• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Post your IRL Setup (1 Viewer)

I have just returned to the game after about 15 years away from live content, and found this post as I was trying to make sense of the plethora of information found on these forums... (Awesome community, awesome tools, and a whole new world of EQ!)

So as I consider myself a "computer enthusiast" and love to build PC's with watercooling and especially in non-standard cases, i present my latest build below I built last year right before the virus started.

Specs:
Case: Lian_Li_DK-04X
CPU: Intel i9-10980XE
MB: Asus Prime x99 Edition 30
RAM: 64GB (GSKILL Trident-Z RGB 4x16GB KIT 3600Mhz)
Monitor: Samsung C49RG9xSS
VGA: Asus Dual-RTX2080S-O8G-EVO
PSU: Corsair HX1200i
Sound Card (yeah i know... but i like it): SoundBlaster AE-9
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
And 7*3TB Toshiba HDD

Clean when it was finished:

And for a bit of inside look: Custom hardline watercooling using EKWB parts for CPU and GPU blocks.

And a better view of the guts:

I built another comp for my wife with a slightly different spec and I can post that too if anyone is interested (we play together from time to time, but not EQ sadly...). I also have a "progress" slideshow of pictures, showing how i built these comps that I can share :)

Cheers

is that a Lian Li Desk? thats rather neat, i've never seen that before!

how quiet is the rig with all the fans? Enough airflow through that they dont have to run at high rpm?

Love this setup. that Samsung is so nice. I considered it big time but I’m not ready to give up to keyboards/pcs as I like tomanually control my dps outside of positioning - and the 49 would take up the whole desk I feel like. I blame this thread and setups like yours for making me spend money.

I ended up buying a new pc and a 32 inch monitor to go alongside the existing 34. Probably should have matched them more but I like the more square setup for the second pc. Only downside is I decided to go prebuilt since graphics card are truly impossible t find and I don’t see that changing this year at all. Picked up a decent deal on an Alienware with an RT2080 Super, 32 gig ram, 1tb SSD and Ryzen 7 3800x.

New office chair arrived as wel and I have to say I really like the new omega after a day of sitting in it for work.

View attachment 28156

a good, COMFY chair is worth every penny..

I had to give up the one I bought in 1997 from Staples.. and it was soo damn comfy.. and the replacement sucks! considering i spent 3x on it too, rather pisses me off!

a good, COMFY chair is worth every penny..

I had to give up the one I bought in 1997 from Staples.. and it was soo damn comfy.. and the replacement sucks! considering i spent 3x on it too, rather pisses me off!

Biggest problem I feel like is you have to order and test it. I literally built the SecretLabs chair this morning to replace a decent leather chair and I loved that one but fake leather was pealing. This new Omega I find super comfy and adjustable it's got a firmer back but man is the head pillow nice and they make a back pillow if you want one that's similar. Personally I couldn't recommend this one more. Love all the adjustability whether it's my work desk or game setup (use both corners of room and just wheel back and forth).

Biggest problem I feel like is you have to order and test it. I literally built the SecretLabs chair this morning to replace a decent leather chair and I loved that one but fake leather was pealing. This new Omega I find super comfy and adjustable it's got a firmer back but man is the head pillow nice and they make a back pillow if you want one that's similar. Personally I couldn't recommend this one more. Love all the adjustability whether it's my work desk or game setup (use both corners of room and just wheel back and forth).

yeah exactly, gotta test drive it first! And of course, every freakin thing is online nowadays..

Well hope that one lasts you a long time!!

Same problem here, my comfy old leather chair is falling apart. I'm contemplating SecretLabs, either real leather or fabric. I hope this thing is worth the money, never paid more then $200 for a chair.

Same problem here, my comfy old leather chair is falling apart. I'm contemplating SecretLabs, either real leather or fabric. I hope this thing is worth the money, never paid more then $200 for a chair.

So for me I like it so far because it’s firm but has padding in key places like the pillow. But if you are somebody who wants a completely marshmellow office chair you won’t like it. Mosto f complaints I’ve seen tend to be people who fine it to firm. Form e i find the back support incredible.

I went cloth this time since I hated that the fake leather pealed. Love it.

SecretLabs all the way.. Got one last year when the company went to WFH. Love it.. so does the GF.. enough so that I old her if she wants my chair, she can have it and I'll order the bigger one lol

is that a Lian Li Desk? thats rather neat, i've never seen that before!

how quiet is the rig with all the fans? Enough airflow through that they dont have to run at high rpm?

Yep its a Lian_Li_DK-04X - has a motoric height adjustment fuction that is very handy when doing maintenance (cleaning, draining/refilling the water). The case has good airflow, and the watercooling actually made it possible to just run with the pump only when not gaming or doing CPU/GPU heavy tasks. When I am running multiple EQ instances or playing a newer game the fans spin up a bit but it is not disturbing, just a low hum. The only issue i found was that the radiator fans pump out the air through the radiator right on my lap... So next maintenance I will reverse all fans so that these will be intake and the back 4 will be moving all hot air at the back of the case. I hope it will not be a major hit on the thermals, will have to see...

Love this setup. that Samsung is so nice. I considered it big time but I’m not ready to give up to keyboards/pcs as I like tomanually control my dps outside of positioning - and the 49 would take up the whole desk I feel like. I blame this thread and setups like yours for making me spend money.

I ended up buying a new pc and a 32 inch monitor to go alongside the existing 34. Probably should have matched them more but I like the more square setup for the second pc. Only downside is I decided to go prebuilt since graphics card are truly impossible t find and I don’t see that changing this year at all. Picked up a decent deal on an Alienware with an RT2080 Super, 32 gig ram, 1tb SSD and Ryzen 7 3800x.

New office chair arrived as wel and I have to say I really like the new omega after a day of sitting in it for work.

That chair looks sweet! As for the monitor - it has a PBP mode that allows you to split the screen between 2 input sources in the middle - this is how I do my home office working - input 1 is work laptop, input 2 is my own rig. So it is essentially 2 monitors in one if you want to use it that way. As it has a total of 3 input sources (2 DP and a HDMI) you can also switch between rigs this way when not working for example.

my daily setup :)
few desktops few laptops..

buncha lenevo's/
dekstops are i7s , 8gb gtx cards, 3x 8gb sticks
nothing fancy but does what i want. :)

( i bought a few 2x arm monitor holders from walmart for 25$, they help. for in a row.. they have a 4x holder but price went way up in difference.

Attachments

• PCsetup.jpg
    PCsetup.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • keypads.jpg
    keypads.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210325_204946.jpg
    20210325_204946.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
Here's my setup, or at least what it looked like before 1000's of hours of gaming.... :p I really wanted to foot pedals (for space sims) but I wanted a standing desk and didn't want to rely on sitting to play some games.

image1.jpeg

Update to my setup. I got a new computer and retired the laptop to work duty. It means I lost a monitor but running SEQ and 6 boxes on the laptop turned it into a jet engine. FAE39014-A183-4CE2-8024-1ADBD67C700F.jpeg

I only just found this thread because of recent posts. I was away for a year and a half so missed all this.

Its awesome seeing all your guys setups! Some seriously crazy stuff too! Multi-pc multi monitor, i'm jealous!!

This is my current setup, I went through the old Ikea desks, and they kept falling apart after a couple years, and finally got tired of it and decided i was going to build my own.. First iteration was going to be wood, but then I had this brainwave... I wanted to do something different.. and loved the idea of a clear desk.. I made this about 2-3 years ago out of a 1" thick slab of acrylic.. i had to special order it from a plastics store, took a few weeks and was delivered.. it weighed a TON, big 5' x 6' slab.. I took it to a local forge that has a water jet that cuts at like 2000psi.. i made a real basic CAD drawing for them to use for dimensions, arc etc... It had to be water jet cut because its plastic, couldnt get hot or would melt the edges and craze it..

Once i had it cut and got it back home, i set it up in my garage and routered the edges nice n round.. then sanded it a ton.. started 100 grit, 200 dry, then went 600, 1000, 2000 wet, then used a buffing wheel with a wax applicant to do the final polishing of the edges.. made the legs out of 2" steel tubing that i also polished with just dry 600 grit to give the brushed steel look..

I work with wood a lot but never did a project with acrylic before, and I was very pleased with how it turned out..

This pic is when it was freshly done, pc set up and ready to go.. its now a mess of clutter and everything!

So its just my main box on the floor in a high air flow case, and 2 x 27" asus monitors.. the ol work laptop on the left gettin NO LOVE!

View attachment 27323
Your desk is amazing dude, job well done!

I never miss a chance to show off the beast.
6C9EBA4E-3D07-4456-A37E-79BE3E26DF14.jpeg
It’s getting a little long in the tooth, but was a blast to build. My next build will not have any custom built liquid cooled items. Just too much ongoing maintenance involved. These days I just want to turn it on and play.

-G

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing too intense; Mischief is truebox, so I use my pc for one account and my laptop plugged into my 2nd monitor for the 2nd account. I’d like to maybe add another box in the future. Gotta build up a little wife faction before I attempt to buy a new device, though 🙃

I DBCE01C9-1C3B-4B03-BCDB-7A149FDF500E.jpeg

Glad someone besides me runs a single monitor. I used to run a curved one but the living room needed an upgrade. That is when I get time to play again.

I'm only on 1 screen aswell... I'm somewhat envious of some (if not all) these clean setups !

Got 1 square screen and a mini pc.
Could do everything I need so far.

EIZO FlexScan EV2730Q-BK 26.5" TFT Monitor (1920x1920 / IPS Panel / 5ms / Black)

1640153144060.png
HUNSN 8K Mini PC,Gaming...

1640153214279.png

Last edited by a moderator:
All these setups are amazing. Currently I am using:

Alienware Aurora R6 (Intel i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz/16 GB RAM)
Samsung SynchMaster PX2370 Monitor running @ 1920 x 1080
NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 (Refresh 60Hz)
Standard Keyboard that came with computer
Razor Taipan Mouse
Logitech speaker system

All sitting on a Walmart 4' foldable table and a standard kitchen chair. (Definitely need an upgrade).

I can run six versions of EQ on this without any trouble. I would love to run multiple monitors as I am ALT-TABing between EQs and all the other things I have open.

Would getting more monitors and a video card or a single upgraded monitor and video card be the better option? Any suggestions would be great. Price is always the limiting factor. I am leaning to a better single monitor as I am reading the responses regarding the faster refresh rates.

My setup is not nearly as elaborate as these. One monitor, one box. I recently upgraded about a year ago with this from IBuyPower for under $2000.

Intel® Core™ i7-10700K Processor (8x 3.80 GHz /16MB L3 Cache)
ASUS PRIME Z490-P - WiFi, ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (4 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - G.SKILL Ripjaws V
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
850 Watt - NZXT 850W C850 Fully Modular - 80 PLUS Gold
240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 3500MB/s; Write: 3300MB/s

For those with multiple instances of EQ per monitor, what elements of the UI do you not use in order to actually see? I am trying to 6 box on 1 PC with 2 monitors, and the biggest issue I am having is not being able to see the actual game.

For those with multiple instances of EQ per monitor, what elements of the UI do you not use in order to actually see? I am trying to 6 box on 1 PC with 2 monitors, and the biggest issue I am having is not being able to see the actual game.
with how good mq and automation is these days, I only display my primary toon on screen.

for me at least, gone are the days of tiling and displaying multiple toons to make sure they're doing their job

Discussion - Post your IRL Setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back