• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Strategy - Returning EQ Player after 15+ years attempting to 2-box (1 Viewer)

RedCents
170¢
Hi everyone. I will keep this simple. I am a returning player after about 15 years or so and I mostly played a warrior and some other melee classes. My warrior is currently level 65 and I started a level 85 heroic shaman which I was starting to 2-box on separate monitors on a live server. I chose the shaman due to some input from people in the game however I just wanted to see if anyone had insight on whether or not I would be better off grouping my warrior with another heroic character instead of the shaman. The shaman seems interesting to play so far and I know I will get use to playing him however I wanted to get the most out of my second character. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone. I will keep this simple. I am a returning player after about 15 years or so and I mostly played a warrior and some other melee classes. My warrior is currently level 65 and I started a level 85 heroic shaman which I was starting to 2-box on separate monitors on a live server. I chose the shaman due to some input from people in the game however I just wanted to see if anyone had insight on whether or not I would be better off grouping my warrior with another heroic character instead of the shaman. The shaman seems interesting to play so far and I know I will get use to playing him however I wanted to get the most out of my second character. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the party!
Have fun, watch videos, ask questions!
enjoy this month of lvl 2 from me, and you are hooked for life! =)

Last edited:
Look around the forums, there are dozens of "Hey I just came back and need group advice..." threads. WAR/SHM 2 box is fine. However, you might consider a 3 box with Tank, Healer, CC (ENC/BRD), but in your case I would choose BRD. Then, make the jump to a full 6 box, and add in a BST/BER/ROG to really decimate content.

Welcome. WAR/SHM is a classic combo. In the current live environment, warriors are often replaced by SKs - and to a lesser extent, PALs - in the group game. SHM is a good second box. You'll find a lot of resources here to run your own group of 6 and if you choose to go that route, WAR/SHM is a good foundation.

Welcome!

Welcome back. 15 year afk, you are not alone. If you are looking to get setup and running quickly, the plugins from CWTN are great. I use mq2shaman and a few others, but do not have personal experience with mq2war. Based on how the others perform, I trust it is good to go out of box.

What is your plan moving forward? I assume gaining levels on the WAR to match the SHM? Out of group healer? Thinking of doing a heroic upgrade on the war to match?

Welcome back!!! This site will definitely make the game allot moe fun and enjoyable. Great tools here!

I agree with other posters that adding in at least cc is a good idea and the SHM will likely struggle to be the main healer until around 105, then he will take off. Adding a cleric may help with that.

Good luck!

Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I had taken a long break, came back and EQ alone had a lot of changes, the walk throughs are nice, not everything is answered, but it's enough to be dangerous LOL... that said, I definitely found that learning and refining the INI taught me the most; experiment here, ask a question here, apply it there, seemed to teach me the most about it... I really enjoyed the older INI websites that walked me through (though I believe some are out of date or whatnot... they still were a really great place to learn a basic knowledge)

KISSASSIST

Still one of my favorites for learning and quick reference, if there's better, I am unaware... another one I liked for / macro commands was

MQ2MOVEUTILS

Just a couple nuggets that help me sort it out... and then again, asking questions of the community here @ RG has been HUGE!

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

Your fine with shm, its the prefered healer for group content anyway. just use it to PL th warrior up. can do 65 to 80 pretty easily. use shm to take it to Dragonscale Hills minotor camp with a tank merc on shm, will be 75ish in a few hours. then jump up to fort mech to 80, kill merc and rock and roll

To add to what Arander is saying there, House of Thule is a great zone if you have it available. The Grounds connected to it is another one. HoT is around 82ish, and The Grounds are around 85. The named in the Grounds drop Recondite Remnants that can be combined to make T2 armor as well. They are a little expensive (about 15kpp each), but seem to be more than worth it.

Welcome back! I think you'll have a great time with that combo. Plenty of slows and the healings not bad. My main box group i run sk/bst/sham and have alot of fun. There isn't much that can stand against me im able to do most of the group missions and content.

Shaman is a good choice for second char to box. While growing up, sometimes it may seem the Shaman has difficulties healing. But things begin to improve once lvl 105 is reached and gets better from here on. Later on you should be able to easily solo healing with your shaman, using 2 rogue-mercs for max DPS and get all the benefits from the shamans abilities to improve the groups dps.
From the mercs available, the rogue-mercs for my feeling are by far the most useful ones.
Mercs allover are not really good at doing their job. Any ftp-char performs better than any merc.

If you decide to stay with 2 chars, best choice is to have a tank and a priest.
A merc tanc or a merc healer are limiting the most, regarding what content you can do.
If one considers a merc as good as half of what a bad player can get out of a class, one can imagine that using tank-- or priest-mercs may even can be frustrating. A dps-merc may not be able to shine doing his duty, but still adds to the teams dps, without putting the group at risk. Using the shamans abilities, their output gets half decent.

As others have said shaman and warrior is a good combo. Depending on what your playstyle is like you can add a cleric merc for now if you are set on just dual boxing, but in time you will most likely feel the urge to add more characters. When you get comfortable with them you can do some amazing things. A couple things I would add that might help, depending on your skills in working with ini files and coding kissassist will give you a lot of flexibility and the resources section has a lot of ini's that are great jumping off points. If you are not looking for customization and just want the characters to do their own thing (mez spells you have already purchased and not even keep track of what they need to mem) then I would look at either rgmercs or the cwtn macros like mq2war and mq2shaman. Both have very strong points in their favor. If you are worried about purchasing the cwtn macros keep in mind you can do a testcopy of your characters and try them out with the macros for free on the test server to get your feet wet, and then when ready can purchase them on the live server you enjoy. Welcome back!

Welcome back! Lots of great tips already dropped above - and I agree, so long as you have a tanker up front (war/pal/sk) and a shm you have a very solid base. Then you can slide in a bit deeper with some mercs - or jump head first and roll up a whole squad of 6.

Welcome Home Yo GIF by Bombay Softwares

Strategy - Returning EQ Player after 15+ years attempting to 2-box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back