• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Returned to EQ, first time MQ2 user looking for 6 box advice please (1 Viewer)

DabrixRN

RedCents
170¢
So played EQ off and on since launch and just returned for some nostalgia. I have boxed before but only with ISboxer and just running 3 characters. This time around I really want to try running a full group. I was just wondering the pros and cons of melee vs caster setups. I was considering the two comps listed below and would like advice on which would be easier for a first time 6 boxer.

1. SK, Shaman, Bard, Beastlord, Berserker, Rogue
2. SK, Cleric, Enchanter, Druid, Mage, Mage

My goal is to be able to level up quickly and efficiently , then be self sufficient and farm as much of my own gear as possible. Once I get 110+ Id like to go back and one group some old raids like TSS-VoA if thats possible. I assume if I have 20-30 levels on the content it should be a pushover.

Welcome! Group 2 looks more friendly for a first timer. You have redundant healing, as well as some solid DPS and CC. There will be others by shortly to give you some helpful tips and links.

Ask any questions you may have. You will have a great time here!

BigBangTheory_ThunderdomeWelcome.gif

Once I get 110+ Id like to go back and one group some old raids like TSS-VoA if thats possible. I assume if I have 20-30 levels on the content it should be a pushover.
Oh yeah, it looks something like this...

IMG_8048.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on your feeling how your trip through the expansions should be.
Group 1 should be able to gtow up faster, once you reach the high levels, but may be trickier while getting there, as the shaman as main healer begins to shine at around lvl 105.
Group 2 will be easier to handle, as the cleric for shure will make it easier to keep all alive on the way up, as well as the mages are much less gear-dependend. Group 2 has as well 2 offtanks (magepets) for content where mezz-immune mobs have to be hunted down. The druid can help traveling around but may suffer the lack of mana if you would like to kill fast.
The Enchanter for sure is the best cc, but the bard for most scenarios delivers sufficient cc and adds more adps.
For my feeling group 2 should be easier overall, but group 1 will be more efficient killing mobs in the long run.
If your focus is not to get to 120 as fast as possible, but goung the safest and easiest route, I suggest group 2.

I went a mixed route for my main team:
Sk, shm, brd, mage, mage, rogue
shm and bard boost the mages pets a great margin and via the auras also their swarm-pets.
The rogues assasinate helps well, grinding levels and aas.
The mages pets, with taunt on, help great to mitigate damage on the tank.
The shamans different abilities of group hots and similar group-duration-heals keep tank and pets alive.
For tricky content, the rogue can pick up some rezz potions and can drag a mage to coh the group, if you want to run certain content as efficient as possible.
Cleric-buffs are always available via healer-merc.

Last edited:
You're starting from scratch, right? Plugin agnostic, I'd do group 1 but sub in a cleric. Then once you hit 105 or so and can powerlevel swap the shaman back in. Like @Dragonslayer said, unfortunately SHM don't really come online as main healers until 105.

Welcome to RG

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

I like the second group more. I would sub out one of the mages for a necro for the extra utility though.

Welcome to RedGuides!
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

If only there was a sticky that addressed such questions...oh wait!

Some of those raids require more coordination, OT's, etc and 1 group would not cut it. The great news, you can make as many groups as you like.

I actually like the first group more. The second group I would definitely replace the Druid with a Necro. the extra DPS will help with leveling fast. I'm running a Necro/ Mage/Pally PLing an Enchanter today. Obviously I chose these two pet classes for this particular PL because I'm not in an area with humanoids for Rogues and Rangers. The point is killing fast = leveling fast. Pet classes kill fast. As to the pros and cons between a caster group and a melee group, caster need good gear for stats. Melee need good weapons. Your tank will need both. I would actually replace the Bard in the first group with a Necro. But that is a personal preference. Also you should look into The plugins here. They are only $20 and I can personally vouch for most of the classes you are running. Also replacing the Bard with the Necro in the first group gives you redundant rezzes and the first group already can get a mana boost from Paragon from the BST also hast haste. And you can go healing hammers on the BST although with the Shaman plugin you won't likely need to. I hope this helps. Please feel free to keep asking questions. I do every day here. The folks are great. The resources are amazing. Welcome.

Welcome to RG!!!!

Both groups look quite viable, so I think it's more what you want to play. Group 1 may have a bit more DPS but group 2 has ports with the druid so really up to you! Both would run quite well using Kissassist for the bard or druid. Sic put up an ini for the bard I've heard great things about or choose one for the druid. But I would certainly look at cwtn plugin-ins as well for the rest!

Just my 2 Redcents here.

I did the 2nd group (well close to it anyways) first and had a good time with them, leveling was ok, but I wasn't (and still not) in a hurry. What I did find out is that I was having a hard time figuring out the MQ software and how to make it run. That was the first 6 months, then one day I was reading here on these forums and found the MQ2 plugins that Robren911 was referencing a few posts above. I am one of those stubborn types that when I tell myself I am going to do something, well my wife says I am like a bull in a china shop hehe. Anyways, I had yelled (cursed) at my computer before and slammed my hand on my desk, but never threw my monitor, sheesh I'm not THAT crazy. And that was just trying to get MuleAssist to do what I wanted it to do. Anyways I have to say MQ2 plugins saved me. Now I have a whole different attitude. I decided to change my mindset and do things the easy way for once. I bought the Plugins for 4 of my 6 toons and never looked back. Man what a difference, and I have to say I enjoy the game a ton more now. I swear to you it is some of the best money I have spent since I retired. And that is actually saying something lol. I started a second group based on Melee toons and got the Plugins for those at level1. I still have to adjust stuff every level on 2 toons, but that is a ton better than on 6.

My advice to you is to do a bunch of reading before you get too far into leveling. Use the age old concept of Tank, Healer, and CC for your core group and add in 3 DPS the you like. But by all means get your software set up first. Cause there is a butt ton of stuff to learn here. Don't be shy, you run into a problem, get on here and ask. Many great people here, that will help. Here I will start you off on your research...How do you login 6 toons automatically? One after the other. Oh and do you want to display all your toons on the same screen? Do you have 2 monitors? How do you do that? And that, my friend, is just the start lol. Decisions, decisions. Reading is your friend and don't forget google lol.

There you go, welcome to the club and by all means, have some fun.

Vrak

Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry was at a wedding all weekend so havent been able to post a reply yet. I think Im gonna try the caster group and see how that goes. I might just drop the Druid and run with my holy trinity with a Necro and two Mages.

So played EQ off and on since launch and just returned for some nostalgia. I have boxed before but only with ISboxer and just running 3 characters. This time around I really want to try running a full group. I was just wondering the pros and cons of melee vs caster setups. I was considering the two comps listed below and would like advice on which would be easier for a first time 6 boxer.

My goal is to be able to level up quickly and efficiently , then be self sufficient and farm as much of my own gear as possible. Once I get 110+ Id like to go back and one group some old raids like TSS-VoA if thats possible. I assume if I have 20-30 levels on the content it should be a pushover.
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Advice: Tank/Bard/Enc/Cleric for any team you raise from the ground up. If you understand that those 4 seats are fixed on every team you raise then...
  • First 2 Open seats on any team go DPS/Utility or 2X DPS: EX: ROG/BST, or ROG/ROG - NEC/ROGUE, ZRK/MAGE
If you're still with me the rationale is simple. From the get go you have more healing than you need (cleric) and tanks to help you later on in raids with your healing base and tank rotation. Bards are a must for raids and are fantastic adps, and enchanters are for buffs/crowd controlling shit. Doing 1x dps, 1x utility is a nice way to round out your raid force from the group up, although eventually you'll want to switch to 2x DPS as that's what clears shit in raids.

Short and simple, hope that helps.

MQ makes EQ easy. You will probably end up with atleast 1 of each class, max AA with tradeskill armor anyway. Try them all and mix and match =)

I run a similar group to your Option 1 setup. Only difference is i went with a Mage instead of a Rogue.

Welcome to RG. Definitely watch the videos and check out the ini files in the ini library in the resource section. Have fun and Play on! :)

howdy and welcome to the best box community in norrath!!!! RG is an awesome helpful community and these forums have an abundance of information. i would like to add to the conversation that perhaps trying everything out on test server is worth looking at ... a lot of the paid plugins etc are free to try on test

test allows you to give everything a run before you make any financial commitments either to eq or RG.

once again welcome!!!

#1 is literally what I run. I switched over to the rogue and shaman fairly recently, and while the shaman still has a ton of AAs still to go, at 120, my DPS has grown significantly (Somewhere in the 20-30% range) since I switched over to them (from cleric and a monk). I still have a ton of work to do on the whole group (missing heroics, epics on shammy and zerker, rogue only has 1.5, shaman has none of his clickies, bard clicky from time or tacvi, etc), and the group is using a mix of TOL and NOS armor, augs are a mix of COV, TOL and NOS so Im not the best geared/complete, but Im super happy with where I am right now and what I can do (can kill anything in current xpac - raids excluded obv). One point tho is, shammy is squishy AF for whatever reason vs a cleric atleast for me. If he heals when SK is pulling a bunch and gets aggro, he can die quick even though he has better AC and HP than most of my crew (except SK). I ALWAYS keep rez tokens on hand now that I switched over to shammy full time. I keep them on all my characters so I can try to rez shammy while BST heals SK between lifetaps.

Totally agree with the above comment tho. Try stuff out on test and see what you like. You can use the plugins for free before purchasing anything if you plan on going the plugin route.

Discussion - Returned to EQ, first time MQ2 user looking for 6 box advice please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back