• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - planned changes i.e nerfs to HS, Beaming, Swarming, Decap and 4K free AAs* (1 Viewer)

psimoon

RedCents
813¢
The devs have decided that their nacho chip (Tm) based servers cannot handle beaming as it stress the zones too much. So in order to fix that they have decided to "Fix" other things as well such as SK/cleric swarming,HS and Decap. Oh well, i guess the Zerker I was leveling up can be shelved.

Here is the thread from the official forums:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...-for-gold-members-and-ability-changes.207363/

*for gold accounts only.

Enjoy....

P.

I don't. People will complain, a few people will quit, but in the end the people who are whining will do exactly what they've done before: whine more and play. Plus, they had to do something to appease the people who would have only gotten that 4-5k AA through PLing (granted there are a lot of useless ones you get...)

I will most likely not continue to play EQ. Or gaming at all for that matter. I'm thinking of taking up the electric guitar again. I enjoyed it when I was younger.

There will be plenty of "i quit" and rage posts, but you get that with every significant update of any kind. I for one will be glad to be bringing max AA lvl 85 chars into HAs to level them up the rest of the way.

If I was actually playing the game "correctly," I would miss the AA grinding in old world dungeons in the 60s and 70s when leveling up a new alt.

Auto granting of AA is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Several better ideas are in the forums such as 100% xp/aa Xp from 51-85. This will result in more useless level 85 toons that do not know half their abilities. Ah well, at least Kissassist with a good ini file will let them play at 90%!

wow, these the Devs should run for Congress. That kind of brilliant thinking would go far in Washington. If the issue is CPU spikes caused from mob swarming I can think of several changes that would curtail swarming without nerfing existing abilities in the game or making fundamental play style changes. And they could be added or removed based on zone so retuning or strategy changes in raid events wouldn't be required. This is a lot bigger then just anti swarming changes. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they already implemented code in some zones that would make mobs lose interest once you exceeded a set number (like 10 or so). This is a total redefining of what class abilities are and what they can do in EQ. I wasn't a fan at all of beam kiting or anything that caused zone disruptions just because it was rude and disrespectful to other players, but it's odd though, the timing of these anti PLing techniques come in the same timeframe when SoE discusses releasing a SC version of the PL via Heroic Characters. There is already a "policy" against causing zone disruptions, but if you ever tried to get a GM to do anything about it, they wouldn't even talk to you about it. Now though, they are gonna make a dozen core changes to class and spell abilities to address an issue that wasn't important enough for them to even talk to you about before. The AA thing is beyond stupid, but it isn't like getting AAs is even an issue now days with HZ missions, but at least people made an attempt. Next thing will be 100 AA potions for 250 SC.

I don't. People will complain, a few people will quit, but in the end the people who are whining will do exactly what they've done before: whine more and play. Plus, they had to do something to appease the people who would have only gotten that 4-5k AA through PLing (granted there are a lot of useless ones you get...)

Description of the entire MMO world. Actually, I suppose that would be better fitted to the gaming world; constant complaints but continuing to play patch in and patch out. This almost reminds me of the CoD series. The CoD players complain every year that they are paying for nothing more than a map / skin pack. I have reverse engineered every CoD game since MW2 and I can tell you that this is correct - with the exception of BO2 which at least implemented a new rendering system. Until players start refusing to pay for these changes then they will continue to happen and, if that's the case, let's face it, nothing will change. ;)

WTS 2 x mage, 3 x ranger and 1 x sk /cry

Sad news for EQ, all they had to do was put a limit on mage beaming and be done with it, instead they kill all fun things in EQ and give it for free :S

You know, it is almost like they are trying to sunset EQ1 to herd people to EQN... Also, Dutch is right, everything that was causing the server spikes was Mage beaming. They could have said that beams only affect 15 mobs now and be done with it. Clerics were not swarming 20+ lt blues. I usually only swarmed that many if they were deep grey.

P.

yup i am ready to drop my 9 year account. im going out of town and my gold expires so may as well quit playing

its simple they cant sell 85 level chars to new players if folks can pl get rid of pl for masses folks buy the insta 85 chars they kil two birds with one stone

It's still easy to make level 85 characters, even if ALL nerfs go through, the point is they remove a lot of fun and a way of life in EQ and that *%**$&# me off :S

I personally like the changes. I have both a mage and an SK, and I think swarming in general ruined the game (I've swarmed the shit outta my SK, and still I think it's dumb, I don't even do it anymore, not even to PL). I also feel the free AAs are more beneficial than harmful. If you're trying to entice people to play, having 12k AAs to look forward to grinding is a daunting task. All the changes they make are trying to get more people to play, and I agree with them. Giving bonuses to paying for gold while not putting restrictions in play for people who aren't gold is always good. I still think they should get rid of that stupid prestige crap, but oh well, extra AAs for going gold is nice start.

Lol to all those who think these nerfs are coming due to server lag!!!! They are going to grant one Heroic toon with aa per account/server watch. After that you will see Heroic Characters in Marketplace for 35 bucks each. They cut out any fast way of PL to promote the sale of their own premade toons.

Lol to all those who think these nerfs are coming due to server lag!!!! They are going to grant one Heroic toon with aa per account/server watch. After that you will see Heroic Characters in Marketplace for 35 bucks each. They cut out any fast way of PL to promote the sale of their own premade toons.

To be fair, the current cost of a level 85 character with 250 AA's is more than $35 (reference = $50), so if SoE put their price at $35 for Heroic Characters with a lot of AA without changing any of the PL mechanics, they would still be undercutting the current market.

This is for everquest2 not everquest.

I am fully aware it is from eq2 and it sounds like they are cloning this. They have not announced if there will be a limit or not to how many toons you can do this too. But, Given the recent nerfs coming it is exactly what I see coming.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, the current cost of a level 85 character with 250 AA's is more than $35 (reference = $50), so if SoE put their price at $35 for Heroic Characters with a lot of AA without changing any of the PL mechanics, they would still be undercutting the current market.
Yes I understand your reference but given the cost of in game PLing for plat that standard is far from accurate. With beams from 85-100 would be roughly 2 million plat or 50 bucks. And that is 85-100. Same with decapping/swarming at low levels you can get alot more out of your PL in plat versus RL cash. And if they do away with in game PURE POWER LEVELING(Ie Beaming/Swarming) they stand to make money at 35 bucks a piece. Last time I seen aa PLing for sale from a site it was .06 an aa under 4k that equals out to 240 bucks.

So in the end I firmly believe the nerf is coming to do away with or hinder in game PLing for plat and by them doing that it just ripples down to those doing it for cash.

if they dont bring in the heroic char.. then the AA's are a good thing for sell's.
lvl 95 toon with 4K AA for $95..
if they do bring in heroic char its not going to be worth lvling them up to try undercut soe.
spend a week AFK botting or grinding how eva you do it. for $20. or maybe push $40-$45 for a 95

It's not stated anywhere. This is why threads like this should be taken with a grain of salt in general unless you're willing to put forth the effort to read every detail of proposed changes.

On my server alone, there are random idiots (and I say idiots, because they never bother to actually read, just spout off) in general chat crying about how SKs wont be able to tank a mob because they are nerfing lifetap procs on riposte.

Let the changes happen before you call outrage if you're not even going to bother to research the changes yourselves.

/rant

I stand corrected

To close, I want to talk to you about something exciting we have on the horizon, and it's one of the things we haven't discussed previously: Heroic Characters. If you follow or play EverQuest II, this might sound familiar to you. They recently launched Heroic Characters which permits returning players to create a Level 85 Character, allowing players the ability to try out different classes at a higher level and also giving quicker access to high level areas. Our offer of Heroic Characters will be very similar to EverQuest II's, though our offer will be unique to EverQuest. After all, the games are not the same, so there are just some things that will be different in order to better suit our game. We are just getting underway on this project, so stay tuned for more information!
Thank you for playing EverQuest!

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/november-producers-letter.205020/

Yes I understand your reference but given the cost of in game PLing for plat that standard is far from accurate. With beams from 85-100 would be roughly 2 million plat or 50 bucks. And that is 85-100. Same with decapping/swarming at low levels you can get alot more out of your PL in plat versus RL cash. And if they do away with in game PURE POWER LEVELING(Ie Beaming/Swarming) they stand to make money at 35 bucks a piece. Last time I seen aa PLing for sale from a site it was .06 an aa under 4k that equals out to 240 bucks.

So in the end I firmly believe the nerf is coming to do away with or hinder in game PLing for plat and by them doing that it just ripples down to those doing it for cash.

I finally get what you are saying (I'm a bit dense), but have you tried power leveling 1-85 without swarms? The only difficult levels are 60-70 when you can't quite group yet, but your 100 can't handle ds style trains anymore (average gear non-tank anyway). You just have to do fade/zoneline/fd/charm PLing, which is still fairly fast. In essence, those levels will remain cheap even after the nerfs.

However, I don't see why everyone assumes that the heroic characters will only be 85. 90 or even 95 seems much more likely if you compare it to EQ2's program, at which point I would tend to agree with this analysis, as post 85 experience slows down significantly.

I finally get what you are saying (I'm a bit dense), but have you tried power leveling 1-85 without swarms? The only difficult levels are 60-70 when you can't quite group yet, but your 100 can't handle ds style trains anymore (average gear non-tank anyway). You just have to do fade/zoneline/fd/charm PLing, which is still fairly fast. In essence, those levels will remain cheap even after the nerfs.

However, I don't see why everyone assumes that the heroic characters will only be 85. 90 or even 95 seems much more likely if you compare it to EQ2's program, at which point I would tend to agree with this analysis, as post 85 experience slows down significantly.

PoK instance from 60-70 is a breeze with any high level as the "tank".

If it only works with Shining Armor then I don't know how I've been doing it with a Mage with a cleric merc.

Greetings,

After carefully considering your feedback and weighing our options, we plan to implement some modifications to our originally announced changes in the February Update.

AA Grant for Gold Members

Our current plan is to automatically grant AAs up to four expansions behind the current expansion, if the player opts to do so. Clicking a checkbox in the AA window will enable the granting option and any eligible AAs will be applied the next time the character zones or levels. The option can be disabled at any time if you no longer wish to receive granted AAs, though any AA received via auto-granting will be retained should you decide to later disable this functionality.

Characters that wish to take advantage of the experience bonus for low-AA count will want to do so before enabling the auto-grant option, as any AA received via auto-granting will count against the bonus. At higher levels, the auto-granted AA could completely exhaust the bonus experience.

Based upon player feedback to the initially proposed changes, Spell Casting Subtlety and Tradeskill Mastery AAs will NOT be automatically granted. These abilities can still be earned as normal, but because they are not beneficial under every circumstance we want to make sure you have the choice of whether you want to have them.

Ability and Spell Changes

Our original proposed changes to Shadow Knights involved the removal of lifetap procs from ripostes, which may have had the side effect of negatively impacting how well they could tank in non-swarming situations. Based on feedback from a number of Shadow Knights we have decided on the following changes instead:

Mortal Coil will have a reasonable hit limit applied. This limit should not affect normal game play usage, while reducing its effectiveness for swarm killing.
Abilities such as Lich Sting WILL continue to work on riposted attacks, but with a reasonable hit limit applied. This limit should not affect normal game play usage, while reducing its effectiveness for swarm killing.

Another option that was frequently requested was the ability for players to halt all progress in their leveling if they so choose. As a result, the Glyph of Indeterminable Reward will have its level reduced to 51 and all the Alaran Knowledge requirements will be removed. Anyone who wants the ability to slow down their leveling can remove excess experience through use of this glyph.

Finally, with the reduction in procs to the Headshot, Assassinate, and Decapitate abilities, we felt comfortable making these abilities more relevant to current EverQuest. As such, these abilities at their maximum AA will now work on mobs up to a player's current level -1. For example, a level 100 Rogue with maxed out Assassinate will be able to assassinate level 99 mobs.

We'd like to thank all the players who have contributed feedback so far, and hope that you continue to give feedback on our now updated plans.

Regards,

The EverQuest Team

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to be leveling a zerker/rogue for my main box group in place of my monk/wizard if this goes through, I think.

Piestro already confurmed Heroic Characters will happen. Somewhere on page 60+

- - - Updated - - -

New plans posted:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...the-february-update-developer-updates.207587/

Greetings,

After carefully considering your feedback and weighing our options, we plan to implement some modifications to our originally announced changes in the February Update.

AA Grant for Gold Members

Our current plan is to automatically grant AAs up to four expansions behind the current expansion, if the player opts to do so. Clicking a checkbox in the AA window will enable the granting option and any eligible AAs will be applied the next time the character zones or levels. The option can be disabled at any time if you no longer wish to receive granted AAs, though any AA received via auto-granting will be retained should you decide to later disable this functionality.

Characters that wish to take advantage of the experience bonus for low-AA count will want to do so before enabling the auto-grant option, as any AA received via auto-granting will count against the bonus. At higher levels, the auto-granted AA could completely exhaust the bonus experience.

Based upon player feedback to the initially proposed changes, Spell Casting Subtlety and Tradeskill Mastery AAs will NOT be automatically granted. These abilities can still be earned as normal, but because they are not beneficial under every circumstance we want to make sure you have the choice of whether you want to have them.

Ability and Spell Changes

Our original proposed changes to Shadow Knights involved the removal of lifetap procs from ripostes, which may have had the side effect of negatively impacting how well they could tank in non-swarming situations. Based on feedback from a number of Shadow Knights we have decided on the following changes instead:
Mortal Coil will have a reasonable hit limit applied. This limit should not affect normal game play usage, while reducing its effectiveness for swarm killing.
Abilities such as Lich Sting WILL continue to work on riposted attacks, but with a reasonable hit limit applied. This limit should not affect normal game play usage, while reducing its effectiveness for swarm killing.
Another option that was frequently requested was the ability for players to halt all progress in their leveling if they so choose. As a result, the Glyph of Indeterminable Reward will have its level reduced to 51 and all the Alaran Knowledge requirements will be removed. Anyone who wants the ability to slow down their leveling can remove excess experience through use of this glyph.

Finally, with the reduction in procs to the Headshot, Assassinate, and Decapitate abilities, we felt comfortable making these abilities more relevant to current EverQuest. As such, these abilities at their maximum AA will now work on mobs up to a player's current level -1. For example, a level 100 Rogue with maxed out Assassinate will be able to assassinate level 99 mobs.

We'd like to thank all the players who have contributed feedback so far, and hope that you continue to give feedback on our now updated plans.

Regards,
The EverQuest Team

PrathunSOE, Yesterday at 6:53 PM

I don't mind the Heroic toons. But it upsets me that SoE is using server lag as an excuse to do away with swarm PLing methods. Hell zerkers just last expansion finally had decap fixed. What happened to our sub fees? Sure as hell didn't go to new servers thats for sure. Also the graph they had sure looked like peak play times versus just from swarming. So Now they will do away with swarming,blame the server lag on that, and then charge you for heroic characters. I said it before and I will say it again. Next thing you know they will have advanced maps,assisted melee,tracking for all classes so long as you buy it from us using Station Cash. And I refuse to pay SC for heroic toons when they obviously can't use the cureent funds they recieve to make any server upgrades. Let alone release a proper expansion.

The way it is now they are detouring you from old zones by adding most relevant augs and gear from level 85+ on the heroic adventure vendors. And all that does is overcrowd new zones promoting even more server lag versus people being spread through zones and actually camping items and mobs.

I think the free AA is actually a GOOD thing for the game. It will promote returning players to come back and not feel so stuck with having to level normal exp as well as AA's (assuming they don't have much help).

I do think they are foolish for nerfing the swarm abilties though. Rogues got screwed even more as theirs was already crappy compared to Zerkers & Rangers.

Discussion - planned changes i.e nerfs to HS, Beaming, Swarming, Decap and 4K free AAs*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back