. Everquest is quite a bit bigger than Wow but this also the accumulation of about 7 years of running the game as well compared to Wow like 2 or 3 I believe. I would say it is all up to you. If you ever get bored with the ease of Wow try everquest its a much harder game to proggress in, but there are huge comunitys and RG makes it simple to move up the lvl latter with MQ and a bit of common sense.

Actually,

I would love to try out EQ sometime. But I have no intentions of buying the game because of money and time. But I have been interested in seeing how it works.

Before my WoW days I was thinking about going to final fantasy online.

Lol, Creed, someone actually took away a redcent for my previous post on this.

::bema coughs and the word "joke" seems to come out of his mouth::

I need to stay out of this section of the forums, it is always bad news :p

EverQuest is better than World of Warcraft. Simply put..

Differences? hrm...A lot more classes..

EQ has Shaman, Shadow Knights, Enchanters, Mages, Necromancers, Beast Lords, Warriors, Clerics, Druids, Berserkers, Wizards, Bards, Monks, Paladins, Rangers, and Rogues.

like 5x more races..
Iksar, Ogres, Half Elves, Halflings, High Elves, Trolls, Humans, Erudite, Gnomes, Dark Elves and Barbarians just to name a couple.

72 Man raids instead of 40.

Better graphics in my opinion.

The largest difference in EQ and WoW would be the raids and the content. Progression in WoW is simple with the hardest thing standing in your way being the Onyxia Key Quest Chain, Which can be done in a matter of hours with a group of players.

Progression in EverQuest requires a raid force of usually 50+ people. Most times 72 in the newer content areas depending on your guild and it can take months to get flagged and keyed to into the highest zone(s) in the game.

Planes of Power was a prime example, Getting flagged straight through the Elementals and into the Plane of Time was a series of raid events across 10+ zones that all required a raid force of 72 in the beginning and took months to complete.

It's a lot more dynamic aswell, Encounters force you to pay more attention. A random player with get a single emote telling he/she to cast a certain spell type, If they don't do it they will litterally kill all 72 people within seconds.

EQ is just an all around better game, I played it for 6 years. I play WoW now but WoW will never get as good as EQ was in it's prime.

In other words...if you're a 13 year old idiot that wants to become uber fast, WoW is your game. If you play the game to have fun, meet other people and don't think that you're better than everyone else because your armor is better, go EQ

Yea if you want to have it easy chose WOW It goes fast.

If you like for a game to last more than a year than eq is for you. My brother has been playing eq1 for 6 years now and still has not done everything in the game lol

Cade said:
In other words...if you're a 13 year old idiot that wants to become uber fast, WoW is your game. If you play the game to have fun, meet other people and don't think that you're better than everyone else because your armor is better, go EQ
I don't know what game you're playing! Elitism is what gives EQ1 it's addictiveness. Now, EQ2, there isn't really armor elitism because until high level there isn't really any "great" armor until then.

I agree with TeachersPet. With the ridiculous +350 HP and +20 to all attributes gear, it pretty much takes away using skill in a PvP battle. Now abck in Kunark/Velious it was all about skill. Now it's kinda either play defensive till they run OOM or go offensive and try to kill them first. If you play on the PvP server like I did, you will decimated by the top 3 guilds that allow no one in and farm all the highest lvl zones every week and continue to get better while they rest are left behind :p.

WoW is fun because its easy to get uber and its fun.

EQ1 has tons of Elitism yeah....but in WoW you get better gear faster because you go through the game a lot faster. Also, most of the elitists that play the game to top everyone else ultimately end up playing WoW.

TeachersPet said:
Pfft. I remember when I was level 63 and EP flagged, I had such a massive e-Boner it wasn't even funny.

I remember when the shared bank crack worked and i made my 61 mnk thru Time flag and was getting my guildies to do all the pre EP boss's when we were backflagging to give all the loot i could use to my monk. He was the uberst PvP'er !!

edited by creed

thanks for the info...i think i'll give you a custom title for your effort :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy or someone took away a redcent for one of my joke posts... His reason was, "you didn't even play EQ" which I clearly stated in another post.

I deleted the post, because of ignorant fools like him who can't take a joke.

My post was the second of this thread and it said, "just stick to WoW and you'll be good."

How do you disable reputation. I'm just sick and tired of getting redcents taken away for ridiculous things like that when I wasn't even rude, but only silly.

Thanks

Bacstab said:
EverQuest is better than World of Warcraft. Simply put..

1.Differences? hrm...A lot more classes..

2. 72 Man raids instead of 40.

3.Better graphics in my opinion.

4.The largest difference in EQ and WoW would be the raids and the content. Progression in WoW is simple with the hardest thing standing in your way being the Onyxia Key Quest Chain, Which can be done in a matter of hours with a group of players.

5.It's a lot more dynamic aswell, Encounters force you to pay more attention. A random player with get a single emote telling he/she to cast a certain spell type, If they don't do it they will litterally kill all 72 people within seconds.

E
1.I suppost I agree about the classes :(.

2.I don't like having to gather raids.

3.I prefer brightness =D.

4.The like fast leveling the best I don't enjoy grinding or questing. I don't want to need patience in a game I pay for. Exploration and PVP xD.

5.Sounds like that could cause much irritation :(.

Actually, who wants to play the same game for six years? I'm playing WOW for more then a year now but I doubt I will be playing for another 2 years. I like the speed in WOW. It gives me the opportunity to try out several different classes to the end. High level instances with more then 20 players together is the reason why I play until lvl60 and then start a new one. I must admit however that With my priest I might be enjoying doing some stuff after level 60.
Lot's of time is just wasted by chatting or Rp' ing with others. It's the social aspect of the game that attracts me and makes me come back, as well as the game. I can't see me playing a game without any interaction with other people for this long. I guess that are the strong points of any online game.
But I don't know anything about Everquest, really. I heard the graphics are a lot better but that's probably what makes WOW so immensely succesful. You can play it on a low end machine.

S what's the difference between Wow and EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back